BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > I Read The News Today

Closed Thread

Old Aug 19, 2002, 08:47 PM   #1
Battleofthebandsvet
Fool On The Hill

Default Chicago\'s fest

Anybody else feel a little let down? Had a hard time feeling the love this year. Overpriced tickets,alot of attitude from some new festers. And a general feeling of do what we tell you or your gone from the Lapidos organazation. Past years we've been able too joke around with security and in fact I've partyed with quite a few when they got off the clock. None of that this year. We pride ourselves here in Chicago on a loud/funfilled fest. Where everyone is excepted. You could be a 13yr boy with green hair and sit down and jam and be friends with a 50yr old stock trader. It's all good at fest when your a fan. But something was missing this year. At least for me. Maybe it was the anti-smoking nazis. Which turned the front of the hotel into a london fog and for the 1st time i saw argueing. I dont know. Just seemed too be very "Unaccepting" this year. Jam sessions seem too be turning more and more into check us out and vote for us sessions. I've never been too the other fests, so I dont know if this is a normal thing out there in NY or LA (or Boston now).
But I know this. The regulars were the same. The after hours room partys,as always cool. And saddly, the fest feeling came out only when it closed every night for me and my group of roamin beatlefreaks.
Well, "All you need is love."
(Or is it cash and a P.C. mind now?)
Old Aug 19, 2002, 10:02 PM   #2
Jerry
Webmaster Of BeatleLinks

Send a message via AIM to Jerry
Default Re: Chicago\'s fest

I've been reading a lot about Beatlefest on the forum over the years, and I think it's time I put in my two centavos.

I went to the LA Beatlefest from 1986 through 1999 or so. Even though the event seemed to get smaller over the years, I completely enjoyed myself every time. Think about it...if you're a Beatles fan, you can't possibly go to one of those things and not find something that makes your day.

A lot of people make remarks about how Mark Lapidos cares only about money and this and that. Well, put yourself in his shoes. Do you have any idea how much cash (that's his own personal money) it must take to put on an event like this? Not to mention the countless hours and hours of planning. Face it, it's a business. Yeah, he's a Beatles fan, but his career is his business. He needs to make money just like all of us. Do you think the cost of staging these events stays the same over 25 or 30 years?

Some of you have had bad personal experiences at the conventions, and even with Mark himself. But I've met and exchanged e-mails with Mark a few times, and he's always been very nice.

And if you go to the Beatlefest site, you can see that he basically links directly to my site from his "Links" section. This alone has directed thousands and thousands of users to my site, so I will always appreciate that.

I don't know, I just get the feeling that the only things people bother to say about Mark and the conventions are completely negative. I feel totally the other way, even if there hasn't been an LA fest for a few years. So what if you didn't "feel the love" during a jam session. What about the postive things that really mean something?

He provides a place for Beatles fans to come together and celebrate everything about the band. He provides forums for worthwhile causes. He donates a ton of cash to charities. I could go on and on if I wanted to, but I think you get the point.

If you don't like Beatlefest so much, go start a Beatles convention yourself and see what it takes to do what this guy does day after day. Just my two sense...

------------------
Fearless Leader - BeatleLinks.net
Old Aug 20, 2002, 03:56 AM   #3
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Though Jerry made some valid points, I'd have to say I agree with the first poster (welcome, by the way) for the most part. I thought the security staff was INSANE this year....they kept shouting "WRISTBAND!!!!" in these nasty voices at everyone...and you had to show your wristband to get into the downstairs activities, which was fine, but then inside that checkpoint, they'd check you again if you went into the art contest! Eesh!

I think that one of the main problems with Beatlefest is the same problem that's rampant in American society these days - the fear of being sued. They can't show movies because they might get sued. They can't show any rare videos because they might get sued. They can't hire a popular band because they might get sued. They can't sell any interesting merchandise because...well, you know. I think Mark is up to his eyeballs in potential lawsuits and that's why the activities are, well, pretty lame.

The only thing I disagree with is the smoking issue, botbv. It's a hotel policy and a lot of people are sensitive/allergic, so I don't see anything wrong with having to take the ciggies outside. Particularly since a lot of people are trying to quit in George's memory.

But for me, Beatlefest has never been about the activities anyway, it's about hanging out with friends who share a common interest, and in that respect, it was a success.

------------------
I go back so far, I'm in front of me...
Old Aug 20, 2002, 05:10 AM   #4
Lynner

I think the three posts before mine raise some interesting points. I agree with some, but not all of them.
I met some first time attendees and found them to be very nice.
I appreceate all that Mark tries to do and certainly could not do a better job, but after 25+ years, he should be able to work some more of the kinks out, or if he can't, it would be nice if he could tell us some of the reasons why things can't be done (for ex. the not showing of films in the ballroom). I would think we would be understanding and it would stop some vicious rumors.
Overall, I had fun at fest. I've attended all of the ones in Chicago and have always had a good time. I give Mark credit for providing us a place to get together.

------------------
Old Aug 20, 2002, 09:37 AM   #5
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

I had a WONDERFUL time in Chicago this weekend. For me, it was the BEST BEATLEFEST I ever attended.

As a nonsmoker, I personally applaud the hotel's no-smoking policy. I especially salute this policy because of George. It seems especially poignant and a propos in light of George, I think.

I had good service; the room cost me less for three nights than I originally thought it would; everybody I encountered was friendly and pleasant; I had a ball singing under the stairs (my favorite spot for the sing-a-longs) and, Sunday night on the upper lounge. The setting was very pleasant and again, I had a ball. I was able to joke with staff, got people singing Beatle songs while waiting on line to check in and had a great time just being there. It felt so good to just dance up a storm pretty much the whole weekend. I had such a ball. It was a treat getting to meet fellow linkers and again, I don't know when I had so much fun.

On the plus side, it was easier to get to things I wanted to see and do and it was so cool having fellow linkers and friends to share the experience with and who really made it all worthwhile.

Funny - nobody yelled "WRISTBAND" at me. Every time I had to go into a "restricted" area (meaning restricted access unless you had your wristband showing), the folks smiled and waved me through.

Meeting fellow linkers was a bonus treat. Talk about a delightful group of people!

It was a shame about not showing the rare videos. I really miss that, although I do understand this from a legal aspect. (Good thing we have eBay). However, I LOVE watching Beatle movies and videos with a like minded audience. I think everybody here knows that watching a Beatle film is definitely an interactive experience. You don't just sit quietly like you do at other movies. You jump up and down, scream for your Beatle or Beatles of choice, scream for them all, sing along and say the lines along with the Beatles and others because you know the movies inside out. You dance in the aisle provided you aren't blocking anybody's view - that is why the aisle is ideal for dancing in. You shake it in your seat, toss your hair and cheer with all your heart. Watching a Beatle film with a likeminded audience who is doing the same thing just adds to the fun.

I am sorry that people have raised concerns and objections about the convention -- I just wish it could have been as wonderful for everyone else as it was for me.

Hats off to Sandra & Susan & Jim and others on the fan fic panel and the poetry reading at Rooftop Sessions. ImaginePeace78 had some good contributions there and the links among linkers really made it all the more meaningful and wonderful for me.

I'm going back to the Chicago fest next year. I'll be there, yeah, yeah, yeah!

------------------
Then we will remember things we said today. Yeah.
-- Beatles, 1964

Read www.rooftopsessions.com for high caliber Beatles fan fiction.

BB1964

[This Message Has Been Edited By beatlebangs1964 On August 20, 2002 10:43 AM]

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Jul 12, 2005 at 06:42 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2002, 12:08 PM   #6
Rellevart

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By beatlebangs1964:
Funny - nobody yelled "WRISTBAND" at me. Every time I had to go into a "restricted" area (meaning restricted access unless you had your wristband showing), the folks smiled and waved me through.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just my luck then that I ran into all the crabby security people....

------------------
Old Aug 20, 2002, 12:37 PM   #7
Battleofthebandsvet
Fool On The Hill

Ok, this is my 3rd attempt at replying lol. Forgive me plz, I am, on ocasion, a doofus.

1st off, thanks for the welcome. Very relived too see I wasnt flamed for offering critique that isnt exactly positive.

I agree that Mark is more than justified too make a profit for his efforts. As far as starting my own fest though... It's been done by others, and squashed by the weight of legal action after action. (Remember Kansas City and the fest that never was in Atlanta?)And it's no secret who was behind that. My point was more about the folks he has hired than an Anti-Mark thingie. I am very glad too hear that some did not experiance the same feeling of oppression that we felt. Makes me think it's all just an unfortunate set of incidences. And not a new trend in thought with the powers that be.

I too come to fest for the ppl,it's always been a gathering of the tribe/comunal thing for me. And while I was dissapointed with quite a few things. The friendships and feeling of family were, and always are the saving graces of the gathering.

On to the points... The movies I think, (not sure.) Have been moved around or jumbled up more in way of mixing things up rather than a licencing concern. Based on conversations this past weekend with vendors in the marketplace. The organazation has always required that the propper licencing/mechandising agreements be in order. Thus the reason some vendors are there one year and gone the next. I can only assume that the beatlefest organizers hold themselves too the same standard.
Now on too my personal pet peeve lol.
The Hyatt has always been and in fact still is a smoking hotel. Evedenced by the amount of ashtrays scattered in the DESIGNATED smoking areas. And from personal knowledge. (I go there a few times a year for other occasions.) True that some have allergies/sensitivitys to smoke. And others, (including myself), are trying too quit. The policy this year was one of beatlefest. Not the Hyatt. In a conversation with a maniger. I was told they pulled the ashtrays from the restraunts and other places for the fest organizers. Not as a hotel policy. And to be technical about it. The lobby/foutain/halls are not beatlefest and not subect to the same rules/restrictions of say the ballrooms or flea market. My only exception to my own agument is under the stairs. It's rude and a fire hazard to smoke down there lol. It's too tight as it is. Polite requests have almost always been honored by myself and those I run with in the past. But the extream and exagerated reactions by folks this year was a constant source of anger AND amusement. And honestly, served only as another excuse too light up and watch the fireworks.

Well. hehe. let the fireworks begin.
P.S. We can debate this all year lol.But feel free to come up too me next fest for a beer always have the blue Miller lite cooler on my back and I belive in sharing.

------------------
Old Aug 20, 2002, 01:06 PM   #8
Magill
Sun King

Maybe they'll put one on here in LA again before I croak, eh? Perhaps when were 64, huh Dave?

------------------
"So, it was you buzzin'..you NAUGHTY BOY!"
Old Aug 20, 2002, 04:16 PM   #9
Hari's Chick

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By Battleofthebandsvet:
. The policy this year was one of beatlefest. Not the Hyatt. In a conversation with a maniger. I was told they pulled the ashtrays from the restraunts and other places for the fest organizers.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it was nice for Mark to be sensitive in this way. As a George fan, it would be weird & ironic to have smoking at Fest. Even better would be to have Cancer Societies there to distribute info/do collections.

------------------
"George was the kind of guy who wasn't going to leave until he hugged you for five minutes and told you how much he loved you." ~ Tom Petty
Old Aug 20, 2002, 05:01 PM   #10
jtal909
Sun King

My band has gotten into 2 battle of the beatlefest bands and I've spoken to Mark on the phone a few times getting registered and he was a total gentleman even with my dumb questions that he's probably heard a few thousand times before. Thanks, Mark.

------------------
"Why don't you say it in your famous James Mason impersonation?" www.billyshearsband.com
Old Aug 20, 2002, 05:02 PM   #11
Sgt.McCartney
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to Sgt.McCartney

Gee, all of you people make me want to go soo bad, but I can't...

------------------
Greg: Remember when you're drunk, drive really fast. And take breath mints, it fools the cops!
-"Whose Line Is It Anyway"?
Old Aug 20, 2002, 05:09 PM   #12
st.paulygirl
Nowhere Man

I had a great time at Chicago's Beatlefest; although this was the first year I had to show my wristband (twice, and once WAS just outside the art room). I smoke, but I have to admit it doesn't look very nice having a cloud of smoke hovering over the main entrance. I missed seeing the usual line-up of movies, although the showing of A Hard Day's Night was the highlight of my Beatl-ing weekend. The same old feeling of being able to plop down anywhere and sing along was still there which makes for a very relaxed and friendly atmosphere.I think as long as they don't take that away, I'll be attending Beatlefest for many years to come.
As for Mark, without him none of this would be possible and I was just telling my twelve-year-old I hope his kids will want to take over the business when he retires so the fests can be enjoyed for the next generation. I saw alot of kids having a ball which makes me proud to be apart of something as wonderful as being a Beatles fan.
But big-brother might put the kebash on it all eventually, and I think we should enjoy the fests while we still can...
Did anyone see a copy of some renegade newsletter while they were there? (Go To The Window) It was a newsletter aimed at bashing Beatlefest that went a little too far in my book. I saw Mark walking around with a copy in his hand and he looked furious.
If you're reading this Mark, don't let let it bring you down... we love you guys!!!

------------------
Old Aug 20, 2002, 08:19 PM   #13
beatlejes
Rocky Raccoon

Beatlefest is always one of the highlights of my year. This year's was just as great as all the others, in my opinion

my favorite activity has always been the Trivia Game Show, but, as I've posted before, I don't care at all for Wally's hosting it; Joe Johnson did such a great job two years ago and did a great job with the Sound-Alike Tryouts. I'm sorry to keep griping about this; I'll shut up about this now

speaking of the Game Show and the Sound-Alike performances, little Brooke participating in both stole my heart; it's so great to see the little ones showing how much they're also Beatle fans. When they can answer Beatle questions or sing all the lyrics to Beatle songs, that's just the coolest. It's so cool to see the younger generations keeping the legacy alive

the showing of A HARD DAY'S NIGHT was pretty cool; the picture looked amazing (SO much better than the CD-ROM copy I have). Can't wait til September 24!

it was cool to meet Robert Freeman and Alistair Taylor. Was disappointed that Alistair wouldn't sign my Anthology book; he wouldn't because he's not mentioned in it (I couldn't convince him to sign the copy of the original Apple ad with him as a one-man band). But he was decent about his stand and gladly signed my copy of the Hello Goodbye book

I agree with an earlier post that Alan Parsons performance of his songs seemed out of place, but I gotta say that Liverpool rocked on those tracks. It was cool to see Billy J. Kramer perform, but I got tired of that "I'm In Love" song

overall, I had a great weekend and appreciate all the hard work Mark L. and crew performed (how do I get a job with them?). Just think, only 360-some days til the next one

------------------
peace '_'
Old Aug 20, 2002, 11:46 PM   #14
Battleofthebandsvet
Fool On The Hill

This is a test lol. due too 2 replys being rejected for unregistered user name violations. This is only a test lol.

------------------
Old Aug 21, 2002, 04:48 AM   #15
Lynner

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By st.paulygirl:

Did anyone see a copy of some renegade newsletter while they were there? (Go To The Window) It was a newsletter aimed at bashing Beatlefest that went a little too far in my book.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just an fyi on this one. It's been published for the last five or so years and states that it is a lampoon. I don't think it's aimed as bashing Beatlefest. I guess it's all done in a sense of fun. I try to pick up a copy every year and think it's quite funny. If you did pick up a copy, there's an email address listed where you can send your comments.

------------------
Old Aug 21, 2002, 06:54 AM   #16
beatlebangs1964

I heard about that spoof. I tried to find a copy, but couldn't. It's supposed to be all in fun. Does anybody have an e-mail link for it or can copy it?

Yeah, the sing-a-longs were great. You need those. I heard somebody under the stairs saying on Friday night that who needs therapy when you have Beatlefest instead. On Sunday, there was this EXCELLENT sing-a-long party up on the upper lounge and EVERYBODY who was there had a wonderful time. One reveler danced ON THE COUCH and used the lamp for a drum. Three guitarists, a drummer and a pianist regaled the group with many Beatle songs; it was the best party on Sunday night. Those guys ROCKED -- they call themselves Revolver after a much loved Beatle album/CD and believe me, everybody had a ball.

On the one hand, I was glad there were fewer films being shown because it freed me up to come and go. I didn't feel that I was missing anything that way. There was the media room where some excellent videos were being shown and there was plenty of room in the back for people to dance. That was fun. Of course, you have to have "A Hard Day's Night" and we all know, watching that is interactive. I love being able to watch it with others who understand this -- people who don't look at you oddly if you scream for Paul, start dancing, say the lines along with the cast and sing a long because they're doing pretty much the same thing. In other words, fans who understand that you have to move around and sing with the Beatles when you watch them on the big screen. That was SO MUCH FUN!

I'm coming to Beatlefest in Chicago again. It was all worth it.

------------------
-- Beatles, 1964

BB1964
Old Aug 21, 2002, 07:19 AM   #17
Rellevart

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By beatlebangs1964:
they call themselves Revolver after a much loved Beatle album/CD and believe me, everybody had a ball.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They were good, but only two of those guys were from the band Revolver! Trust me - they're friends of mine! Glad you enjoyed.

------------------
Old Aug 21, 2002, 08:30 AM   #18
Rellevart

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By Lynner:
I don't think it's aimed as bashing Beatlefest. I guess it's all done in a sense of fun. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I agree. I don't think the person/people who put it together mean to bash Beatlefest, but maybe to just tweak it a bit. Everyone has their own level of comfort with that sort of thing though and I can see why some might find it a bit too un-PC.

------------------
Old Aug 21, 2002, 09:12 AM   #19
Lynner

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By Rellevart:
They were good, but only two of those guys were from the band Revolver! Trust me - they're friends of mine! Glad you enjoyed.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Revolver's a great local band. I've only seen them a few times, but love the fact that they don't take themselves too seriously and really seem to enjoy playing Beatle songs.

------------------
Old Aug 21, 2002, 09:18 AM   #20
beatlebangs1964

Those guys ROCKED! I don't know WHEN I've had so much fun! I danced up a storm from about 10:30 on Sunday until after 3:00 a.m. They are an EXCELLENT cover band. I wish I could get them down to my city.

People were really getting into it; one reveler danced on the COUCH and others were shaking it in chairs. A bunch of us (I was in that bunch) really danced up a storm on the floor; those guys were really good!

------------------
-- Beatles, 1964

BB1964
Closed Thread