BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Old Aug 29, 2006, 01:48 AM   #1
I am the Paulrus
Bulldog

Default Beatles back on top after poll of nation’s favourite No 1 albums

Beatles back on top after poll of nation’s favourite No 1 albums

PHIL MILLER,
The Herald Arts Correspondent

Tuesday,August 29 2006

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/68997.html

The Beatles have topped the latest poll to find the nation's favourite Number One album.
Their most famous record, Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, was yesterday revealed as the public's favourite record to have topped the album charts.
More than 220,000 votes were received by Radio 2 to compile the list, which was arranged to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the official UK album chart.
Aptly, the victory for the album comes on the 40th anniversary of the last public performance by the Fab Four - a live concert in San Francisco.
Dark Side of the Moon, by prog rockers Pink Floyd, won the "best of the rest" list, leading the votes for albums that did not reach number one in the chart - it only reached number two in 1973.
Michael Jackson comes second on the overall list with Thriller, followed by U2's record The Joshua Tree, Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, and Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here.
The Beatles' revolutionary 1966 record, Revolver, comes in at number six on the list, followed by Simon and Garfunkel's Bridge Over Troubled Water, the Beatles' last studio album, Abbey Road, and the top 10 is completed by Queen's A Night at the Opera and The Beatle's eponymous 1968 double album, aka the White album.
Simon Mayo, presenter of the run down, said: "It is a very impressive list and no surprise at all that Sgt Pepper is at the top.
"It revolutionised music and is what we expect from an album. A fine choice indeed."
Misspellings by voters keen to take part in the poll also saw votes go to The Dark Side of the Room (instead of the moon) by Pink Floyd and Achtung Bono (instead of Baby) by U2.
Other blunders included fans voting for Codplay (Coldplay) and Oink Floyd (Pink Floyd).
Since the inception of the official albums chart in 1956, there have been 787 number one albums.
Darren Haynes, marketing manager of the UK chart, said: "The list of No 1 albums is instantly interesting because it highlights the fact that such classics as Dark Side Of The Moon, Bat Out Of Hell, Ziggy Stardust and Hotel California failed to reach the Number One slot.
"With over 220,000 votes received from the British public, this is the most definitive record of the nation's favourite albums to The Beatles have topped the latest poll to find the nation's favourite Number One album.
Their most famous record, Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, was yesterday revealed as the public's favourite record to have topped the album charts.
More than 220,000 votes were received by Radio 2 to compile the list, which was arranged to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the official UK album chart.
Aptly, the victory for the album comes on the 40th anniversary of the last public performance by the Fab Four - a live concert in San Francisco.
Dark Side of the Moon, by prog rockers Pink Floyd, won the "best of the rest" list, leading the votes for albums that did not reach number one in the chart - it only reached number two in 1973.
Michael Jackson comes second on the overall list with Thriller, followed by U2's record The Joshua Tree, Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, and Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here.
The Beatles' revolutionary 1966 record, Revolver, comes in at number six on the list, followed by Simon and Garfunkel's Bridge Over Troubled Water, the Beatles' last studio album, Abbey Road, and the top 10 is completed by Queen's A Night at the Opera and The Beatle's eponymous 1968 double album, aka the White album.
Simon Mayo, presenter of the run down, said: "It is a very impressive list and no surprise at all that Sgt Pepper is at the top.
"It revolutionised music and is what we expect from an album. A fine choice indeed."
Misspellings by voters keen to take part in the poll also saw votes go to The Dark Side of the Room (instead of the moon) by Pink Floyd and Achtung Bono (instead of Baby) by U2.
Other blunders included fans voting for Codplay (Coldplay) and Oink Floyd (Pink Floyd).
Since the inception of the official albums chart in 1956, there have been 787 number one albums.
Darren Haynes, marketing manager of the UK chart, said: "The list of No 1 albums is instantly interesting because it highlights the fact that such classics as Dark Side Of The Moon, Bat Out Of Hell, Ziggy Stardust and Hotel California failed to reach the Number One slot.
"With over 220,000 votes received from the British public, this is the most definitive record of the nation's favourite albums to date." There were only 201 votes between Sgt Pepper at number one and Thriller at number two on the list.
The "best of the rest" list included, at number two, The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars by David Bowie, followed by Bat Out of Hell by Meat Loaf, Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys, The Wall by Pink Floyd, Hunky Dory by Bowie, The Bends by Radiohead and Nevermind by Nirvana.

The BBC Radio 2 Music Club Top 100 Albums list in full:

1 Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band – Beatles
2 Thriller – Michael Jackson
3 The Joshua Tree – U2
4 Rumours – Fleetwood Mac
5 Wish You Were Here – Pink Floyd
6 Revolver – Beatles
7 Bridge Over Troubled Water – Simon & Garfunkel
8 Abbey Road – Beatles
9 A Night At The Opera – Queen
10 The Beatles (The White Album) – Beatles
11 Rubber Soul – Beatles
12 Brothers In Arms – Dire Straits
13 (What’s The Story) Morning Glory? – Oasis
14 Automatic For The People – REM
15 Led Zeppelin IV (Four Symbols) – Led Zeppelin
16 Jagged Little Pill – Alanis Morissette
17 Parallel Lines – Blondie
18 Tubular Bells – Mike Oldfield
19 Led Zeppelin II – Led Zeppelin
20 Band On The Run – Paul McCartney & Wings
21 Hounds Of Love – Kate Bush
22 Definitely Maybe – Oasis
23 Graceland – Paul Simon
24 Ray Of Light – Madonna
25 Who’s Next – Who
26 Goodbye Yellow Brick Road – Elton John
27 OK Computer – Radiohead
28 Never Mind The Bollocks Here’s The Sex Pistols – Sex Pistols
29 Aladdin Sane – David Bowie
30 Out Of Time – REM
31 A Rush Of Blood To The Head – Coldplay
32 Scissor Sisters – Scissor Sisters
33 X & Y – Coldplay
34 Born In The USA – Bruce Springsteen
35 Like A Prayer – Madonna
36 A Hard Day’s Night – Beatles
37 Confessions On A Dancefloor – Madonna
38 Parachutes – Coldplay
39 Harvest – Neil Young
40 Bad – Michael Jackson
41 American Idiot – Green Day
42 A Kind Of Magic – Queen
43 Faith – George Michael
44 Fever – Kylie Minogue
45 Back In Black – AC/DC
46 Let It Be – Beatles
47 Like A Virgin – Madonna
48 The Unforgettable Fire – U2
49 Imagine – John Lennon & The Plastic Ono Band With The Flux Fiddlers
50 Help! – Beatles
51 Arrival – Abba
52 Led Zeppelin 3 – Led Zeppelin
53 Urban Hymns – Verve
54 Spice – Spice Girls
55 Sing When You’re Winning – Robbie Williams
56 Let’s Dance – David Bowie
57 Hopes And Fears – Keane
58 Diamond Dogs – David Bowie
59 Escapology – Robbie Williams
60 Parklife – Blur
61 Rattle And Hum – U2
62 Hot Fuss – The Killers
63 How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb – U2
64 True Blue – Madonna
65 Sticky Fingers – R*lling St*nes
66 Music – Madonna
67 A Day At The Races – Queen
=68 War – U2
=68 Life Thru A Lens – Robbie Williams
70 No Angel – Dido
71 Physical Graffiti – Led Zeppelin
72 Swing When You’re Winning – Robbie Williams
=73 Super Trouper – Abba
=73 Let It Bleed – R*lling St*nes
75 All Things Must Pass – George Harrison
76 Spiceworld – Spice Girls
77 Dare! – Human League
78 Different Class – Pulp
79 Please Please Me – Beatles
80 Back To Bedlam – James Blunt
81 So – Peter Gabriel
82 All That You Can’t Leave Behind – U2
83 Diva – Annie Lennox
84 Paranoid – Black Sabbath
85 The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan – Bob Dylan
86 Songs About Jane – Maroon 5
87 By The Way – Red Hot Chili Peppers
=88 The Division Bell – Pink Floyd
=88 Scary Monsters And Super Creeps – David Bowie
90 Play – Moby
91 Listen Without Prejudice Volume 1 – George Michael
92 Dangerous – Michael Jackson
93 Voulez-Vous – Abba
94 Innuendo – Queen
95 Demon Days – Gorillaz
96 Love Over Gold – Dire Straits
=97 The Album – Abba
=97 Come On Over – Shania Twain
99 I’ve Been Expecting You – Robbie Williams
100 Welcome To The Pleasuredome – Frankie Goes To Hollywood

Last edited by I am the Paulrus : Aug 29, 2006 at 11:59 AM.
I am the Paulrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 05:41 AM   #2
wildewoman
Taxman

[quote=f
[/QUOTE]

LOL! So unwittingly PERFECT, every single one of those misspellings! Thanks for posting this article and giving me a good early morning giggle!
wildewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 05:58 AM   #3
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

Cool. interesting that it was Pepper again since Revolver seemed to me to be the "in" thing, for lack of better term

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 01:48 PM   #4
instant karla
Sgt. Pepper

Default The Beatles Continue Their Reign Of Brilliance

http://www.cinemablend.com/music/The...iance-902.html

The Beatles Continue Their Reign Of Brilliance
By Brendan Butler: 2006-08-29

Imagine, if you will, a world without “Strawberry Fields” or “A Hard Days Night.” Now think of a world completely devoid of many artists you love today and have adored for most your life. Yes, imagine a world without the Beatles. It isn’t easy, is it?

The fab four sparked a musical and pop culture revolution since hitting the scene in 1964, and the influences they have had on everything are undeniable and immeasurable. Some might even say they’re bigger than Jesus?

According to The Herald, a recent poll shows that Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band is the UK’s favorite album to ever top the record charts. The study compiled over 220,000 votes with Pepper winning the number one spot, beating Michael Jackson’s 1983 album Thriller by 201 votes. In a dose of irony, the study was released on the 40th anniversary of the group’s last performance together, which was a live show in San Francisco.

The results of this study should surprise no one. The Beatles are far from forgotten in the digital age. If anything, a wider access to their music is more readily available today than ever.

Today we still feel the imprint of this historic group everywhere we go. It isn’t only difficult to imagine the world without the Beatles, it’s downright impossible. And to think it all began with a little ditty called "Love Me Do."
instant karla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 03:02 PM   #5
BeatlesFan4life
Dr. Robert

That's some great news. Thanks for posting it.
BeatlesFan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 03:26 PM   #6
AMBOISVERT
Dr. Robert

Interesting to see that the Stones landed only two albums on the list, and neither of them higher than sixtieth. Kind of sad actually. I realize that they are over the hill now, but they were a great band once, and from Beggar's Banquet through Exile on Main Street, had a run of amazing albums.

Tony

AMBOISVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 04:00 PM   #7
twovirgins
Sun King

Wink

ok I like the brits again
Old Jul 11, 2007, 09:05 PM   #8
Take Me Back
Fool On The Hill

I didn't listen to music until I was 18. "A Day In The Life" literally changed my life. This topic goes perfect with the link in my sig. It's the story of when I was reborn in a flaming pie.
Take Me Back is offline   Reply With Quote