BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Other Forums > Not Only A Northern Song

Old Sep 01, 2001, 05:41 PM   #1

Default World Cup qualifiers & other results...

I posted these score updates earlier as the matches progressed, however they seem to have disappeared somewhere, but anyway... now that all games are complete full updates can be done. I noticed darkhorse posted on this in the FIFA topic but this one probably deserves a fresh topic of its own, so feel free to comment afterwards.

WC 2002 qualifiers...

Europe (Group 1)

Faroe Islands 1-0 Luxembourg (0-0)
Slovenia 2-1 Russia (0-0)
Switzerland 1-2 Yugoslavia (1-1)

The last two games here were absolutely crucial, Yugoslavia keep their qualifying hopes alive and Russia lose their first competitive match since 1998 thanks to a last minute Slovenian penalty to fall back into the group, now only 2 points ahead of Slovenia and 3 ahead of Yugoslavia. Next 2 games will be absolutely vital to decide who tops the group and gains automatic qualification, and who will go into the 2nd place play-off.

Europe (Group 2)

Republic of Ireland 1-0 Holland (0-0)
Andorra 1-7 Portugal (1-5)

Terrible result for Holland, they will now almost certainly miss out on a 2nd place play-off spot and a place in next year's World Cup altogether. Rep of Ireland won the match playing most of the second half with only 10 men. Portugal's thumping of Andorra virtually guarantees them of a top-two finish alongide the Rep of Ireland.

Europe (Group 3)

Iceland 3-1 Czech Republic (1-0)
Denmark 1-1 Northern Ireland (1-0)
Malta 0-2 Bulgaria (0-0)

Absolute shock-result in the first game here which now sees Czech Republic slip to 3rd in the group behind Bulgaria and Denmark, and now have Iceland only 1 point behind them as well. Crucial next game in just 4 days time will see Bulgaria fight it out for top spot against Denmark, with any of these 4 teams still capable of getting through.

Europe (Group 4)

Moldova 2-0 Azerbaijan (1-0)
Slovakia 0-1 Turkey (0-1)
FYR of Macedonia 1-2 Sweden (0-2)

The vital game here was the second one, Turkey has snuck home despite a missed penalty with the win now assuring them of a top 2 finish and ending Slovakia's hopes of a first World Cup appearance. Sweden consolidated their position as leaders of the group (by 2 points) and will now battle it out with the Turks when the two teams meet in a few days' time to see who can clinch that all-important first spot & gain automatic qualification.

Europe (Group 5)

Wales 0-0 Armenia
Poland 3-0 Norway (1-0)
Belarus 0-2 Ukraine (0-1)

Congratulations to Poland who have booked a place in next year's World Cup with a great win over Norway, the first time they've qualified in 16 years. Norway, unbelievably, has not won a single game in qualifying and will not be going anywhere. Ukraine with that very important win now jumps ahead of Belarus and looks more likely to be England or Germany's opponent in the play-offs, but it will be a very tight battle with only a couple of games to go.

Europe (Group 6)

Scotland 0-0 Croatia

Crucial game here that both teams really needed to win, now sees them locked together on 12 points, 2 behind leaders Belgium. With just 2 qualifying games to go, any one of these three could still top the group, one of them unfortunately has to miss out on a play-off spot.

Europe (Group 7)

Bosnia-Herzegovina 0-0 Israel
Spain 4-0 Austria (1-0)

With a comfortable win over Austria, Spain joins Poland and France as the only European teams to have confirmed their spot in next year's World Cup. Israel have kept their hopes alive with a draw against Bosnia, with second spot to be now determined by their last round clash with the Austrians.

Europe (Group 8)

Georgia 3-1 Hungary (1-1)
Lithuania 0-0 Italy

Italy will have to wait another week to see if they can qualify automatically as top of the group after wasting their opportunity against gutsy little Lithuania. Hungary's loss just about ends their run, they still trail 2nd-placed Romania by 4 points and must beat them in the next game to have any chance at all of progressing.

Europe (Group 9)

Albania 0-2 Finland (0-0)
Germany 1-5 England (1-2)

Well, who would have thought England would win so convincingly aginst Germany after the Germans went 1 up after only 5 mins in their match. This blows the group open and sees England just 3 points behind Germany, but with a vital game in hand. Any slip-ups by the English though will see Finland right on their tails, however England should hang on to a top 2 finish.

CONCACAF

United States 2-3 Honduras (1-1)
Trinidad & Tobago 0-2 Costa Rica

Bad result for the US in this danger game for them, they now stay in 2nd spot 3 points behind leaders Costa Rica. Honduras are on their back too now, only 2 points adrift. Mexico is down and just about out in this group with a must-win game against Jamaica to come. The first 3 in this group will go through.

Friendlies

Latvia-Australia (result coming soon)
Chile 2-1 France (1-0)

What a wonderul result for Chile after all the problems they'ver had recently and a fitting way for Ivan Zamorano to wrap up his international career. See darkhorse, I told you they'd give France a good run for their money.

------------------
Old Sep 01, 2001, 06:43 PM   #2
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

Default Re: World Cup qualifiers & other results...

Horray for the English!

------------------
Containing EVERY clue ever found about this conspiracy, Paul is Dead - The Conclusive Evidence will change your mind about this bizarre coverup.

Do you have a copy of 'Introducing the Beatles'? Do you know whether it's a fake or an original? If not, CLICK HERE! for all the information you need!

Harb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 01, 2001, 07:14 PM   #3
darkhorse
Sun King

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By Nowhere Man:
See darkhorse, I told you they'd give France a good run for their money. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm so happy.

Good luck to Australia, Yugoslavia, Holland and England in their way to the 2002 World Cup. Harb, did you watch the game? Owen is just an amazing player... I enjoyed that game as much as Chile's victory against France.

------------------
"A mind that wants to wander 'round a corner
Is an unwise mind"
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 01, 2001, 07:25 PM   #4
Tim
Sgt. Pepper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By Nowhere Man:
CONCACAF

United States 2-3 Honduras (1-1)
Trinidad & Tobago 0-2 Costa Rica

Bad result for the US in this danger game for them, they now stay in 2nd spot 3 points behind leaders Costa Rica. Honduras are on their back too now, only 2 points adrift. Mexico is down and just about out in this group with a must-win game against Jamaica to come. The first 3 in this group will go through.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At least England won,and Montoya on pole for Spa

------------------
Tim

Tim Brent's Yellow Submarine Page
The Beatles' Record Advertisements
The Beatles' Record Covers Yahoo! Club
The Decca Auditions
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 02, 2001, 08:31 AM   #6
Tim
Sgt. Pepper

It should be noted this is the first time Germany has lost at the Olympiastadion Munchen.(Munich Olympic Stadium)

------------------
Tim

Tim Brent's Yellow Submarine Page
The Beatles' Record Advertisements
The Beatles' Record Covers Yahoo! Club
The Decca Auditions
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 02, 2001, 09:22 AM   #8
darkhorse
Sun King

England must be one of the greatest european teams by now. And Germany... hmmm... they've been going down since last World Cup (horrible performance)...

------------------
Is an unwise mind"
Old Sep 02, 2001, 09:35 AM   #9

It's hard to say, really. I mean, just a couple of weeks ago they were thoroughly hammered by Holland, and they lost previously to Germany... and now look where Holland are also, it doesn't look like they'll qualify, so everything seems to be a little topsy-turvy.

England will probably draw with Albania in the next match just to further confuse things!

------------------
Old Sep 02, 2001, 09:57 AM   #10
darkhorse
Sun King

Nah... I think England will be on next World Cup without any troubles. I have serious doubts about Holland, the USA and Australia, though (sorry to all concerned... )

And Chile is so not going... *sigh*

------------------
Is an unwise mind"
Old Sep 03, 2001, 07:35 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By darkhorse:
I have serious doubts about Holland, the USA and Australia, though (sorry to all concerned... )
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What, you think we can't beat Brazil? (Refer Confederations Cup).

------------------
Old Sep 03, 2001, 09:01 AM   #12
darkhorse
Sun King

I seriously doubt it. But we'll see.

------------------
Is an unwise mind"
Old Sep 05, 2001, 09:26 AM   #13

Latest CONMEBOL results from 04 Sep 2001...

Peru 0-2 Uruguay (0:2)

Chile 0-2 Venezuela (0:0)

Vital win for Uruguay in the first game here, now sees them level on 24 points with Brazil and only behind on goal difference. Brazil faces group leaders Argentina today, who have already booked their place in next year's World Cup. A loss for the Samba Kings will put a lot of pressure on them, it's clearly going to be a race between Brazil and Uruguay for the important 4th place, and whoever misses out will have to face the mighty Aussies.

Unfortunately for Chile (and our good friend darkhorse) they have been hammered back down to earth after beating World Champions France one week, then being humiliated by lowly Venezuela the next. What's worse for them is that now they are only 1 point ahead of Venezuela, with both teams lying in the bottom of the group. The only good thing I guess is that things really can't get much worse for them right now, so it can only get better from here. There will be hope for the future I'm sure.

------------------
Old Sep 05, 2001, 09:33 AM   #14

Today's crucial qualifying games, 05 Sep 2001...

UEFA
England v Albania

Finland v Greece

Yugoslavia v Slovenia

Luxembourg v Switzerland

Faroe Islands v Russia

Netherlands v Estonia

Cyprus v Portugal

Czech Republic v Malta

Bulgaria v Denmark

Northern Ireland v Iceland

Turkey v Sweden

Slovakia v Moldova

Azerbaijan v Macedonia FYR

Ukraine v Armenia

Belarus v Poland

Norway v Wales

San Marino v Croatia

Belgium v Scotland

Liechtenstein v Spain

Austria v Bosnia-Herzegovina

Georgia v Lithuania

Hungary v Romania

CONMEBOL
Colombia v Ecuador

Paraguay v Bolivia

Argentina v Brazil

CONCACAF
Costa Rica v United States

Honduras v Jamaica

Mexico v Trinidad and Tobago

------------------
Old Sep 05, 2001, 01:51 PM   #15
darkhorse
Sun King

Unfortunately for Chile (and our good friend darkhorse) they have been hammered back down to earth after beating World Champions France one week, then being humiliated by lowly Venezuela the next. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, I can say, sort of politely, that we (all the chilean people that watched the game on TV), participated in the darkest night of the history of chilean soccer. Our Soccer Federation is 106 years old, and I don't think there has ever been such a humiliation like this... How do I put this... OK, to incentivate people in order to go to the Estadio Nacional, the offer was "3x1" (you bought 1 ticket and they gave you 3 for the same price)... a decent quantity of people (40,000 aprox) showed up and started cheering up the mood, even with the horrible selection we have and with the horrible rival we had...

That just helped to see how low we have reached. Venezuela was (and is) a mediocre team, with no good players (sorry, but it's true), and yet they had no problems in breaking our defenses and converting their attacks into goals most times. Then people obviously lost their pacience and started complaining... and then the players got desperated and it could easily have been a 0-4 or a 0-5 against us...

The lack of auto-criticism (I don't even know if that's a real word ) is what still has us where we are. Garcia, the outgoing (thanks God) coach, said he had accomplished a great work in the National Team (what!?!?!). I almost cried when I watched the game last night, and nobody wanted to get up the very next morning, as no-one could believe it. Venezuela hadn't even gotten one single point as a visitor in the history of the World Cup Qualifying since 1965... And now they come with a mediocre team and beat us...

The comentators, during the game, said things like "I wanna die" or "I can't believe what my eyes are seeing", or "this is a humiliation"... Then there weren't words left to say... So they closed the transmision with "we have nothing to say right now - nothing that can be said on TV, that is... good night and sorry for having brought you the most horrible night in the history of our soccer."

I sincerely wish that none of your national teams (the USA, Holland, Yugoslavia, Australia, England, etc.), will pass through these horrible times. As Nowhere Man said, though, nothing can be worse than this. Even if we lose 0-7 against Brazil in Curitiba on the next game, that would still be OK. I mean, losing with Venezuela in Santiago is simply the worst thing ever.

------------------
Is an unwise mind"
Old Sep 05, 2001, 03:05 PM   #16

Yes, it is quite a shame really. And I don't know why Garcia was treated like some sort of out-going hero?! He did very little in my opinion, like you said. In all fairness, he probably deserved to go out in this way (not to be harsh on the players). Again, I'm sure things will change soon for the better. Looks like you will have a few new faces coming into the team too with Salas & Zamarano on the way out. That's pretty big shoes to fill, but the sooner these new players get some experience playing in the team the better. They can now use this 4 year period leading into the next World Cup qualifications to re-build from scratch and to become a force in South American & world soccer once again.

------------------
Old Sep 05, 2001, 03:08 PM   #17

UEFA - latest results...

England v Albania 2:0 (1:0)

Finland v Greece 5:1 (4:1)

Yugoslavia v Slovenia 1:1 (0:1)

Luxembourg v Switzerland 0:3 (0:1)

Faroe Islands v Russia 0:3 (0:2)

Netherlands v Estonia 5:0 (5:0)

Cyprus v Portugal 1:3 (1:0)

Czech Republic v Malta 3:2 (2:1)

Bulgaria v Denmark 0:2 (0:0)

Northern Ireland v Iceland 3:0 (0:0)

Turkey v Sweden 1:2 (0:0)

Slovakia v Moldova 4:2 (0:1)

Azerbaijan v Macedonia FYR 1:1 (0:1)

Ukraine v Armenia 3:0 (1:0)

Belarus v Poland 4:1 (1:0)

Norway v Wales 3:2 (1:2)

San Marino v Croatia 0:4 (0:1)

Belgium v Scotland 2:0 (1:0)

Liechtenstein v Spain 0:2 (0:1)

Austria v Bosnia-Herzegovina 2:0 (1:0)

Georgia v Lithuania 2:0 (0:0)

Hungary v Romania 0:2 (0:2)

I'm too depressed to write up an analysis right now so maybe later.

------------------
Old Sep 05, 2001, 03:14 PM   #18
darkhorse
Sun King

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By Nowhere Man
Looks like you will have a few new faces coming into the team too with Salas & Zamarano on the way out<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well Zamorano is totally out... he wasn't being a "plus" anymore in our national team, so it's alright. As for Salas, I think he still can be helpful, as he started very well his season in his new italian club, AS Juventus. He's my favorite player and I totally trust in what he and some others from this bunch (Pablo Contreras, Pablo Galdames, goalkeeper Sergio Vargas, Clarence Acuña from Newcastle United, David Pizarro from Udinese, etc) can do in order to re-built this mess.

And totally agree about Garcia. Not only he did "very little". He only helped to convert a very bad performance into a national humiliation (talking in a "sports" level, that is... nothing of our Nation's dignity has been taken after all as some chileans might think today) and a bad-organized team into the worst team of the history of Chilean Soccer...

Well I feel a huge relief now.

------------------
Is an unwise mind"

[This Message Has Been Edited By darkhorse On September 05, 2001 03:15 PM]
Old Sep 05, 2001, 03:34 PM   #20
darkhorse
Sun King

Some things surprise me about the UEFA Qualifying... I'll talk:

Group 1. Russia's almost there... they just have to beat Switzerland (in Moscow I suppose)... and then the battle will be for the second place, and if so... Yugoslavia lost lots of chances today not beating Slovenia. Both have easy games as local teams (Luxemburg and Faroe Islands), but Slovenia is a point ahead of Yugoslavia... What happened here, NWM? This should be the first time Slovenia goes to a WC, and one of the few that Yugoslavia misses... They're always a good team, "the brazilians of Europe". Hope something good can come out of it, although I don't think so.

Group 2. Is Holland totally eliminated? From what I see in the FIFA website, it seems so. Yet another great time that won't go, but we'll have Portugal (with Figo and all his court ) to replace them. A World Cup without Holland? Hmmm... Hard to think about it. Great team that's, apparently, not going. Sorry FPSHOT, but think about this: you can't be worse than Chile

Group 5. While the first place is for Poland, the second spot will be a battle between Belarus and Ukraine. Any of those that win, will be a first-time World Cup finalist. Good for them. (I know a couple of players from Ukraine, is anybody familiarized with any player from Belarus???)

Group 6. Huge battle between three great times! This will be exciting! Croatia v Belgium (in Zagreb, I suppose) will be the key-game here. If Croatia wins, they'll be on next World Cup (and hopefully they'll manage to reach high, like they did in France '98), and Belgium will have to stay with the second place and go to the play-offs. If not, Scotland could say some word there, if they win their game in Glasgow against Latvia... Hmmm...

Group 7. What if Israel beats Austria? They'll be going to the play-offs and they're not even an european team!!! It'd be interesting to see the Israel national team in the World Cup, although, again... I don't think so...

Group 8. FORZA ITALIA! My favorite european team, mostly for the ancestors thingie... We're almost there. If there's not Chile, there's always Italy.

South American Group. Lots of things will be decided today, although we still have three tortures (sorry, matches) to play. Argentina v Brazil will be a great game for sure. If Brazil loses, they will stay in the 5º place... and if that stays that way after the whole thing has ended... they will play their option against Australia!!!

Oh my God. I hate Pedro Garcia.

------------------
Is an unwise mind"

[This Message Has Been Edited By darkhorse On September 05, 2001 03:35 PM]