BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Goodnight Vienna

Old Mar 27, 2003, 08:14 AM   #1
beatlz
Rocky Raccoon

Default Ringo Says Beatles Were Not A \'Boy Band\' Like Today\'s Male Pop Groups

Entertainment - LAUNCH Music

Ringo Says Beatles Were Not A 'Boy Band' Like Today's Male Pop Groups
Wed Mar 26,10:00 PM ET

Darryl Morden

Ringo Starr appeared Tuesday (March 25) on MTV's TRL show for the release of his latest album Ringo Rama. The program is geared towards young contemporary pop fans, and Starr compared the height of "Beatlemania" in the 1960s to the fan reaction for contemporary "boy bands" like *NSYNC and the Backstreet Boys.

Starr said the groups are very different, however. He said that starting out, the four Beatles were certainly "boys and we were a band," and also admitted that early on, the group also didn't write all of their own material. But then he commented that once John Lennon and Paul McCartney began writing songs--and George Harrison as well--"it became that the song was important, not our dancing."

Starr was making a bit of a joke, as the Beatles were never a dancing group.

Starr kicks off his 2003 All-Starr Band tour on July 24 in Rama, Ontario, Canada.
beatlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2003, 08:16 AM   #2
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart
Default Re: Ringo Says Beatles Were Not A \'Boy Band\' Like Today\'s Male Pop Groups

Quote:
Originally Posted By beatlz:
Starr was making a bit of a joke, as the Beatles were never a dancing group.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">A little frightening that the writer here actually feels the need to explain this, isn't it?? [img]graemlins/afraid2.gif[/img]
Rellevart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2003, 09:20 AM   #3
armyant
Little Child

Default Re: Ringo Says Beatles Were Not A \'Boy Band\' Like Today\'s Male Pop Groups

I don't know- the screaming girls? the pin-ups? Cute quips? Singing harmony? OF COURSE they were a "boy band." It's just that two of the boys were Lennon and McCartney- who developed into two of the greatest songwriters of the century.

Who CAN compare with Lennon and McCartney? No one- even the Bee Gees, who came the closest, are just a whisper of the two lads. But they were still a boy band in the beginning. All the songs were love songs- and if you remember- Lennon said that not one of them alone could have made it, that all four were different, so girls could get into at least one of them and they could mop up them all. It's just that Boy Band is now a term of derision so Ringo wants to disassociate himself with it.
armyant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2003, 06:53 PM   #4
alicizmar
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted By Magill:
I love George's comment about them being the Spice Boys. Cuuuute! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh7.gif[/img] i love that one!!

they were a 'boy band' but not by the way they put it now.
they werent just 'a bunch of strangers stuffed in a room' like most now-they were such good friends they were like brothers.

[size="1"][ Mar 27, 2003, 07:57 PM: Message Edited By: alicizmar ][/size]
alicizmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2003, 11:08 PM   #5
Penny Lane
Apple Scruff

i HATE it when people refer to the beatles as "pop" and call them a "boy band". it's insulting cause i take it personally. grrrrrr...
[img]graemlins/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

GO RINGO!!! [img]graemlins/bouncing3.gif[/img]
Penny Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2003, 11:16 PM   #6
Magill
Sun King

I love George's comment about them being the Spice Boys. Cuuuute! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Magill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2003, 08:29 AM   #7
beatlelover45223

I love George's comment about them being the Spice Boys.

Boy did they spice things up close to 40 years ago and still going strong, they spiced up music as no one had ever seen it, led the way to the revolution of music, fashion, values, one could go on forever about the effect these 4 guys had on the world, and still do...
[img]graemlins/party.gif[/img]
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2003, 09:17 AM   #8
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Yeah, but remember George said that the Spice Girls [img]graemlins/thumbsdown.gif[/img] sounded good if you were 14 and turned the sound down.

Sounds like George probably turned the sound down on them and said rude things like I did. [img]graemlins/laugh5.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/joker.gif[/img]

Seriously, I think Ringo meant that the Beatles were and will remain REAL and PURE talent and not a business - manufactured put-together flash in the pan ensemble. They played their own instruments, were prolific lyricists/composers/poets and also sounded damn GOOD! I think George made that comment about "Spice Boys" all in fun. George had a BRILLIANT sense of humor.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2003, 09:25 AM   #9
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted By alicizmar:

they were a 'boy band' but not by the way they put it now.
they werent just 'a bunch of strangers stuffed in a room' like most now-they were such good friends they were like brothers.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Yeah, that's how I see it, too. The Beatles weren't created 100% by the record companies like today's boy bands (yes, the Fabs had TONS of promotion, etc. by their label, but not like today). They were friends first long before the fame.

That's why I laughed my a** off when I first saw commercials for the "Making the Band" show. You don't MAKE a "band"....they happen on their own.
beatlegirl9977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2003, 08:50 AM   #10
spikewilbury22
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
Who CAN compare with Lennon and McCartney? No one- even the Bee Gees, who came the closest, are just a whisper of the two lads. But they were still a boy band in the beginning.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">First of all...The Bee-Gees? You have to be kidding. Not Bob Dylan, or even George himself were better song writers than the Bee Gees? They were much better than the Bee Gees. Anyway, I think a huge difference (the biggest difference) between boy bands and a group of boys in a band, is INSTRUMENTS!!! Tell me, what instruments do the backstreet boys play? And where are the backstreet boys or nsync or another generic boy band now? Let's not forget the beatles STILL sell records....40 years later!
spikewilbury22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2003, 05:47 PM   #11
beatlelover45223

well put spikewilbury...awesome group of artists
those Beatles...
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2003, 12:07 PM   #12
beatlewho01-02
Wild Honey Pie

Ringo was on TRL. God I can't believe I missed it. That was history made there and I missed it. It's the first time Ringo appeared on a sucky MTV show in front of stupid teenagers.
beatlewho01-02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2003, 04:05 AM   #13
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

Hey now! I'm a teenager and I love the beatles! I have had for a long time! But I think I understand what you meant [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] A lot of people my age don't know the beatles or like them, which I find kinda sad. Likewise, I have found a lot of people my age who like the beatles. Getting back to the topic, Ringo was right when he said the beatles weren't a boy band. The only thing the beatles had in common with that is they were boys in a band, just like Ringo said! Way to go Ringo!
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2003, 04:43 PM   #14
alicizmar
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted By beatlegirl9977:
That's why I laughed my a** off when I first saw commercials for the "Making the Band" show. You don't MAKE a "band"....they happen on their own.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">well said beatlegirl! [img]graemlins/thumbsup2.gif[/img]
alicizmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 01, 2003, 12:21 PM   #15
OnlySleeping
Apple Scruff

Quote:
Originally Posted By lennonluvr9:
A lot of people my age don't know the beatles or like them, which I find kinda sad. Likewise, I have found a lot of people my age who like the beatles.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">I know what you're saying. I talked to this one girl who'd *gasp* never even heard of them! I do know a couple people my age though who really enjoy their music. Most of them seem at least willing to acknowledge the impact the Beatles had on music, which is great... although I don't know how they can say it when they sometimes haven't even heard the music. I just wanna sit them down with my CD player and say, "Here, listen!"

It was cool seeing Ringo on TRL, although I wish the interview would have been a bit longer. Some of the people's comments comparing them to Nsync and Backstreet Boys kind of annoyed me, but Ringo's comments were enough to cheer me up about the whole thing again. There really is nothing like those famous, dancing Beatles. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
OnlySleeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 02, 2003, 02:01 AM   #16
BrazilianFlag
Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted By OnlySleeping:
There really is nothing like those famous, dancing Beatles. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Anyone for George's Happy Dance on AHDN? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
BrazilianFlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 02, 2003, 03:18 AM   #17
kc
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
Originally Posted By beatlebangs1964:
Yeah, but remember George said that the Spice Girls [img]graemlins/thumbsdown.gif[/img] sounded good if you were 14 and turned the sound down.

Sounds like George probably turned the sound down on them and said rude things like I did. [img]graemlins/laugh5.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/joker.gif[/img]

<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Brilliant! I missed the show since I don't have MTV (poor me, right? [img]graemlins/wink3.gif[/img] ), but cheers to Ringo for his remarks! Will anybody be listening to the Backstreet Boys or 'N Sync 40 years after they recorded?

I know of one music consumer who won't.
kc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2003, 09:30 PM   #18
Beatle_soul
Dr. Robert

those little NSYNC and backstreet boys do not deserve anything...... [img]graemlins/devil1.gif[/img] * [img]graemlins/devil1.gif[/img] *muhahaha
i live on salts spring island so i couldent see the Ringo thing BUT im clapping rite now!

cheap little boy bands!
Beatle_soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2003, 11:49 PM   #19
misslennon_909
Nowhere Man

Send a message via Skype™ to misslennon_909

LOL, can you imagine our boys lined up onstage singing "Ain't no lie, bye bye bye!"

I really hate it when you see news clips of boybands and screaming fans, and the reporter says, "Nothing like this has been seen since Beatlemania." No one compares to the Fabs! How dare they?
misslennon_909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2003, 10:45 PM   #20
Ricky Rickenbacker
Apple Scruff

How well put misslennon!

It's like comparing a Volkswagon to a Lexus!

Nothing against the boy bands of today, but you just can't say them and the Fab4 in the same breath.
Ricky Rickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote