BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Act Naturally

Old Jan 15, 2005, 10:35 AM   #21
Georgia
Day Tripper

Default Re: Should \"A Hard Day\'s Night\" be colorized?

No! Never! I love black & white movies and I'm sure I'm not the only one!
Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 04:23 PM   #22
Kbird909
Day Tripper

[ QUOTE ]
ilovejohnlennon Posted:
i think they should release a dvd where you have the choice to see it in both colour and black and white.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking exactly the same thing and was about to post it before I read this.
Kbird909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 05:46 PM   #23
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

If it had originally been shot in color, it would have been cool to see in color, but "colorizing" looks way too fake. I think bxw suits this movie better anyway - pieces of it being almost pseudo-documentary style and all. If it's not broke, don't fix it.
Rellevart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 05:53 AM   #24
beatlemad
Taxman

I wish some of todays films were shot in B&W.
I have a copy of Oceans 11 this way and it's great!
beatlemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 12:22 PM   #25
Bexy_Starkey
Dr. Robert

<font color="purple"> yeah, that double dvd sounds groovy, as long as they didn't make ya pay twice as much for it. but still, the originals are the best!
peace n love, bexy x x x</font>
Bexy_Starkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 05:45 PM   #26
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

[ QUOTE ]
Rellevart Posted:
If it had originally been shot in color, it would have been cool to see in color, but "colorizing" looks way too fake. I think bxw suits this movie better anyway - pieces of it being almost pseudo-documentary style and all. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. It ain't broke and it don't need no coloring.
I think coloring it at this juncture would look very
fake indeed.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 05:47 PM   #27
Celebrian
Bulldog

I love black and white, particularly in photos and movies. So, no I would not like to see it in color. That's what we have Help! and the others for
Celebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 11:34 PM   #28
IFeelFine
Little Child

I see no harm in it if it's an additional option on a DVD, rather like some of the Laurel and Hardy films.

I agree they don't seem right somehow in colour, but I'd be interested to see Hard Days Night in colour at least once.
IFeelFine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 09:30 AM   #29
PeaceLove& Beatles
Fool On The Hill

<font color="red"> No way, man.

Or maybe once in color would be interesting. </font>
PeaceLove& Beatles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 04:55 PM   #30
HeyBeatle
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HeyBeatle Send a message via MSN to HeyBeatle

I wouldn't want it to be colorized, I just love movies in their original format.
HeyBeatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2005, 05:35 PM   #31
beatlelover45223

[ QUOTE ]
Celebrian Posted:
I love black and white, particularly in photos and movies. So, no I would not like to see it in color. That's what we have Help! and the others for

[/ QUOTE ]

I could not have said it better...
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 09:53 AM   #32
BeatlesScruff
Mr. Moonlight

It may be perfect the way it is.. but Help used to be black and white, then they put it in color. I say it looks so much better. AHDN will still be the same, the black and white film will always be there, but I'd like to see it in color, too. Now, that is just my opinion and I am probably the only one saying yes, but I say yes damn it. LOL

Tiff Lennon
BeatlesScruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 09:57 AM   #33
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

[ QUOTE ]
BeatlesScruff Posted:
It may be perfect the way it is.. but Help used to be black and white, then they put it in color. I say it looks so much better. AHDN will still be the same, the black and white film will always be there, but I'd like to see it in color, too. Now, that is just my opinion and I am probably the only one saying yes, but I say yes damn it. LOL

Tiff Lennon

[/ QUOTE ]

Help! was ALWAYS in color. It was filmed in color. It was never black and white, it was MADE as a color film. AHDN was made in black and white mostly because it was a lot cheaper, and people thought the Beatles were just a flash in the pan anyway, so why spend the money to make a color film? And I think it would be horrid if they colorized it! But anyway, once they'd proven their "staying power," their second film was going to be color right from its inception.

Just wondering, where did you get the info that Help! was black and white and had been colorized? Because that is a HUGE gaffe, and I'd hate to think that there are books out there that are spreading such erroneous info!
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 09:59 AM   #34
BeatlesScruff
Mr. Moonlight

[ QUOTE ]
HMVNipper Posted:
[ QUOTE ]
BeatlesScruff Posted:

Tiff Lennon

[/ QUOTE ]

Help! was ALWAYS in color. It was filmed in color. It was never black and white, it was MADE as a color film. AHDN was made in black and white mostly because it was a lot cheaper, and people thought the Beatles were just a flash in the pan anyway, so why spend the money to make a color film? And I think it would be horrid if they colorized it! But anyway, once they'd proven their "staying power," their second film was going to be color right from its inception.

Just wondering, where did you get the info that Help! was black and white and had been colorized? Because that is a HUGE gaffe, and I'd hate to think that there are books out there that are spreading such erroneous info!

[/ QUOTE ]

well I assumed because there are several pictures of scenes in Help that are in black and white. I swear I once read it somewhere too, so it's not even my fault.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 11:44 AM   #35
HMVNipper
Sun King

[ QUOTE ]
BeatlesScruff Posted:
[ QUOTE ]
HMVNipper Posted:
[ QUOTE ]
BeatlesScruff Posted:

Tiff Lennon

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well I assumed because there are several pictures of scenes in Help that are in black and white. I swear I once read it somewhere too, so it's not even my fault.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not blaming you for anything, Tiff! I just wanted to know where you got the information, that's all, because that's a pretty big error if there are books saying it! I've got over 200 Beatles books in my own personal library, and I know that all the ones that mention Help! say that it was a color film from the get-go.

Just FYI, frequently there are black and white promo pictures for color films -- so those pics you saw were probably just black and white pics created from color negatives. I've seen black and white pics from Help! too, but the film itself is color.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 06:58 PM   #36
SpaceDaisy42
Mr. Moonlight

Send a message via AIM to SpaceDaisy42

So I am ahgue fan of all the black and white photos and so forth of the Beatles. I think someone mentioned that it was more artistic or whatever earlier, I am in agreement there. I like the movie in black and white because it has a certain artistic quality to it. plus, it just wouldn't be the same in color.
SpaceDaisy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 03:16 AM   #37
BeatlesScruff
Mr. Moonlight

I really like black and white, too. It leaves a blank so you could use your imagination. I take photos, I have a choice of black and white or color. I normally choose black and white due to the mysterious wonders for viewers.

The black and white film in A Hard Day's Night makes it more interesting. I think that maybe if it was in color, it would take some of the excitement away. But I still wouldn't mind seeing it in color, and even owning it in color. But I am sure, like most, would prefer the B&amp;W version.

I love the Beatles.

Tiff Lennon
Old Jan 19, 2005, 08:30 AM   #38
NaomiMcCartney
Paperback Writer

Send a message via Yahoo to NaomiMcCartney

I think it's crazy how some people won't watch a movie just because it's black n white. It shouldn't matter if the movie is black n white it's the plot or the humor or anything of that matter that makes the movie. Black n white movies are just as good as colorized movies. I think black n white makes a movie look more artsy. Back in the day during the 20's and most of the 30's black n white was all they had. Color didn't come out till around the late 30's or 40's. I can not remember when exactly. I believe The Wizard of Oz was the first movie that had color in it.

Could someone else answer this question?
NaomiMcCartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 09:17 AM   #39
HMVNipper
Sun King

Well, here's a website with a little info...I've pasted in the part that discusses what you want to know, Naomi.

http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/oldcolor/

Note:
Nobody knows what the first color movie was.
I provide this fact in order to save time for the
hundreds of people that do searches to find this
information.
It was definitely NOT The Wizard of Oz.
Color movies date back to the 1890s in one form or other.

I do know (I took some film courses in college) that color films have been around since the very beginning -- only back then they were hand-colored or tinted, the film itself was not color film.

Here is a page with some very good information about early color films. I've pasted in the pertinent info:

http://www.filmsite.org/30sintro.html

Two-Color and Three-Color (Full-Color) Technicolor Development:

One of the first 'color' films was Thomas Edison's hand-tinted short Annabell's Butterfly Dance. Two-color (red and green) feature films were the first color films produced, including the first two-color feature film The Toll of the Sea, and then better-known films such as Stage Struck (1925) and The Black Pirate (1926). It would take the development of a new three-color camera, in 1932, to usher in true full-color Technicolor.

The first film (a short) in three-color Technicolor was Walt Disney's animated talkie Flowers and Trees (1932) in the Silly Symphony series. [However, others claim that the first-ever color cartoon was Ted Eschbaugh's bizarre Goofy Goat Antics (1931).] In the next year, Disney also released the colorful animation - The Three Little Pigs (1933). In 1934, the first full-color, live-action short was released - La Cucaracha (1934).

Hollywood's first full-length feature film photographed entirely in three-strip Technicolor was Rouben Mamoulian's Becky Sharp (1935) - an adaptation of English novelist William Makepeace Thackeray's Napoleonic-era novel Vanity Fair. The first musical in full-color Technicolor was Dancing Pirate (1936). And the first outdoor drama filmed in full-color was The Trail of the Lonesome Pine (1936).

In the late 30s, two beloved films, The Wizard of Oz (1939) and Gone with the Wind (1939), were expensively produced with Technicolor - what would the Wizard of Oz (with ruby slippers and a yellow brick road) be without color? And the trend would continue into the next decade in classic MGM musicals such as Meet Me in St. Louis (1944) and Easter Parade (1948). Special-effects processes were advanced by the late 1930s, making it possible for many more films to be shot on sets rather than on-location (e.g., The Hurricane (1937) and Captains Courageous (1937).) In 1937, the Disney-produced Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) was the first feature-length animated film - a milestone. The colorful Grimm fairy tale was premiered by Walt Disney Studios - becoming fast known for pioneering sophisticated animation.

Hope this helps and answers some questions!
Old Jan 19, 2005, 03:55 PM   #40
BeatlesScruff
Mr. Moonlight

Black and white films are artistic and I love them. I really love it when they are doing time differences, part of it in B&amp;W and other parts in color. Sort of like the Wizard of the Oz, and the new Phantom of the Opera movie.

Tiff Lennon