BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Goodnight Vienna

Old Nov 13, 2009, 06:20 PM   #1
Pepperland Kamer
Dr. Robert

Default New Ringo Album in Jan.

http://www.examiner.com/x-2082-Beatl...bum-on-the-way

A new album by former Beatles drummer Ringo Starr, titled "Y Not," is coming in January. Ringo's press office confirmed the January release and told us a further announcement would be coming soon.
The album is listed in a few places online, including Amazon.com. One online retail listing shows a release date of Jan. 12. Ringo's press office said an exact date had not been set, but it would definitely be in January.

But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only.

Nothing Is Beatle-Proof!!
Pepperland Kamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2009, 05:08 PM   #2
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

1964: "A Hard Day's Night"
1964: "Eight Days a Week"
1966: "Tomorrow Never Knows"
2003: Ringo Rama
2003: Let it Be...Naked
2010: Y Not

What the hell happened to you, man? Looks to me like it was Ringo who died in late 1966, not Paul. Worst. Beatles-related album title. Ever.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2009, 05:47 AM   #3
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

I'd probably have to hear a few songs before I felt if it was worth buying or not...

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2009, 06:12 AM   #4
johnnymain
Mr. Moonlight

I wish he'd update his website instead of his Press Office telling the press this information! :)

www.metaltalk.net for Daily Metal News, Reviews and Opinions
johnnymain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2009, 05:47 PM   #5
Pepperland Kamer
Dr. Robert

The cover, from amazon

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...gL._SS500_.jpg

But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only.

Nothing Is Beatle-Proof!!
Pepperland Kamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2009, 01:55 PM   #6
XOG
Fool On The Hill

I like the cover but the album name is terrible.
XOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 07:46 PM   #7
FPSHOT
Sun King

http://www.examiner.com/x-2082-Beatl...Paul-McCartney

Ringo Starr's new "Y Not" album will be released Jan. 12 on Hip-O Records, it was officially announced Thursday.

He''ll have help from some friends, but "Y Not" will also have Ringo in a new hands-on role besides wielding drumsticks. It will mark a first for the 69-year-old former Beatle -- he'll produce it.

Why now?

“I didn’t do it at the start,” he said in a press release announcing the album. “I was the least involved in the production of the Beatle records. And then with my solo records, I worked with some other great producers like Richard Perry, Arif Mardin, and Don Was. So it just seemed like that’s the way that it goes. Then suddenly, it’s another point in your life, and you say, `I’m going do this now.’ So I’ll be producing anything I make from now on. That’s the good news. It’s a confidence thing, I suppose. And 'Y Not' is really another way of me saying, “Yes, I can,” he said in a statement.
In typical Ringo fashion, he said the decision on who to choose for producer was an easy one. “Well, I looked in the mirror. And I was looking real groovy that day.”

In addition to taking the producing reins, many old friends will be on board lending a hand. And it's a no brainer to figure out who'll get the most attention -- Paul McCartney, who plays bass on "Peace Drums," the latest effort by the former Beatle to spread "peace and love." He also sings with Ringo on the album's first single, "Walk With You," written by Starr and Van Dyke Parks, and described as a song about friendship.

And that they are. Starr speaks fondly about how the collaboration came about. “Paul was doing the Grammys, so he came over to the house and was playing bass on `Peace Dream.” So I played him this other track and Paul said, `Give me the headphones. Give me a pair of cans.’ And he went to the mike and he just invented that part where he follows on my vocal. That was all Paul McCartney, and there could be nothing better. He makes it bigger and he makes it fuller. It makes the song like a conversation between us, and that was Paul’s idea to do his part one beat behind me. That’s why he’s a gen-i-us and an incredible bass player.”

There are a lot of other friends onboard, as well. The list includes his recent brother-in-law Joe Walsh, Dave Stewart and longtime Roundheads member Steve Dudas on guitar, Benmont Tench of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers on keyboards, Don Was and Mike Bradford on bass and Bruce Sugar, Starr’s engineer and co-producer, on keyboards. Other guests include Joss Stone, Ben Harper and Richard Marx on vocals, Ann Marie Calhoun on violin and Tina Sugandh -- aka Tina The Tabla Girl in a charming video with Ringo – on tabla and chanting.

In addition, Starr’s composing collaborators for the songs on "Y Not" include more familiar names: In addition to Walsh, Parks, Stewart. and Stone, there's also Glen Ballard, Richard Marx, Gary Nicholson, Gary Wright and former Roundhead band member, Gary Burr.

The songs on the album cover a wide range of styles. There's Starr and Walsh on “Fill In The Blanks,” the rocking opener, which they wrote. There's also “The Other Side Of Liverpool,” an autobiographical song touching on Ringo's early life. “People believe I was born, was a Beatle and lived in a big house,” Starr said. “And where I come from was a very dark, damp, violent neighborhood. I wanted to write another little snapshot of my life, and I’m going to do this every album. It’s better for me than doing it in a book. In two lines I can say what would take five pages. Like the song says, “The other side of Liverpool is cold and damp/Only way out of there/drums, guitar and amp.”

Starr says he received a big vote of confidence on the album from his son Zack. “I just played it for my son Zak. And Zak was so great. He said, 'Dad, it’s great. This rocks! You should have been doing this forever.' It’s nice coming from your boy, especially since he’s a really good drummer.”

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 09:44 PM   #8
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

Wow, this might actually not completely suck. Besides the title, I mean.

Yay!!!!!!
Old Nov 20, 2009, 03:08 AM   #9
johnnymain
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo_rama View Post
Wow, this might actually not completely suck. Besides the title, I mean.
Quoted for truth!

Ordered mine from Amazon already.

www.metaltalk.net for Daily Metal News, Reviews and Opinions
johnnymain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 03:37 AM   #10
darkhorse
Sun King

Indeed it sounds promising. I actually have a feeling that he knew he couldn't go on the direction he was heading to with Choose Love & Liverpool 8, so this couldn't be worse than the latter.

I just hope he doesn't insert all these Beatles references in the lyrics, though - everytime I hear "the long and winding road is more than a song / tomorrow never knows what goes on" I actually cringe. He will put an "It Don't Come Easy" lyric here and there, but well...

It's Ringo, and if it's a Ringo album I will want to listen to it, and buy it, quite possibly.
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 03:47 AM   #11
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy

Ringo's Paul comments in this article are just great!

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdail...w-album-y-not/
Old Nov 20, 2009, 05:30 AM   #12
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
Indeed it sounds promising. I actually have a feeling that he knew he couldn't go on the direction he was heading to with Choose Love & Liverpool 8, so this couldn't be worse than the latter.

I just hope he doesn't insert all these Beatles references in the lyrics, though - everytime I hear "the long and winding road is more than a song / tomorrow never knows what goes on" I actually cringe. He will put an "It Don't Come Easy" lyric here and there, but well...

It's Ringo, and if it's a Ringo album I will want to listen to it, and buy it, quite possibly.
Very well put. He's got to have at least one really good song in him somewhere, but the clutching at straws thing hasn't produced much. And at least he doesn't have that goofball Mark Hudson at the helm anymore. We're all rooting for you Ritchie!! As for the title, he is about 10 years late--he could have called it 'Y2K Not'.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 01:14 AM   #13
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 834 View Post
... at least he doesn't have that goofball Mark Hudson at the helm anymore.
I dunno...

"Vertical man", the 2000 version of "Power to the people" (Eric Burdon/Billy Preston on vocal, Ringo on drums), "Ringorama" and even (considering it's a x-mas album) "I wanna be Santa Claus" are all VERY good pieces, and among Ringo's best...

... and they all they all had that so called goof at the helm...

Last edited by ABCKO : Nov 23, 2009 at 01:16 AM.
ABCKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2009, 01:19 AM   #14
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Ringo's Paul comments in this article are just great!

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdail...w-album-y-not/
"The Beatles drummer will be joined by his Fab Four bandmate Paul McCartney on a couple of tracks, including first single “Walk With Me,” which finds Macca and Starr sharing vocals..."

"Paul was doing the Grammys, so he came over to the house and was playing bass on ‘Peace Dream.’ So I played him this other track and Paul said, ‘Give me the headphones. Give me a pair of cans.’ And he went to the mike and he just invented that part where he follows on my vocal"

... oh, now THIS could be fun and good !

Just one thing though, the artcle does not mention the release dates for...

- "Y not" (the deluxe edition) ... with three bonus tracks...

- "Y not" (the super-deluxe edition) ... with three bonus tracks and a DVD...

- "Y not" (the mega-super-deluxe edition)... with three bonus tracks, a DVD and a poster...

- "Y not" (the ultimate mega-super-deluxe edition)... with three bonus tracks, a DVD, a poster and an autographed drum stick...

- "Y not" (no-really-the-ultimate-mega-super-deluxe edition)... with three bonus tracks, a DVD, a poster, an autographed drum stick and a red tricycle !

-"Y not" (the vintage re-release), including all of the above mentionned perks... plus two additional bonus tracks !

... each edition being released about five months before the previous one...

Ahhh, that "Ringorama" joke never gets old...

Last edited by ABCKO : Nov 23, 2009 at 01:32 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 09:39 AM   #15
Reverend Rock
Wild Honey Pie

I have a feeling that I should get this one. Just the idea of the duet with Paul draws me in right off.

"There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be."
Reverend Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2009, 08:26 PM   #16
bobdude
Dr. Robert

I am really put off by the name of this CD. The first thing that came into my mind when I heard the title was...Y Not......... If you can't think of a better name than that.... Y bother! LOL! After reading the hype for the recording, of course, I'll want to buy it now. After all Liverpool 8 was the first Ringo recording that I said Y bother to. I just downloaded the title track (illegally by the way!) right before seeing him in Reno! His recording output has been rather stale for some time. I being in the catagory that think Choose Love and Rama are really rather mediocre efforts. Yes, I do put the blame on Mark Hudson for those. I posted this before somewhere, but I think Mark wanted to play Beatles with Ringo instead of looking at Ringo as a entity away from the Beatles. IMO the music and Ringo's career suffered for it. IMO(only!) I think Vertical Man was his last really good effort (maybe because Sir Paul made several appearances on it!) and the soundtrack to his Storytellers show featuring the Roundheads.
I do hope that this will be a return to some good music for Ringo. I'd like to see him earn some positive press instead of all the negative, grumpy old man, I won't sign anything stuff we've been reading about him lately.

Last edited by bobdude : Nov 23, 2009 at 08:30 PM.
bobdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 04:21 PM   #17
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCKO View Post
Ahhh, that "Ringorama" joke never gets old...
Yes. It has.

Yay!!!!!!
Old Nov 24, 2009, 10:24 PM   #18
MaccaGirl2891
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to MaccaGirl2891 Send a message via MSN to MaccaGirl2891 Send a message via Yahoo to MaccaGirl2891 Send a message via Skype™ to MaccaGirl2891

I'm anxiously awaiting this album. A duet with Paul will be AWESOME to hear!! The Ringo albums that I own aren't too bad! I can't wait for this one.
George Harrison - 2/25/1943--11/29/2001
Michael Joseph Jackson - 8/29/1958--6/25/2009
MaccaGirl2891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 10:54 PM   #19
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo_rama View Post
Yes. It has.
Well, maybe you rather "enjoyed" dishing out to buy "Ringorama"... only to then find out (only a few months later) that, if you wanted the complete version (3 extra tracks), you then had to buy it a second time, but I didn't and neither did many other of Ringo's fans.

... and if the worst that happens is the odd, joke-like, allusion to it, then someone's getting off lucky as it is.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 12:12 AM   #20
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCKO View Post
Well, maybe you rather "enjoyed" dishing out to buy "Ringorama"... only to then find out (only a few months later) that, if you wanted the complete version (3 extra tracks), you then had to buy it a second time, but I didn't and neither did many other of Ringo's fans.
Straw man in bold. Argumentum ad populum underlined.

Quote:
... and if the worst that happens is the odd, joke-like, allusion to it, then someone's getting off lucky as it is.
The current Ringo joke making the rounds is the "He makes a lot of Beatles and 'It Don't Come Easy' references" joke. Before that was the "Ringo hates his fans" line. Before that was the "Ringo reissues his newest album so many times" joke.

Yay!!!!!!