BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Old Jun 14, 2004, 06:40 AM   #1
fabgirl
Apple Scruff

Default No Meat on Macca Tour

While I respect Paul's right to be a vegetarian, I think it's ridiculous for him to insist that his tour staff not eat meat (or wear leather) during the entire tour.

McCartney issues a no-meat decree

Paul McCartney is keeping the set of his concert meat-free.
By Jeannette Walls
MSNBC
Updated: 2:50 a.m. ET June 14, 2004

Paul McCartney is performing without Wings. Or thighs or drumsticks.

Crew members on the set of the singer’s concert are up in arms because the staunch vegetarian has banned the eating of meat by anyone working on the tour.

“It’s completely crazy,” one worker in Oslo, Norway, where the former Beatle is performing tonight, told the paper Aftenposten, according to our translator. “We’re supposed to work from eight till eight each day, and aren’t served anything but salad and vegetarian food. I can’t live without meat doing this kind of work, and will defy the ban and bring my own lunch packet with meat.” According to another local report, the crew is also forbidden from wearing leather belts or shoes.

“We can’t control what they do in their spare time,” a spokesman for the concert organizers told Aftenposten. “But as long as they’re inside the stadium area, it’s correct that they are banned from eating meat.”
fabgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 07:30 AM   #2
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart
Default Re: No Meat on Macca Tour

[ QUOTE ]
fabgirl Posted:
“We can’t control what they do in their spare time,” a spokesman for the concert organizers told Aftenposten. “But as long as they’re inside the stadium area, it’s correct that they are banned from eating meat.”

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see a problem with this at all. I mean, it's just one of the job requirements and if somebody doesn't think they can "live without meat" for 12 hours a day, then they shouldn't have taken the job. End of story. As an employer, Paul can make any rules he wants to - hey, I might think it's silly that if I wear a skirt that's down to my knees, I don't need to wear hose, but if I wear a skirt shorter than that, I do need to wear them, but that's what my employer requires, so that's what I do, silly or not. If I thought I would die if I had to wear long skirts or nylons, I should have gone to work somewhere else.
Rellevart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 08:41 AM   #3
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Fair enough.

Regardless of who your employer is, once you know the ground rules, you either accept them and abide by them or you look elsewhere for employment. It's as simple as that.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 03:15 PM   #4
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

[ QUOTE ]
beatlebangs1964 Posted:
Fair enough.

Regardless of who your employer is, once you know the ground rules, you either accept them and abide by them or you look elsewhere for employment. It's as simple as that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly... and gee, it's not as if they're banned from eating meat FOREVER or anything. I mean, they're only working for Paul McCartney!! I'm sure there would be 50 people willing to work on the tour for every one worker that dropped out because of the no-meat rule.
beatlegirl9977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 03:22 PM   #5
donnamariemoreno27
Mr. Moonlight

Send a message via AIM to donnamariemoreno27

Hmm...I know that at past gigs, he told the staff/crew that he provided a "vegetarian menu" and anyone who didn't want to eat it, could just go to the "nearest McDonald's" and get their meals there. But obviously Paul has ENFORCED a new rule...I guess it wouldn't hurt them to wear "shoes/belts" that wasn't leather for the remainer of the tour.

Donna~
donnamariemoreno27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 03:25 PM   #6
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

I agree, as long as he is not imposing this ban on people when they are on their own time and not his. I had heard that on previous tours, if you were off the clock and were caught eating meat on your own time you got sacked, and THAT, I think, is a serious violation of a worker's civil rights, same as it would be if an employer who didn't believe in smoking, for instance, firing a worker for smoking on a Saturday afternoon in his own home. (And I HAVE heard of things like that happening and being challenged!)

However, if it is clearly stated before the worker gets hired that these are the rules when you are on Paul's clock and he's the one signing your paycheck, then by all means he has a right to insist upon this from people in his employ.
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 02:00 PM   #7
beatlelover45223

Guess they need to beef up on Soy for protein and strength while at that job, I would give it(meat) up for 12 hrs;(then off to o Burger King for me) to be there behind the scenes near Paul, what a sound check I would be enjoying if I were them...
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2004, 07:02 PM   #8
Hari's Chick

I think it's great! On a veggie board I am on, one fellow had Macca's cooks come in (this was last year) and buy $2,200 one day and $1,000 more the next morning!! He said it was no cafeteria food! So, those who complain should look at *seriously* bad working conditions and thank their lucky stars for a chance to broaden their life experience.
Hari's Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2004, 10:14 PM   #9
Savoy Truffle
Paperback Writer

It's pretty well known too I would think, that Paul doesn't allow meat eating on his set. You'd think these guys could be a bit inventive and eat their meat before and after work to keep them going.
Savoy Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2004, 10:40 PM   #10
Legs
Sun King

[ QUOTE ]
Savoy Truffle Posted:
It's pretty well known too I would think, that Paul doesn't allow meat eating on his set. You'd think these guys could be a bit inventive and eat their meat before and after work to keep them going.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember hearing the same stories at least since Paul's world tour in 1990.
I agree that it's just part of rules at work, which you should either respect or don't do the job at all. That's all there is to it, and all what needs to be said.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2004, 08:36 AM   #12
ChrisG134
Sun King

I don't agree with the leather shoes.Unless somebody makes a good work boot not made of leather.The people who put the stage together lift heavy equiptment.I'm in construction and you NEED a good pair of work boots!God forbid if you drop something on your foot and don't have a pair of steel toed boots on you!You'd most likely break you foot or smash it.
ChrisG134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2004, 09:31 AM   #13
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

very good point!
sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 07:56 AM   #14
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

A related question that has come up is that people have said they want to see Paul take some action in re meat and leather.

I for one think he has. His refusal to eat meat or permit the consumption of meat while under his employ and his stand on leather sound like direct action to me.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 08:21 AM   #15
Legs
Sun King

[ QUOTE ]
beatlebangs1964 Posted:
A related question that has come up is that people have said they want to see Paul take some action in re meat and leather.

I for one think he has. His refusal to eat meat or permit the consumption of meat while under his employ and his stand on leather sound like direct action to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

And that's enough, I say. Let the people eat what they want at home.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 09:45 AM   #16
Hari's Chick

[ QUOTE ]
ChrisG134 Posted:
I don't agree with the leather shoes.Unless somebody makes a good work boot not made of leather.The people who put the stage together lift heavy equiptment.I'm in construction and you NEED a good pair of work boots!God forbid if you drop something on your foot and don't have a pair of steel toed boots on you!You'd most likely break you foot or smash it.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.mooshoes.com/edc-cgi/moos...ts&start=0

This is a good source for all types of boots...non leather. They have everything from work boots to sexy ones.
Hari's Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 03:07 PM   #17
ChrisG134
Sun King

[ QUOTE ]
Hari's Chick Posted:
[ QUOTE ]
ChrisG134 Posted:

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good source for all types of boots...non leather. They have everything from work boots to sexy ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

For 120.00$ they better last long cause that's how much I pay for my Red Wings.Which are the most comfortable boot I've worn.I put alot of wear and tear on my boots.Some of them look like a fashion statement which are very uncomfortable.Do they have steel toe?Which is what you want when your lifting heavy equpitment.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 03:13 PM   #18
ChrisG134
Sun King

Those people who want to eat meat.They could just go out to their car for lunch cause their not on the clock during that time and eat what they want.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 03:26 PM   #19
ChrisG134
Sun King

[ QUOTE ]
Hari's Chick Posted:
[ QUOTE ]
ChrisG134 Posted:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It says the boots are made of synthetic micro-fiber.Sounds like another word for plastic.If I drop a piece of concrete on my foot will those boots hold up?
Old Jun 21, 2004, 03:39 PM   #20
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

Those boots don't have a steel toe that I can tell -- wouldn't the description say so? And synthetic shoes, ugh, if you have sweaty feet or a tendency to athlete's foot or fungus or just have smelly feet, what a horrid, horrid environment for your feet! My son has a tendency to athlete's foot, and if I got him non-leather shoes, he'd be growing mushrooms between his toes in two days!

I'm with you, Chris, unless they could prove to me that they were as good as leather, steel-toed boots, I wouldn't switch. Sorry, HC, but those boots and shoes look like crap to me, I'll stick to my leather, thanks, and keep putting leather on my son's feet too. I like feet to breathe.
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote