BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Nov 19, 2011, 07:35 PM   #1
4iiiis
Mr. Moonlight

Default Sean Lennon's FRIENDLY FIRE: why it's perfect and why John would be so proud

I am not insinuating that Julian, who I like a lot, isn't making John proud. Just that, as I listen to Sean's music more and more, I recognize that he probably has the more natural songwriting talent....

Friendly Fire, is, imho, a masterpiece in it's own right. Sean really makes such a wonderful, compelling album here, and the videos he made for each song are brilliant as well. Just read some of the reviews of this album by others:

Quote:
He could have spent his life in secluded, idle luxury in The Dakota, high over Central Park. Instead, Sean Lennon chose to develop the musical gifts that he inherited from his two prodigious parents. The fact that he sings these songs, produced the album, wrote the bulk of the material and plays various instruments shows that his determination paid off.
Quote:
FRIENDLY FIRE is an unbelievable musical expression of heartache -- a type of heartache none of us will ever know. your lifelong best friend steals your life partner, only to die in a motorcycle accident before any peace can be made between anyone.
Quote:
5.0 out of 5 stars
Lennon would be pleased

Quote:
This CD is amazing. The music is easy listening yet innovative. The melodies are fresh and the vocals remind me of his father, although Sean is impressive in his own right. I found the more I listened to it, the more I really liked it. It is on top of my playlist now.
What's YOUR opinion of Friendly Fire?
4iiiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2011, 09:19 PM   #2
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Default Friendly Fire is an amazing album

I love Friendly Fire from start to finish. It is such a fantastic album. So cohesive. So melodic. Dreamy lyrics, gorgeous music, and a lot of variety. I personally consider it to be the best album by either of John's sons. It's the one I always come back to. I love Sean's take on heartbreak and back-stabbing, on pain and retribution. I love how the album starts out with the softest, most delicate piano chords and then he starts singing, "Dead meat, don't you know you're dead meat?"

I also think "Parachute" is a work of art!!! And the entire concept of creating a film to go along with the music, with Sean as our gifted protagonist, fighting off the enemy in his lady's honor. Or coming into his own after being trampled on like a rug. Great acting, great cast, never boring, beautifully shot.

To me, the album is like a mini-event. I can't skip through it and go to one song because the transitions between songs is so breathtaking that, in order to fully appreciate the marvelous work that is this album, you HAVE to listen to it all the way through.

Aside from writing almost every song (he covers Marc Bolan and co-wrote one song) he produced and arranged the album, played most of the instruments, on his own. And all the pics in the booklet were drawn by him! (Pretty sure the when you open the album is supposed to be Bijou- oh snap!)

Sean, why you so brilliant?
Old Nov 19, 2011, 09:21 PM   #3
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Default Favorite song on album!

and a live version too!

Old Nov 19, 2011, 11:18 PM   #4
darkhorse23
Dr. Robert

I think John would be very proud of both Julian & Sean and I'm not going to compare one to the other.
www.americanpatrol.com[/color]
darkhorse23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2011, 11:28 PM   #5
Apple Scruff
Sun King

I don't know if this is a comparison darkhorse. I think it's just a positive exclamation about this beautiful album. At least I didn't read it as a comparison, based on the very first sentence.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 11:35 PM   #6
darkhorse23
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
I don't know if this is a comparison darkhorse. I think it's just a positive exclamation about this beautiful album. At least I didn't read it as a comparison, based on the very first sentence.
I just meant that I am not going to compare as many people try to do. I'm really sick of people comparing Julian & Sean or Paul & John.
www.americanpatrol.com[/color]

Last edited by darkhorse23 : Nov 19, 2011 at 11:38 PM.
darkhorse23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2011, 11:38 PM   #7
Maia 66
Sun King

I love Friendly Fire... beautiful and heartbreaking. Haven't listened to it in a long while, but this is my favorite song, which I think has a real classic feel to it, as do so many of Sean's songs:

And yes, of course John would have been immensely proud of both his boys, but I really think Sean has carried the Lennon songwriting torch more brightly.

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2011, 11:42 PM   #8
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse23 View Post
I just meant that I am not going to compare as many people try to do. I'm really sick of people comparing Julian & Sean or Paul & John.
(Well, Paul and John weren't even brought up so I'll just reflect on your first pairing...)

Darkhorse, I truly respect your stance against comparisons. You are a very fair and balanced individual and bless you for it. However, I don't think this particular thread is anything more than a basic...recommendation maybe...of Sean's brilliant album.

I love BOTH of John's sons and I really, really do not live to compare them. I think they both have great talent. While I am preferable to Sean overall, I think Julian's voice is gorgeous and his last two albums have been wonderful- especially Photograph Smile...

I guess I could make a thread for one of Jules' albums with a similar title, but I feel like 4iiiis was merely giving Sean some clear dues. For such a long time- and still it exists- people have belittled Sean's talent and attacked him for no reason. They never even heard the dang music!!

But lately it appears there has been a very tremendous turnaround, and much of what he does is being acknowledged with great response and love. I feel like this album (FF) is one of his greater achievements...I hope there will be many more.

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Nov 19, 2011 at 11:48 PM.
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2011, 11:48 PM   #9
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Default "Tomorrow" = perfect song

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post
I love Friendly Fire... beautiful and heartbreaking. Haven't listened to it in a long while, but this is my favorite song, which I think has a real classic feel to it, as do so many of Sean's songs:

What a beautiful choice Maia! I really love this song for many reasons. Firstly, it's very serene and gentle, and the music is SO pretty. Sean's voice also sounds amazing. He starts out softly and then builds it up at the mid-point... Then of course, it has those lyrics...

Quote:
"I promise to stop loving you tomorrow
Today can be your last day in my arms again
I promise to stop thinking of you constantly
and wishing I could wake up every morning next to you
Darling yes it's true...
Bijou Phillips is one lucky chic to have all this greatness written for/about her though.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:31 AM   #10
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Default some lines from Friendly Fire that own my heart...

There are many more, but here's a few:

Quote:
"Life is mostly what you don't see anyway, so just look away"
Quote:
"Find her, keep her, lose her/deserts you in the end, you were my friend"
Quote:
"So take your time, but don't take mine."
Quote:
"Love is like a hurricane
You know it's on the way
You think you can be brave
Underneath the waves
If life is just a dream
Which of us is dreaming?
And who will wake up screaming?"

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Nov 20, 2011 at 10:31 AM.
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:19 PM   #11
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Default Sean performing some songs from his new "ABLUM"

"Dead Meat" and "On Again, Of Again"

I love his sense of humor! And this is fairly fantastic,eh?

Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:56 PM   #12
Maia 66
Sun King

Oui, oui... c'est fantastique! I really dig Sean's songs.

Um, was it just me, or did Sean seem like he just came from his Uncle Paul's for some, uh, tea?

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 05:45 AM   #13
wallrus59
Bulldog

nice....think he paid attention to his dad's wit when growing up?
thanks scruffie.

gk.

wallrus59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2011, 02:15 PM   #14
Fly
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post
Um, was it just me, or did Sean seem like he just came from his Uncle Paul's for some, uh, tea?
Hell yeah he did. That boy is toked.

This album is really beautiful. I love every song on it. I think Sean is a wonderful songwriter and I enjoy his lyrical phrasing. He is definitely his dad's boy. The above video is wonderfull. He's so cute too.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 09:34 AM   #15
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Obsessed for so long with "Parachute" and "Headlights." I love the French bonus track, "L'Eclipse" with M. Who's heard it?
Old Nov 26, 2011, 09:49 AM   #16
wildewoman
Taxman

I played this CD constantly when it first came out. I'm going to have pull this out and listen to it again today. This album is so freaking good.

Could you post that bonus track?

Last edited by wildewoman : Nov 26, 2011 at 09:50 AM.
wildewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2011, 10:59 AM   #17
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Default Here's "L'Eclipse" with Sean and M...

Sean speaks perfect French (unlike his daddy- remember that lovely interview with John speaking "French?")

I wonder if our lovely friend 4iiiis could possibly, um, turn this into an mp3. When he has time of course....
Old Nov 27, 2011, 05:52 AM   #18
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Obsessed for so long with "Parachute" and "Headlights." I love the French bonus track, "L'Eclipse" with M. Who's heard it?
Hi Scruffie

Well, you're not the only one : I'm obsessed with those two songs too, as they are my favourite from "Friendly Fire":

Here the video for "Headlights":

It's the very first album from Sean I heard (thank's to the strong recommendation of 4iii's) and it certainly won't be the last one. I was truly surprised about Sean's high-quality lyrics and his sense for melodies

Honestly, I never thought I would enjoy Sean's music that much, as I always had a preference for Julian. Meanwhile, I think that Sean is equally interesting musically speaking and that he even might have more talent than Julian , though I have no intent to offense Julian's fans

Right now, I'm listening to Julian's latest album, which I also enjoy, though it's very different. But I shall come back to Sean's music for sure

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 05:58 AM   #19
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Sean speaks perfect French (unlike his daddy- remember that lovely interview with John speaking "French?")

I wonder if our lovely friend 4iiiis could possibly, um, turn this into an mp3. When he has time of course....
Oh dear; I've never seen that video before and I find it AMAZING, thank's for sharing, Scruffie

I don't know how you feel about it, but I was shocked about how much Sean reminded me of his dad Just look at the way he shakes his shoulder while playing guitar, woooooow, I was soooo moved I love that clip

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 07:00 AM   #20
Apple Scruff
Sun King

You're so welcome Snoopy! Isn't it great though? I can't wait for another Sean solo album. They are simply addictive.