BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Crackerbox Palace

Old Oct 14, 2011, 05:34 PM   #41
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

I'll tell you something I'm ready to talk about. When I Heard OLivia talk about George's reaction to the assault of running off and leaving her then her finding him wearing banana leaves, well, I was assaulted back in 1991 in a similar fashion and had almost identicle reactions.
I went to a national forest and dissapppeared from my friends in my flipped out mood. They found me wearing a few leaves and a layer of mud with a few other people I didn't know doing the same. The pictures of me are great but I understand what was going through George's head a little bit there because I did the same thing. It was both a connection to the earth but also an inner part of myself coming out and taking over for a while. That inner part ran my life for a few days until I got myself back on track dealign with what had happened to me
misfittoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:51 AM   #42
CWW
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfittoy View Post
I'll tell you something I'm ready to talk about. When I Heard OLivia talk about George's reaction to the assault of running off and leaving her then her finding him wearing banana leaves, well, I was assaulted back in 1991 in a similar fashion and had almost identicle reactions.
I went to a national forest and dissapppeared from my friends in my flipped out mood. They found me wearing a few leaves and a layer of mud with a few other people I didn't know doing the same. The pictures of me are great but I understand what was going through George's head a little bit there because I did the same thing. It was both a connection to the earth but also an inner part of myself coming out and taking over for a while. That inner part ran my life for a few days until I got myself back on track dealign with what had happened to me
I dont think George in the banana leaves was anything to do with the attack..he always used to do things like that..it was his way of running off and being with nature, and he was in hot tropical island! Quite common for the locals to do that!

That said i can totally understand what you mean, and think its pretty natural for one to do that aswell after a traumatic event..Maybe it is a primordial thing within us all, and again like George connecting back to the earth and Nature..We are all taught and brought up to be or act so civilised and proper - but there is this deeper and subconcious urge to get back to our roots and basics, the primitive hunter -gatherer mentality i guess..

"take me to the river, drop me in the water..."
- David Byrne
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:26 AM   #43
PaulisMine
Dr. Robert

Hello hello. I finally saw this last night, really sat down and paid a lot of attention. I had seen parts on youtube but this was the first time really watching.

First off, I feel like I could write an essay here!!
I am less familiar with George's post-Beatle life than, say, Paul's. So I was looking forward to a film that would give me a lot of ... if not NEW information, then perhaps information that I would really have to dig for/be a Geo fangirl to know... you know what I mean.

I didn't feel that from this film. I think what actually disappointed me was that they just barely brushed on some things. I feel like - EITHER go into the subject matter or don't discuss it at all. For instance, there was a comment - actually at least 2 that I remember, about George's anger. But you never really hear a story about his anger. The implication... they never outright say the words "he had affairs while married to Olivia" ... that he had affairs, why bring it up, if you don't REALLY talk about it. Were they affairs of the heart? Did he fall in love with these women? Were they one night stands? etc. Same with Klaus discussing George's drawing away from him and attributing it to "drugs and stuff" - then nothing else about drugs. Again, this information may be known by hardcore Georgefans but I don't really know the background/truth on some of these things. Same goes for spiritual matters. I know he was spiritual, he practiced meditation and chanting, BUT what did he believe? What books or musicians might he recommend? What "personal nightmares" did he have that going to Temple helped to sort out?

I am first and foremost a Beatles fan, not a solo fan. I hesitate to even say that I would be an insane Paul fangirl if Paul hadn't been in The Beatles. So, I thought there was just enough Beatles (I see that most thought that there was too much Beatles, heehee) - and I am kinda PISSED OFF that there was so little of his brothers. What a gift to see them. I can't believe of what must have been at least - what, an hour? - that's all the footage that they could have put in? Jeez.

Anyway - I thought the spirit of the film was very loving and respectful. At the same time, too many tantalizing hints at things, not enough depth. Of course if I had my way I guess it would have been about 10 hours long to cover everything. :) Yeah, I am NOSY!!! :D
take me to that place
where I can find my brave face
PaulisMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2011, 01:07 PM   #44
Asha
Sun King

PiM! Sounds like they left you thirsty for more!
Asha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2011, 06:52 PM   #45
CWW
Wild Honey Pie

Personally LOVED the film, didnt think i would after the press and intial comments/reviews from fans..

i agree you do sort of need to know the story and inside details to fully 'get it' or fully appreciate/take it all in, but i do believe their is something here for eveyone. And mayeb it will lead people that arent as familiar plunge further in..

It is subtle - it doesnt go into every gossipy detail and still retains an aura of mystery around the man - Very George..

I believe the spirit of the film is very true to George, and really captures the essence of the man with glimpses into his private world through his own private movies of himself, nature etc.. It goes so far beyond and so much deeper than words or what people can say/ rigid facts etc.

I felt it truly evoked his spirit and felt so close to him again while watching this like he was right next to me..Like Dhani said in his dream, hes been here the whole time..

"take me to the river, drop me in the water..."
- David Byrne

Last edited by CWW : Oct 22, 2011 at 06:55 PM.
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:08 PM   #46
Hari's Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
like he was right next to me..Like Dhani said in his dream, hes been here the whole time..
George...

beautifully spoken
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:24 PM   #47
Hari's Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulisMine View Post
Hello hello. I finally saw this last night, really sat down and paid a lot of attention. I had seen parts on youtube but this was the first time really watching.

First off, I feel like I could write an essay here!!
I am less familiar with George's post-Beatle life than, say, Paul's. So I was looking forward to a film that would give me a lot of ... if not NEW information, then perhaps information that I would really have to dig for/be a Geo fangirl to know... you know what I mean.

I didn't feel that from this film. I think what actually disappointed me was that they just barely brushed on some things. I feel like - EITHER go into the subject matter or don't discuss it at all. For instance, there was a comment - actually at least 2 that I remember, about George's anger. But you never really hear a story about his anger. The implication... they never outright say the words "he had affairs while married to Olivia" ... that he had affairs, why bring it up, if you don't REALLY talk about it. Were they affairs of the heart? Did he fall in love with these women? Were they one night stands? etc. Same with Klaus discussing George's drawing away from him and attributing it to "drugs and stuff" - then nothing else about drugs. Again, this information may be known by hardcore Georgefans but I don't really know the background/truth on some of these things. Same goes for spiritual matters. I know he was spiritual, he practiced meditation and chanting, BUT what did he believe? What books or musicians might he recommend? What "personal nightmares" did he have that going to Temple helped to sort out?

I am first and foremost a Beatles fan, not a solo fan. I hesitate to even say that I would be an insane Paul fangirl if Paul hadn't been in The Beatles. So, I thought there was just enough Beatles (I see that most thought that there was too much Beatles, heehee) - and I am kinda PISSED OFF that there was so little of his brothers. What a gift to see them. I can't believe of what must have been at least - what, an hour? - that's all the footage that they could have put in? Jeez.

Anyway - I thought the spirit of the film was very loving and respectful. At the same time, too many tantalizing hints at things, not enough depth. Of course if I had my way I guess it would have been about 10 hours long to cover everything. :) Yeah, I am NOSY!!! :D
Awesome review! I agree with you about how it touches on things but doesn't give a lot out. There are some great stories... like about the anger. There is a great story Shy tells about George coming home to FP in a mood and antagonizing Shy about Srila Prabhupada. Great story! Shy winds up coming off the ladder, and he and George come to blows! But then... they both wind up laughing! See, they needed more hours and more pure George.

I'd have loved to hear more about Derek and Legs and George's friendship, too. I was hoping to see an interview with Legs about George... how cool would that have been? And YES, more brothers Harrison!!
Old Oct 23, 2011, 09:00 AM   #48
Georgie Girl
Sun King

They could have made a mini-series on George.

The west is
the best.
Georgie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2011, 09:18 AM   #49
bobdude
Dr. Robert

I have watched this movie 3 different times now and I appreciate the film very much. However, it almost makes me feel the very same way that I felt after watching the Beatles Anthology on ABC back in '95. It's as if you've gotten the Reader's Digest condensed version of the story. It would've been great to see a few clips of George on SNL in 76 with Paul Simon. Any more live footage would've been good IMO. Ther's a bunch of it out there. Carl Perkins. Prince's Trust. Bob Fest. Live In Japan. It also would've been nice had the musical gaps been filled in also. Extra Texture, 33 and a 1/3, George Harrison, Crackerbox Palace and Got My Mind Set on You and When We Was Fab videos. I know I'm nit picking, but it really could've been fleshed out more. It did what it was supposed to do..... leave you wanting more! Sigh!
Old Oct 24, 2011, 01:00 AM   #50
DearOne
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymain View Post
I sooo want to see this but my DVD still hasn't been sent out by Amazon.

So Jealous of those folk in the US that have seen it.

New member here, and avid Hari lover for many, many, many years!
I do not get HBO, and didn't want to wait til Spring (U.S. release) so I went to AmazonUK and ordered it--and it arrived a few days ago.
Unfortunately it will not play in my DVD player. My Philly local classic rock dj (on th weekly "Breakfast with the Beatles" programme) said that the UK version will not play on US players. So I guess I'll be buying it in the Spring. LOL

Last edited by DearOne : Oct 24, 2011 at 01:01 AM.
DearOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 06:44 AM   #51
DearOne
Fool On The Hill

Morning all from Philadelphia. Well every sunday for over 20 years there is a radio 'Breakfast with the Beatles' programme. the dj announced that the UK version of the biography cannot be played on US players.
My DVDs arrived yesterday from the UK, and they will not play on my recorder.
BUT--Today, for the heck of it, I put it in my computer DVD drive and was allowed to somehow switch format to European!! YESssss!

So I saw the first DVD/half of the 4 hour bio.
It is phenomenal--I am in heaven!
DearOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 06:55 AM   #52
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DearOne View Post
Morning all from Philadelphia. Well every sunday for over 20 years there is a radio 'Breakfast with the Beatles' programme. the dj announced that the UK version of the biography cannot be played on US players.
BUT--Today, for the heck of it, I put it in my computer DVD drive and was allowed to somehow switch format to European!! YESssss!

Watch out! Bill Gates has it designed that you can only switch region codes on a computer a set amount of times such as 4 or something, I hear tell.

My DVD player broke this morning. It's pretty old. I'm hoping to get a region free player as they are cheap now. Just waiting for the boyfriend to come help me pick it out hopefully by the weekend. (I play CDs on it too and can't play them either! No wonder I wore it out)
misfittoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:30 AM   #53
constance
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DearOne View Post

How clever of you, I would never have thought of that...
I still have only watched part one...I feel like I am saving part two but don't know why, really, just anticipation I guess. I went to watch it last night but ended up watching part one again :)
constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:47 AM   #54
Hari's Chick

Smile

Welcome to Crackerbox Palace, DearOne! :)
Old Oct 25, 2011, 04:03 PM   #55
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
It is subtle - it doesnt go into every gossipy detail and still retains an aura of mystery around the man - Very George..

I believe the spirit of the film is very true to George, and really captures the essence of the man with glimpses into his private world through his own private movies of himself, nature etc.. It goes so far beyond and so much deeper than words or what people can say/ rigid facts etc.
That is exactly what I feel about the film... and that's what made it so beautiful to me. Scorsese wasn't about to give us a deep, Ken Burns-like documentary, but a beautiful impressionistic study of a fascinating man. So when people say, "The film wasn't what I thought," I tell them that, apparently, neither was George.

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 04:37 PM   #56
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Hope to FINALLY get to watch it this coming weekend!! :)
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:40 AM   #57
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

It's well worth the wait.

It honors George by, as CWW pointed out being "true to his spirit" and honoring the man's privacy, yet striking the balance of sharing the known "essence" of George. Anecdotes and interviews make a good thing even better and fill in the picture of George for those who didn't know the man personally.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2011, 09:29 AM   #58
Fabfan6270
Fool On The Hill

I enjoyed the documentary immensely. I've heard people complain that there was too much Beatle footage, Well since they were such a big part of George's life in the formative years it would only make sense. The interviews with Paul, Ringo Eric Clapton, Phil Spector were very informative an entertaining. Ringo looked great with his retro Beatle haircut and beard, Shades of 1970
Fabfan6270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:58 AM   #59
Hari's Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabfan6270 View Post
I enjoyed the documentary immensely. I've heard people complain that there was too much Beatle footage, Well since they were such a big part of George's life in the formative years it would only make sense. The interviews with Paul, Ringo Eric Clapton, Phil Spector were very informative an entertaining. Ringo looked great with his retro Beatle haircut and beard, Shades of 1970
You bring up an excellent point with Phil Spector... I don't think anyone has mentioned him yet here? His interviews were so enjoyable. I really giggled when he said how the Krishna's could be a "real pain in the neck" or something... the way he said it made me laugh. He was kinda sweet and funny in his remarks about George.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:08 AM   #60
Hari's Chick

About Eric Clapton... I noticed he had a Chagall book behind him on the shelf. George loved Chagall, and I wondered if maybe that was another common interest between them.