BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Act Naturally

Old Nov 16, 2005, 03:54 AM   #1
beatlesjiliang
Fool On The Hill

Send a message via MSN to beatlesjiliang
Unhappy How to say something about Beatles in chinese.oh,so hard to write!

Firstly,I write some words about "Beatles".From the year we first know thebeatles,most people call them 甲壳虫(“甲” 's pronunciation is just like the first part of "java",“壳” 's pronunciation is just like the first part of "kebab",“虫“ 's pronunciation is just like ...,oh,sorry I realy don't know.),the classic car "beetle" is the same name,hope I didn't make mistake.now, more and more people like to use the word "披头士",cause pronunciation is just like pronunciation of "Beatles" in English .
About their names ,I think beatlebangs1964's words almost like I call them .but in Chinese ,their names is 约翰 列侬(John Lennon),保罗 麦卡特尼(Paul Mccartney),乔治 哈里森(George Harrison),林戈 斯达(Ringo star).
I'm sure you will be hard to understand what's the meaning of these sentens.Is there a better way to introduce these ? MSN?I will tell you more in the later day.
Finally,I want to tell you a joke in our English class .
student :I am sorry!

sir :I am sorry too!

student:I am sorry three!

sir :What are you sorry for?

student :I am sorry five.
beatlesjiliang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 04:15 AM   #2
matt5
Old Brown Shoe

That was very interesting! Thank you.

Are the Beatles popular in China?

What is your favourite Beatle song?
make a country dream come true
matt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 04:22 AM   #3
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

I was able to understand the sentences....the chinese symbols are lost to me tho.
It must be very hard learning to write in a new language...
It is great that you are here sharing.

The Beatles are a universal group....!
sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 04:23 AM   #4
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

"tell the blinker that you all need to have the chinese language downloaded onto your computers in order to see the characters
because your computers don't understand the symbols a ? or the square is the auto-replacement "

this is why the symbols are lost to me LOL
sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 05:30 AM   #5
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964
Thumbs up

This is very interesting, Jiliang. I'd like to learn more about Chinese characters and how to read them.

In August of 2004, Cloud provided the Chinese names for each Beatle.

John (Yeoc Hon)

Paul (Pou Lo)

George (Cho Ji)

Ringo (Leng Kou)

I love this kind of cultural sharing. Jiliang, when reading Chinese characters, is there a part added or taken from the character to give it a different sound/tone and/or meaning? I find this very interesting.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Nov 16, 2005 at 05:34 AM.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 07:20 AM   #6
Loka
Nowhere Man

As far as I can see, Beatlebangs, your suggestion for the names are in Cantonese (only spoken in Hong Kong and the southern parts), not Mandarin. But Iīm studying Chinese only for two years now so Ji might know more... Iīve always written the Beatles 披 头 士 or rather 披 頭 士 in traditional characters (notice the difference between the second ones), spoken itīs pi-tou-shi, yes, I know, poor translation...but itīs actually written like this on the chinese record cover of the red " 1 " - Album (with all the number one hits). So is this the official "Beatles"-transcription?
In Japanese everythingīs easier: ビートルズ !!! bi-toruzu. Thank God the "u" is not spoken
Old Nov 18, 2005, 04:36 AM   #7
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

ビートルズ is that Beatles in Japanese? And what are the distinguishing differences between Cantonese and Mandarin? In the language and the characters? And when are traditional as opposed to nontraditional characters used?

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 01:55 AM   #8
beatlesjiliang
Fool On The Hill

Actually,people who know Beatles is not many in China."The Beatles are a universal group" is true,but most Chinese is not interested in other country's culture.Remember me in high school ,beatles is not introduced in our history book .now ,beatles is introduced ,but wry .I think they judged beatles is the product of capitalism.but some famous yarnsmiths like beatles ,for example Wang Xiaobo ,Yu Guangzhong .this also testify beatles is a great band .
About favourite Beatle song.I just know my favourite Beatle is lennon .favourite Beatle song?so so so many !I live in a different outside condition from you .until 18 years old ,I haven't heard any song of Beatles .When I first heard the song "yesterday",I just know it's a good-hearing song .to the sentence "Beatles is the greatest band in 20th century,in 60's they changed all the world ,not just in musical province .even we can say they invent a new century in music and culture area ",Can a band do this ?I can't believe . when i was 19,I bought my first album of beatles "yellow submarine",pop music in our country is so bad that I should not call it music .so to me ,all songs is great .especial ,"everyone of us is all we need " is my favourite sentence.Now ,three disks can be found in market ,yellow submarine ,1,let it be -naked .other songs is downloaded from Internet .though I haven't anything of beatles except the three disks ,I 'm glad that I fall across the beatles .
Old Nov 19, 2005, 02:08 AM   #9
beatlesjiliang
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourmilkpinky
"tell the blinker that you all need to have the chinese language downloaded onto your computers in order to see the characters
because your computers don't understand the symbols a ? or the square is the auto-replacement "

this is why the symbols are lost to me LOL
oh ,Is you can't see the characters ?.my computer's system is windows XP for China .Chinese and English I both can see .For understanding your words ,I need a software that can translate .
Old Nov 19, 2005, 02:33 AM   #10
beatlesjiliang
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlebangs1964
This is very interesting, Jiliang. I'd like to learn more about Chinese characters and how to read them.

John (Yeoc Hon)

Paul (Pou Lo)

George (Cho Ji)

Ringo (Leng Kou)

I love this kind of cultural sharing. Jiliang, when reading Chinese characters, is there a part added or taken from the character to give it a different sound/tone and/or meaning? I find this very interesting.
I think it's it's harder for an English learning Chinese .but if you can stay in China for half a year,you will can speak Chinese we often use .If you want to speak Chinese that people speak in my hometown .oh ,it's too hard .Now ,I can not speak and don't know their meaning if they say fast .
Old Nov 19, 2005, 02:57 AM   #11
beatlesjiliang
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlebangs1964

John (Yeoc Hon)

Paul (Pou Lo)

George (Cho Ji)

Ringo (Leng Kou)

I think it's it's harder for an English learning Chinese .but if you can stay in China for half a year,you will can speak Chinese we often use .If you want to speak Chinese that people speak in my hometown .oh ,it's too hard .Now ,I can not speak and don't know their meaning if they say fast .Welcome to China !I hope someday you will come to China .
Old Nov 19, 2005, 03:37 AM   #12
beatlesjiliang
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loka
As far as I can see, Beatlebangs, your suggestion for the names are in Cantonese (only spoken in Hong Kong and the southern parts), not Mandarin. But Iīm studying Chinese only for two years now so Ji might know more... Iīve always written the Beatles 披 头 士 or rather 披 頭 士 in traditional characters (notice the difference between the second ones), spoken itīs pi-tou-shi, yes, I know, poor translation...but itīs actually written like this on the chinese record cover of the red " 1 " - Album (with all the number one hits). So is this the official "Beatles"-transcription?
In Japanese everythingīs easier: ビートルズ !!! bi-toruzu. Thank God the "u" is not spoken
thank you for telling beatles in Japanese.you are studying Chinese?oh,have you talked with Chinese ?If I talk with a foreigner ,All I can say is "hello ","how do you do ","nice to meet you ".Chinese students are not good at spoken language .
Old Nov 19, 2005, 04:05 AM   #13
Loka
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlesjiliang
thank you for telling beatles in Japanese.you are studying Chinese?oh,have you talked with Chinese ?If I talk with a foreigner ,All I can say is "hello ","how do you do ","nice to meet you ".Chinese students are not good at spoken language .

Yes, of course I talk to many students every day, Chineses, Japaneses...Iīve got several language exchange partners and I need to improve my spoken Chinese as well...but I can say quite a few things.

To Beatlebangs:
Cantonese is almost "a different language", itīs written with the same characters as in Mandarin but pronounced totally different. In the Peopleīs Republic of China modern characters are used, only on Taiwan they still use traditional characters to write the same things, but they are more difficult and too many people literally could neither read nor write them anymore, so they were simplified (beforethe government escaped to Taiwan and all this separation stuff started).
We learned traditional characters so that we can see where the simplified came from.
A little bit of nonsense, but while weīre there:
John Lennon ジョン・レノン
Yoko Ono 小野洋子 (actually itīs Ono Yoko, the right way īround)
Paul McCartney ポール・マッカートニー

Old Jul 28, 2020, 11:50 AM   #14
frizxtes
Little Child

Ideally, a good laptop should be relevant for another 5-7 years after purchase. So you have to puzzle what is better in this case: a MacBook or a laptop on Windows. Apple laptops are only 10-15% of laptop users, even though they are constantly praised. I need such a thing to write essays for the university, sometimes I really order them via CustomWritings professional essay writing services, but I try to write. I practically don’t play games, there’s no time for that.
frizxtes is offline   Reply With Quote