BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > And Your Bird Can Sing

Old Jan 29, 2007, 12:55 PM   #1
PaulMcartney
Fool On The Hill

Cool Sgt Pepper Is Overated?

Hey All,
On A Beatles Forum Some People Say: Sgt Pepper Is Overated
Thats Because They Have Moustaches And Facial Hair. Weird People Sgt Pepper Is A Great Song And Record And Album!
Post Yur Thought'S Here!
PaulMcartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 01:58 PM   #2
Marmalade Skies
Sun King

Well, I could agree with that. It's overrated because it's probably one of their most famous albums/album covers, and probably the most parodied and what not. But, I do feel some songs off Pepper are infact underrated.
Marmalade Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 02:35 PM   #3
TheRubiksCube
Day Tripper

Send a message via AIM to TheRubiksCube Send a message via MSN to TheRubiksCube Send a message via Yahoo to TheRubiksCube

I believe that Sgt. Pepper deserves all the praise it gets. It's considered to be one of the best - if not the absolute best - albums of all time, and I can't say that I disagree. I think it's thorougly amazing. However, I DO have other close, CLOSE favorite Beatles albums. For example, I think Abbey Road is JUST as good as Sgt. Pepper.
I am the eggman, they are the eggmen
I am the walrus, goo goo g'joob

Last edited by TheRubiksCube : Jan 29, 2007 at 08:00 PM.
TheRubiksCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2007, 04:43 PM   #4
Clark Kent
Sun King

I do take the point that it might be overrated, largely because it was an "event" rather than an album. Certainly Sgt. Pepper's songs are generally not as strong as Revolver's but "A Day in the Life" and "She's Leaving Home" are two of the finest Beatles songs and the album remains in my top four.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 05:08 PM   #5
beatles_gal
Rocky Raccoon

that's true. i think that in terms of the cultural and musical impact that it had, you can't overrate sgt. pepper. it basically started the psychedelia movement, or at the very least increased it greatly.
however, i do think that purely in terms of songs, rubber soul and revolver are stronger.
I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?
--John Lennon
beatles_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 09:13 AM   #6
feelfab
Dr. Robert

I think it's the best lp ever. But in trying to say it in different ways, it does lead to over-hype. Whether it's over-rated or not, it would be hard to find a single work that had as big an influence.
feelfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2007, 04:58 PM   #7
jtal909
Sun King

Nothing ever matched the musical textures created here, not even the Beatles.
Well, maybe Abbey Road came close.

As for the songs, I could do without Good Morning but it has those cool animal sounds.

Would Jimi Hendrix copy Sgt Pepper if it wasn't good? Groundbreaking in style and content.

With a Litttle Help and She's Leaving Home are lyrically and melodically classic in nature yet also unlike any other song before them in a class by themselves, not unlike many Beatle songs.

the poetry of Lucy In The Sky is undeniable, and the instrumental sounds of those guitars in Getting Better are the best although the lyrics might be a throwaway.

Mister Kite is also poetic and musically classic and innovative at the same time. whoever heard of a waltz in rock and roll before?

Fixing a Hole is musically and lyrically innovative cool. (A Beatle band I used to be in went into a local studio a few years ago and when we started rehearsing Fixing A Hole the 2 surfer dudes who ran the place looked at each other and said, ( "Dude, they do fixing a Hole!" ) true story.

Within You Without You has charm although I never considered it a Beatle song sorry George fans :)

When I'm 64 I must admit sounded lame when it came out and I was a young kid too cool to like a song like that but it's a perfectly crafted and sounding song that you must admit is quite catchy.

Lovely rita just won't leave you alone it's a song full of energy color and musical passages that are still fresh. And what a great ending.

And doing a reprise of the title song is a stroke of genius that ties the whole album together and what more can be said about A Day In The Life that hasn't been said already. I wish I was witness to the recording of A Day In The Life.

Last edited by jtal909 : Jan 30, 2007 at 05:01 PM.
jtal909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2007, 11:21 AM   #8
BadLittleKid
Paperback Writer

Even Rubber Soul has better songs than Sgt Pepper, but when you contextualize the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and analyse its cultural impact you'll realize its overall value.

Inside the Beatles catalogue, yes, it is over-rated but as a rock album it well deserves its place.

- Biggles
BadLittleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 07:38 AM   #9
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

Bad Little Kid: I agree! I think maybe compared to other beatles albums it's a little overrated, but not compared to all the rock albums out there

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 11:04 AM   #10
chiliace
Wild Honey Pie

I have to consider, when thinking of Sgt. Pepper, the context of when it appeared. Summer, 1967, sometimes called the Summer of Love. Lots of civil strife; the southern U.S and L.A. in turmoil. Ever seen Montery Pop Festival, filmed in '67 a little after SPLHCB was released? Hippydom in full flower, LSD was almost a weekend ritual for many people. Vietnam, flowerpower, sexual freedom, the whole period was like stepping through the looking glass. BUT, everywhere one went, myself included, SPLHCB was the thread that held the whole montage together. Radio was ubiquitious, and believe me, it was a more limited venue back then. Sgt. Pepper was the back-drop to that summer, and I heard it playing almost everywhere I went. Overrated? Compared to what?
Ttal, Hendrix never copied anyone, no offence. What could you possibly mean by "copy"? This is asked with respect, you understand.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 11:19 AM   #11
AMBOISVERT
Dr. Robert

I think what was meant was simply that Hendrix famously performed Sgt. Pepper's title track—live— on the day it was released. It wasn't a "copy" in the wannabe sense, but a tribute.

Tony

AMBOISVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 04:02 PM   #12
stern
Fool On The Hill

Default Favorite album of all time!

Hello;

Pepper happens to be my favorite album of all time Beatles or not.It is in my mind unbeatable.It just has so many things going on throughout the album.

One of my favorite under rated moments on the album is when the heavy Within You Without ends and then the bouncy tuneful When I'm Sixty Four comes in right after.

The effect is like being in a scorching hot desert while listening to Within You and then someone coming along and throwing a cold pail of water in your face when Sixty Four comes on.In my opinion it's the greatest song segue in the history of rock and roll.

Does anyone know where I can obtain a copy of this album by the band Big Daddy and is it any good?

Carl Balzamo
stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 06:11 PM   #13
jtal909
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMBOISVERT View Post
I think what was meant was simply that Hendrix famously performed Sgt. Pepper's title track—live— on the day it was released. It wasn't a "copy" in the wannabe sense, but a tribute.

Tony
yes, thanks.
that's exactly what I was refering to.
Jimi did it his own way of course and didn't copy per say but played a cover of the title song by hearing a pre-released album and being blown away by it like everyone else.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 07:32 PM   #14
jtal909
Sun King

and here it is!
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 JimiHendrix-Sgt.Pepper'sLonelyHeartsClubBand.mp3 (1.25 MB, 9 views)
Old Feb 21, 2007, 07:53 PM   #15
iFrog
Wild Honey Pie

Lightbulb

There is just so much going on in the Pepper album, horns, harp, animal sounds, fuzzy guitar, Billy Shears, the orchestra crescendo, crashing piano chord, the dream sequence, lyrical integrity, it's hard for me to say it's overrated or anything like that.
iFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:53 AM   #16
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtal909 View Post
and here it is!
Thanks for the link Jtal. Jimi's version is great, do you have a more complete version and one in slightly better quality. One with at least a bit rate of 128 kbps instead of 112?

We had many discusions on this in the past, I just want to say I agree with beatles_gal. You can't ignore the impact the album had, however when you look at the songs I really don't think it's the best Beatles album.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:19 AM   #17
iFrog
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatles_gal
however, i do think that purely in terms of songs, rubber soul and revolver are stronger.
Yes this is an interesting point. Perhaps one should note that stronger is a relative and subjective term here. But without putting too sharp a point on it, Rubber Soul and Revolver are more like mystical crap shoots, and Pepper puts it all together. Both albums are considered to be precursors to the Pepper phenomenon.

"If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace." John Lennon
iFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 06:10 PM   #18
jtal909
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs View Post
Thanks for the link Jtal. Jimi's version is great, do you have a more complete version and one in slightly better quality. One with at least a bit rate of 128 kbps instead of 112?
A friend just happened to send this to me a few days ago out of nowhere.
that's it.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 06:45 AM   #19
jtal909
Sun King

Back to the discussion, and to sum up what I was trying to say in my description of the album, it's subjective of course but although there may be as a collection better songs on another album, this album does have some of their most outstanding tunes and like mentioned by some of the posts there is no denying the record's influence at the time.

so to me, not overrated and a benchmark/milestone in popular music.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 06:46 AM   #20
jtal909
Sun King

Back to the discussion, and to sum up what I was trying to say in my description of the album, it's subjective of course but although there may be as a collection better songs on another album, this album does have some of their most outstanding tunes and like mentioned by some of the posts there is no denying the record's influence at the time.

so to me, not overrated and a benchmark/milestone in popular music.