BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Apr 12, 2003, 09:24 AM   #1
Siobhan
Old Brown Shoe

Default Yoko Approves Musical About John\'s Life

http://www.dailytelegraph.co.uk/news...12/ixhome.html

A yes from Yoko Ono
By Hugh Davies, Entertainment Correspondent
(Filed: 12/04/2003)

Yoko Ono has approved a musical version of the life of John Lennon that is likely to open up new wounds in her 22-year feud with Sir Paul McCartney.

Lennon's widow, blamed for the break-up of The Beatles as well as his divorce from his first wife Cynthia, wants the show to concentrate on their relationship rather than his early years in Liverpool.

The musical is expected to re-create the couple's 1969 "bed-in" and songs will include The Ballad of John and Yoko and excerpts from the album Two Virgins, the couple's first collaboration, whose cover featured their nude photographs.

Ono, 70, is likely to base the show on Come Together, a two-hour tribute that she helped organise in 2001 in New York, in which nothing of the pre-Ono Lennon was depicted and the Beatles were not mentioned once.

The New York film director Don Scardino, who made Soul Man with Dan Aykroyd and is involved with The West Wing television series, will create the new show. Ono has yet to discuss whether it will feature her husband's murder by a deranged fan in 1980.

If, as expected, the show is a hit in America, efforts will be made to bring it to London. However, a Beatles-inspired musical, All You Need Is Love, failed to catch on in the West End two years ago.
Siobhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2003, 09:41 AM   #2
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Default Re: Yoko Approves Musical About John\'s Life

I just have to say this, though it may upset some people...

As much as I like Yoko, I just don't care much for the way she focuses attention away from the fact that John had a life previous to her. What I mean is...not the Beatles or Paul, or even Cynthia. I'm talking more along the lines of Julian. Yoko, whether its deliberate or not, seems to almost ignore his very existence-like in that "Come Togther" concert which I just saw on video a day or so ago. It was great, and Yoko took pains to showcase John's resonance by having all those new artists perform, but there were clips at different parts of the show, and Sean is very much depicted throughout, seemingly, as John's only child. (Or atleast the child that counts.)

This is honestly my only qualm with Yoko. I like Julian a lot. It must hurt him that someone has the control (Yoko) to practically erase his existence in his father's life from the public. I'm not saying its intentional...I understand its probably hard for Yoko to think of John's early life, but still...that's his son. He has the same right as Sean does to be mentioned.

And also, I know Sean certainly has nothing to do with any of this. From all I've read, he comes off as a remarkably nice guy. He even has mentioned over and over how much he loves his brother, but I think Yoko should really be a bigger person and just accept that part of John's life more. It won't make her contribution to John's life any smaller, and I think it would only be fair. That's my opinion on that whole matter. I still like Yoko, though.

[size="1"][ Apr 14, 2003, 06:02 AM: Message Edited By: Apple Scruff ][/size]
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2003, 08:17 PM   #3
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted By angelgodiva:

I agree about Julian, too. I feel badly for him and don't think he gets the recognition and mention that he deserves. I believe that John would also agree. He wanted very much to connect with his first child and felt badly about missing out on his childhood and not being there for him.
I have to believe that he would have repaired the relationship completely if he'd had the time.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">My heart goes out to Julian, really. I believe that if John had not been killed, they most certainly would have healed their relationship. I can not even begin to comprehend the pain that that must cause Julian. It's not like his life before his father's death was incredibly happy anyway. If anyone was a victim, it was him.

For this reason, I just can't overlook the obvious manner in which Yoko treats Julian's place in his father's life. Its pretty sad, particularly from someone like Yoko. If I have to take sides with anyone, its Julian. Once I made a joke about how Julian has a habit of whining a lot about his life...although I think he does overdue it at times, I think he has the right.

Anyway, my opinion about the whole thing is pretty set. I'm with Julian on this. I love anything that has John in it, but I'd rather see his whole life shown, because the life previous to "John and Yoko" had a HUGE impact in making him the person we all love and remember today, flaws included.
Old Apr 12, 2003, 11:28 PM   #4
angelgodiva
Bulldog

I also am a Yoko fan, but I do agree with you. When I read this article my immediate reaction was, "Uh-oh, Yoko, you're making a mistake not to include John's Beatles career in the story; in fact I would begin the story in 1956, if I were writing it, and go as far back as The Quarrymen.
I agree about Julian, too. I feel badly for him and don't think he gets the recognition and mention that he deserves. I believe that John would also agree. He wanted very much to connect with his first child and felt badly about missing out on his childhood and not being there for him.
I have to believe that he would have repaired the relationship completely if he'd had the time.
angelgodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2003, 12:10 PM   #5
shonatinik
Rocky Raccoon

Well i prety much agree with everyones views here. I am not a big fan of yoko and i dont know much about her really but i find it very sad that she seems to continually belittle johns life before her. I dont think it would be a fitting tribute to john if such a large part of his life is taken away from the work. Johns past is what made him the man he was. His loves, losses, tears and smiles and not forgetting the other boys etc are all important. I too feel very sorry for Julian, he must wonder what he has done to this woman. John did try and patch things up with Julian for not being there and i feel that he and john would have had a beatiful relationship given time and chance. Yoko seems to appreciate his past at times (opening the house and airport etc) but then totally destroys everything with stuff like this. Sorry this sounds like a yoko bashing but I just dont understand why it cant be a complete story of john.
shonatinik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2003, 06:16 PM   #6
Hari Krishna
Nowhere Man

I respect what Yoko is trying to do but being a Beatle was as much part of John's life. John being a Beatle simply can't be ignored and hidden under a rug. I remember watching the Come Together tribute and it felt sort of a cover up of him being a Beatle. But it's her choice so... [img]graemlins/shakehead3.gif[/img]
Hari Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2003, 03:57 AM   #7
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

I agree with what all of you have said before, but I guess Yoko wouldn't be the first person to act like her (or in this case, her husband's) life began with their meeting. I actually had a friend once who threw out all photos of her with her old boyfriends when she got married because she wanted to pretend she didn't have a life before she met him. Wild. I can't imagine doing that!

Sure, meeting "the one" is a life altering experience, but it doesn't mean you didn't have a life before that.

That said, I suppose she can focus on any era of his life she wants to, but maybe it'd be wise not to discount the past, even if it's not actively included in the story.
Rellevart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2003, 04:10 AM   #8
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

I absolutely agree with the sentiments expressed here -- I respect Yoko a lot, but I do really think it is terrible how she tries to gloss over John's life before she came into the picture. And I've also said that I think that Julian whines a lot, but I can't say I don't think it's warranted sometimes...

I'd be more interested in seeing a musical about John that covered his WHOLE life -- e.g., beginning with the Beatles, for God's sake! Not that I don't think the other stuff is important, but honestly...Yoko, what the heck ARE you thinking!??

Of course, as Rell said, she's not the only second wife to try and erase the memory of the first one...can you say "Heather Mills McCartney" anyone??? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] That said, it doesn't make it right...and to try and ignore or otherwise gloss over John's life prior to Yoko's arrival in it is to deny more than half of the man's musical and cultural legacy.

NONE of this, btw, is a reflection on Sean or Julian -- they both do say that they get along very well, and that's great...but then again, they are two grown men, they can do what they want with their own relationship at this point and Yoko be hanged!
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2003, 05:13 AM   #9
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted By HMVNipper:

NONE of this, btw, is a reflection on Sean or Julian -- they both do say that they get along very well, and that's great...but then again, they are two grown men, they can do what they want with their own relationship at this point and Yoko be hanged!
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I absolutely agree with what you all are saying about Yoko not being the first to try and erase their significant other's (or their's) past in one way or another. I suppose that it must be some instinctive nature in people who have extreme jealous tendencies, or maybe something else.

As far as Sean and Julian...I am amazed at how well-adjusted they have both turned out to be. I suppose they both have their share of problems, but at the same time, the way they speak about each other is so genuinely lovely. I found a quote from both Sean and Julian speaking about the other, just to show everyone:

Sean: I love Julian. He is not only important to me because he's my brother, but because he showed me how the world might perceive my music career.

Julian: I have a brother and I love Sean very much and I hope that he's able to cope with his destiny...One thing's for sure he's got a big brother who will protect him and love him till the end, whatever happens.

---------------

I for one think that's lovely, and only wish Yoko could be more understanding towards Julian. But perhaps that is too much to ask.

[size="1"][ Apr 14, 2003, 06:15 AM: Message Edited By: Apple Scruff ][/size]
Old Apr 14, 2003, 07:08 AM   #10
onosideboards
Taxman

I finally picked up the new BUST magazine (a feminist publication), which focuses on women and aging. There's an absolutely amazing photo of Yoko and a nice interview. All night I looked at that photo and kept saying to myself, "She kicks so much a**!" But one little news story like the one we're discussing here can nearly erase all that.

It's all so strange with her. She's talented, she's cool, she cares about the world...yet she can also be the bitchiest chick ever. I just don't understand how she thinks that's ok. I mean, is she doing stuff like this for the fans? For money? Just to piss of Paul? I really don't get it. What Lennon fan ONLY likes his post-Beatle work? Puhlease.

I mean, I think it's cool to not care what other people think of you, but there is a point where you must consider your actions. What she is doing/has done to John's estate is a disgrace to John and his previous family and friends. A musical/play sounds incredibly cheesy and lame anyway, even if it is Yoko's idea. The only way it'd be cool is if she'd somehow incorporate ideas like "Cut Piece."

I'm almost ready to say let's boycott this thing. Let's let Yoko know that the fans are not appreciative and that we have the right to be discerning and not buy into this play.
onosideboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2003, 09:10 AM   #11
angelgodiva
Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted By Apple Scruff:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Originally Posted By HMVNipper:

<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I absolutely agree with what you all are saying about Yoko not being the first to try and erase their significant other's (or their's) past in one way or another. I suppose that it must be some instinctive nature in people who have extreme jealous tendencies, or maybe something else.

As far as Sean and Julian...I am amazed at how well-adjusted they have both turned out to be. I suppose they both have their share of problems, but at the same time, the way they speak about each other is so genuinely lovely. I found a quote from both Sean and Julian speaking about the other, just to show everyone:

Sean: I love Julian. He is not only important to me because he's my brother, but because he showed me how the world might perceive my music career.

Julian: I have a brother and I love Sean very much and I hope that he's able to cope with his destiny...One thing's for sure he's got a big brother who will protect him and love him till the end, whatever happens.

---------------

I for one think that's lovely, and only wish Yoko could be more understanding towards Julian. But perhaps that is too much to ask.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Oh, John must be so proud of Sean and Julian for not letting anything or anyone stand in the way of their relationship. What great guys they turned out to be...just like their father. On thing is for sure, John didn't make any less than the greatest kids.
angelgodiva is offline   Reply With Quote