BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Old Nov 16, 2006, 12:17 PM   #1
I am the Paulrus
Bulldog

Default Sir George Martin inducted into the UK Music Hall of Fame

Sir George Martin inducted into the UK Music Hall of Fame

Thursday November 16, 2006

George Martin at UK Hall of Fame awards.

Britain's Chancellor of the Exchequer Gordon Brown, left, presents music producer George Martin with the award to mark the latter's induction into the UK Music Hall of Fame 2006, at Alexandra Palace in London, Tuesday, Nov. 15, 2006.

Gordon Brown was booed last night as he presented a music award to 'fifth Beatle’ Sir George Martin in front of a star-studded audience.

The Chancellor ignored whistles, shouts and boos from some sections of the crowd, as he walked on stage to present an honorary award to the legendary Beatles producer and induct him into the UK Music Hall of Fame.

Mr Brown, a surprise guest at the event at London’s Alexandra Palace, told the audience: “George Martin is the most amazing man and I’m proud to be able to present him this evening.”

He added: “In 1962, even after every major producer rejected The Beatles and one producer said guitar groups had no future, George Martin made The Beatles the most successful group in history. George was the architect of the most creative period in music that this country has seen.”

Mr Brown said he had spoken to Sir Paul McCartney that afternoon, who said Sir George was 'the great creative genius of our time’. The Chancellor added: “Self-made, self-taught, he worked his way up, he is a great national icon. He is a great national institution.”

Sir George, 80, who produced every record made by the Fab Four until they disbanded in 1970, said it was a great honour to be given the award by the Chancellor of the Exchequer. The producer, who also made his name as a film composer said: “I never realised I was as good as all that. I’m not, to be honest, this is hyperbole.

“I think the reason I am here today is I have been a very lucky man and I have worked with the greatest people in show business, performers and writers. It rubs off working with people like that, it makes all the difference in the world.”

Sir George also brought comedy names like Peter Sellers, Spike Milligan, Peter Cook and Dudley Moore into recording studios. He recorded top jazz acts such as Cleo Laine and Stan Getz and in the Seventies and Eighties worked with the likes of the Bee Gees, Dire Straits and Ultravox.

Sir George also made his name as a film composer, scoring Live And Let Die and The Beatles' Yellow Submarine.

At the event, Queen drummer Roger Taylor and Razorlight singer Johnny Borrell helped perform classic Beatles tracks alongside a 31-piece orchestra and 20-piece London community gospel choir conducted by Sir George.

There were performances from some of the biggest names in music, including James Brown, Beach Boys star Brian Wilson and Bon Jovi, and British soul singer Joss Stone was invited to induct the late Dusty Springfield into the Hall of Fame.

Former US president Bill Clinton and chat show host Oprah Winfrey paid tribute to US rockers Bon Jovi in a recorded message as they were inducted. Rocker Rod Stewart accepted his award by video link from Los Angeles, saying: “It’s only quarter to one here but what the hell, I’m going to have a drink.”

Since the launch of The UK Music Hall of Fame in 2004, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Madonna, Bob Dylan, The Who, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, U2, Bob Marley, Elvis Presley and the Kinks have been inducted. Musicians are selected by a panel of 60 artists and executives in the music industry, broadcasters and journalists.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 12:20 PM   #2
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy

Yay for Sir George.
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 12:24 PM   #3
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 02:25 PM   #4
joenamherst
Dr. Robert

The event is being shown on television.....VH1, Saturday Nov. 25 at 9pm et. It is a two hour program.

Last edited by joenamherst : Nov 16, 2006 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Punctuation
joenamherst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 04:24 PM   #5
Weeping Guitar
Mr. Moonlight

Send a message via AIM to Weeping Guitar Send a message via MSN to Weeping Guitar

Watched it on TV this evening. Very moving.

You and I have memories
Longer than the road that stretches out ahead
Weeping Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 05:23 PM   #6
SF4-EVER

A well-deserved honor for George Martin!

My novella, Lyon's Legacy, about a scientist traveling back to the TwenCen to visit her fictional rock star ancestor, is now available as an e-book from Amazon, B&N, and Smashwords and in paper from CreateSpace and Amazon.
SF4-EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 08:01 PM   #8
Miss Wendy Winters
Wild Honey Pie

Oh how fabulous!! Well deserved indeed!
Old Nov 17, 2006, 01:02 PM   #9
teenwildlife
Fool On The Hill

Elton John & David Bowie turned down induction!
teenwildlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 12:27 AM   #10
I am the Paulrus
Bulldog

I saw it on VH1 Classic last night. Good tribute to him with messages from Ringo, Cilla Black, Michael Palin, Ozzy Osborne, and Billy Connelly. When they were mentioning about the comedy albums he had produced, they showed a b/w clip of Peter Sellers in a Shakespearean costume and reciting the opening lines to AHDN in Shakesperean style. I thought it was funny! Would have loved to have seen more of that. I wonder what show it came from?
Aside from Gordon Brown, the exchequer for the Bank of England, saying he had spoken to Paul and all the great things he had to say to him, I wish Paul would have taken the time to do a small video greeting for GM like Ringo and Cilla did. Or they could have recorded his comments about GM and have played them there in the auditorium. He does have his plate full right now, so-to-speak, with the promotion of 'Ecce Cor Meum' and 'The Space Within Us' Dvd,etc. Well done, GM! You deserve this great honour,sir!

Last edited by I am the Paulrus : Nov 25, 2006 at 12:45 AM.
I am the Paulrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2006, 05:09 PM   #11
DizzymissLizzy909
Sun King

Great news! About time, after all the work he's done. Congrats Sir George, you certainly deserve the honor.
Old Dec 03, 2006, 10:07 AM   #12
HappinessIsAWarmBagel
Fool On The Hill

Send a message via AIM to HappinessIsAWarmBagel

I watched the whole thing just for George (had to see his reactions to things when the camera panned to him in the audience, of course). Oh yeah, and Brian Wilson. But George, what a guy- I love him and I'm glad he's getting recognition from everybody.

Last edited by HappinessIsAWarmBagel : Dec 03, 2006 at 10:09 AM.
HappinessIsAWarmBagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 05, 2006, 10:17 AM   #13
BeatlesFan4life
Dr. Robert

I did not watch part of the show where sir George Martin was inducted. I missed it.
BeatlesFan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 05, 2006, 11:36 AM   #14
beatles fan
Sun King

Good old George! deserves it indeed!

"Hi i'm John Lennon and I play the guitar and sometimes I play the fool"- Live at the BBC

http://www.jpgr.co.uk/r6213_c.jpg
beatles fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 05, 2006, 05:39 PM   #15
jtal909
Sun King

George Martin made his own good fortune by being intrigued by an audition tape that nobody else wanted.

go George!
Old Dec 06, 2006, 05:40 AM   #16
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

Way to be, George!

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 06, 2006, 06:00 AM   #17
Asha
Sun King

Congrats Sir George!
Asha is offline   Reply With Quote