BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Old Nov 17, 2003, 06:57 AM   #1
joenamherst
Dr. Robert

Default \'Rolling Stone\' Top 500 Albums of All Time!

In todays USA Today there is an article about a 'Rolling Stone'magazine poll....The Top 500 Albums of All Time. Our heroes are no.1-Sgt. Peppers, no.3-Revolver, no.5-Rubber Soul, no.10-White Album, no.14-Abbey Road. The Beatles led with 11 albums in the top 500. This article is on usatoday.com. I am using web tv and cannot put the article on Beatlelinks. Go to their homepage abd click 'Life', when the Life page opens you will see the Beatles article link on the right side of the page.
The full list will be published in 'Rolling Stone'which will be on the newstands this friday.
joenamherst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 07:36 AM   #2
fabgirl
Apple Scruff

Default Re: \'Rolling Stone\' Top 500 Albums of All Time!

Here's the article, along with the link.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/n...one-list_x.htm

Posted 11/17/2003 4:07 AM
Updated 11/17/2003 10:19 AM

It's certainly a thrill: 'Sgt. Pepper' is best album

By Edna Gundersen, USA TODAY

To everyone's complete lack of surprise, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band has been anointed the best album ever in a new Rolling Stone poll.

Rolling Stone chose the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band as the top album of all time, but editors say Pepper "wasn't a slam dunk."

The Beatles' consecrated 1967 classic tops "The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time," a collector's issue on stands Friday. Though typically the odds-on favorite for such rankings, Sgt. Pepper wasn't a slam-dunk.

"There was a horse race," says Rolling Stone music editor Joe Levy. "Early on, any number of albums in the top 10 were in the lead. The final result is no shock, but there's a reason for that. The Beatles, after all, were the most important and innovative rock group in the world. And Sgt. Pepper arguably set the tone for what an album could be."

The Beatles have four albums in the top 10. Predictably, the list is weighted toward testosterone-fueled vintage rock. The top solo female is Joni Mitchell, whose 1971 Blue is No. 30.

The newest entry is this year's Elephant by the White Stripes, landing at No. 390. The most current disc in the top 20 is Nirvana's 1991 breakthrough, Nevermind. Recent albums by Coldplay and The Strokes also made the cut, as did all three Eminem releases and a wide range of hip-hop.

"A classic record proves itself over time," Levy says, "so it's gratifying and surprising to see so many newer records on the list, considering they're competing against such beloved and titanic records as Rubber Soul and Dusty in Memphis."

Rolling Stone asked musicians, critics, historians and key industry figures to rank their 50 favorites. The 273 participants included Beck, U2's The Edge, Jackson Browne, Art Garfunkel, Missy Elliott and members of Red Hot Chili Peppers, Metallica, Linkin Park and The Doors. The Ernst & Young accounting firm devised a point system to weight votes for 1,600 submitted titles.

Voters were invited to identify favorites from any period or genre, allowing a smattering of country (Johnny Cash), jazz (Miles Davis) and seminal blues (Howlin' Wolf). The list also accommodates greatest hits collections and live recordings; four James Brown picks include two sets of hits and Live at the Apollo (1963). Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Hank Williams, The Drifters and Loretta Lynn, who flourished during the era of 45s, are represented only by hits compilations.

"Artists whose best works were singles are not going to be well represented," Levy notes. For example, he adds, "Disco is under-represented because it's a singles-driven genre."

Top 10 albums

1. The Beatles, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
2. The Beach Boys, Pet Sounds
3. The Beatles, Revolver
4. Bob Dylan, Highway 61 Revisited
5. The Beatles, Rubber Soul
6. Marvin Gaye, What's Going On
7. The Rolling Stones, Exile on Main Street
8. The Clash, London Calling
9. Bob Dylan, Blonde on Blonde
10. The Beatles, The Beatles (The White Album)

For more details visit rollingstone.com
fabgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 07:40 AM   #3
Norwegian_Wood
Nowhere Man

Also...

It's Beatlemania on all-time-best rock album list
By Edna Gundersen, USA TODAY
We gathered up a few interesting statistics from the Rolling Stone "500 Greatest Albums of All Time" list:
Artists with the most entries in Rolling Stone's 500 best albums:

Beatles: 11

Bob Dylan: 10

Rolling Stones: 10

Bruce Springsteen: 8

The Who: 7

David Bowie: 6

Elton John: 6

5 each: The Byrds, Led Zeppelin, Neil Young, Otis Redding, U2

4 each: Madonna, Bob Marley, Elvis Costello, Grateful Dead, James Brown, Police, The Smiths, Velvet Underground, Pink Floyd, Prince, Roxy Music, Simon & Garfunkel, Sly & the Family Stone, Stevie Wonder, Talking Heads.

Decade by decade breakdown: 50s or before: 29 albums (5.8% of total 500 list) 60s: 126 (25.2%, but 55% of the top 20 70s: 183 (36.6%) 80s: 88 (17.6%) 90s: 61 (12.2%) 00s: 13 (2.6%).

Albums by men or male-led groups: 439 (87.8%)

Women or female-led groups: 47 (9.4%)

Mixed groups (with more or less equal female and male lead singers): 14 (2.8%)
http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/n...-sidebar_x.htm
Norwegian_Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 08:21 AM   #4
dyermaker1040
Day Tripper

i must be retarded or something because i cannot find the complete list!!! someone help me! or at least tell me how THe Who and Led Zeppelin placed. it would also be interesting to see how other beatle albums placed.....please??
thank you
dyermaker1040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 08:32 AM   #5
Norwegian_Wood
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted By dyermaker1040:
i must be retarded or something because i cannot find the complete list!!! someone help me! or at least tell me how THe Who and Led Zeppelin placed. it would also be interesting to see how other beatle albums placed.....please??
thank you
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">As far as I can tell, it isn't up anywhere (and may not ever be unless someone copies it off). A lot of times with these sort of lists, they only give the top part of it initally as a "teaser" of sorts.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 12:25 PM   #6
dyermaker1040
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted By Norwegian_Wood:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Originally Posted By dyermaker1040:
thank you
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">As far as I can tell, it isn't up anywhere (and may not ever be unless someone copies it off). A lot of times with these sort of lists, they only give the top part of it initally as a "teaser" of sorts.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">BOO!!!! that means i have to spend money to get the magazine!!!!! hahaa
thank you, Norwegian_Wood
Old Nov 17, 2003, 04:50 PM   #7
onosideboards
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted By dyermaker1040:
thank you
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">don't worry dyer, i was having the same problem [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .
onosideboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 04:58 PM   #8
Sgt.McCartney
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to Sgt.McCartney

Finally, a poll with I generally agree with. We'll see the rest in the magazine maybe?
Sgt.McCartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 08:57 PM   #9
One_Sweet_Dream
Taxman

Good job to the people at Rolling Stone, I think you did an excellent job ! Eleven Beatles albums, with four in the Top 10? fantastic!
One_Sweet_Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 10:20 PM   #10
FPSHOT
Sun King

Look forward to see what else in on the list, like All Things Must Pass.

[size="1"][ Nov 17, 2003, 11:22 PM: Message Edited By: FPSHOT ][/size]
FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2003, 01:51 PM   #11
getback
Wild Honey Pie

here's shirly jackson's (garbage) thoughts on the white album from that issue:

"the first time i heard the WA-and i can remember it exactly-i was getting finger-f*cked by someone. as you can imagine, it's been etched in my memory ever since. but it captured my attention because it was so diverse, a really eclectic sound coming one group. i think you get more bang for your buck than any of their others- "happiness", "revolution", "i'm so tired" (which i play all the time) and "julia" which is just painful to listen to. i've always wanted the freedom to try different things musically, and i'm sure that was formed by listening to the beatles. now, after two years of very expensive therapy, i've come to realize there are some unbelieveably god-given-talented geniuses in this world, and they set the barometer by which all others are judged. if you can show up on the barometer, you've done your best. but that combination of songwriters in one band and at one time is luck that will probably never happen again. they were the collision of the stars."
getback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2003, 02:19 PM   #12
StrawberryFieldsFanNo9
Wild Honey Pie

If your wondering what other places our fab four got here it is:
#22 John's Plastic Ono Band
#39 Please Please Me
#59 Meet The Beatles
#76 John's Imagine
#86 Let It Be
#332 Help!
#388 A Hard Day's Night
#437 George's All Things Must Pass
StrawberryFieldsFanNo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2003, 02:59 PM   #13
joenamherst
Dr. Robert

Here's two more:
418. Paul's Band On The Run 420. With The Beatles
The complete list is now posted on rollingstone.com.
The list has everybody on it from Merle Haggard to Frank Sinatra to Eminem.
joenamherst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2003, 03:16 PM   #14
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

Well for once I'm not complaining about the list...I'm pretty content about it this time [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2003, 05:20 PM   #15
Norwegian_Wood
Nowhere Man

Hmmm, interesting. With the Beatles and Meet the Beatles both made the list.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 06:01 PM   #16
dyermaker1040
Day Tripper

hey cool, if you go to rollingstone.com and click on the cover for "500 greatest albums" and then clikc on "greatest videos" you can see john's Imagine video!! if you enter in some info... [img]graemlins/angry11.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ Nov 20, 2003, 07:02 PM: Message Edited By: dyermaker1040 ][/size]
Old Nov 20, 2003, 07:57 PM   #17
kc
Mr. Moonlight

So there are some polls I like! Such as the ones that give the Beatles their due. [img]graemlins/smile1.gif[/img] *

Just might have to run out tomorrow and buy this mag...
kc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2003, 08:01 PM   #18
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

500 albums. And strangely enough, I've heard a lot of them. So now it's time for another Ringo_Rama review of these lists. I'll try to do 25 at a time or so. You might notice that I sometimes get lost and just say something random. But that only happens periodically. At least I think it does.

http://www.rollingstone.com/features...n.asp?pid=2164

1. As much as I love the Beatles, this album never "did it" for me. Not the Beatles' best album, let alone the best of all time.

2. Some good stuff here. I'm really not a Beach Boys fan because some of their stuff sounds way too similar to other songs they do. I'm not into the surfing thing either. But this album strays away from the surfing and car thing so I enjoy it a bit.

3. Now this is a record! Much better than Pepper.

4. This isn't my favorite Dylan record by any means, but it definitely belongs in the top 100.

5. You want pot set to music? Right here baby. Right here.

6. A testament to the troubled social issues back in '71...ok, so it's pretty lousy and that's including the title track.

7. I like the cover. And some of the songs. I don't know why, but I never got into the Stones.

8. Crap on a bun. If it was a hamburger that is.

9. Cool.

10. My favorite album of all time.

11. A collection of songs of Elvis at his prime...which isn't saying to much. Yep, I said it. I don't like Elvis.

12. It's jazz. "Jazzercise" is a cool word.

13. The first grunge album. With a banana on the cover. The only grunge album with a banana on the cover (unless you count baby's...banana...on the cover of Nevermind [img]graemlins/lookaround.gif[/img] )

14. Ooh, I like this one!

15. Yes, I am, and I regret it. I didn't like this album too much outside of "Purple Haze."

16. One of Dylan's best. Essential.

17. I love this album! I'm probably the only one here who does, but it's got 12 of the best songs of the 90s.

18. I don't like Springsteen too much. But if they want to include it here, they may.

19. I don't see why people like Van Morrison so much. He has a good song or two, but this album was pretty poor to me.

20. It has "Billie Jean" on it. If this album was just "Billie Jean" repeated 12 times, it would be #15 on this list. Cause "Billie Jean" is just 4 minutes and 56 seconds of sheer bliss. Multiply that by 12 and you've got 59 minutes and 12 seconds of bliss.

21. I have heard this but can't really remember it.

22. This is John's best solo album. So frank and moody.

23. I like Stevie Wonder but I don't have any of his albums. I'm sure this has a few songs I like on it but I don't know what's on it.

24. Are you kidding me? #24???

25. This really should be higher. So many classics on this album.
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2003, 01:25 PM   #19
Sexie Sadie
Rocky Raccoon

I think this article is just another piece of poof that the beatles are the greatest band that ever were and ever will be [img]graemlins/inlove7.gif[/img] ...not trying to be repedative or anything... [img]graemlins/king1.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/sgtpepper.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/king1.gif[/img]
Sexie Sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2003, 06:02 PM   #20
darkhorse
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted By StrawberryFieldsFanNo9:
#437 George's All Things Must Pass
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Well it's a top ten for me anyway. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote