BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Not Only A Northern Song

Old Jul 03, 2002, 02:36 PM   #1
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Re: The Oasis Thread (you\'re warned!)

Sum41 sucked. They were really popular in the US last summer, but then nobody really heard about them after.

I like "The Hindu Times."

------------------
If you don't vote in the Beatle Awards, we'll have to use the The letter E has just pulled sponsorship. We are awaiting response from the letter Q.
-----
I am the walrus. No really, I am.

[This Message Has Been Edited By bandontherun On July 03, 2002 02:37 PM]
Old Jul 03, 2002, 07:19 PM   #2
HeyBeatle
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HeyBeatle Send a message via MSN to HeyBeatle

I agree with most all of what he said.

I still prefer the "less talkie more singie" rule with Oasis as a whole.

------------------
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else is.

~If you don't mind, I'm going to bed before either of you come up with another idea to get us killed, or worse expelled!
~She needs to sort of her priorities.
HeyBeatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 03, 2002, 07:33 PM   #3
darkhorse
Sun King

You know what I think of Oasis. I like them... except for a couple of songs in the Be Here Now album, they are great. There is no point in comparing them to The Beatles, though... and their words outside the music are just... well... don't take them too seriously if you don't want to. They even said

"please don't put your life in the hands of a rock and roll band
who'll throw it all away"

so what's even the point in putting all of your hate and anger on them when they are nothing but an entertaining act. They make good music, but that's all. (I hope this thread won't be closed because of this last paragraph... )

Agreed with most of the things Scotty pointed out anyway.

------------------
"When all is still in the night and silence starts to flow,
Become or disbelieve me, left alone with my heart
I'm learning how to love you" ~ George '76
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 03, 2002, 10:16 PM   #4
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree that Scotty is sexy.

Oh wait, that wasn't the point of this thread...

But seriously, the more songs I download by them, the more I love them. My favorites so far are probably Don't Look Back In Anger, Wonderwall, Sunday Morning Call, and Don't Go Away. Plus Hindu Times is growing on me.

No literally! IT'S GROWING ON ME!!!!!!! Get it off!!!!

oh i'll shut up now

------------------
"I wish I was like you, easily amused..."
Old Jul 04, 2002, 12:35 AM   #5
Amalthea
Old Brown Shoe

Default The Oasis Thread (you\'re warned!)

Well, since I love them, and I loved sharing thoughts about them in What Goes On, I thought I've opened this thread... so that any thing can be discussed about them

I liked one post there, so I'll just quote it

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>"The Rolling Stones today are rubbish"

Correct, since at least 1981.

On Kylie Minogue: "She's a demonic little idiot with a stupid name"

Correct.

On Sum 41: "How does it feel to know that you have the privilege of being alive at the same time as the worst band of all time?"

Correct.

On Robbie Williams: "He's in the Guinness Book of Records for f---'s sake! But so what? So is a bloke who jumped off the Eiffel Tower and lands in a f------ tea cup. Did he write STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER? No, so f--- off, you f---."

Correct.

On Damon Albarn of Gorillaz (formerly of Blur): "That c--- is like, 'Is there a bandwagon passing? Park it outside my house.' And it's fitting that he ended up as a cartoon. He always was a cartoon."

Correct.

On Radiohead: "They say, 'Don't interview us, don't bother us, don't smile at us, but buy our records'"

Correct (Radiohead still rule though)

&lt;&lt;NOEL Gallagher of Oasis has branded most of Sir Paul McCartney’s recent work "manure" in a savage attack on the elder statesman of British rock. When asked about Sir Paul’s recent work in another interview, Gallagher replied: "I don’t know, I think he’s just going senile, isn’t he?"&gt;&gt;

Correct.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anyone want to discuss?
I, for example, agree on almost all... just I don't know who Sum41 are.. eheh

Oh, and I add this... yesterday they were on the Italian television, and Liam was dressing again that lovely Hey Jude t-shirt

------------------
"Because there wasn't any reason left to keep it all inside"
- Paul McCartney, 1982
Amalthea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 04, 2002, 02:09 AM   #6
Amalthea
Old Brown Shoe

Eheh, Forty, that's good

Hmmm, about fave songs... if I had to choose a Top 5 (or 6,7) so in case one who doesn't know them can start, I'd say "Don't Look Back In Anger", "Stand By Me", "D'You Know What I Mean", "Wonderwall", "Sunday Morning Call", "The Hindu Times", "Champagne Supernova", "Don't Go Away", "Some Might Say", "Live Forever", "Fade Away", "Stop Crying Your Heart Out", "Who Feels Love?", "Little James"... and, uhm "Whatever"

Ok ok, they're more then 5, but by now they are the ones I got in mind

And darky, exactly, you said all was needed to say

------------------
- Paul McCartney, 1982
Old Jul 04, 2002, 03:48 AM   #7
lucyinthesky_84
Taxman

I love Oasis' music.

I esp. like "Live Forever" (amazing song!), "Sunday Morning Call" and the new one "Stop Crying Your Heart Out".

And another thing, Liam's kinda sexy. I know it's shallow of me and totally irrelevant, but I just had to let it out.

------------------
Half of what I say is meaningless...
lucyinthesky_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 04, 2002, 10:30 AM   #8
Amalthea
Old Brown Shoe

Well, it's a shallow of me too then eheh

I didn't mention it before, since you know, well, if you talk of how they look before of the music, you just don't look intelligent

But yes, he's a typical Northern beauty, and I love the eyes... Noel is just a little bit better if you consider the brain side

------------------
- Paul McCartney, 1982
Old Jul 05, 2002, 02:49 AM   #9
lucyinthesky_84
Taxman

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By Amalthea:
Noel is just a little bit better if you consider the brain side
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
Half of what I say is meaningless...
lucyinthesky_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 05, 2002, 09:54 AM   #10
Amalthea
Old Brown Shoe

I must admit I've fallen in love for Stop Crying Your Heart Out...

You know, it's a good song, the first time you listen to it. It's great the second, since you get all the instrument, and when you are very careful as for the lyrics, then well, it's a masterpiece.

The interpretation I gave to those lyrics just fit too well to all I've had to live in my life, and ... it helps you go through. It's one of those rare songs that help you in the hard moments, since it makes you think... I know they say obvious things, like you'll never change what's been and gone... but then they tell you to shine on, not to be scared, because you know that all of the starts are fading away but, don't worry!, you'll see them again, someday... so stop mourning, get up come on! And be on your way...

------------------
- Paul McCartney, 1982

[This Message Has Been Edited By Amalthea On July 05, 2002 09:56 AM]
Old Jul 05, 2002, 06:35 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By Amalthea:
I liked one post there, so I'll just quote it.... just I don't know who Sum41 are.. eheh
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks....

Sum 41 are a "punk" band from Toronto (very near me, unfortunately). They look and act about 13 years old. The worst part isn't that they sound like every other punk band (aka Green Day part 79), but that they also rap.

SCOTTY

------------------
If not for Marissa, my sky would fall
Old Jul 05, 2002, 06:44 PM   #12

I must admit I've fallen in love for Stop Crying Your Heart Out...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes! I heard it for the second time just now. It's #1 on the MuchMoreMusic Countdown (Canada's music channel). #2 is "The Hindu Times" (the catchiest song of 2002, along with Weezer's "Dope Nose"). Apparently, Oasis is regaining their popular acclaim.

I still don't understand why "Be Here Now" was so mercilessly thrashed in the press. If you like the typical three minute pop song, it's not for you. But in terms of average song length, it was no different than a Cream or Led Zep album, so I don't know where all these "pretentious" accusations came from. There were some fine melodies, great production, nice solos from Noel.... a couple fillers but most of it was great.

"Standing on the Shoulder...." was a letdown though. Four good songs: "Go Let It Out," "Who Feels Love," "Where Did It All Go Wrong" and "Sunday Morning Call." The rest was very disappointing.

I'm anxious to hear Gem and Andy's songs, and a little afraid of hearing Liam's. Hopefully they carry their weight. If Oasis could become like The Beatles and The Band and have more than one great songwriter, they could keep putting good stuff out for another decade....

SCOTTY

------------------
If not for Marissa, my sky would fall
Old Jul 06, 2002, 01:36 AM   #13
Amalthea
Old Brown Shoe

I agree with you on "Be Here Now"... actually it was my first Oasis LP, I remember even where I have bought it - in a motorway's restaurant, while I was going two days in Umbria with frieds. I remember also that I passed that summer on my bed with my CD-walkman listening to it over and over. That's not normal for me, if it's not a Beatles related thing... I love many songs there, Stand By Me is so rocky and but the lyrics are wonderful (Noel is a genius), I like All Around The World - whose video is a tribute to our Beatles... I hope I think I know is a catchy song I can't help to sing all day long if it happens that I listen to it, and D'You Know What I Mean touches some of the hardest rock moment Oasis experienced... there are more good, it's a very listenable one. As for the pressie attack, well, I admit it's nothing like the two previous masterpiece, who really didn't have nothing to throw, so I guess they wanted to put down Oasis, whose declaration are always over the top

As for the new LP, which I haven't already had the occasion to buy, I have heard it contains wonderful songs written by Liam too... he may have grown! .. One of them, called Born On A Different Cloud, all who have heard that told me it's John 100%... I can't wait listen to it, really! And yes, seems their pop is coming back again - we'll see if Americans'll be able to appreciate, eheh

------------------
- Paul McCartney, 1982
Old Jul 06, 2002, 04:17 AM   #14
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy

Liam is looking very sexy at the moment...he has that cute hair back. I saw him on TV on a news report all about their concerts that are on here right now...I wish so much I had the money to see them! It has been far too long! I think they are fantastic live.

------------------
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 06, 2002, 02:04 PM   #18
Amalthea
Old Brown Shoe

I'm lost here...

------------------
- Paul McCartney, 1982
Old Jul 06, 2002, 02:18 PM   #19

i don´t see their arrogance and scandals as something genuine, that´s all. you can´t deny they´re extremely talented, but i believe they want to be known as anti-stardom at any cost. and because of that they fight in public, they act like that "angry genius complicated personality" but you can see is all fake.
they should be more quiet. is not really amusing to hear a guy say he´s lennon reincarnated. it diminishes the value of their music....

------------------
The Love You Take Is Equal To The Love You Make
Old Jul 06, 2002, 02:28 PM   #20
MaccaLennonGirl
Wild Honey Pie

YAY OASIS! I just learned how to play "Don't Look Back in Anger" a few days ago.

Liam's voice is sexy!

------------------
::yanks on hair:: YEEOWW! No, I don't think so.

All You Need is Beatles
MaccaLennonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote