BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Sep 25, 2011, 02:32 PM   #1
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Default Mind Games: An Analysis

Alright now. I have taken some time with this because I was debating whether or not to state the 2002 reissue or just keep it simple. However, in my opinion, that particular reissue of this album is by far the best example to use while going through this album. The sound quality is simply extraordinary, and as a John fan it felt like I was listening to a brand new album the first time I played it. So...if there are any issues with my singling out this, please feel free to rate each song from your own copy. I mean no harm by feeling so passionately that this is the superior CD version. I always felt the original had a muddled/reverb-y sound that took away from the beauty of the songs.

Now that I got that out of the way...

Mind Games was released in 1973, following the commercial and critical disaster of the very misunderstood and underrated Some Time In New York City. John no doubt felt compelled to return to the formula of pop songwriting that he had honed and that would be more aesthetically appealing to the general public. In any case, he did so with Mind Games, and though it wasn't a critical smash it has now come to be seen as an underrated gem by most music critics. In my opinion, it is a STUNNING album filled with some absolutely beautiful, melodically and lyrically rich songs. I love to recommend it to casuals because there's a lot for everyone on here: deep/intricate ballads, powerful/soulful anthems, and fantastic rockers. It's quite a balanced album, and perhaps John himself- retrospectively- didn't feel as passionately about MG, but in my opinion John was his own worse critic so let me just give him the side eye right here------>

Mind Games is a very interesting album, one that has a very special place in my heart because nearly every song has moved me in some way. I can't put my finger on exactly what word I could use to properly describe this album, as he seemed to be drifting away from the bandwagoning but still very dedicated to the message of love, despite his and Yoko's own personal situation at the time (ahem: their separation was just on the brink).

Even the cover of the album shows a man sort of "lost" in a field, with the background a large setting Yoko:

Let the analyzing begin!!

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Sep 27, 2011 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Changed the title!!
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2011, 02:46 PM   #2
Apple Scruff
Sun King

First song: Mind Games

Wow, where do I begin? This song. I won't lie to you, it's one of my absolute FAVORITE John songs ever- one of my favorite songs of all time actually. There is a very deep love I have for this song, because of the words which I find SO un-cliche, and the amazing music. The chord structure is out of this world fabulous. I recall, on LennonNYC, when one of the musicians on the album discussed John's creation of this song. He came in with completely different lyrics but the song (music) intact. In the process of playing/recording the song, the lyrics started changing and the song took on a life of it's own as it went along. I found that so amazing. It's simply a demonstration of this man's genius that, like a painter, he could create something "new" from what was already on the canvas by just applying different strokes, in subtle and complex ways.

In any case, I always get entranced with this song. I think of it as a chant. There's all kinds of stuff happening musically, and then the amazing lyrics... I frigg'n LOVE the words to this song:

Quote:
We're playing those mind games together
Pushing the barriers, planting seeds
Playing the mind guerrilla
Chanting the mantra, peace on earth
We all been playing those mind games forever
Some kinda druid dudes lifting the veil
Doing the mind guerrilla
Some call it magic, the search for the grail

Love is the answer and you know that for sure
Love is a flower, you got to let it, you got to let it grow

So keep on playing those mind games together
Faith in the future, outta the now
You just can't beat on those mind guerrillas
Absolute elsewhere in the stones of your mind
Yeah we're playing those mind games forever
Projecting our images in space and in time

Yes is the answer and you know that for sure
Yes is surrender, you got to let it, you got to let it go

So keep on playing those mind games together
Doing the ritual dance in the sun
Millions of mind guerrillas
Putting their soul power to the karmic wheel
Keep on playing those mind games forever
Raising the spirit of peace and love

Love...
(I want you to make love, not war, I know you've heard it before)
"Love is the answer, and you know that for sure/love is the flower, you got to let it, you got to let it grow..." John, you just knew how to say it man. It is SO simple yet so profound. I think this song can be a spiritual lament, a love song, a personal anthem (which it is to me), or just a powerful ballad about love and life in general. Is it about John and Yoko? Is it about humankind in general? Who is playing the "mind games" and why? How?

There are a lot of baffling questions I sometimes ask, and then I realize it doesn't make a difference whatsoever because this is just a beautiful song that you sort of soar away with. John had the ability to do that with his music and, in the end, the meaning takes on so many different forms- both personal or general- that it almost makes no different because you know it's deep and it speaks to you- or anyway it does for ME. I absolutely love this song and could listen to it forever.

Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:10 PM   #3
Dr. Robert

Okay AppleZen (and getting zennier the closer we get to 10/9). You work so hard putting these great threads together and put so much thought into your writings--really wonderful-just wanted to give you a nod for being such a great conductor here. I'm working off the 2007 Japanese SHM-CD remaster set which sounds flippin' incredible:
as are the 2002 releases. I struggle with these remixes though. Yes they sound great, but I have a problem with tampering with the original. John approved of the mix that's almost 40 years old and now it's been changed pretty drastically. Even the lengths of some songs have been chopped off or extended. Ordinarily, I would put this tampering in the Yoko 'Hate' thread but I've learned my lesson. To me it's like taking the Mona Lisa and enhancing it because we have better paint than we did in the early 1500's--leave it the
f1ck alone. Okay. Enough of that. This is a great opportunity for me to rediscover these albums that I don't listen to a whole lot anymore. I've always loved the song "Mind Games". I can remember it on the radio when I was a little kid and it sounded cool on an AM transistor radio. The constant 3 note repetition doesn't get on your nerves, it's just great. I think it's a great nod to the beliefs of the flower-power movement that didn't quite make it, and also ties in the personal situation he was going through with you-know-who as their relationship was taking a dive right around this time. To me it's the strongest track on the album by far, and the fade-out is my favorite part.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:24 PM   #4
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by 834 View Post
I've always loved the song "Mind Games". I can remember it on the radio when I was a little kid and it sounded cool on an AM transistor radio. The constant 3 note repetition doesn't get on your nerves, it's just great. I think it's a great nod to the beliefs of the flower-power movement that didn't quite make it, and also ties in the personal situation he was going through with you-know-who as their relationship was taking a dive right around this time. To me it's the strongest track on the album by far, and the fade-out is my favorite part.
Beautiful explanation 834! I honestly appreciate your perspective, since you were still a kid when this song was released, but man am I amazed at the stuff I remember hearing on the radio (or my dad's record player) at even age 3 or 4. It's remarkable, and I love how you described this song. To me, it's just an extraordinary song because it's unique. John was a special kind of songwriter who could make a song like this one, which you could say has a familiar theme of love, and turn it into something special and very much his own. I love the opening note/chord...whatever it is. It's beautiful and I'm always content when I hear it because I know what's coming.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:32 PM   #5
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Okay AppleZen (and getting zennier the closer we get to 10/9). You work so hard putting these great threads together and put so much thought into your writings--really wonderful-just wanted to give you a nod for being such a great conductor here. I'm working off the 2007 Japanese SHM-CD remaster set which sounds flippin' incredible:
as are the 2002 releases. I struggle with these remixes though. Yes they sound great, but I have a problem with tampering with the original. John approved of the mix that's almost 40 years old and now it's been changed pretty drastically. Even the lengths of some songs have been chopped off or extended. Ordinarily, I would put this tampering in the Yoko 'Hate' thread but I've learned my lesson. To me it's like taking the Mona Lisa and enhancing it because we have better paint than we did in the early 1500's--leave it the
f1ck alone.
I understand what you're saying. And I think it's a very reasonable criticism. Personally, I know how some fans feel about the originals- which is why I had some trepidation about specifying 2002- but I honestly feel it's a fantastic reissue. I guess this is where my embrace of the generation of "remastering/repackaging" comes in because, in some cases, I find it very rewarding. I always considered the original MG somewhat muddled and it seemed John's vocals were drowned in the sea of instruments and reverb. But the clarity of the reissue pronounces everything SO perfectly that I fell in love with the songs/songwriting tremendously even on first listen. Now, I am very apprehensive about the 2010 reissues, and I did say to Snoopy or Maia that I am guilty of not having listened to them all the way through. It wasn't intentional, just never set aside the time. But I will break those babies out and perhaps there could be a thread analyzing those, but goodness knows how long it would be.

In any case, I have not heard your 2007 Japanese reissues but I believe your statement about them being amazing. I'm glad you brought them up because then we'll know you're referencing that particular MG in this analysis, and maybe it will pique our interest (for those completist- and I am one!).

Sorry for digressing...carry on everyone!!!
Old Sep 26, 2011, 06:58 AM   #6
Dr. Robert

I don't think there is really any difference between the 2002 reissues and the Japanese 2007 box set. I have both and don't hear any discernable diffs. I like the extra oomph the reissues have, but I don't really care for how whoever decided to bring the organ out in front, so to speak. I don't want to sound close-minded, I'm just a purist when it comes to that music. If it was good enough for John in '73, it's good enough for me. The reality is that if they'd have not included the bonus tracks, there would have been room for the original album AND the remix--that would have been cool.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 04:37 PM   #7
Maia 66
Sun King

Well, since I've got no audiophile creds, I'm gonna base my opinion on the original vinyl release and the AM radio factor. I've got that Apple single that Scruffie has posted... think the vinyl is green, but, alas, no autograph!

Mind Games is a great friggin' song... what can I add to what has already been said? Sounds amazing any which way you listen to it... "soaring" was a great adjective. The Spectorization really fits here and it gives the song the elevated feeling that it requires.

It's a positive message that you just can't argue with... but it also has a realism mixed in with John's Imagine-era idealism. And everything just comes down to "love is the answer... and you know that, for sure."

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2011, 07:07 PM   #8
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post
And everything just comes down to "love is the answer... and you know that, for sure."
And it really is true. As idealistic and naive as it may seem to some, there re no answers in violence, cruelty, greed, etc. The way to reach out and to understand our likes and our differences is to show love. John had the fundamental answer.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 06:12 AM   #9
hibgal
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
Personally, I know how some fans feel about the originals- which is why I had some trepidation about specifying 2002- but I honestly feel it's a fantastic reissue.
Why specify issue? Isn't that narrowing down the discussion a bit much? After all, it's foremost the songs we're discussing, isn't it? Anything relevant to release variations can be discussed within the posts. Also different alternate takes from bootlegs, live performances etc. The more the merrier, I'd say!

The 1989 first CD release is indeed murky but that's not true of the vinyl release. One of the finest versions I've heard comes from a vinyl rip of the 1973 Japanese issue. So warm, so clear, so right! The 2010 CD release comes closest to the original, with John's voice not quite as much in the foreground as on the 2002 reissue. Anyone have the original UK vinyl and want to comment on this?

As for the song Mind Games, well, I love it in all its forms and have it in several incarnations from the early demo Make Love Not War to the 2010 reissue. The Spectorized treatment only underscore the basic majesticity of the composition. It's a grandiose song suited to a pipe organ in a cathedral, not an intimate guitar in the dark.

To me, the lyrics is John basically saying that without real love all the catch-phrases in the world are just mind games. Yet out of those mind games, those ideas and slogans, comes the realization that indeed quite simply "love is the answer." With love there are no barriers to push, there are no hunt for the holy grail, no need to chant matras, karmic wheels or dances to the sun.

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 06:39 AM   #10
Dr. Robert

@Hib. Hi. You and Maia both refer to "Spectorized" and I'm wondering if this is just an adjective you're both using or was he the ghost producer of the album? All I can find is that John produced the album, but that's a pretty big stretch. I too was listening to some of the 'Mind Games' bootlegs yesterday, and again, I don't think I would have otherwise if it weren't for you guys, so I appreciate that alot. I mean, I don't wake up and say 'you know what would really hit the spot this morning? The 'Mind Games' sessions", so these threads kind of force me to dig/rediscover. blah blah frickin' blah. thanks. bye..
Old Sep 27, 2011, 07:29 AM   #11
hibgal
Sun King

Quote:
@Hib. Hi. You and Maia both refer to "Spectorized" and I'm wondering if this is just an adjective you're both using or was he the ghost producer of the album?
Sorry for the confusions. I was referring to the wall of sound style of the arrangement that Spector made popular, not that he himself was necessarily a producer of the album.

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:50 AM   #12
Hari's Chick

Quote:
I always considered the original MG somewhat muddled and it seemed John's vocals were drowned in the sea of instruments and reverb. But the clarity of the reissue pronounces everything SO perfectly that I fell in love with the songs/songwriting tremendously even on first listen. Now, I am very apprehensive about the 2010 reissues, and I did say to Snoopy or Maia that I am guilty of not having listened to them all the way through.
I know what you mean. With George's Baltimore Oriole- the reissue made it one of my favorite songs. The original CD was too muddled, as you say. Even the vinyl of it lacked crisp edges. The clarity of the guitars and vocals on the reissue made all the difference in the world.

I'm curious why though you feel apprehensive to listen to the 2010? Is it cuz you love the 2002 so much? I wonder what they could change and why they bothered to reissue the reissue, lol!
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:11 PM   #13
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:

John no doubt felt compelled to return to the formula of pop songwriting that he had honed and that would be more aesthetically appealing to the general public. In any case, he did so with Mind Games, and though it wasn't a critical smash it has now come to be seen as an underrated gem by most music critics. In my opinion, it is a STUNNING album filled with some absolutely beautiful, melodically and lyrically rich songs. I love to recommend it to casuals because there's a lot for everyone on here: deep/intricate ballads, powerful/soulful anthems, and fantastic rockers. It's quite a balanced album, and perhaps John himself- retrospectively- didn't feel as passionately about MG, but in my opinion John was his own worse critic so let me just give him the side eye right here------>

Mind Games is a very interesting album, one that has a very special place in my heart because nearly every song has moved me in some way.).
Hi Scruffie

Thank's for starting this thread; couldn't wait to discuss this album, which is my second favourite of John As you say, it's been underrated and I'm not impressed by John's own critics either

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:22 PM   #14
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
I'm working off the 2007 Japanese SHM-CD remaster set which sounds flippin' incredible:
I struggle with these remixes though. Yes they sound great, but I have a problem with tampering with the original. The constant 3 note repetition doesn't get on your nerves, it's just great. I think it's a great nod to the beliefs of the flower-power movement that didn't quite make it, and also ties in the personal situation he was going through with you-know-who as their relationship was taking a dive right around this time. To me it's the strongest track on the album by far, and the fade-out is my favorite part.
Hi

Woow, those remixes sound exciting; you've got a nice collection of Japanese remaster

I feel pretty the same about "Mind games": I love the constant 3 note repetition and I think it's the strongest track on the album too. Yeah, the fade-out is a great part of it

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 02:02 PM   #15
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Upon further consideration (and reading Maia and Hibgal's posts) I think it's more appropriate to just keep the title Mind Games: An Analysis and not single any particular reissue there. I think it makes it more confusing and, as Hibgal noted, it narrows it down so much for those who may not have any reissues or, like Maia, just play the vinyl.

I actually did say in my first post that you could refer to whichever version of Mind Games that you had, but I think stating a particular release in the title is giving the impression that I know which version is best when, to be honest, it's merely my opinion.

So hopefully this is best for all of you! Tonight we can move along to the next song...

Snoopy, thanks for your opinion on the song "Mind Games." To my ears, it's perfection of course. But I feel there are some STRONG contenders on this album for that same description.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 02:06 PM   #16
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hari's Chick View Post
I'm curious why though you feel apprehensive to listen to the 2010? Is it cuz you love the 2002 so much? I wonder what they could change and why they bothered to reissue the reissue, lol!
I think my apprehension is exactly as you stated: I adore the 2002 and I heard that John's vocals aren't pushed to the forefront in the same manner. I think I am going to take out the whole box and listen to each album one at a time and then we can discuss them- or if someone wants to analyze the box now I could totally be agreeable to joining in, although I would have to play catch up. I honestly loved the individual reissues that came out in the 2000's and, even though I got the box immediately, I haven't even given it a fair listen.

John is disappoint.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 07:39 AM   #17
Dr. Robert

"Only people can change the world." - Yoko Ono quoted on the 'Mind Games' album and what an epiphany it is. Very likely the inspiration for your favorite song AppleS. Personally, I like to think a huge asteroid could change the world or reversal of the poles (not Polish people per se). I know, I know, it's Yoko and it is so beautiful and childlike and blah blah.

Last edited by 834 : Sep 28, 2011 at 07:39 AM.
834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2011, 08:11 AM   #18
Dr. Robert

I've downloaded several versions of this album now and have been listening to it alot, and the more I listen, the more it becomes apparant without Paulie, he just had no reason give it more than a half-hearted effort. I understand that maintaining the level of brilliance he had with the Beatles was impossible, but his songs became almost all about Yoko and pandering/ apologizing, and the music became so saccharine. There's still moments of brilliance.

Last edited by 834 : Sep 28, 2011 at 08:15 AM.
834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2011, 08:57 AM   #19
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
I've downloaded several versions of this album now and have been listening to it alot, and the more I listen, the more it becomes apparant without Paulie, he just had no reason give it more than a half-hearted effort. I understand that maintaining the level of brilliance he had with the Beatles was impossible, but his songs became almost all about Yoko and pandering/ apologizing, and the music became so saccharine. There's still moments of brilliance.
They both needed one another to a certain degree. No question. However, I am also re-listening to Mind Games and I am finding I love it even more than I remembered, though "Only People" sticks out like a very UGLY sore thumb. I mean, the album isn't marred because of it but I sure as heck wouldn't mind it if it weren't on there at all. And shoot I'll take another "Nutopian International Anthem" in it's place.

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Sep 28, 2011 at 08:57 AM.
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:12 AM   #20
Dr. Robert

I'll take "Only People" over "One Day At A Time" ANYDAY. This may be one of the worst JL songs ever. Those background vocals make me want to go straight for the sledgehammer. I go into insulin shock when I listen to it. I understand they both (John/Paul) needed each other--no need to get defensive. We are talking about John here which is why I pointed him out. I recognize that this album has a certain whimsy to it that might make the Lennonlover's heart smile and maybe he was going for something more accessible after the STINKY debacle. btw "One Day At A Time" from the 'Mind Games Sessions" isn't bad at all without the syrup.