BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Here, There & Everywhere

Old Mar 19, 2011, 07:22 AM   #61
FPSHOT
Sun King

Is Gilbert anywhere related to Japan?

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2011, 07:54 PM   #62
beatlelover45223

Gilbert did the duck voiceover for the Aflac commercials, Aflac insurance does 80% of it's business in Japan.....Needless to say Aflac thought Gilbert's joking about the situation in Japan as tasteless.....

~ Nancy ~
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2011, 07:56 PM   #63
beatlelover45223

My money is going to Matthew 25 Ministries for Japan, they are fantastic, always there when help is needed.....

~ Nancy ~
Old Mar 20, 2011, 08:36 AM   #64
darkhorse23
Dr. Robert

An 80 year old grandmother and her teenage grandson were found alive and rescued Sunday, 9 days after the earthquake!

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/03...le-2145427460/
www.americanpatrol.com[/color]
darkhorse23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2011, 03:46 PM   #65
hibgal
Sun King

Default Power restored to stricken nuclear plant

But still far to go. Here's the latest news bulletin from BBC.

Lights restored at Japan nuclear reactor

22 March 2011 Last updated at 21:58 GMT

Lighting has been restored in the control room of one of the most badly-damaged reactors at Japan's stricken Fukushima nuclear plant, officials say. It is hoped the development will speed up work to restore cooling systems vital for stabilising the reactor. Meanwhile, the UN's nuclear watchdog says radiation is still leaking from the quake-hit plant, but scientists are unsure exactly where it is coming from. Japan estimates more than 21,000 people died in the 11 March quake and tsunami.

The lights came back on in the control centre of reactor 3, hours after power cables were connected to all six reactors for the first time. The BBC's Mark Worthington in Tokyo says the hope is that as visibility within the plant improves, so will the chances of restarting cooling systems and monitoring equipment. The Fukushima Daiichi plant's operators, Tokyo Electric Power (Tepco), said engineers will try to power up water pumps to reactor 3 some time on Wednesday. However, they warned that safety checks had to be made to damaged equipment and any volatile gases vented, to avoid an explosion when the electricity is switched back on. They said restoring power to all the reactor units could take weeks or even months. Workers have been battling to cool the reactors and spent fuel ponds to avoid a major release of radiation. Emergency teams at Fukushima have also poured seawater into a boiling storage pond housing spent nuclear fuel rods, cooling it and stopping clouds of steam - possibly radioactive - rising from it.

On Tuesday, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) said that radiation was continuing to be emitted from the plant but it was difficult to pinpoint its exact source. Senior official James Lyons said the IAEA and Japanese officials could not confirm that the damaged reactors were "totally intact" or if they were cracked and leaking radiation. "We continue to see radiation coming from the site... and the question is where exactly is that coming from," Mr Lyons told a news conference. The government has evacuated tens of thousands of people within a 20km (12-mile) radius of the plant and told residents 10km beyond that to stay indoors. The US has recommended an 80km exclusion zone.

FUKUSHIMA UPDATE
  • Reactor 1: Damage to the core from cooling problems. Building holed by gas explosion. Power lines attached.
  • Reactor 2: Damage to the core from cooling problems. Building holed by gas blast; containment damage suspected. Power lines attached.
  • Reactor 3: Damage to the core from cooling problems. Building holed by gas blast; containment damage possible. Spent fuel pond partly refilled with water after running low. Power lines attached.
  • Reactor 4: Reactor shut down prior to earthquake. Fires and explosion in spent fuel pond; water level partly restored. Power lines attached.
  • Reactors 5 & 6: Reactors shut down. Temperature of spent fuel pools now lowered after rising high. Power lines attached.

Tepco vice president Norio Tsuzumi has visited evacuation centres to meet those forced from their homes. Bowing deeply, he said: "Since I have tried to manage this problem hand-in-hand with the government, my visit here to directly meet you was belated. For this I also apologise from the bottom of my heart."

Higher than normal levels of radiation have been detected in seawater about 16km (10 miles) off the coast near the plant, but the government said they did not pose an immediate danger to human health. Officials did however stop food shipments in nearby prefectures after detecting higher-than-normal levels of radiation in milk and certain vegetables, although authorities again insisted there was no health hazard.

Meanwhile, strong aftershocks are continuing to rattle the north-east of Japan, adding to the misery of more than 300,000 people still huddled in evacuation centres across 16 prefectures. Tens of thousands of homes are still without power and more than two million people have no running water, officials say. Police say the confirmed death toll from the earthquake and tsunami is now 9,079, with 12,645 missing.

Article link

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 02:26 PM   #66
The New AimeeAndBeatles
Sgt. Pepper

For your radiation fears:
http://xkcd.com/radiation/

(If you eat 8,000,000 bananas you'll die of radiation poisoning.)
Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:09 PM   #67
darkhorse23
Dr. Robert

Wasn't sure which organization to which to donate. Out of respect for Yoko who supports the Red Cross, I donated to them today and learned the company where I work will match employee donations.
Old Apr 04, 2011, 10:38 PM   #68
darkhorse23
Dr. Robert

Just saw on the news that a dog was found floating on debris and was rescued and reunited with its family. Authorities and experts are amazed that the dog apparently survived more than 3 weeks after the devastating earthquake/tsunami.
Old Apr 05, 2011, 07:51 PM   #69
beatlelover45223

Unhappy

I am so very sad to hear that the nuclear power plant in Japan had to dump radioactive water into the ocean, in order to add more water to cool another reactor that is more radioactive, poor Earth, will it ever have peace again in our lifetimes

~ Nancy ~
Old Sep 14, 2011, 08:53 AM   #70
VersusBatman
Sun King

This is amazing! Look how much they recovered.

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/six-mon...123709779.html

It looks like they just put a whole lotta movies in a blender and turned it on really fast. - Myster Science Theater 3000

"They're dead grotty!" - George Harrison

Comic Book Guy: But, Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds... Oh, I've wasted my life. - The Simpsons
VersusBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2011, 10:04 AM   #71
Georgie Girl
Sun King

I wonder if the school is in session. I didn't see a soul around it, but it didn't look touched at all.

The west is
the best.
Georgie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:39 AM   #72
VersusBatman
Sun King

I don't know.

This sounds a bit weird, but after I heard about the earthquake, I rented anime and Japanese made films.

It looks like they just put a whole lotta movies in a blender and turned it on really fast. - Myster Science Theater 3000

"They're dead grotty!" - George Harrison

Comic Book Guy: But, Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds... Oh, I've wasted my life. - The Simpsons
VersusBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:22 AM   #73
raul
Paperback Writer

David Icke, whom i personally can't stand, says the earthquake was human caused. Tesla said in the 40s that hae had a device which can split the earth in half. So, imagine what they have now. if it's true. i heard there were issues between US and japan and Us wanted japan down. so they did it. radiation will emmerge in a generation or two...japan is over.

Legs
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 02:35 PM   #74
Bongo
Nowhere Man

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
David Icke, whom i personally can't stand, says the earthquake was human caused. Tesla said in the 40s that hae had a device which can split the earth in half. So, imagine what they have now. if it's true. i heard there were issues between US and japan and Us wanted japan down. so they did it. radiation will emmerge in a generation or two...japan is over.
Do you really believe that??????