BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Aug 21, 2012, 04:41 PM   #501
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
.If it was such an issue that Paul be acclaimed for his avant garde virtuoso, words should have been expressed years ago, when John was still alive. .
Don't forget that when Paul was into avant gard and the swinging 60s art scene, Brian Epstein was still alive and controlling their image. Paul himself felt a little frustration at some of it saying he felt himself as a man and not as a boy any longer and began to resent being called a boy. (This was from Many Years from Now). He had done a lot of growing up. He himself wanted to do Carnival of LIght and call it Paul McCartney Goes Too Far.

John didn't start going nuts with avant gard until after Brian was gone. Paul was busy keeping the band together. also a lot of Paul's avant gard stuff was stolen by fans.

Last edited by misfittoy : Aug 21, 2012 at 04:42 PM.
misfittoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 06:19 PM   #502
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfittoy View Post
John didn't start going nuts with avant gard until after Brian was gone.
Although you're right the "heavy" stuff came later (after he met Yoko), Revolver came out in 1966... and Brian was very much alive. John had Tomorrow Never Knows, I'm Only Sleeping, Strawberry Fields Forever all in '66... and all with avant garde elements (some are even quite "heavy"). And I Am the Walrus was also written before Brian died (and recorded just a week after his death). John built a studio in Kenwood shortly after moving in back in 1964. He had a mellotron and another weird instrument (I forget what) and did all kinds of experimental work, just like Paul.

I think it's a BS argument if Paul claimed that he held back his avant garde work because of Brian. Why would he give John his tape loops for TNK then? (And, btw, I'd like to add that all the Fabs contributed loops.) I think that's just some of his selective (but calculated) memory at work, which was rife in Many Years From Now, imho. I'm not saying Paul wasn't experimental and that he didn't contribute significantly to John's works (and vice-versa, btw)... but we shouldn't re-write history just because Paul doesn't like the fact that John got credit for something he "discovered" first, which is really what I think this whole thing is about.

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Last edited by Maia 66 : Aug 22, 2012 at 12:25 AM.
Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 07:20 PM   #503
John's lover girl
Dr. Robert

Send a message via Yahoo to John's lover girl Send a message via Skype™ to John's lover girl

ahem ... back to the topic this thread is actually for

i agree with this one. but i'm more of a Yoko fan then i was a few years ago, there's still bit of jealousy but i now understand what its like to find a soul mate
‎alchemy the science of understanding deconstructing and reconstructing matter however it is not an all powerful art it is impossible to create something out of nothing is one wishes to obtain something something of equal value must be given. this is the law of equivalent exchange. the bases of all alchemy in accordance with this law there is a taboo among alchemists human transmutation is strictly forbidden for what could be the value of a human soul- full metal alchemist
John's lover girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2012, 07:28 PM   #504
John's lover girl
Dr. Robert

Send a message via Yahoo to John's lover girl Send a message via Skype™ to John's lover girl

here's one i don't agree with my mom would probably agree though

there's just something about guys with long hair that i like i don't know why. it could be because John and the other Beatles had long hair and they had charisma so i subcutaneously asoitate long hired guys with charisma. (not saying John lost his charisma when he got his hair short)

my mom like its when guys have short hair almost military crew cut
‎alchemy the science of understanding deconstructing and reconstructing matter however it is not an all powerful art it is impossible to create something out of nothing is one wishes to obtain something something of equal value must be given. this is the law of equivalent exchange. the bases of all alchemy in accordance with this law there is a taboo among alchemists human transmutation is strictly forbidden for what could be the value of a human soul- full metal alchemist
Old Aug 22, 2012, 05:11 AM   #505
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post
Although you're right the "heavy" stuff came later (after he met Yoko), Revolver came out in 1966... and Brian was very much alive. John had Tomorrow Never Knows, I'm Only Sleeping, Strawberry Fields Forever all in '66... and all with avant garde elements (some are even quite "heavy"). And I Am the Walrus was also written before Brian died (and recorded just a week after his death). John built a studio in Kenwood shortly after moving in back in 1964. He had a mellotron and another weird instrument (I forget what) and did all kinds of experimental work, just like Paul.

I think it's a BS argument if Paul claimed that he held back his avant garde work because of Brian. Why would he give John his tape loops for TNK then? (And, btw, I'd like to add that all the Fabs contributed loops.) I think that's just some of his selective (but calculated) memory at work, which was rife in Many Years From Now, imho. I'm not saying Paul wasn't experimental and that he didn't contribute significantly to John's works (and vice-versa, btw)... but we shouldn't re-write history just because Paul doesn't like the fact that John got credit for something he "discovered" first, which is really what I think this whole thing is about.
The whole idea of tape loops were Paul's. Paul was also heavily into the avant gard scene way before John who was trapped on the outskirts with Cynthia.
misfittoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2012, 05:56 AM   #506
John's lover girl
Dr. Robert

maia, misfittoy and who ever is still in this debate either take it so the "untouchable" thread or random John decisions plz
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:27 PM   #507
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfittoy View Post
The whole idea of tape loops were Paul's.
Yes, so it was. Good on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John's lover girl View Post
maia, misfittoy and who ever is still in this debate either take it so the "untouchable" thread or random John decisions plz
Slow down, sister... there's nothing "untouchable" here. Just a good, healthy debate.

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Last edited by Maia 66 : Aug 22, 2012 at 10:48 PM.
Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote