BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Goodnight Vienna

Old Nov 25, 2009, 12:31 AM   #21
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCKO View Post
Well, maybe you rather "enjoyed" dishing out to buy "Ringorama"... only to then find out (only a few months later) that, if you wanted the complete version (3 extra tracks), you then had to buy it a second time, but I didn't and neither did many other of Ringo's fans.
it being 2009 it would be simple to critisize Ringo for this, who may not even have a thing to say about all these funny releases,

or when you have bought the first version, simply download for free the additions which yes I know is not the same, but..is an option.

Some may not agree to this, but I am still in the world where I have the original RINGO album as LP and then to see a CD version with 'bonus tracks' being there just does not make it the same album.

apart from all that, there is not even any reference to all these separate versions?

Last edited by FPSHOT : Nov 25, 2009 at 12:40 AM.
FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2009, 12:42 AM   #22
FPSHOT
Sun King

Another things is - and I really am no expert on Ringo's albums - but wheren't all these different version albums done by Rhino Records? Which is not the one doing this new album?

Old Nov 25, 2009, 03:38 AM   #23
darkhorse
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo_rama View Post
The current Ringo joke making the rounds is the "He makes a lot of Beatles and 'It Don't Come Easy' references" joke.
Well that is not a joke, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdude
Yes, I do put the blame on Mark Hudson for those. I posted this before somewhere, but I think Mark wanted to play Beatles with Ringo instead of looking at Ringo as a entity away from the Beatles
I think you just hit it. From Time Takes Time on, Ringo has been making Beatles-like music with mixed results; sometimes very good (Time Takes Time, Vertical Man), just good (Ringo Rama, the Christmas album), so-so (Choose Love) and just awful junk (the live albums, Liverpool 8). Of course this has been the course of events that his songwriters and producers have searched for him. Perhaps now that he'll get into a more personal affair, we could hope that the song at least sound more sincere.

To put it in a more straightforward way, manneristic parodies like "Pasodobles", "I Think Therefore I Rock and Roll" or even "La De Da" sound really terrible when put next to really good pop/rock songs like "Weight of the World", "One", "Some People", "Imagine Me There" or even "Liverpool 8" without the lyrics... I much prefer better-constructed pop than stupid self-parodies.

But this is Ringo we're talking about. Ringo the Beatles drummer. Ringo the one with the two-finger peace sign. You know.
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2009, 04:01 AM   #24
FPSHOT
Sun King

I get a little bored from the peace sign, to be honest.

As for the apprecation of Ringo's work, he is and was a drummer who in the Beatles period just did that and had his usual songs, but did develop and you can never compare skills and talents but Ringo does have a long lasting career and this album from what he says about it seems like he is very energetic.

Do we have another band somewhere where all people involved have also managed to even start a solo career and also kept it long lasting as Ringo has it all on his own way for 39 years having started as really the number 4 in the row, being criticised for most of his albums but still keeps it moving?

Many similar musicans choose to just retire.

I kinda admire the inspiration which does not say I like his music all the time, but, it is still Ringo.

Old Nov 25, 2009, 04:02 AM   #25
FPSHOT
Sun King

As for the apprecation of Ringo's work, he is and was a drummer who in the Beatles period just did that and had his usual songs, but did develop and you can never compare skills and talents but Ringo does have a long lasting career and this album from what he says about it seems like he is very energetic.

Do we have another band somewhere where all people involved have also managed to even start a solo career and also kept it long lasting as Ringo has it all on his own way for 39 years having started as really the number 4 in the row, being criticised for most of his albums but still keeps it moving?

I kinda admire the inspiration which does not say I like his music all the time, but, it is still Ringo.

Old Nov 25, 2009, 04:03 AM   #26
FPSHOT
Sun King

Old Nov 25, 2009, 04:59 AM   #27
darkhorse
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT View Post

I do, too. And don't get me wrong, in my humble opinion, Ringo's carrer has been dismissed by critics as something of a throwaway, but they have ignored brilliant songs in the process. He has produced a vast amount of good music throughout the years, despite the negative press reviews. I applaud that.

I truly believe that he could still do a bit of good music if he surrounds himself with the correct people and gets to have fun and really write songs... I'm hopeful that his next album will serve that purpose.
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2009, 05:21 AM   #28
FPSHOT
Sun King

I believe we all have our 'taste'.

That I believe is the main factor here.

When you hear a song you will at some point know if you like it.

As for Ringo there are several great admirers of him here, which is funny to be a little in my 'group' of people like Ringo Rama, Legs, you, ABKCO and each album of Ringo has indeed some good songs.

Maybe we compare too much.

Maybe what if we would just compare to the one song he did on Rubber Soul but did make him brilliant on it.

I do believe from what he says about this album that he want this to be great and yes pleas forgive me but RINGO - the album - was the best thing he did, I believe but also with people he chose around him like what he will be doing now again.

Last edited by FPSHOT : Nov 25, 2009 at 05:21 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 05:28 AM   #29
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
I truly believe that he could still do a bit of good music if he surrounds himself with the correct people and gets to have fun and really write songs... I'm hopeful that his next album will serve that purpose.
I hope so too

Maybe Ringo did a little bit too much reminiscing on some albums. Liverpool, Beatles, George, these things maybe were a bit overdone even though we love him for having those feelings and to see Paul is around him on this new album sounds so promising.

Last edited by FPSHOT : Nov 25, 2009 at 05:29 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 01:44 AM   #30
johnnymain
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCKO View Post
Well, maybe you rather "enjoyed" dishing out to buy "Ringorama"... only to then find out (only a few months later) that, if you wanted the complete version (3 extra tracks), you then had to buy it a second time, but I didn't and neither did many other of Ringo's fans...
I've got two copies of "Ringorama" - the original CD/DVD edition and the Deluxe Edition. I didn't think twice about buying the latter as I knew it was a good album and was interested to hear the extra tracks and Interview disc.

I've not once regretted buying it - it's no different from buying, say, Def Leppard's "Hysteria" album and then a couple of years later buying the Deluxe 2 CD edition or buying a copy of "Let It Be" on CD in the 1980s, "Let It Be - Naked" in the 1990s and then the remasted version that's just been released. :)

www.metaltalk.net for Daily Metal News, Reviews and Opinions
johnnymain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2009, 10:06 PM   #31
FPSHOT
Sun King

There is a new video on Ringo's site where he talks about the album and you can see/hear parts of the title song which sounds quite cool

http://www.ringostarr.com/home.php

Old Dec 04, 2009, 05:51 AM   #32
taxman
Taxman

'Guess a good cover was not a priority for Ringo in this album...
taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 05, 2009, 12:17 AM   #33
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
Another things is - and I really am no expert on Ringo's albums - but wheren't all these different version albums done by Rhino Records? Which is not the one doing this new album?
I think so, only "Ringo Rama" had this deluxe edtion shortly after the normal one. There were no other special releases from the other albums since.

I admit that after "Liverpool 8" I was in no rush to buy another Ringo album the day it would come out. I know what I can expect from Ringo, just a good fun album, but "Liverpool 8" was belows even Ringo's standards. This looks promising tho.

Last edited by Legs : Dec 05, 2009 at 12:17 AM.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 05, 2009, 12:18 AM   #34
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman View Post
'Guess a good cover was not a priority for Ringo in this album...
Not fond of the cover, but hopefully the music was the priority.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 05, 2009, 07:50 AM   #35
mluque125
Paperback Writer

Send a message via AIM to mluque125

Quote:

I agree completely. I honestly can not name any other band where all members managed to maintain a solo career as long as Ringo's (correct me if I'm wrong). Granted a lot of it has been mediocre, but he's done some good stuff and still loves what he does.

Inspiration, move me brightly.
Light the song with sense and color;
Hold away despair, more than this I will not ask.
mluque125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2009, 01:55 AM   #36
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mluque125 View Post
I agree completely. I honestly can not name any other band where all members managed to maintain a solo career as long as Ringo's (correct me if I'm wrong). Granted a lot of it has been mediocre, but he's done some good stuff and still loves what he does.
Closest one might me Genesis, with the likes of Gabriel, Collins and Rutherford (via "Mike & the mechanics") all enjoying pretty hefty levels of chart success + record/ticket sales and even Tony Banks and Steve Hackett have put out the odd good solo work or two as well.

But like I've often said, that Ringo (just in his heyday) outsold all the solo Rolling Stones members (combined !) output, says quite a lot...
ABCKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2009, 10:59 AM   #37
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo_rama View Post
Wow, this might actually not completely suck. Besides the title, I mean.
Retracted. He has a song on there called "Who's Your Daddy." Stick a fork in it.

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 05:27 AM   #38
taxman
Taxman

Tracklisting:

1. Fill In The Blanks
2. Peace Dream
3. The Other Side Of Liverpool
4. Walk With You - Ringo Starr, Paul McCartney
5. Time
6. Everyone Wins
7. Mystery Of The Night
8. Can't Do It Wrong
9. Y Not
10. Who's Your Daddy - Ringo Starr, Joss Stone
taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 06:27 PM   #39
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

"1. Fill In The Blanks" - It's like he's directly referencing how he composes his songs.

I saw my friend NAME OF FORMER BEATLE and I played him OLD RINGO-SUNG BEATLES SONG, mate
And you know what he told me? It was great
Then I played him LATEST RINGO ALBUM and he began to get queasy
I guess it's true what they say, making music don't come easy!

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 01:07 AM   #40
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
it being 2009 it would be simple to critisize Ringo for this, who may not even have a thing to say about all these funny releases,

or when you have bought the first version, simply download for free the additions which yes I know is not the same, but..is an option.

Some may not agree to this, but I am still in the world where I have the original RINGO album as LP and then to see a CD version with 'bonus tracks' being there just does not make it the same album.

apart from all that, there is not even any reference to all these separate versions?
Where did I say, or even imply, that it had been RINGO's doing ?

Not everyone owns a PC...

Easy, with CD's, as one can decide NOT to program (play) the bonus tracks. Also, with "Ringo", it's very different as except for "Down and out", none of the extra songs has anything to do with that LP, heck, some of the tracks pre-date the LP by two years... where as the extra "Ringorama" songs were outakes from that very album... and, with the "new" version being released only months after the first version it then becomes a bit murky as to wether, or not, the second version can be considered the "original" one also, back to the "Ringo" extra tracks, all the songs except "Down and out" could not have been put on any other album short of a compilation... and since the likes of "Down and out" and "Blindman" were not quite amongst Ringo's biggest hits (LOL), they then could not be included on a standard compilation.

Not sure I understand that last part...

Last edited by ABCKO : Dec 15, 2009 at 01:17 AM.
ABCKO is offline   Reply With Quote