BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Crackerbox Palace

Old Jun 03, 2006, 12:52 AM   #1
FPSHOT
Sun King

Default Cloud 9 talks

When you listen to this album, what attracts you most.. what is it... is it the cooperation with Jeff... is it the cheery sound of This Is Love which you will pick up in your daily life thinking of for instance "little things that can change you ...forever" which is true but can appear to be little things from start but grow to a huge huge 'thing' in your life ?

Or it it reminiscing times at "When We Were Fab"?

Or maybe when you have a certain mood and go to "Just For Today"?

Or is it Eric Clapton's guitar on the title song?

Or is it the fresh sound of he album?

Or is it maybe not really knowing what Fish On The Sand is about?

Or maybe the "Wreck Of The Hesperuss" which I admit still is not clear to me because once I referred to the song in a conversation and it appeared I was really far far from understanding what it is to be such a wreck?

Maybe we can share some thoughts....

Last edited by FPSHOT : Jun 03, 2006 at 12:55 AM.
FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2006, 02:01 AM   #2
twovirgins
Sun King

this is the very last "new" vinyl lp I bought in 1987 I always thought this was a great comeback after a 5 year vacation. ANd it suprised me that "got my mind set on you " was a big hit I think that is the worst song on it no offence !
and my favorite is "someplace else " the guitar on that one is pure electricity georgeified exactly nine times.
Funny enough I bought the record because I loved "when we was fab " at the time
Jeff lynn ,Eric Clapton, Ringo all did great and I wish Ringo and Eric were Wilburys
Old Jun 03, 2006, 07:23 AM   #3
rwbarnes
Rocky Raccoon

Send a message via AIM to rwbarnes Send a message via MSN to rwbarnes Send a message via Yahoo to rwbarnes

I can relate to 'Fish on the Sand'... It's about when you are out of your element. A fish belongs in the water. From the moment that I open my eyes 'till I close them at night I am like a fish on the sand.

I love Jeff's producing on Cloud 9. I don't think that it would have been such a great album with out Jeff's input. I can hear the ELO influence on some of the songs production and background and it works with George's style.

I am a very big fan of Jeff and ELO and I also think that 'Flaming Pie' is one of Paul's best, if not THE best, album that he had in the '90's...also thanks to Jeff.

Also, Jeff was refered to as 'the 5th Beatle' or something like that at one time when he met John Lennon. John was a big fan of ELO too. That's one reason the Jeff was picked to produce 'Free As A Bird' and 'Real Love', besides the fact that he worked with Paul, George and Ringo previously.

Ahhhh.... but I digress...Cloud 9 is a brilliant album and in my opinion it is one of George's top 3...being All Things Must Pass, Cloud 9 and Brainwashed. (2 out of 3 produced by Jeff :-})
Old Jun 03, 2006, 08:16 AM   #4
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by twovirgins
this is the very last "new" vinyl lp I bought in 1987 I always thought this was a great comeback after a 5 year vacation. ANd it suprised me that "got my mind set on you " was a big hit I think that is the worst song on it no offence
Thanks for your input

That song is often considered the 'weakest one' from the package, but that is maybe because it is a cover.

Let's not forget that George was a master in turning covers to his own songs and giving it an own identity.

Like he did with the songs he recorded from one of his favorite composers Hoagy Charmichael.

But on this one, yeah I must admit that in a pole it would go to the last spot in my list as well, but that is only because the others are better and we are lucky.

Each time I watch the videos of this song something happens, like the adrenaline pill many would want in an early morning to say "yes yes yes" now it would not make me do the circus act as George 'did', but it does put in quite some positive energy.

Old Jun 03, 2006, 01:03 PM   #5
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

I agree with FPSHOT in that I prefer the other CD collections. That is not to discount or discredit this one; it is excellent.

One of the many things I loved about George was that he gave everything, including covers as FPSHOT said above his own voice. He made "Got My Mind Set on You" his song, just as Willie Nelson snatched "Always On My Mind" away from Elvis, thus dethroning the King and making that one his [Willie's] song. See, George had a very distinct style and a very original way of creating. That is largely what makes his work so appealing.

"Just For Today" is a very compelling song; I love it and feel it is nothing short of brilliant.

As for "Wreck of the Hesperus," I have long wondered if it was a hypothetical "wreck," a metaphor for a disaster/calamity/catastrophe in someone's life. Maybe it is more as a general statement than it is personal, perhaps?

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2006, 10:11 PM   #6
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlebangs1964
I agree with FPSHOT in that I prefer the other CD collections.
BB just 'for the record" :):) I only said something about "Got My Mind Set On You" not the album as such... I love the whole album and for me personally it is one I play as much as All Things Must Pass...

What you say about Willy Nelson - as example - I agree on....he made that song his own, where George in all the covers he did, kept the original song the original and made an own version.

I wonder still what the Wreck is about...it's a nervous wreck to find out huh...

"Just For Today" to me is a moment in paradise... it was George on the piano in a hall in Friar Park where they put the piano to give it a spacey sound...like a Wall of Sound LOL...I know some may not like this LOL... and put the microphones on there to record it.

The "choir" in the song, which will be Jeff and George, gives this a special almost 'church' sound

I think we all have those days where you just wish the new one will come or where we think "If only I can get through this day"... that is when I think of this song...

Ofcourse...there are also days when you will think "I hope this day lasts forever"...that is when I think of "This Is Love" or "Got My Mind Set On You" or Devil's Radio....anything uptempo

Last edited by FPSHOT : Jun 03, 2006 at 10:21 PM.
Old Jun 04, 2006, 04:49 AM   #7
Legs
Sun King

I've written a review in the past, so I'll put that out again.

“We had real saxes, real guitars, real piano’s, real drums, real people playing real songs.”
George on creating Cloud Nine.

Cloud Nine represents an return to old Harrison standards. George’s guitar work is brought more up front ,and while the 80’s most populair instrument the synth is still on the album, it isn’t used as much as on prevous albums, given a chance for other real instrumenst to breath through.

Some feel that Jeff Lynne has a to heavy hand in producing this album. But everything was already done by George before, on songs like “If You Believe” and “Don’t Let me Wait To Long”, which sounds like Jeff Lynne produced them, but it was pure George. All that Jeff did was bring out the best of George’s musical talents, his guitar and voice shines through on Cloud Nine.

Eric and George’s, call and answer guitar duels on the title track, are among the best they ever done, great to listen to. Lyrics are more simple, George is unassuming when he sings “you can have my love/ use it while it does you good”. On one hand it seems that the lyrics are built around the music and that the words are more of a afterthought, but then “Take my smile and my heart They were yours from the start”, are beautiful words.

Sometimes I get stuck writing reviews, and I understand why it’s dificult sometimes to write about music. I had to stop writing about That's What It Takes cause I just had to listen. This is another one of these songs, where every guitar bit, every note and word gets into my body, and I just stand there with a smile on my face listening, from the intro to the end.

Fish On The Sand is where Jeff Lynne comes in.The song has the most beatle-esgue sound on the album.The guitar sound, the backing and answer vocals, have that Beatles mark. No doubt Jeff Lynne has a hand in that, but there’s nothing wrong with bringing out the best from someone through his songs. I don’t know wheter George at one point felt he lost touch with God, but I can imagine that like every person he sometime has his doubts and strugles, and that he still was searching. The words “ I want to know that you're not lost inside of me” or as I sometimes hear them, “That you’re not lost sight of me”, shows some fear that he feels alienated from God.

“Basicly it’s really for anybody .Don’t worry about anything, just deal with one thing at the time.” George on the lyrics of Just For Today. Alcoholics Anonymous might be an inspiration, or a handfull of rock stars going in and out of diferent addictions.But I agree, anyone having a dificult time in life, can relate to this song. The beautiful mournful guitars, the music and backing vocals, completes the sad tone of this song.

This Is Love bring out George’s wonderful guitar skils throughout the song. I get shivers down the spine, to use that phrase again, everytime I hear that intro. A comercial song, but yet pure George and nothing to be ashamed of. Jeff’s touch can be heard on the falling chords, which he uses on at least one song, on every album he produces.

When We Was Fab ,back when income tax was all they had. A dream come true for Jeff Lynne on this built yourself a Beatles song. You either love it or hate it, I love it. Ringo’s drum fills the cello’s, the references to Beatles songs, most prominent is “I Am The Walrus” which “Fab” borrows a lot from, I really don’t mind.Some references to Dylan and Smokey are included as well.

Devil's Radio came when George passed a church in a litttle country town in England. The billboard outside read ‘Gossip The Devil’s radio. Don’t be a broadcaster’.Being subject of the gossip journalism, George takes them on in this solid rock song, with some great guitar parts.
Somehow, while it being a great rocking track, it’s not a favourite of mine. The production is a bit to overpowering, try to have as many instruments at once at full volume level.

Someplace Else , the love song for the naughty couple witten for Shanghai Surprise. This beautiful ballad with a strong melody is a rest point,after a few uptempo songs.The original demo of this song, found on bootlegs, sounds even more Beatle like, perhaps George thought it was to much and re-recorded it.

Wreck Of The Hesperus is similar in content as “Devil’s Radio” as George got out of the line of media fire, and emerges like the wall of China, rocking as good as Gibraltar, which he does on this song. The verse about “Poison penmen speak” is a clear attack at the media.

The chinese introduction to Breath Away From Heaven is a reminder of where the song comes from. Also written for the Shanghai Surprise movie, but the oriental sound doesn’t really fit on the album.True enough George likes to try out different styles, but in this case he just had to write it for a movie.”It’s supposed to be just slightly Chinese sounding”. A left over, but still nice to listen to.

Got My Mind Set On You the number 1 hit needs to introduction. A great solid rock version, of this Rudy Clark song. I haven’t heard the original version yet, but George’s cover supose to be totaly diferent then the original. “It rocks along”.

To a bootleg colector like me the bonus songs are nothing new this time. The good thing tho is that “Shanghai Surprise” is now finally released, and gets the recognition it deserved. Pardon the expresion but the song kicks ass.Good to have a good and clear version of it. Zig Zag is a nice little instrumental.

A great solid rock album.

Last edited by Legs : Jun 04, 2006 at 04:50 AM.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2006, 04:54 AM   #8
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT
When you listen to this album, what attracts you most.. what is it... is it the cooperation with Jeff... is it the cheery sound of This Is Love which you will pick up in your daily life thinking of for instance "little things that can change you ...forever" which is true but can appear to be little things from start but grow to a huge huge 'thing' in your life ?

Or it it reminiscing times at "When We Were Fab"?

Or maybe when you have a certain mood and go to "Just For Today"?

Or is it Eric Clapton's guitar on the title song?

Or is it the fresh sound of he album?

Or is it maybe not really knowing what Fish On The Sand is about?

Or maybe the "Wreck Of The Hesperuss" which I admit still is not clear to me because once I referred to the song in a conversation and it appeared I was really far far from understanding what it is to be such a wreck?

Maybe we can share some thoughts....
To answer the question. I can't answer the question, it isn't just one part that got me into the album. If I had to sum it all up it would be the sound of the album, but that includes Eric's guitar, Jeff's production, the mood of the songs etc.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2006, 05:57 AM   #9
Lynner

What attracts me most about this album is that George really seems like he's having fun! Years ago (many years) I'd thought that so many of George's albums were far too deep to listen to on a really regular basis. When this album came out, to me it was like a breath of fresh air. I enjoyed listening to it. Again. And again. "This is love" has got to be one of the sweetest songs out there. "Got my mind set on you" took on a life of it's own, despite the silly line, "it's gonna take money, a whole lot of spending money". It's a fun listen. I'm very glad that George chose to share this song with us. "Fish on the Sand" is another "must listen" when playing this album. Don't we all sometimes feel out of place? Sorry to disagree with many of you but "just for today" is a low point to me. The words are fine, but the music is too much like a dirge to me. But overall, this album is in my top five of "must haves" when it comes to George's work.
Lynner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2006, 06:46 AM   #10
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

I agree with alot of that Lynner....It does sound like he is having fun. I also am not too fond of Just For Today.......

I agree with tv......Someplace Else.....takes my breath away....every time.

Great album, great songs, great production and fantastic guitars.

This is my favorite George album
sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2006, 07:17 AM   #11
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

I must say that i really love this one! The song Just For Today sometimes pops in my head when i'm going through a stressful moment...

"Logic?? My God, the man's talking about logic. We're talking about universal Armageddon!" Dr. McCoy, Wrath of Khan
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2006, 11:35 AM   #12
Siobhan
Old Brown Shoe

Cloud 9 is one of George's best albums for me, not quite topping ATMP or Brainwashed, but definitely up there. It is probably his most upbeat album, and a bit more commercial than many of the others, which I'd say is probably Jeff's influence.

I know it is an unpopular opinion but This is Love is probably my least favourite track. Not to say that I don't like it, because I do, but it doesn't seem to reach me the way it seems to others.

Someplace Else is my favourite track on the album. I know it's a 'leftover' from the Shanghai Surprise film, but to me it's a beautiful song, quite haunting.

I like Just for Today very much too, and Fish on The Sand and the title track, in fact I love all of them . Got my Mind Set on You is a great cover. Not having heard the original I can't compare it, but I do think George makes this song his own. It's quite a special song for me because I remember when it came out when I was eight, watching the video on Top of The Pops and really liking it. For me this was my first experience of George on his own outside of the Beatles.

Cloud 9 is a great album, and with it George came back from his break from the music industry with a bang and proved that he still very much had it!
Old Jun 05, 2006, 08:36 AM   #13
Starry-eyed
Paperback Writer

Send a message via AIM to Starry-eyed

I just got this CD for my birthday just recently, and I love it. My favorites on are Cloud 9, When we was Fab, This is Love, Devil's Radio, and Got My Mind Set on You. I Like all of the other songs as well; it's one of my favorite George CD's.

Starry-eyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 06, 2006, 06:07 PM   #14
Jocelyn
Mr. Moonlight

Send a message via AIM to Jocelyn Send a message via MSN to Jocelyn

Cloud 9 is definitely one of my favourite of George's albums. It does sound like he is having just so much fun, and it's not as heavy sounding as some of his other albums (not that I'm criticising any others, at all) ... although, looking at the lyrics, they are still beautiful.

Favourite tracks? Probably Fish On The Sand, which I have always thought of, as Legs said, as a song about feeling distant from God and wanting to see more clearly ... Someplace Else, (makes me cry every time I hear it at the moment) ... Cloud 9, this one took a while to grow on me, but I love it now, both the great guitar work and the lyrics, so sweet and unassuming ... actually, I really like all the songs on this album!
Please let me love you more
And that is all.
Jocelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 05:26 AM   #15
old_moon_shining
Taxman

Wink

Cloud Nine is one of those albums that no matter how many times you listen to it you never tire of the passion in his voice, the interesting lyrics and the breathtaking guitar. The picture on the cover isn't too bad either.

My favourite tracks have to be Cloud 9 and That's What It Takes. Vocally he reaches a career high point a couple of times here.

It is interesting to note that FPSHOT now tells us that in Just for Today George did the piano work. :) I remember discussing this point in detail some years ago, in this forum, and no one would let me say that this was the case then. What did I miss?

Anyway, Got My Mind was made into a single because this was what the record company wanted. They had no confidence in George's songs and he was not too pleased about their decision. However, it went well with the public and got him a hit (well actually a No 1) so maybe it was the right thing to do. Would he have made such an impact if one of the others had been released as a single first?? Something to contemplate.

I am not so fond of When We was Fab, Wreck of the Hesperus , Breath Away from Heaven and Got My Mind. I tend to jump over them sometimes. But the others are a real treat.

Just for Today is great to listen to in the dark. It has a certain mood. I agree with some here it is not 'party music' exactly, but nonetheless a brilliant piece.

Fish on the sand is a catchy little number and is about being out of place literally like a fish on the sand. He is saying that without God in his life he is about as good as a fish on the sand.

I think Jeff did well and helped in a positive way to make the album right up there with not only George's best efforts but anyone else's also.
old_moon_shining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 12:47 AM   #16
FPSHOT
Sun King

Old Moon, nice to see you writing again :)

My piano remark... yeah I recall that we have discussed the "who did what" a while back. I got my info from a very nice interview with George where he tells about the album, so maybe I did not have that at the time of that other discussion.

I wonder what would have happened if for instance This Is Love would have been the promo single for the album. To me that is the strongest song for a single, which ofcourse is purely a personal opinion. Got My Mind had/has hit potential and even though George did not really care about that, the record company thought otherwise and even two separate videos were shot which is not really usual I think..

I believe all of us will have moments where you take "Just For Today" to listen to with your own feelings about it...just one day...

I love When We Was Fab for all the little things in it...the references... the "Walrus" tempo but also for George's vocals as for instance "and we did it allllll".

Fish on the sand is one of my favorites which I will play most of the album, as also Devil's Radio, This Is Love and That's What It Takes. Half the album LOL.

But as in every album, I can change my preferences depending on a mood and can also play the title song a lot or the guitar one Wreck Of The Hesperus.

Old Jan 19, 2007, 02:04 AM   #17
old_moon_shining
Taxman

I have brought forward the thread about the piano playing. lol.

Anyway, as much as I like other songs on Cloud Nine much better than If That's What It Takes, I don't think that would have gotten that No 1 for him because, even though they are much sounder musically and lyrically etc they do not have that 'wow factor' that he put into That's What It Takes. However, this was 'George', the original song, I understand, was nothing like what his cover did.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 07:53 AM   #18
george_on_cloud9
Sun King

i like this album very much! "Got My Mind Set On You", When We was Fab", "Devil's radio" (reminds of my "Honey Pie" )

Favorite Beatle: George (1943-2001)

Favorite Beatle year(s): 1966, 1967*, 1968

(*1967 was the year that My Guy was born... my favorite Guy...)

My Quote for George:
"A Butterfly Flying Around Me Saying Goodbye!"
(29/11/2001)
God Bless You, George... Love ya...

"GEORGE ! You just give me stripes, moustache and a smile... cause You're So Fine!"

Song to remember the Past: "In My Life"

Just call me Cloud or GOC9
george_on_cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 12:27 PM   #19
old_moon_shining
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_moon_shining View Post
Anyway, as much as I like other songs on Cloud Nine much better than If That's What It Takes
Ooops, I mean 'Got My Mind' - I really LIKE 'That's What It Takes'.

What I mean to say is that 'Got My Mind' has that commercial wow even if it does not really qualify as an excellent George song. So for this it was very useful on the album.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 12:02 AM   #20
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_moon_shining View Post
I have brought forward the thread about the piano playing. lol.
I know lol and it was nice to see the old gang writing on the thread you got back on again, apart from the sad ending that thread had. It is I think all about the info we have and not about who is right or wrong.. at the time I did not have the Scott Muni interview from which you quoted. I had the book and the other info from where I read it.

But about Just For Today George says in the Scott Muni interview (didn't I get that from you btw old moon?);

"I actually wrote it in the winter of 83 or in early 84. I have a couple of friends who were at the house. They had all been to AA and had given up drinking. One of them had this little leaflet that he was showing me that AA gives out to help them get through the day. And it's called "Just for today".
I wrote the song based on that. It says to try and live through this day and not deal with life's problems. So that's what the song is about.

It's done on a piano I have in this big room in my house, this big oak hall. So it has a very ambient sound. The first part of the song is just me and a piano, and I have not really done that before. Then there are the backing parts on the song that sound like a Welsh choir. It's Jeff and myself who made up those parts. So it's very much a mood piece. I've dont this in the past with similar things, where I'll say certain things in a song and if I can help other people, ok. But it's also to remind myself, because we all need a reminder that there's so much happening and we try to deal with all these things. We get worn out, run down, and ratty. It's nice to have that to remind us that we (should) live now, deal with this moment right now and not worry about everything else that's going on. And too often people do that. They run around doing one thing, with a million other things on their mind. I think that applies to everyone and if I can use the term, I think it is the sleeper on the album. When you do have something like that, it applies to so many people in their own way. And whether it's their situation or not, they will be able to relate to what you're saying because it's everyone's problem to a degree. So I think it's excellent."

Last edited by FPSHOT : Jan 22, 2007 at 12:03 AM.