BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Here, There & Everywhere

Old Dec 14, 2003, 04:13 AM   #1
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper
Default BREAKING NEWS! Saddam Hussein Captured!!!

Just turned on the news this morning -- and heard the following story. This is the AP feed.

http://1010wins.com/topstories/winst...348072134.html

"WE GOT HIM!"
Dec 14, 2003 7:14 am US/Eastern

Saddam Hussein, wearing a fake beard and burying himself in a cellar to hide from U.S. troops, was captured alive near his hometown of Tikrit. The arrest was an enormous victory for the U.S.-led coalition that has been battling an insurgency since the fall of Baghdad eight months ago.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we got him," U.S. administrator L. Paul Bremer told a news conference. "The tyrant is a prisoner."

Bremer said that Saddam was captured Saturday at 8:30 p.m. in a cellar in the town of Adwar, 10 miles from Tikrit, ending one of the most intense manhunts in history.

In the capital, radio stations played celebratory music, residents fired small arms in the air in celebration and others drove through the streets, shouting, "They got Saddam! They got Saddam!"

At the news conference announcing his capture, U.S. forces aired a video showing a bearded Saddam being examined by a doctor holding his mouth open with a tongue depressor, apparently to get a DNA sample.

Then a video was shown of Saddam after he was shaved.

Iraqi journalists in the audience stood, pointed and shouted "Death to Saddam!" and "Down with Saddam!"

"The captive has been talkative and is being cooperative," Sanchez said. Saddam was being held at an undisclosed location, and U.S. authorities have not yet determined whether to hand him over to the Iraqis for trial. Iraqi officials want him to stand trial before a war crimes tribunal created last week.

Two other Iraqis were also arrested in the raid and two AK-47 assault rifles, a pistol and $750,000 in $100 bills were seized, Sanchez said.

Sanchez described Saddam's demeanor during the arrest, saying he seemed "a tired man. Also I think a man resigned."

Forces from the 4th Infantry Division along with Special Forces captured Saddam, the U.S. military said. There were no shots fired or injuries in the raid, called "Operation Red Dawn," said Lt. Gen. Richardo Sanchez.

British Prime Minister Tony Blair welcomed Saddam's capture.

"This is very good news for the people of Iraq. It removes the shadow that has been hanging over them for too long of the nightmare of a return to the Saddam regime," he said in a statement released by his office.

Trapped in the cellar, Saddam was in a six-to-eight-foot-deep "spider hole" that had been camouflaged with bricks and dirt. The soldiers saw the hole, investigated and found him inside, Sanchez said.

The video showed an air vent and fan inside the hole to allow Saddam to remain hidden for an extended period.

In Baghdad, shop owners closed their doors, worried that all the shooting would make the streets unsafe.

"I'm very happy for the Iraqi people. Life is going to be safer now," said 35-year-old Yehya Hassan, a resident of Baghdad. "Now we can start a new beginning."

Earlier in the day, rumors of the capture sent people streaming into the streets of Kirkuk, a northern Iraqi city, firing guns in the air in celebration.

"We are celebrating like it's a wedding," said Kirkuk resident Mustapha Sheriff. "We are finally rid of that criminal."

"This is the joy of a lifetime," said Ali Al-Bashiri, another resident. "I am speaking on behalf of all the people that suffered under his rule."

In Tikrit, U.S. soldiers from the 4th Infantry Division, the unit that is responsible for security in Saddam's hometown, were smoking cigars after hearing the news of Saddam's capture.

Despite the celebration throughout Baghdad, many residents were skeptical.

"I heard the news, but I'll believe it when I see it," said Mohaned al-Hasaji, 33. "They need to show us that they really have him."

Ayet Bassem, 24, walked out of a shop with her 6-year-old son.

"Things will be better for my son," she said. "Everyone says everything will be better when Saddam is caught. My son now has a future."

"This success brings closure to the Iraqi people. We now have final resolution. Saddam Hussein will never return to a position of power from which he can punish, terrorize, intimidate and exploit the Iraqi people as the did for more than 35 years," Sanchez said.

After invading Iraq on March 20 and setting up their headquarters in Saddam's sprawling Republican Palace compound in Baghdad, U.S. troops launched a massive manhunt for the fugitive leader, placing a $25 million bounty on his head and sending thousands of soldiers to search for him.

Saddam's sons Qusai and Odai — each with a $15 million bounty on their heads — were killed July 22 in a four-hour gunbattle with U.S. troops in a hideout in the northern city of Mosul. The bounties were paid out to the man who owned the house where they were killed, residents said.

A Governing Council member, Jalal Talabani, told Iran's official news agency, IRNA, that Saddam's detention will bring stability to Iraq.

"With the arrest of Saddam, the source financing terrorists has been destroyed and terrorist attacks will come to an end. Now we can establish a durable stability and security in Iraq," Talabani was quoted as saying.

(© MMIII Infinity Broadcasting Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 04:24 AM   #2
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

Default Re: BREAKING NEWS! Saddam Hussein Captured!!!

Great news!!!
sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 04:37 AM   #3
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

Here's the NY Times article from their website:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/14/in...E-HUSSEIN.html

December 14, 2003
Iraqis Fill Streets of Capital, Firing Guns in Celebration
By EDWARD WONG and KIRK SEMPLE

BAGHDAD, Iraq, Dec. 14 - American military officials confirmed today that Saddam Hussein was captured alive in a raid on a farm house near Tikrit on Saturday night.

They said they used DNA tests to confirm his identity.

``We got him,'' American administrator L. Paul Bremer III told a news conference.

Coalition troops discovered Mr. Hussein hiding in a hole below the farm house, located in the town of Adwar, 10 miles from Tikrit.

Military officials said that he put up no resistance and not one shot was fired in the operation.

American officials hailed the discovery of Mr. Hussein as a major tactical victory in their fight to wipe out the vestiges of the old government.

Finding Mr. Hussein also solved one of the great mysteries that tormented the American-led occupation force in Iraq: whether he was still alive and, if so, where he was hiding.

British Prime Minister Tony Blair welcomed Mr. Hussein's capture.

``This is very good news for the people of Iraq,'' he said in a statement released by his office. ``It removes the shadow that has been hanging over them for too long of the nightmare of a return to the Saddam regime.''

American officials hope the capture of Mr. Hussein will undermine the guerrilla-style insurgency that has left hundreds of coalition soldiers dead since President Bush declared an end to major combat operations on May 1.

At a news conference today announcing Mr. Hussein's capture, American officials aired a video showing a bearded and scruffy haired Mr. Hussein being examined by a doctor.

Mr. Hussein was in a six-to-eight-foot-deep ``spider hole'' that had been camouflaged with bricks and dirt, Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez said at the press conference. The video showed an air vent and fan installed in the hole to allow Saddam to remain hidden for an extended period.

Officials said Mr. Hussein was being held at an undisclosed location and that American authorities had yet to decide whether to hand him over to the Iraqis for trial.

Celebratory gunfire broke out all over Baghdad, and large crowds poured into the streets, especially along commercial strips like those in the Karada neighborhood. People were speaking ecstatically of the capture, hugging and shaking one another's hands.

But in Ramadi, a town west of Baghdad that has served as a loyal support base for Mr. Hussein, people had not heard about the capture by early afternoon. A feeling of anger was building up against the American occupiers, triggered by a car bomb this morning outside the police station in the nearby town of Khalidiya.

The bomb went off at 8:30 a.m. this morning, killing at least 21 people, mostly police officers, and wounded at least 33, according to military and hospital officials. Men standing at the scene and at the hospital blamed American forces for the blast, even though it was clear that the bomb was targeting Iraqi police working with the Americans.

Ed Wong provided reporting from Baghdad and Kirk Semple provided reporting from New York for this article.
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 04:41 AM   #4
TeoTorriate
Day Tripper

I hope they tourture him
TeoTorriate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 04:55 AM   #5
Paolo Meccano
Taxman

Given that Bush's Boys don't normally adhere to the Geneva Convention, they probably will...
Paolo Meccano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 05:00 AM   #6
LittleDarlin909
Paperback Writer

wow. what a victory for the iraqi people! to them i say congratulations and a sincere wish for the best of luck. to all of the troops. . .thank you.
LittleDarlin909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 06:12 AM   #7
Hari's Chick

Fantastic news! A Christmas present for the world....

This brings to mind John's lyrics..."don't you know that you can count me out...in" I remember in an interview John was talking about his desire to be peaceful, but that impulse was there, under the surface, which was the kernal of 'unpeaceful'. I forget exactly how he phrased it...anyway...for me, that impulse of unpeaceful is there in this case, especially thinking of how he treated women.

But on the other hand, we captured him without a single gunshot, no violence, so that is exemplary.
Hari's Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 06:44 AM   #8
jtal909
Sun King

There is no need to torture him. He will be put on trial most probably by the Iraqis so they will see the extent of his crimes.
jtal909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 07:19 AM   #9
DizzymissLizzy909
Sun King

Ooh, you know it's kind of creepy, when I got up this morning I could hear my dad watching TV downstairs and the first thought that popped into my mind was, "Hmm... I wonder if Saddamm has been caught today?" Then I came downstairs and yes, there it was all over the news! I don't know why I was suddenly knew that when I woke up... kind of scary! [img]graemlins/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Anyway, I'm glad they got him. It may not necessarily mean everything is going to be running smooth in Iraq, but I'm sure many people will be able to breathe a little easier today.
DizzymissLizzy909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 07:22 AM   #10
chaitanya
Sgt. Pepper

Thanks God and thanks to all troops there !!!
chaitanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 07:25 AM   #11
ChrisG134
Sun King

He went without a fight.It looks like he was tired and was ready to give up.He was all bark and no bite.Went out with his tail between his legs.
ChrisG134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 08:21 AM   #12
beatlewho01-02
Wild Honey Pie

Now all they need is Osama and we have perhaps the biggest trial since Nuremburg.
beatlewho01-02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 08:56 AM   #13
Lucy*
Fool On The Hill

I heard that too, I was watching the news this morning. Saddam was a criminal and a murderer, no doubt, and I'm glad that he's been caught. What really made me angry, though, was the scenes they were showing on CNN of a group of Iraqis celebrating in the streets. It was so obviously set up. I'm not sure if any of you heard that the scene that CNN was showing when the statue of Saddam was taken down, with all the Iraqis celebrating, was also set up. I found a picture of it somewhere, maybe I'll try to find it. As you can probably tell, I've been against the war the whole time.
Lucy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 09:00 AM   #14
Lucy*
Fool On The Hill

Here's the site, incase anybody is interested:

http://www.informationclearinghouse....rticle2838.htm
Lucy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 09:51 AM   #15
StrawberryFieldsFanNo9
Wild Honey Pie

i woke up today hearing that we had captured him!
StrawberryFieldsFanNo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 10:05 AM   #16
dyermaker1040
Day Tripper

happy x-mas, war is over

maybe.....?

i really dont know anything about it. i just hope its over
dyermaker1040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 10:08 AM   #17
Johnny Lover
Wild Honey Pie

Send a message via ICQ to Johnny Lover Send a message via AIM to Johnny Lover Send a message via MSN to Johnny Lover Send a message via Yahoo to Johnny Lover Send a message via Skype™ to Johnny Lover

YAY!!!!!! I heard the news as soon as I woke up too
Johnny Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 10:09 AM   #18
BrazilianFlag
Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted By beatlewho01-02:
Now all they need is Osama and we have perhaps the biggest trial since Nuremburg.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Thought the same thing... Let's see what it will be made of Mr. Hussein from now on...
BrazilianFlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 01:13 PM   #19
Fran
Nowhere Man

great news!! I'm glad Saddams finally been captured.
Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 02:55 PM   #20
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

This is good news! I hope this means the war will be over now!
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote