BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > And Your Bird Can Sing

Old May 01, 2003, 03:44 PM   #1
Edmund
Nowhere Man

Default Sell Me On "Abbey Road"

I think Abbey Road is the weakest Beatle album.

The side 1 songs have some shockers: Maxwell (dreadful), Oh Darling (a bore), Octopus's Garden (cutesy). Even I Want You - which is good - seems to have little passion in it. Only Come Together and Something seem to be well up to Beatle standards.
On side 2, Here Comes The Sun is great (best song on the album). Because is trite (really Ono lyrics, aren't they?). Everyone raves about the medley, but it strikes me as just a way of joining song fragments.

The only way it works is a listening experience is due to the talents of George Martin.

So: have I got it, has the Abbey Road myth been broken?

Convince me otherwise!
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2003, 04:40 PM   #2
SF4-EVER

Default Re: Sell Me On "Abbey Road"

Welcome to Beatlelinks, Edmund! [img]graemlins/wave2.gif[/img] Everyone has a different opinion, of course; I like Abbey Road. I love the harmonies of "Because," and John says about it, "The lyrics are clear, no bullsh*t, no imagery, no obscure references." (I've never heard of the lyrics being attributed to Yoko; Beatlesongs gives John full credit for that song.) I love the shifting melodies of "You Never Give Me Your Money," the ending of "I Want You (She's So Heavy," and the gorgeous but poignant "Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End" medley. Sure, the album has its weak spots, but for me, its strengths more than compensate.
SF4-EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2003, 04:46 PM   #3
The Myth
Nowhere Man

Abbey Road, in my opinion, is the Beatles greatest album.

There is more variety in this album than any album they had ever done (sans the White Album):

Come Together - dirty rock and roll
Something - love ballad
Maxwell's Silver Hammer - music hall romp
Oh! Darling - "classic" rock and roll
Octopus's Garden - children's
I Want You - heavy metal, acid
Here Comes The Sun - folk rock
Because - vocal

Maxwell shouldn't be taken all too seriously. It is, however, one of Paul's best lyrics, as well as a very fun song to singalong to. Oh! Darling is another great singalong, but it also has a great Paul vocal and some hard hitting piano. Octopus's Garden, for all of its fun, is Ringo's BEST song, and contains some great blues guitar from George. I Want You is incredibly passionate, and for a song with maybe 20 words at most, it rocks so hard that it's hard to just skip it. Because is not just a Yoko song- it has introspective lyrics about drugs and love. The greatest part of the song is the harmony though.

The melody? Yeah it may seem like small ditties put together...but each song has its own identity and plays so well in its place.

I've always interpreted the medley this way (it may be looking too much into it, but it struck me one day):

You Never Give Me Your Money: the open statement that the following is the last of Beatle songs. The "nowhere to go" lyric and the "get in the limousine" lyric both give off a feeling of ending and departure. I always thought Paul was really singing, "look, this is the end."

Sun King: the first of 4 songs profiling a Beatle from anothers' point of view. This is John's take on George, the guy who makes everyone laugh and smile. The guy who sings about the sun all the time. The guy who goes abroad for insight (thus the Italian lyrics).

Mean Mr. Mustard: the song about Ringo. Yeah I don't think he was overly dirty or mean, but he's an "old man" and he wasn't as much in the public eye (thus the lyric about "taking him out to look at the queen).

Polythene Pam: song about Paul. "He's so good looking but he looks like a man" refers to his style of writing "granny" music.

She Came In Through The Bathroom Window: Paul sings about John. Maybe "protected by a silver spoon" is a sarcastic take on his working class roots. The lyrics in this song could refer to John going off the deep end with drugs...or Yoko...and Paul being the one in the background wondering why.

Golden Slumbers: The first medley ends, and Paul comes back to remind us that it's the end. The sweet song to open the final song set.

Carry That Weight: All the Beatles get to sing in the chorus, and it's joyous. The lyric could be about finally leaving and each one being on their own.

The End: Doesn't need elaboration. The PERFECT way to say goodbye.

Now, you're right about the album being a real good one due to George Martin. Yes, Abbey Road is one of the greatest produced albums EVER. But the song quality is amazing. John signals the end of psychedelia in "Come Together," George has two of his best songs on the album, Paul contributes a song each from the styles he can do best: music hall and rock and roll, and Ringo has his BEST song.

Also, Paul's bass playing in this album is extraodinary, especially in "Maxwell," "Come Together," and "I Want You." John's bassline in "Oh! Darling" is also one of his best basslines. Then there's Ringo, who truly has his best album as far as the drums go.

I believe that Abbey Road is the perfect album. I can't skip one song on it. The mood is so right- playful, sometimes truly passionate, but very introspective.

I don't know how I could convince you...but I hope I at least gave some insight and made you think about it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ May 01, 2003, 05:48 PM: Message Edited By: The Myth ][/size]
The Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2003, 04:59 PM   #4
sleepybomb
Nowhere Man

i'm not sure i wanna sell ya on this, but to me the weakest lp is 'for sale', it is mostly stage songs, and feels as though they are sleepwalking!
but 'abbey road' is a really good lp . . .(altho i agree that 'maxwell' is prob the worst beatle song recorded!). it is not my personal fave, (that is reserved for 'revolver' and the white one), but it is an aural masterpiece.
i just love the minimal-denseness of 'i want you', paul's desperate howling on 'oh! darling', and george's optimisim on 'here comes the sun'.
and if you think that the medley is just songs slapped together, you need to find the outtakes from these sessions. it was all orchestrated by george martin and paul. i think side two of abbey road is one of the most satisfying 20 or so mins in rock and roll!
OH LOOK OUT!
sleepybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2003, 05:10 PM   #5
Lynner

I think "side 2" really flows. This is one album that just sounds best on vinyl. As wonderful as cds are, there's just something about putting side 2 on a turn table and hearing the hiss just before the opening of "Here comes the sun". Shrivers down the spine every time!
Lynner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2003, 05:15 PM   #6
Edmund
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted By SF4-EVER:
Welcome to Beatlelinks, Edmund! [img]graemlins/wave2.gif[/img] Everyone has a different opinion, of course; I like Abbey Road. I love the harmonies of "Because," and John says about it, "The lyrics are clear, no bullsh*t, no imagery, no obscure references." (I've never heard of the lyrics being attributed to Yoko; Beatlesongs gives John full credit for that song.) I love the shifting melodies of "You Never Give Me Your Money," the ending of "I Want You (She's So Heavy," and the gorgeous but poignant "Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End" medley. Sure, the album has its weak spots, but for me, its strengths more than compensate.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Thanks for the welcome! About Because: I meant that the lyrics sound like Yoko talking, not John. The harmonies are nice, for sure. But the song is for me a little cliched in lyrics and performance.

I will agree with you though that the Slumbers/Weight/End bit is poignant: it does seem as if Paul knew that this was it. Nice word isn't it, poignant?
Old May 01, 2003, 05:22 PM   #7
BeatlesFlip
Apple Scruff

This is also my personal favorite album. Like others have said, it has everything in it (my opinion) and it flows VERY well from song to song. WELCOME!
BeatlesFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2003, 05:26 PM   #8
Edmund
Nowhere Man

Hello Myth: and you're starting some new ones here, I think!

Quote:
You Never Give Me Your Money: the open statement that the following is the last of Beatle songs. The "nowhere to go" lyric and the "get in the limousine" lyric both give off a feeling of ending and departure. I always thought Paul was really singing, "look, this is the end."
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I think this song is about Apple and business problems, then the song drifts and diddles about a bit. Wonderful tune, I admit.

Quote:
Sun King: the first of 4 songs profiling a Beatle from anothers' point of view. This is John's take on George, the guy who makes everyone laugh and smile. The guy who sings about the sun all the time. The guy who goes abroad for insight (thus the Italian lyrics).
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I've not heard this interpretation aired for decades. I think the song meant nothing when John composed it. The nonsense words are nonsense Spanish I think.

Quote:
Mean Mr. Mustard: the song about Ringo. Yeah I don't think he was overly dirty or mean, but he's an "old man" and he wasn't as much in the public eye (thus the lyric about "taking him out to look at the queen).
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">That is too, too much of a stretch! Come on, you're making this up.

Quote:
Polythene Pam: song about Paul. "He's so good looking but he looks like a man" refers to his style of writing "granny" music.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">No; it's a girl they knew in the early sixties. Now I'm sure you're having a lend ...

Quote:
She Came In Through The Bathroom Window: Paul sings about John. Maybe "protected by a silver spoon" is a sarcastic take on his working class roots. The lyrics in this song could refer to John going off the deep end with drugs...or Yoko...and Paul being the one in the background wondering why.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Now I know you are, Myth! That's ingenious, but ... wrong!

[size="1"][ May 01, 2003, 06:27 PM: Message Edited By: Edmund ][/size]
Old May 01, 2003, 05:31 PM   #9
Edmund
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted By sleepybomb:
and if you think that the medley is just songs slapped together, you need to find the outtakes from these sessions. it was all orchestrated by george martin and paul. i think side two of abbey road is one of the most satisfying 20 or so mins in rock and roll!
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Yeah, I'm well acquanited with the outtakes, & I agree totally that the medley was orchestrated by Martin and Paul.

That's one of the things I don't like about it. I get the feeling of being conned. In a nutshell: weak songs, strong production.
Old May 01, 2003, 05:34 PM   #10
Edmund
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted By Lynner:
I think "side 2" really flows. This is one album that just sounds best on vinyl. As wonderful as cds are, there's just something about putting side 2 on a turn table and hearing the hiss just before the opening of "Here comes the sun". Shrivers down the spine every time!
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Tho I don't get that feeling on AR, I know what you mean EXACTLY Lynner. You described it wonderfully.

In fact, I've put all my vinyl Beatle albums on CD: makes it convenient to hear that hiss just before the first song on a side opens!
Old May 01, 2003, 05:36 PM   #11
Edmund
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted By BeatlesFlip:
This is also my personal favorite album. Like others have said, it has everything in it (my opinion) and it flows VERY well from song to song. WELCOME!
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Thanks for the welcome. Good stuff around here: I'm enjoying reading lots of threads. The one thing that I like is the friendliness that abounds, even among people who are disagreeing. Nice one.
Old May 01, 2003, 05:37 PM   #12

You must think like Paul McCartney, because Paul McCartney also said he thought the lyrics for BECAUSE came from Yoko. He said they sounded just like her. Interesting.

About Abbey Road. It's good, but it is nearly RUINED by three bad songs in a row. _Maxwell, Oh, Darling, and Octopus's Garden. It grinds the album to a screeching halt. It picks up a little with I want You, which is good. and then Her Comes The Sun and the rest are very good.

One problem with the album is because Side Two is composed of the joint melody, it just seems SHORT. It is over before you know it. But it is a great album- "come Together", both George Songs, and some of the Paul songs on the medley are really good.

The problem is those three songs- it creates a wasteland out of Side One. there was a conversation recorded where John and Paul were fighting about songs like "Ob la de" and "Maxwell." john did not want songs like that on the albums. He said songs like that should be put out as singles, but were not worthy to be on a Beatles album. Supposedly, Paul admitted they were not very good, but he said he thought they were good when they were recorded.

Maxwell may be the worst Beatles song EVER.
Old May 01, 2003, 05:42 PM   #13
Edmund
Nowhere Man

Yes, walrusegg: you might be on the money there. I will absolutely agree that as a listening experience, side 2 beats 1 hands down. That three in a row is a killer, for sure.

You've got an interesting take on AR, I must say ...
Old May 01, 2003, 07:54 PM   #14
bobdude
Dr. Robert

I always felt that Abbey Road is the peak of maturity for The Beatles as a band. Sure Maxwell is very weak as a song and Oh Darling is a bit overwrought and Octopus's Garden sounds like it had been done before, however musically these songs are executed brilliantly. The actual musicianship is very well done and The Beatles never sounded any better as a band. Listen to the guitar work on The End with the deuling solos or listen to the frentic bass runs during the end of I Want You. George's guitar work during Octopus's Garden makes that a listenable song. George has that shining slide guitar solo during Something. John's gut wrenching ballsy guitar playing during I Want You. The atmosphere is set for Here Comes The Sun and also for Sun King. Those are a few examples of the music. Harmony wise listen to the harmonies of Because. Sure it's been overdubbed many times but the harmonies are almost angelic. Also the vocal harmonies of George and Paul on the 3rd verse of Something is gorgeous.But just for fun what other Beatle album features a Ringo drum solo? Just my take on it.
bobdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2003, 08:51 PM   #15
The Myth
Nowhere Man

Edmund, I know the real stories behind each of the tracks. In my fictional mind, however, that is how I like to interpret them. It's something to just think about and say, "eh probably not, but what if?"

*EDIT* And while you're at it, be a real part of the action and vote in my Greatest Song Tournament! It's good fun! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] (End shameless plug)

[size="1"][ May 01, 2003, 09:54 PM: Message Edited By: The Myth ][/size]
The Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2003, 08:59 PM   #16
Edmund
Nowhere Man

OK, OK, Myth ...

I like it ... & I hope I passed your audition!

[size="1"][ May 01, 2003, 09:59 PM: Message Edited By: Edmund ][/size]
Old May 02, 2003, 07:46 AM   #17
onosideboards
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted By The Myth:
Abbey Road, in my opinion, is the Beatles greatest album.

There is more variety in this album than any album they had ever done (sans the White Album):

Come Together - dirty rock and roll
Something - love ballad
Maxwell's Silver Hammer - music hall romp
Oh! Darling - "classic" rock and roll
Octopus's Garden - children's
I Want You - heavy metal, acid
Here Comes The Sun - folk rock
Because - vocal

Maxwell shouldn't be taken all too seriously. It is, however, one of Paul's best lyrics, as well as a very fun song to singalong to. Oh! Darling is another great singalong, but it also has a great Paul vocal and some hard hitting piano. Octopus's Garden, for all of its fun, is Ringo's BEST song, and contains some great blues guitar from George. I Want You is incredibly passionate, and for a song with maybe 20 words at most, it rocks so hard that it's hard to just skip it. Because is not just a Yoko song- it has introspective lyrics about drugs and love. The greatest part of the song is the harmony though.

The melody? Yeah it may seem like small ditties put together...but each song has its own identity and plays so well in its place.

I've always interpreted the medley this way (it may be looking too much into it, but it struck me one day):

Golden Slumbers: The first medley ends, and Paul comes back to remind us that it's the end. The sweet song to open the final song set.

Carry That Weight: All the Beatles get to sing in the chorus, and it's joyous. The lyric could be about finally leaving and each one being on their own.

The End: Doesn't need elaboration. The PERFECT way to say goodbye.

Now, you're right about the album being a real good one due to George Martin. Yes, Abbey Road is one of the greatest produced albums EVER. But the song quality is amazing. John signals the end of psychedelia in "Come Together," George has two of his best songs on the album, Paul contributes a song each from the styles he can do best: music hall and rock and roll, and Ringo has his BEST song.

Also, Paul's bass playing in this album is extraodinary, especially in "Maxwell," "Come Together," and "I Want You." John's bassline in "Oh! Darling" is also one of his best basslines. Then there's Ringo, who truly has his best album as far as the drums go.

I believe that Abbey Road is the perfect album. I can't skip one song on it. The mood is so right- playful, sometimes truly passionate, but very introspective.

I don't know how I could convince you...but I hope I at least gave some insight and made you think about it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">i think it's fairly naive to think the beatles have nothing better to sing about than each other. especially at that point in their careers.

besides, i'm pretty sure john does not say, "he's so good looking..." in "polythene pam..." it's SHE'S so good looking. the point of the song is that she's ugly but people find her hot.

also, "sun king" does not really have Italian lyrics. it's just gobleygook. it's a joke.

[size="1"][ May 02, 2003, 09:04 AM: Message Edited By: onosideboards ][/size]
onosideboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2003, 10:08 PM   #18
Hari Krishna
Nowhere Man

Everyone's entitled to their opinions so this is mine.

Abbey Road is a great finale for a great band. For me, I think that all the songs are great, especially the medley on Side 2.
Hari Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2003, 10:46 PM   #19
ghfan1965
Apple Scruff

If you don't like it, I certainly can't sell you on it.
It is one of my favorite albums, the best songs (to me) being Something, Here Comes The Sun, Come Together, and Oh! Darling. The medlies are a plus to the album.
ghfan1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2003, 11:15 PM   #20
Ricky Rickenbacker
Apple Scruff

A great album, with side two being a great flow of songs. Come Together, Something, Maxwell"s Silver Hammer and I Want You (She's So Heavy) are great songs as well. An interesting part of the Golden Slumbers/The End sequence is that on the guitar solos, Paul said in an interview a few years ago, himself, George and John all do the little solos in that song. I believe the order is Paul, George and John.
Ricky Rickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote