BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Sep 01, 2002, 12:32 AM   #1
PinballWizard2001
Nowhere Man

Default Lost Weekend

Is there a book or a website that goes into detail about John's activities during the Lost Weekend? And one other thing I never seem to have heard about (or maybe I did and it slips my mind) is why John and Yoko slip up for that time, would anyone happen to know why?

------------------
PinballWizard2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 01, 2002, 05:19 AM   #2
L'Angelo Misterioso
Bulldog

Default Re: Lost Weekend

I've got this book called "Loving John" by May Pang that goes through the whole "lost weekend" and before and after that too. There's a number of interesting details about John's life around that perioid.

I don't know any website though.

------------------
Past is gone, thou canst not that recall
Future is not, may not be at all
Present is, improve the flying hour
Present only is within thy power.
L'Angelo Misterioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 01, 2002, 09:41 AM   #3
angelgodiva
Bulldog

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">Quote:</font><HR>Originally Posted By PinballWizard2001:
Is there a book or a website that goes into detail about John's activities during the Lost Weekend? And one other thing I never seem to have heard about (or maybe I did and it slips my mind) is why John and Yoko slip up for that time, would anyone happen to know why?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would think that May Pang's book would be the best one on the subject, since she was living with John at the time--it is currently out of print, but you can probably find it at the library or get a copy on Ebay.
The reason the whole thing happened in the first place is that John was messing around, and Yoko found out and showed him the door. (Note:At the time, it was NOT May that he was fooling around with.)
It has also been said that Yoko wanted to see other people, but I don't know if that was true; John never mentioned it, I don't know who did--I do remember reading it somewhere, though.
I haven't actually read May's book yet, but I found a copy on Ebay and am waiting for it to be delivered. Since she really loved John, though, I am sure her account will be accurate. I did read a couple of excerpts somewhere, and they were well written.

------------------
PEACE ON YA!
angelgodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 01, 2002, 11:33 AM   #4
PinballWizard2001
Nowhere Man

Thanks to both of you. I'll try to find a copy of May Pang's book.

------------------
Old Sep 01, 2002, 02:13 PM   #5
bearkat77
Administrator

May Pang's book, "Loving John" is probably the definitive book to have if you want to know about the Lost Weekend. I do have a copy of "John Lennon: 'The Lost Weekend' Living, Loving And Making Rock & Roll" in paperback. It's written by May Pang and Henry Edwards. This one came out in 1983 and has an epilogue by May added that she wrote in 1992. Both of these books will give you probably everything you'd want to know.

------------------

Bearkat77's Beatlemaniac Page
Bearkat77's Tribute to John Lennon
Bearkat77's Tribute to Ringo Starr
bearkat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 01, 2002, 03:34 PM   #6
HMVNipper
Sun King

Send a message via AIM to HMVNipper

May's book is very well done, seems very genuine to me. I think she's a class act, she could have really done a number on John, but I think she genuinely loved him and it shows.

That's probably the best book around on that period of John's life.

------------------
Rooftop Sessions - The Finest In Beatles-Related Fiction. September 2002 Issue Now Up!

"In writing, the difference between the right word and almost the right word is like the difference between lightning and lightning bugs." - Mark Twain
HMVNipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 01, 2002, 03:52 PM   #7
PinballWizard2001
Nowhere Man

Thanks everyone.

It kinda sucks, the bookstores here don't have a lot of books on the Beatles (it seems I've bought them all). Usually they just have some stupid Geoffrey Guiliano or whatever books. I always try to hide those in another section.

It seems a lot of the books I'd like to read are out of print(another being Pete Shotton's book "John Lennon: In My Life").

I do know a little about the Lost Weekend. I know John hung out (got drunk) with Ringo, Keith Moon, Harry Nilson and Phil Spector, that he was recording "Rock and Roll", and that Yoko sent May Pang to keep an eye on him or whatever. Also that he got together with Paul sometime in LA.

------------------
Old Sep 01, 2002, 06:38 PM   #8
ImaginePeace78
Dr. Robert

I enjoyed May's book, I thought it was very believable, since she was with him a lot of the time. I was able to find a copy of May's book on Ebay. I even e-mailed her, but I haven't gotten a response yet. Her book is one of my favorite books on John Lennon.
-Kristi

------------------
"In the best of times, our days are numbered anyway. And so it would be a crime against nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that we would put off doing those things for which we were intended for in the first place, the oppurtunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to hit a ball and to bounce a baby." --Allistar Cooke

Kristi's Writing Desk
ImaginePeace78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 02, 2002, 08:40 AM   #9
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

'Nip is right about May. I met her at the 1981 Beatlefest in NJ and came away favorably impressed with her.

Mark Lapidos, as the story goes decided not to ever invite her to any more 'fests. That is too bad because she clearly loved John and is an important part of Beatle history.

------------------
Then we will remember things we said today. Yeah.
-- Beatles, 1964

Read www.rooftopsessions.com for high caliber Beatles fan fiction.

BB1964
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 02, 2002, 09:01 AM   #10
angelgodiva
Bulldog

May is a lovely woman, and not only did she love John very much, but he loved her as well. Not to the degree that he loved Yoko, but he definitely did love her, and he never cut her out of his life after their time together was ended. He still called her to see how she was doing whenever he was away from home (probably so that Yoko wouldn't get wind of it).
If he hadn't been so in love with Yoko, I believe that he would have married May. She meant a great deal to him.
angelgodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2002, 02:00 PM   #11
Danoota64
Wild Honey Pie

I loved May Pang's book. It gave us great insight to what was going on then and who John was. Seems like she didn't leave anything out or try to cloud the bad parts over. As soon as i finished her book, i thought to myself, I have GOT to read this again! And she's so interesting, been thru a lot in her life. She married Vinnie Poncia, who worked with Ringo. She has two children by him.
By the way, i was able to find her book and Pete Shotton's on ebay. What would we do without ebay??

------------------
"Although I laugh and I act like a clown/Beneath this mask I am wearing a frown." - I'M A LOSER (64)
Danoota64 is offline   Reply With Quote