BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Crackerbox Palace

Old Nov 11, 2002, 11:32 PM   #1

Default guys..I just heard the whole of BRAINWASHED today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the whole album!! and it is absoluetly amazing..i typed up a whole big long hour review, but the palace told me i had entered the wrong password, and deleted it!! no time now, but i promise tommorow!! it is absolutely amazing, everything you expect and a billion times more!! greatest album of all time IMO!! i wish it wasnt all deleted, anyway tomorow!! i feel absoluetly blessed!!

NAMAH PARVATI PATAYE HARE HARE MAHADEV!!

------------------
The 10 days that I spent with George are not only the ones that I cherish but revealed the real George behind the myth. He was a firm believer in naturopathy. He was an equally firm vegetarian and a teetotaller. In his deluxe suite, he insisted on keeping the air-conditioner shut and windows open, even in the sultry weather. One day, he complained bitterly about the chaotic traffic and pollution in the city, and asked me who was responsible for controlling them. I told him that to an extent I was guilty. He laughed and then gave a couple of suggestions. - R.K Sharma on GH in 1996
GOD,GOD,GOD WONT YOU LEAD US THRU THIS MESS?!
Old Nov 12, 2002, 05:09 AM   #2
FPSHOT
Sun King

Default Re: guys..I just heard the whole of BRAINWASHED today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's going on, first I hear of Vatican P2Blues being aired and now the whole album???

Interesting ofcourse, and interesting enough to start the Members Review Topic now as announed earlier.

Maybe some mp3 files will now appear on WinMX, KaZaa etc.

------------------
Next Week at Crackerbox Palace
Brainwashed Reviews
FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2002, 06:36 AM   #3
Hari's Chick

Default Re: guys..I just heard the whole of BRAINWASHED today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so, so, wonderfully happy you got to hear it~ I will be smiling all day! (I can't wait for your review...computers are so insideous!) You are blessed!!!

Hare Krishna!

------------------
8 DAYS!!!!!
"Only thing that matters to me is to touch Your Lotus Feet..."
Hari's Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2002, 09:10 PM   #4

Ok!!, my apologies for this being VERY rough, I rushed thru it!! I went into the record shop yesterday to ask about the album, and a guy chucked it down frrm upstairs..it had just arrived from the record co, a few hours B4!!..still sealed..they opened it, and asked if I wanted a listen?? I thought of just listening to a few of the unheard songs, but I thought “NUP” and just stayed and listened to the whole thing!! And brainwashed twice!! Even though the headphones say “max time 10 mins per person!!” and I left right on closing time..they were such nice people to me!! And I feel absolutely blessed to be among the first people in the world to get to hear this, over a week before release! As far as I know, only record people have got a listen, so im very lucky!! Anyway, this is very rushed and rough, but I wanna keep this here just for the folks at crackerbox palace, not anywhere else..it can go in the reviews post too, but I don’t wanna see it end up on ABBEY RD!!! ( hate that site!) I don’t know how much of this info is out there, but I suspect more and more comes out daily..anyway…

TRACK BY TRACK

ANY ROAD: Opens with, "let me hear more of that guitar" as promised !! this appears to be from actual session and not just editied on. The GH.com excerpt doesnt do it justice, very acousticy. Great to hear the extra verses and slide parts!!!!

P2 VATICAN BLUES: GH at his humorous best!!.. very bluesy and acoustic with lots of great guitar with George joking around alot. Whispers "oh father" and someother things throughout!. Stand out track, and I see its getting some air play which is great!! Very acidic humour, and I think this si gonna do good things for the album..guitar is almost claptonish..

PISCES FISH: OMG! ive been waiting since billboard to hear this!! its amazing, definitly my favourite (of the new “unheard” tracks, ie not the excerpts) although marc mann has done some arrangments on it, this one sounds the most like George prob left it. When he sings, "im a pisces fish, the river flows through my soul" its just so beautiful, definetly one of the all time best Harrisongs!!

LOOKING FOR MY LIFE: also a favourite!! opens with some nice electric...definetly about the attack, I think.. gets quite emotional when he says "state of emergency" but the song doesn’t really get too poignant, as his humor sees it end up quite jubillant!!

RISING SON: (had to spell like that!) brilliant!! Just like the excerpt, very nice slide solo at the end , not to different to what we’ve heard follows the same formula..one of the albums really great tracks, undoubtedly..

MARWA BLUES: very beautiful slide based instrumental (as heard in the making film) kinda difficult to get into it in the shop, but will no doubt only improve on repeat listenings..perhaps best of all the tracks shows George’s amazing guitar abilities.. George plays Kirtals, and in the traditional KRSNA way..ie one, two THREE. And then the crash..though theres not much of one!!.i admire him, those things are bloody hard to play!!

STUCK INSIDE A CLOUD great to hear in full sound ..several key differences, notably some guitar effects not audible in the net versions and some additional backing vocals from George during the solo and him going “Craaazy” quite surprised to hear these new parts to the song!! Amazing!!

RUN SO FAR: much better than Eric’s version!! Simpler guitar, and heavier slightly in parts (I guess bluesier) very acousticy, and it just seems to suit Georges voice….as someone said less verses, but a surprising album standout..very upbeat too, especially compared to EC’s version..

NEVER GET OVER YOU: quite slow paced, opens with some beautiful slide..someone said the production on this was “too much” I strongly disagree..it is def the most ELO of the tracks, but I think that’s more to do with GH than with Jeff..

BETWEEN THE DEVIL AND THE DEEP BLUE SEA Different to the bootleg, but from the same recording..opens with George counting in the track, and then with him singing and just acoustic/uke..all the drums and stuff have been edited out and come in later..all the backing vocals are gone too, except the part where they chime in “Devil and the deep’ at the end..crystal clear sound, and this new version really gives George the chance to shine..again another surprising highlight!! So the recording itself is the same as from Mr Roadrunner, its just been changed..a major improvement in quality!!

ROCKING CHAIR IN HAWAII: based on the down to the river bootleg but almost completely rewritten with many different verses.. again,VERY bluesy, and I guess this is the kind of style GH intended for the album..really shows how versatile his voice is..like on P2 vatican, but even more so..racy lyrics too!!, in the blues trad..this is George like you’ve never heard before!!

BRAINWASHED: My favourite!! Stars with a lot of acoustics, more than the previews suggest, and quite heavy..during the spoken part, the music stops and George does some soft slide..really reminds me of the “spiritual sky” parts of Living in the material world..then the drums comes crashing in again ..the speaker says “the soul is knowledge” as “KNOW” and then “ledge”..which I thought was very cool!! Very Dylan like too, especially when George sings “ down on Bullshit avenue” and “God wish you’d brainwash us tooo” both of which he sings really slowly..amazing, and I got to hear this one twice!! Theres also a drawing from George in the booklet with a head saying “God, God, God” and a sign saying Bullshit avenue, with an arrow..and the caption..a voice cries out in the wilderness..Namah Parvati is also amazing!! Its just so George, and so very beautiful..i felt like crying, but I could only smile..so, so beautiful!! You cannot be sad when listening to this music!!

Overall, I thought you could hardly noticed Jeff’s production..he has taken a rather low key approach here, and I was quite surprised..its much less Lynne sounding than say, cloud 9 even, he’s thanked as “our Jeff” in the booklet (Ringo and Barb and a “paul” are also thanked) I think George would be very, very pleased and proud of the results..

An amazing album, I left the store feeling very , very high (naturally of course) this is IMO the best album I have ever heard!! And ive herad a few good ones..the packaging is alo top rate..the version I got to see, was like a digipack, and it had a booklet with in a fold out CD with a pocket..one side had George’s garden in it, and the other a golden deity most resembling Shiva to me (with snakes) didn’t really resemble KRSNA to me, surrounded by candles in leafs at night..i think it is also from friar park..th photo of george is taken by Brian Roylance from Genesis, who I got to see a lot of in Sydney for the George martin launch..looks like its from 2000..Georges hair is really messy! And he looks a little grumpy!! “Bloody genesis, anyone would think THEY wrote the book of genesis or something..” LOL! The booklet itself has the blue ”Stuck..cloud” promo CD cover of the dummies, and in the lyrics throughout there are dummy pictures superimposed underneath..in the centre with the pic is the credits and thank you’s and Olivia (presumably) thanks “all our family and friends and most of all George..God Bless us” it then has Arjuna’s quote: “there was never a time where I did not exsist, nor you, and there will never be a time when we cease to be” and underneath is a purple Om!!!

This album is amazing, and I can’t put into words its impact on me, I cannot even try.. George has given us such a gift..i feel so blessed to be among the first to hear these new songs..its all due to KRSNA, a few things have been a little crap lately for me, and not that I am deserving, or should have asked , but I did, and I got this..i got to hear George’s love songs to KRSNA, it has had a major and noticeable impact on me, people have been commenting on this energy flowing thru me..i got it from KRSNA, from GH, and from Brainwashed..this album is what the world needs..

------------------
The 10 days that I spent with George are not only the ones that I cherish but revealed the real George behind the myth. He was a firm believer in naturopathy. He was an equally firm vegetarian and a teetotaller. In his deluxe suite, he insisted on keeping the air-conditioner shut and windows open, even in the sultry weather. One day, he complained bitterly about the chaotic traffic and pollution in the city, and asked me who was responsible for controlling them. I told him that to an extent I was guilty. He laughed and then gave a couple of suggestions. - R.K Sharma on GH in 1996
Old Nov 12, 2002, 09:17 PM   #5
FPSHOT
Sun King

Gosh you are lucky down there in Utopia.

Thanks for this review, I will put is aside to mine when I can write it next week, but just to be sure, I will also have a look at a record shop today or tomorrow.

------------------
Brainwashed Reviews
Old Nov 12, 2002, 09:20 PM   #6

so sorry for all the spelling mistakes, and parts that dont make sense..typing for so long is hard!! i think my original one (that got deleted) had more info, and this one, is perhaps more to the point..gain i have to reiterate just how good this album is..your not going to believe just how good it is!! doesnt come out in NZ till the 25th!! so lucky i got to hear it now then!! they wouldnt sell it to me either!! one guy was complaining about the cover, so i explained it to him..idiot! the others were all really nice to me though, and i feel so, so lucky!!

NAMAH PARVATI PATAYE HARE HARE MAHADEV!!

------------------
Old Nov 12, 2002, 09:23 PM   #7

and if anyone has any questions either, i will be glad to try and help..

------------------
Old Nov 12, 2002, 09:26 PM   #8

Nutopia!! the place without borders, flags, national anthems,races, patriotism!! you should visit sometime!

------------------
Old Nov 12, 2002, 09:43 PM   #9
FPSHOT
Sun King

It seems like a nice island, maybe I will sometime.

------------------
Brainwashed Reviews
Old Nov 12, 2002, 11:03 PM   #10
FiendishThingie
Bulldog

Congrats!
It's hard to believe, but it won't be long & we'll all hear it!

FT

------------------
"Music always had a transcendental quality inasmuch as it reaches parts of you that you don't expect it to reach. And it can touch you in a way that you can't express. You can think that it hasn't reached you and years later you'll find it coming out." George Harrison
FiendishThingie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2002, 07:28 AM   #11
Hari's Chick

Thanks so, so much for the wonderful review!!! I am so glad you got to hear it...and I have my opinions as to why (George! George! George!)!!! He's so close...and just that energy comes through your writing~ George and Lord Krishna, right there, more than positive, but transcendent!!! And thank you so so much~ having the patience to rewrite the review!! I wish yours could be the review they would print in Rolling Stone and all the others...
You reminded me about "V2 Vatican Blues"...where you mentioned about George saying "Oh Father"...I was in the canyons when I heard it so reception wasn't 100%...it sounded as if he was saying the "Our Father" prayer in the background~ am I right?
Thanks again & again & again!!!

------------------
6 DAYS!!!!!

[This Message Has Been Edited By Hari's Chick On November 13, 2002 08:29 AM]
Old Nov 13, 2002, 07:55 AM   #12
Hari's Chick

Oh...is there just the one pic of George? It sounds great!

Did you get to speak to Brian Roylance? You know, Olivia mentions how close they were in the new "I Me Mine" intro...which is nice to read. She mentions that she, George, Derek, and Brian were a very close knit group. I got to speak with Brian over the phone in maybe 1987. He was so very nice. And then EC thanked him back when he was recieving his grammy years back on George's birthday.

------------------
6 DAYS!!!!!
Old Nov 13, 2002, 09:05 AM   #13
Hari's Chick

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By Maharishi Mahesh Yogi:
..perhaps best of all the tracks shows George’s amazing guitar abilities.. George plays Kirtals, and in the traditional KRSNA way..ie one, two THREE. And then the crash..though theres not much of one!!.i admire him, those things are bloody hard to play!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I am so excited to hear this! I remember George saying that when he heard the sound of the kirtals from the devotees, as soon as he heard them (like from down the street) he felt that spiritual energy! This will be amazing to hear!!!
I got groovy kirtals at the SRF Festival of Joy recently! Now we can play along with George!!!

------------------
6 DAYS!!!!!
Old Nov 13, 2002, 10:54 AM   #14
SingingOm
Wild Honey Pie

Thanks Maharishi!

------------------
“The soul does not love. It is love itself.
It does not exist. It is existence itself
It does not know. It is knowledge itself.”
SingingOm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2002, 07:26 PM   #15
DoctorRobert
Fool On The Hill

Maharishi did a much better job than I ever could, but I'm listening to the entire CD right now (got a surprise advance copy from EMI), and it is really the best thing since Traveling Wilburys vol 1! Has a realy Wilbury's feel on a lot of tracks, I think. Pisces Fish is my current fav, but Brainwashed is a close second at the moment. A few more listens and that will change probably. The lyrics are so brave, so George, so needed, so right on. Read them again and again. Yes, just the one pic of George in the center fold, but a nice cartoon drawing in the back, which I'm assuming was done by George. You guys are really gonna love this one!

"I'm a living proof of all life's contradictions" (Pisces Fish)

"Universe at play inside your DNA" (Rising Sun)

He says so much, so beautifully, in just a few words. Going back around for my third listen of the evening now!

------------------
DoctorRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2002, 07:42 PM   #16
ABCKO
Old Brown Shoe

What about the liner notes ?

Detailed notes and credits ?

Specified recording dates ?

Nice pictures ?

------------------
"You... are number six !"

"I am not a number, I am a free man !"
ABCKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2002, 07:49 PM   #17

I didnt actually speak to Brian, No! he was there throughout the signing, but i was too busy watching and talking to, and about Sir George!!..then they were clearing people out, and i go, "i just want to speak to Brian" but they go 'no time!" after the dinner he was hanging round, and i was talking to others but i didnt go up to him..wish i had in a way, and no one knew who he was, or was talking to him!! i knew who he was, but i didnt think he was THAT close to George!! i talked alot to the NZ guy from Genesis who also knew George alot aswell..i guess Brian and George must have been quite close, because he took that photo, and he was heavilly involved in the Anthology..cool just seeing what he looks like, and hanging around him though, he was always walking past and around me!! about P2 vatican he definetly says "father" over and over real sarcastically which really goes well with the whole "suscpicious" thing!! i dont know how the father's prayer goes, but it sounds something like what this could be..the words are not in the lyric book, the whispers i mean!!

------------------
Old Nov 13, 2002, 07:55 PM   #18

your very lucky to get a copy Dr robert!! they wouldnt sell me it!! the liner notes and credits are just the musicians as is on the website.. theres only the one picture of GH in the centre of the booklet, and the others are of the garden and the deity (still not sure if its Shiva, im thinking it must be a form of KRSNA) unfortunately there are NO dates on there, as to when songs were recorded..i really, really wanted these, but i wasnt expecting them to be on there..i think hard core fans like us would REALLY like to know these things, late 90's, 2000, 2001 etc..but oh well..thanks for all your nice comments too guys!

------------------
Old Nov 13, 2002, 07:58 PM   #19

oh, and theres no real liner notes, like the info from de curtis on the website either..kinda good in a way, otherwise it would kind of emphasise the fact GH isnt overseeing the release

------------------
Old Nov 13, 2002, 10:33 PM   #20

Oh and ive just been talking to a friend, and i think the deity is definetly Shiva!! he told me he has heard GH has a Shiva deity in his gardens, and its a fountain..makes sense with the leafs with the candles..theyre in the water!! also Namah Parvati is all about Shiva also!! Parvati is Shiva's wife, and Mahadeva is another name for Shiva! and of course SHIVA, SHIVA, SHIVA!!! interesting! methinks Dhani likes Shiva!!

HARIBOL MAHADEV!!!

------------------