BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Old Jan 02, 2010, 09:19 AM   #1
Legs
Sun King

Default McCartney still surprises

Ever heard a Paul song that catches you by surprise after all this time?
One you haven't heard in awhile, but re-discoverd on way or another.
I heard one song by Paul on the radio recently, and I am surprised they played it since it's not an well known song. I liked it very much but couldn't place it.

It's a nice little and beautiful song. Breezy, some nice sax and flutes on it, and I just didn't know what song by Paul it was. When I got home I went through my collection and when I came to my copy of "At The Speed of Sound" I noticed it had a song called "San Ferry Anne". I hadn't played the album in a long while, but I still knew all the other songs, but not "San Ferry Anne". Sure enough it was the song I heard on the radio. It's now among my favourites by Paul.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 02, 2010, 09:47 AM   #2
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

That happens to me all the time. He's just put out SO much stuff and I don't listen to his CD's all the time anymore, so every so often something will just kind of drift out of my awareness until I hear it somewhere and then I start listening to it again.

The latest one for me is "A Love For You"...I found the soundtrack CD when cleaning up my room after it being lost for a year or two, and now I'm crazy for that song.
Old Jan 02, 2010, 03:46 PM   #3
Reverend Rock
Wild Honey Pie

In a word, yes. There have been several times in recent years when I've gone back to listen to something in Paul's catalog that I didn't care for when it was released, and found myself really loving it and wondering what was wrong with me the first time around.

I think part of it for me is that I spent many years demanding that his music be exactly what I would have expected of his Beatles work, and frustrated out of my mind that it wasn't that. At some point, I just let that go and decided, OK, I'm going to listen to him as Paul McCartney, not as 1/4 of the Beatles. That's when I really began appreciating him as an artist.

"There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be."
Reverend Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 02, 2010, 06:33 PM   #4
darkhorse
Sun King

It happens with those lost albums that you think you've heard enough, and pop in from time to time.

Today my dad was driving and he likes to put his music while he does that... so he put in a "Best of Paul" CD that I had made for him about 4 years ago. I didn't remember it, but aside from the usual string of hit singles, I added more slightly obscure things like "Tomorrow", and I was reminded of how much I like that song, Paul's vocal, the piano playing, the vocal arrangement, and even the lyrics, which are hopeful but trembling at the same time. I was in love again with the song. And it keeps on happening.
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 02, 2010, 08:01 PM   #5
Maggie Mae
Mr. Moonlight

It happened to me the other day when I watched The Lake House and heard "This Never Happened Before". I had forgotten entirely about that song, and it was one of my favourites when Chaos and Creation in the Backyard came out. Another one on that album was "Jenny Wren". Beautiful songs -- classic Paul!

And in the end the love you take
Is equal to the love you make
Maggie Mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2010, 12:42 AM   #6
hibgal
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs View Post
I noticed it had a song called "San Ferry Anne". I hadn't played the album in a long while, but I still knew all the other songs, but not "San Ferry Anne". Sure enough it was the song I heard on the radio. It's now among my favourites by Paul.
It's a very nice song indeed. I like it a lot.

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2010, 07:42 AM   #7
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

It happens to me a lot as well. "Just Another Day" is one I have not played ina while and I just love it all the more.

I'm a big fan of "Too Many People" and "Children, Children."

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote