BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products



Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:01 PM   #421
Fly
Dr. Robert
 
Fly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 21, 2002
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Posts: 1,302
Default OH YEAH MAN!!!!! This was mine!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post


Ahem. Look at my avatar!

<------- Duh. This man was too beautiful for words.

And the person who made this confession obviously felt so (no it wasn't me!).
Well f**k me!!!!! This one was mine! Seriously. I'm so proud of my utter teenage self coming out. I kind of stole Apple's picture beacuse it is hot.
__________________
"It does not matter how old you are, you're as young as you feel right now." John Lennon
Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:05 PM   #422
Fly
Dr. Robert
 
Fly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 21, 2002
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Posts: 1,302
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post

.
Because Linda was Caucasian, blonde woman who was generally quiet and seemingly submissive to her husband's life and career. Yoko was a small, Asian woman who did her own art/music and was bold, brash, and 'loud' in her own very quiet and guarded way. People could get with Linda, but Yoko was hard.

Not to dismiss Linda, though, as she was always my favorite McCartney, but you really can't even compare them on every level like some try. She was a pretty conventional/standard choice compared to what Yoko was and that is what caused all the uproar with the people. They couldn't get with that kind of 'different' and some of them STILL can't.
__________________
"It does not matter how old you are, you're as young as you feel right now." John Lennon
Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:11 PM   #423
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer
 
Snoopy66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 11, 2009
Posts: 2,501

Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly View Post
They couldn't get with that kind of 'different' and some of them STILL can't.
Ooooh yes, you can say that loudly

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:12 PM   #424
Fly
Dr. Robert
 
Fly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 21, 2002
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Posts: 1,302
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy66 View Post
Ooooh yes, you can say that loudly

Snoopy
Yes, I was really hoping YOU would read that. You know how I feel about that opinion of yours Snoops. You can stuff it.
__________________
"It does not matter how old you are, you're as young as you feel right now." John Lennon
Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:19 PM   #425
misfittoy
Dr. Robert
 
misfittoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 14, 2011
Posts: 1,074
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly View Post
Because Linda was Caucasian, blonde woman who was generally quiet and seemingly submissive to her husband's life and career. Yoko was a small, Asian woman who did her own art/music and was bold, brash, and 'loud' in her own very quiet and guarded way. People could get with Linda, but Yoko was hard.

Not to dismiss Linda, though, as she was always my favorite McCartney, but you really can't even compare them on every level like some try. She was a pretty conventional/standard choice compared to what Yoko was and that is what caused all the uproar with the people. They couldn't get with that kind of 'different' and some of them STILL can't.
This isn't true. Linda was villified too from the moment she married Paul. they all wanted Paul to marry Jane or some "english rose". Linda was American (the first Beatle to marry one) and divorced with a daughter. That was very stigmatized back then. She had to endure taunts and onslaughts from the fans especially those who thought she took Paul from them. When she went onstage with Paul in the 70s, she got it from Paul's peers too.
She was good to the fans though, forming and running the Fun Club and getting fans good tickets. I even read a post from one fan who admitted to throwing things at Linda back in the 60s feeling bad when through the Funclub, Linda got her good seats many years later. This fan wished she could apologize.
Poor little Heather, Linda's daughter, couldn't understand why her mother was so villified. in fact, recently, when Paul was asked about the public hatred of Heather, he replied, "Nobody's liked any woman I've been with since Jane." True.
Linda didn't get sanctified until she died.
misfittoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:21 PM   #426
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer
 
Snoopy66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 11, 2009
Posts: 2,501

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly View Post
Well f**k me!!!!! This one was mine! Seriously. I'm so proud of my utter teenage self coming out. I kind of stole Apple's picture beacuse it is hot.
Woooow, that's a short but "to-the-point"-confession; it says it all

Well done, Fly

Hmmm, I should write a confession too...

Snoopy

Last edited by Snoopy66 : Mar 27, 2012 at 12:22 PM.
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:26 PM   #427
misfittoy
Dr. Robert
 
misfittoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 14, 2011
Posts: 1,074
Default

I've got dozens but I don't know how to make them or post pics.
misfittoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:26 PM   #428
Fly
Dr. Robert
 
Fly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 21, 2002
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Posts: 1,302
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfittoy View Post
This isn't true. Linda was villified too from the moment she married Paul. they all wanted Paul to marry Jane or some "english rose". Linda was American (the first Beatle to marry one) and divorced with a daughter. That was very stigmatized back then. She had to endure taunts and onslaughts from the fans especially those who thought she took Paul from them. When she went onstage with Paul in the 70s, she got it from Paul's peers too.
She was good to the fans though, forming and running the Fun Club and getting fans good tickets. I even read a post from one fan who admitted to throwing things at Linda back in the 60s feeling bad when through the Funclub, Linda got her good seats many years later. This fan wished she could apologize.
Poor little Heather, Linda's daughter, couldn't understand why her mother was so villified. in fact, recently, when Paul was asked about the public hatred of Heather, he replied, "Nobody's liked any woman I've been with since Jane." True.
Linda didn't get sanctified until she died.
But it is true on many levels. Yes, what you say about her being vilified is fact. But compared to the level that Yoko was vilified, the kinds of taunts Yoko endured, and the way people- especially in the media and the fans- painted Yoko, Linda was an angel. But there were plenty of people that accepted and liked Linda before she died. There wouldn't have been such an outpour of grief for her if she was hated so passionately. People passionately hated/still hate Yoko. She is almost exclusively fingered out as the main reason for the breakup, for 'ruining John,' for having "alterior motives."

I'm not saying Linda had it easy. Lord the woman didn't deserve any of the sh** flung at her, and she was actually an amazing photographer and should be given FIRST AND FOREMOST credit for the vegetarian stance the McCartney's adpated, as well as for being a cool wife and wonderful mother, and a very Don't give a f*** human being who seemed to transition gracefully from one role to the next- and did most excellent (let's not get into the music bit). However, Yoko has been turned into the spawn of Satan by more than many hack writers, made into a vile monster by fans to this day for many reasons - and some as simple as "she wasn't as pretty as Cynthia."

I just think it's night and day how Yok was treated comapred with Linda.
__________________
"It does not matter how old you are, you're as young as you feel right now." John Lennon

Last edited by Fly : Mar 27, 2012 at 12:27 PM.
Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:36 PM   #429
Rellevart
Moderator
 
Rellevart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 15, 2000
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 13,764


Send a message via MSN to Rellevart
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly View Post
I just think it's night and day how Yoko was treated comapred with Linda.
I tend to agree, Fly. I think a lot of "hatred" that was flung at Linda was jealousy-based. Once we all grew up and got over our teeny-bopper crushes, we figured out she was a pretty cool person and all those bad feelings dissapated and many people grew to appreciate and even love her. Not that I don't think some of the hatred that was flung at Yoko was also jealous-based, I'm sure that it was, but there was something nastier and more insidious going on there too, I think, which made the whole atmosphere more toxic and longer-lived.
__________________
I go back so far, I'm in front of me...
Rellevart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:12 PM   #430
Apple Scruff
Sun King
 
Apple Scruff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 10, 2002
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 10,536

Default Yoko and Linda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellevart View Post
I tend to agree, Fly. I think a lot of "hatred" that was flung at Linda was jealousy-based. Once we all grew up and got over our teeny-bopper crushes, we figured out she was a pretty cool person and all those bad feelings dissapated and many people grew to appreciate and even love her. Not that I don't think some of the hatred that was flung at Yoko was also jealous-based, I'm sure that it was, but there was something nastier and more insidious going on there too, I think, which made the whole atmosphere more toxic and longer-lived.
I also agree with Fly and Rell. The rancor that existed towards Linda was fueled by her marrying The Cute Beatle and turning him into the kind of guy who would rather "Eat At Home" than the once-playboy who was known for his affairs and promiscuity. Linda had that affect on Paul that really grounded him in a family sense, and she was extremely loyal, loving, and a wonderful wife/mother and an exceptional photographer. So that bitterness died down when people realized, as Rell said, that Linda was basically harmless.

Yoko, on the other hand, had a 'heavier' affect. She and John did everything together, went everywhere together, and shared their art and ideals together. As a couple. But people tended to think that the Beatle John who was always clowning, sometimes giggly, and a veritable smart-alec/sarcastically witty bloke had disappeared into a far more serious, darker person. But in truth, that Beatle John was a facade in many ways. John was always funny/witty/sarcastic, but he often hid behind that mask as a Beatle because he didn't have the penetration necessary to let it out. When he met Yoko, all that changed. She inspired him to come out and to share his realities- the good and the bad- on a more straight-forward level.

And because of that, people seemed to think John changed. But really, he just opened up more. And Yoko, being from a culture that does not show as much emotion in a physical way, was often judged as cold or a 'Dragon Lady' and someone who did not have John's best interests at heart. But that is so far from the truth. They had an extremely deep and profound love, but it was the world that couldn't understand it. And Yoko didn't make herself accessible. She didn't even care. Yoko's "not giving an ef" as Fly said of Linda, was very different. It wasn't about her appearance or her embrace of domesticity, but it was her that she did not care if others 'got' or understood. She made very little effort to appease because her world was John and her, not the fans or the media.

So I think people took it out on Yoko in a more cruel and negative way than they did Linda. Even at Linda's own memorial, Chrissie Hynde took a swipe at Yoko- which I personally thought was tasteless and crude back in 1998. So people have had no problems with maliciously attacking Yoko (mostly behind her back) and stating matter-of-facts about the John and Yoko union, as if they were privy to their most intimate moments.

And the sad thing is, to his dying day, John professed his unconditional love to this woman. He adored her and constantly proclaimed how she impacted his life in such a beautiful way. But people will believe what they want to believe.
__________________
"Let me live in you..." ~ John Lennon

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Mar 27, 2012 at 06:15 PM.
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 03:30 AM   #431
misfittoy
Dr. Robert
 
misfittoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 14, 2011
Posts: 1,074
Default

Yoko was also resented because of her presence in the studio actually telling the other Beatles what they should be doing musically. That was when a lot of it really started.

and some have speculated John and Yoko might have divorced if he had continued to live. We just don't know there. Basically, both women got it worse then any of the other Beatles wives. Linda got called ugly just like Yoko, made fun of for her body hair, her house broken into and her photographs maliciously stolen and destroyed (carol bedford confessed to that in the Book Waiting for the Beatles).
Someone earlier in the thread tried to dismiss the fans as loving Linda because she was blond. There is nothing further from the truth. They used to shout insults at her through the windows while Paul was at the studio.
Linda was changing Paul just as Yoko was changing John. As the band was collapsing, Linda was showing Paul a dosmestic life (soemthing she really didn't have either) as an alternative. Just because it doesn't have the flash of the art world that Yoko brought John, doesn't mean it was any less deeper. For Paul, it was a brand new way of living. (He had already done the avante garde stuff anyway)
misfittoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 03:51 PM   #432
Fly
Dr. Robert
 
Fly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 21, 2002
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Posts: 1,302
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfittoy View Post
Yoko was also resented because of her presence in the studio actually telling the other Beatles what they should be doing musically. That was when a lot of it really started.
Really? Did she "always" do that or is that some sh** people exaggerated in the papers to make her look worse? Yoko was whispering things to John, yeah, but was she really trying to control the studio and butt into them as they worked? Sure that's how it started. John didn't give a f*** what the others thought and brought her in there and basically said, "Look at how much I care. My woman is staying here." So, you know, that was kind of on JOHN and not really Yoko as much, wouldn't you say?

Quote:
and some have speculated John and Yoko might have divorced if he had continued to live.
Oh for f***s sake! This again. I gotta read this sh** from now on. Yeah, that was speculated by a BUNCH OF LIARS who circulated around none other than the greatest maggot after the man who pulled the trigger himself, Albert Goldman. Honestly, can we lose this old-as-hell, untrue tale? You should go check out that MYTHS thread. I thought it was handled well.


Quote:
Someone earlier in the thread tried to dismiss the fans as loving Linda because she was blond. There is nothing further from the truth. They used to shout insults at her through the windows while Paul was at the studio.
Um, that was me and that was not at all how I expressed it. I was resopnding to the f***ing confession about why Linda is admired vs. Yoko and I said that it basically came down to a bunch of things, but racism played a huge part. And that is fact. My mentioning of her being blond was only a detail in the example of her being a white woman who typified a more conventional pairing than that of John and Yoko. Huge difference in what I meant vs. what you're trying to make me sound like. I 'aint got beef with blong people!


Quote:
Linda was changing Paul just as Yoko was changing John. As the band was collapsing, Linda was showing Paul a dosmestic life (soemthing she really didn't have either) as an alternative. Just because it doesn't have the flash of the art world that Yoko brought John, doesn't mean it was any less deeper. For Paul, it was a brand new way of living. (He had already done the avante garde stuff anyway)
Ok, I don't know what the f*** this is about. Did you think I said Linda gave Paul something less deep than Yoko? I don't care that much to dwell on Paul and Linda like that. Linda gave Paul a f*** of a lot of things. I personally love her personality and she always was my favorite person in the McCartney family for her lack of pretense and serene demeanor.

I focused on what Yoko brought John because this was my response to the confession, ok? Both women played a big part in their mate's life. Yoko gave John a lot of impetus to look at his life and the world on a similar wavelength- but he was already doing a ton of that on his own. But her support andencouragement gave him a whole new outlook on life for sure.
__________________
"It does not matter how old you are, you're as young as you feel right now." John Lennon
Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 05:38 AM   #433
misfittoy
Dr. Robert
 
misfittoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 14, 2011
Posts: 1,074
Default

The stories about Yoko in the studio were told by non other then Paul. I think I'd take his word about that.

Face it. Yoko didn't have a pleasant personality on people she thought could'ntn do anything for her. Some may admire bitches and admire their, "I don't give a fuck" attitudes but there's a fine line between bitchyness, empowerment, and bullying and sadism.
Most of these women I've encountered can't tell the difference and don't care when they've crossed that line. they become abusive. (This can be shown by the way they treat those that are serving them)

Yoko brought a good chunk of it on herself but not all of it. (I know what it's like too. I've got my stalker and her friends treating me like I'm Yoko and I'm sure some of you have been approached by them. I know what it's like to be hated and have people try to erase you).
Yoko and Linda both went throught it on a high level the rest of us just simply won't understand. Yoko isn't unique in that aspect of Beatledom.

Linda was slammed for being a divorce, having a child, having sex with rock stars (gasp! Groupies who think something of themselves), having hairy legs and armpits, her clothing, her knees, controlling her husband, being with him all the time (sound famaliar?), running his life, taking him away from the scenes he formerly was a part of...they both went through it. the only difference was Linda got sick and died and even the worst sinner is a saint upon death (like Nixon)

In fact, many Linda fans gripe and point out how Linda only got love and admiration after she died. (even those that benefited from her work in the FUn Club)

Last edited by misfittoy : Mar 29, 2012 at 05:45 AM.
misfittoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 05:43 AM   #434
misfittoy
Dr. Robert
 
misfittoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 14, 2011
Posts: 1,074
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly View Post
.Ok, I don't know what the f*** this is about. Did you think I said Linda gave Paul something less deep than Yoko? I don't care that much to dwell on Paul and Linda like that..
My point is that what John and Yoko went through isn't unique in Bealtedom. Paul and Linda went through it too in almost the same fashion.

and Linda didn't get off any easier because she was white. Her bodily features were made fun of just as much such as her body hair.
misfittoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 06:28 AM   #435
Apple Scruff
Sun King
 
Apple Scruff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 10, 2002
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 10,536

Default

I definitely don't agree Paul and Linda went through the same ordeal as John and Yoko. Not even close.
__________________
"Let me live in you..." ~ John Lennon
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:50 AM   #436
Maia 66
Sun King
 
Join Date: Sep 09, 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,360

Default

Yes, definitely not as close. Linda took her share of abuse at the beginning... and then later, during Wings, she was made fun of (everyone wondered what the %$!* she was doing singing/playing keyboards... but we understand it now... and her sudden English-y accent was a subject of ridicule by many fans), but it never rose to the level of sheer hatred that Yoko faced and still faces.
__________________

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...


Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:28 PM   #437
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer
 
Snoopy66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 11, 2009
Posts: 2,501

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
I definitely don't agree Paul and Linda went through the same ordeal as John and Yoko. Not even close.
No, I can't compare both couples either

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:45 AM   #438
Fly
Dr. Robert
 
Fly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 21, 2002
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Posts: 1,302
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
I definitely don't agree Paul and Linda went through the same ordeal as John and Yoko. Not even close.
I agree with this f***ing statement. Making fun of Linda and calling her ugly (which she was FAR from) is very different than all the racist f***ery that people threw at Yoko left and right. And the death threats. And insipid bitterness that still exists, along with everyone and their sister or brother giving their own two cents about the John and Yoko marriage. I have NEVER seen Paul and Linda's union observed and analyzed in such a disgusting way- to such a obsessive level- as John and Yoko's. Not only that, Yoko's love for John called into question by some non-entities who sit around reading one piece of sh** Beatles book after another.

NO COMPARISON. End of.
__________________
"It does not matter how old you are, you're as young as you feel right now." John Lennon

Last edited by Fly : Mar 30, 2012 at 11:46 AM.
Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:49 PM   #439
Apple Scruff
Sun King
 
Apple Scruff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 10, 2002
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 10,536

Default And now back to our regularly scheduled Confessions...



I agree with this one so much. This could be a thread unto itself. I don't know what exactly happened to John, when exactly it clicked, but I do believe his perspective on himself, fame, and the next steps he was going to take in his life drastically altered in that summer of 1966.

Thoughts?
__________________
"Let me live in you..." ~ John Lennon
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:54 PM   #440
Apple Scruff
Sun King
 
Apple Scruff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 10, 2002
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 10,536

Default Interesting...



I think John had entered a new chapter in his life. At the time, I think he wanted to transition from Beatledom into what he felt was his new world. There was bitterness and harsh words. But he DID mellow towards The Beatles and, in my opinion, he became a wise old sage who was proud of the greatness that his band brought into this world.
__________________
"Let me live in you..." ~ John Lennon
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cynthia Lennon says her ex-husband was a genius plagued by insecurities LennonLover2005 Menlove Avenue 26 May 21, 2010 09:01 PM
Lennon Lives Forever anurag Menlove Avenue 4 Nov 30, 2005 12:28 PM
Lennon Musical to Include Unknown Songs by Late Beatle SF4-EVER Menlove Avenue 4 Dec 15, 2004 09:38 AM
Imagine shyGirl I Read The News Today 17 Jan 10, 2002 01:44 PM
The Ballad of John and Cuba shyGirl I Read The News Today 10 Jan 04, 2002 01:39 AM


Advertisements

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Site Features
Search Links

  Advanced Search
Category Jump



BeatleMail

FREE E-MAIL
@ BEATLEMAIL.COM


Username


Password




New User Sign-Up!
Lost Password?
Beatles History




Donate
The costs of running our database and discussion forum are steadily rising. Any help we receive is greatly appreciated. Click HERE for more information about donating to BeatleLinks.
Extras
» Chat Room
» Current News
» Monthly Contest
» Interviews Database
» Random Site
» Banner Exchange
» F.A.Q.
» Advertise
» Credits
» Legal
» Contact Us
Copyright © 2000-2017 BeatleLinks
All Rights Reserved