BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Red Rose Speedway

Old Aug 08, 2010, 09:40 PM   #1
Maggie Mae
Mr. Moonlight

Default Paul McCartney in Toronto - Aug 8 2010

So I just got back from the Air Canada Centre, where Sir Paul put on a three-hour show and knocked my socks off! It was my first time seeing him, and I cried and laughed and cried some more... it was an amazing show. I started off trying to write down the songs he played, but after a while, there was no point -- I was too excited to think!

He did play a lot of Beatles tunes (naturally) and brought out the big guns for "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da", which was the first time he'd played it in Canada (so he says... anyone else know the stats on that?) He played "Mull of Kintyre" with a local pipe band, which was awesome. He performed a lovely tribute to John with "Here Today" and to George with "Something" on the ukelele, and then he also played "Give Peace a Chance" after "A Day in the Life", which was phenomenal (the entire crowd chanting along... it was like being at a peace march!)

The highlight for me was near the end when he singled out a young girl in the crowd with a sign that read "My dad drove me 2000 km to hug a Beatle" and called her up on stage to hug her. He made a few jokes about B.O. and sweaty hugs, but it was a heart-tugging moment that unleashed the water works on my part (for the girl, mostly, but also for the fact that I came 4000 km for the show and if all I needed to do to get a hug from Paul was to make a sign... well... actually, for 4000km, I should have gotten a makeout session, at least!)

Anyway, it was a phenomenal show. The merch was overpriced, but who cares?! It's Paul friggin McCartney!

Still on cloud nine,
Mags

And in the end the love you take
Is equal to the love you make
Maggie Mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2010, 11:26 PM   #2
Loony_leo
Bulldog

Default Wasn't it AMAZING??

HI MAGGIE MAE!!!

I was there too!!! It was also my first time ever at a Paul McCartney concert.

His tributes to John and George were powerful moments indeed, and you could really feel the love he felt for his childhood mates.
Here Today just CHOKED ME UP so much. I've always loved the song, and to hear it live was powerful.

And also when he performed Yesterday and Let It Be, and Hey Jude; songs that were so much a part of my childhood, to get to hear them live, was mind blowing.
Old Aug 09, 2010, 12:19 AM   #3
Beatleboy
Wild Honey Pie

Send a message via AIM to Beatleboy Send a message via MSN to Beatleboy

Oh yeah, Paul does not disappoint. I'm still buzzing from his concert in Salt Lake, last month. It's good to know that he's consistently putting on a hell of a good show, and that nobody walks away disappointed. I'm still amazed that he can perform for three hours straight without even so much as a water break.

Although I'm kinda surprised that he pulled "Mull Of Kintyre" out of his bag of tricks. I guess he figured that it might go over the heads of most Americans, since I don't believe any of stateside shows have included that number.

Anyhoo, I'm glad you two had a wonderful time at the show. Believe me, you'll be buzzing about the show for ages to come. Thanks for for sharing your experiences with the rest of us.

Yeah, I can play the guitar. I know all about virtuosos, and trembalos, and arpeggios. I can do it all! -Strong Bad

Last edited by Beatleboy : Aug 09, 2010 at 12:30 AM.
Beatleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2010, 05:10 AM   #4
Daisy Chain Clouds
Little Child

I saw Paul in Toronto in 2002 and it was amazing...I'm sure it was the same local pipe band I saw him with, I was a wreck during Mull of Kintyre. I'm glad you had a great time - it was a life changing experience!
Daisy Chain Clouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2010, 06:05 AM   #5
wildh0neypie
Fool On The Hill

Thumbs up

I've seen him twice. The first time was in Madrid in 2004, and then last december I went to London with my father (who has seen him 4 times) to see him again, a concert of his tour "Good evening Europe" and... what can I say? I especially enjoyed the last one, and I cried so much, it was so moving when he played "Something" with the ukelele first and then with all his band...

Simply STUNNING!!
Old Aug 09, 2010, 08:08 AM   #6
Loony_leo
Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatleboy View Post
Oh yeah, Paul does not disappoint. I'm still buzzing from his concert in Salt Lake, last month. It's good to know that he's consistently putting on a hell of a good show, and that nobody walks away disappointed. I'm still amazed that he can perform for three hours straight without even so much as a water break.

Although I'm kinda surprised that he pulled "Mull Of Kintyre" out of his bag of tricks. I guess he figured that it might go over the heads of most Americans, since I don't believe any of stateside shows have included that number.

I know!! I saw Peter Frampton w/ my parents and that guy was drinking ALOT durring his two hour show. Paul didn't even take a sip of anything!! AMAZING.

I was pretty surprised with Mull of Kintyre, but I think it's because Canada has a lot of historical ties to Scotland....
Old Aug 11, 2010, 12:16 AM   #7
Maggie Mae
Mr. Moonlight

That's what I figured about "Kintyre" but I wasn't 100% sure. He played it in Quebec City in 2008 if I'm not mistaken... which was a bit strange, maybe, since he was playing in that free concert to celebrate the 400th birthday of the city... on the Plains of Abraham where Wolfe's English army slaughtered Montcalm's French army in 1775... hmm...

But it was a great show and I'm definitely still buzzing. "Here Today" gets me every time I listen to it on CD or whatever, so hearing it live was stunning. My husband even choked up, and he never cries! When the show ended I had to sit there and cry for a little while because I was too emotional to move.

Definitely worth the $200 we each paid for our tickets!!! I would go see him again in a heartbeat no matter where he was playing. Phenomenal.

Old Aug 11, 2010, 04:28 AM   #8
JudithKristen
Wild Honey Pie

When I see what tickets are these days... it's a trip.
$200.00 each... OH, for 1964 prices once again.

I saw The Beatles 9 times in person and it didn't even cost me $75.00
(all together) and two of those times I paid "extra" to an agency for better seats. :)

Those were the daze my friends. :)
JudithKristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2010, 08:48 PM   #9
Maggie Mae
Mr. Moonlight

You said it, JudithKristen. Having said that, I would pay double that to see Paul again... he puts on an awesome show and I think you definitely get your money's worth. :) But still...

(And my gosh, aren't you lucky to have seen them NINE TIMES!!! Wow... jealous here! lol)

Old Aug 16, 2010, 08:27 PM   #10
DizzymissLizzy909
Sun King

I'm SO glad to hear you had such a fantastic time. I'm sure it was a great decision to extend your trip a bit to squeeze Paul in - I bet he was the height of your vacation!
I have NEVER heard anything but absolute astonishment about a Paul McCartney concert. Even at 68 he's a star
Old Aug 17, 2010, 08:05 AM   #11
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

It's impossible to have anything BUT a good time at a Paul McCartney concert! The man is not only brilliant; extraordinarily talented, but he is just plain fun!

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote