BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Crackerbox Palace

Old Aug 05, 2005, 10:07 AM   #1
SpaceDaisy42
Mr. Moonlight

Send a message via AIM to SpaceDaisy42
Question Favorite/Least Favorite Album?

I became a bonafide "Beatlefreak" while a junior in high school. After high school I kind of went through a phase where I didnt listen to them so much. I never disliked them, but I just didn't pay much attention to anything Beatles. Now that I am back to the Beatles again, I have found that I have been more interested in solo work than I was before. I only owned All Things Must Pass before, now I have gotten the Dark Horse Years box set, All things Must Pass (again), Brainwashed, and Living In the Material World. I don't think I've missed anything. Anyhow, I was just kind of wondering today, what is your favorite solo album and what is your least favorite solo album and why?

Personally, I'm not even sure i can answer this yet, but the one that gets the most play lately is George Harrison. And I don't know why but I really don't care much for Somewhere In England. It's not bad, but t just doesn't seem to compare to his other stuff for me.

"I have had to find one word to say what the man is. 'Brave' comes near, but it has too close a relationship with suffering and I have therefore concluded that, pirate as he is, he deserves the word 'bold' for he is, in truth, quite the boldest man I have ever met." - Derek Taylor, speaking of George in I Me Mine.

"I just remembered where my keys are, they're in the sink!" - Me, don't ask...
SpaceDaisy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 05, 2005, 12:59 PM   #2
pattiboyd's slave
Sgt. Pepper

My favorite has gots to be All Things Must Pass for all the obvious reasons (sorry, I know that's a pat answer) and my least favorite is...well, I'll have to get back on that one...I really like them all!
Old Aug 05, 2005, 01:32 PM   #3
Scouser
Day Tripper

Send a message via AIM to Scouser

My favorite is......ummm....

Ya know, good question.

I would typically say All Things Must Pass. but I also love Brainwashed.

Although George Harrison has been getting the most play here lately too (and to think I didn't like it when I first got it)

With the exception of two songs (Baltimore Oriole and and Life Itself) I don't really like "Somewhere In England"
And sadly, "Living In the Material World" doesn't do much for me either (but I love "Give Me Love, Give Me Peace on Earth" and "Be Here Now")

~Layla

Give Me Love, Give Me Love, Give Me Peace on Earth
Give Me Light, Give Me Life, Keep Me Free from Birth
Give me Hope, Help me Cope, with this Heavy Load
Trying to Touch and Reach You with Heart and Soul
~`~Ohm~`~

Last edited by Scouser : Aug 05, 2005 at 01:33 PM.
Scouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 05, 2005, 01:50 PM   #4
edubeltran
Day Tripper

Both questions are difficult to answer, but I'll go for ATMP as my fav, and probably Extra Texture as my least, although I like the song YOU
edubeltran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 05, 2005, 01:55 PM   #5
GeorgieGirl
Wild Honey Pie

Send a message via MSN to GeorgieGirl Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgieGirl

Least Favorite? Extra Texture. I'm not a big fan of Living In The Material World, either, other than Give Me Love.

Last edited by GeorgieGirl : Aug 05, 2005 at 01:56 PM.
GeorgieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 05, 2005, 03:15 PM   #6
SpaceDaisy42
Mr. Moonlight

Wow, I'm surprised by how many would choose Living In The Material World as their least favorite. I got that one last and am loving it. I have especially fallen in love with That Is All. It's always interesting to hear differing viewpoints. I have yet to purchase Dark Horse and Extra Texture.

"I have had to find one word to say what the man is. 'Brave' comes near, but it has too close a relationship with suffering and I have therefore concluded that, pirate as he is, he deserves the word 'bold' for he is, in truth, quite the boldest man I have ever met." - Derek Taylor, speaking of George in I Me Mine.

Old Aug 05, 2005, 06:58 PM   #7
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Favorite is probably ATMP, though I'm really fond of "33 1/3" too because it came out when I was a newbie fan and had some lovely hits/videos that went along with it. Least favorite is probably "Extra Texture", though honestly, I haven't listened to it for at least 20 years, so my memories of it are a bit faded. I'm probably more fond of "George Harrison", "Somewhere in England", "Dark Horse" and particularly "Gone Troppo" than most non-super-rabid George fans and less fond of "Cloud 9" (yeah yeah, don't stone me) and "Brainwashed" than most, though I like them both quite well.
Old Aug 05, 2005, 09:32 PM   #8
DizzymissLizzy909
Sun King

As a favorite, I'm kind of stuck between ATMP and Brainwashed... although I guess I was forced to choose just one, I'd go with ATMP.

Least favorite is Extra Texture. Doesn't do too much for me, sorry George!
Old Aug 05, 2005, 10:07 PM   #9
darkhorse
Sun King

Favorite is easy; just go on with the trend... it's just because All Things Must Pass is OH SO GREAT and features all those great songs... something related to the number of the songs, the monumental arrangements and so on.

I'm a fan of almost everything else, everything has its charm; the deep spirituality of Living In The Material World, the jazzistic experiences of Dark Horse, the depression and sweetness of Extra Texture, the great pop constructions of Thirty-Three & 1/3, the romanticism and optimism of George Harrison, the happy-go-lucky feel to Gone Troppo, the pop masterpiece that Cloud Nine is and of course the solemnity and simplicity (at the same time) of Brainwashed, the posthumous work.

Yes, I know I missed one, and that would be my least favorite. The way it's arranged, Somewhere In England just doesn't provide a good effect on me, whilst I like very much some of the original songs ("Life Itself"), some of the replacements ("Blood From A Clone", "All Those Years Ago"), and of course some of the erased ones ("Lay His Head", "Sat Singing")... if it had all those five it would have been all great but I'm not in complete agreement with things like "Teardrops", "Save The World" and especially "That Which I Have Lost" which could easily be my least favorite song of his (sorry mates). I'm learning to enjoy the Carmichael covers, though.
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 05, 2005, 10:16 PM   #10
old_moon_shining
Taxman

Really hard to work out if I am a 'super-rabid' or a 'most-super-rabid', Rell - dear me, you do propose difficult abstractions.

Extra Textra and Cloud Nine. Nothing difficult about these decisions.
old_moon_shining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 05, 2005, 11:47 PM   #11
SpaceDaisy42
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_moon_shining
Really hard to work out if I am a 'super-rabid' or a 'most-super-rabid', Rell - dear me, you do propose difficult abstractions.

Extra Textra and Cloud Nine. Nothing difficult about these decisions.
Yes, how does one distinguish which category one falls into? And old moon shining, Extra texture being your favorite and Cloud Nine being your least?

Old Aug 06, 2005, 08:03 AM   #12
Legs
Sun King

Least favourite is probably "Somewhere In England" Still every time I put it on I'm surprised that I like so much of it, but I don't put it on very often.

Favourite is more dificult, but I say "Brainwashed". Takes me on such beautiful listening experience from George reguesting some more guitar till the mantra at the end. Without a moment of thinking about skipping one song, it's one album that needs to be listened to as a whole. It always ends to soon.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 06, 2005, 08:05 AM   #13
Rellevart

Send a message via MSN to Rellevart

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_moon_shining
Gosh, wasn't trying to make anybody fall into any category or make any judgements, I just ramble sometimes and it's not to be taken all that seriously.

I was just trying to point out that since I am not primarily and #1 a "George fan", that my opinions on his work might differ from those who do consider themselves to be primarily George fans.
Old Aug 06, 2005, 11:21 AM   #14
Fluxus
Wild Honey Pie

Favorite: George Harrison
Least favorite: Dark Horse
Fluxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 06, 2005, 12:57 PM   #15
Cecilia
Old Brown Shoe

Favorite: All Things Must Pass, hands down. Brainwashed would be on second place, but ATMP has the best lyrics and instrumentation.

Least favorite: Living In The Material World. I think I've listened only twice since I bought it.
Old Aug 06, 2005, 01:00 PM   #16
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Favorite: ATMP
Least Favorite: Somewhere in England

Choosing a least favorite was not easy; Somewhere in England has high caliber songs that I really love. It is just that, of all the collections of recordings, I prefer the others.

Choosing a favorite was just as hard. ATMP was such an exceptional work that truly raised the bar. It is ideal for just about any mood or occasion.

The self-titled George Harrison has a good selection of Beatle and solo songs and is ideal for meeting just about any need. I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse
I'm a fan of almost everything else, everything has its charm; the deep spirituality of Living In The Material World, the jazzistic experiences of Dark Horse, the depression and sweetness of Extra Texture, the great pop constructions of Thirty-Three & 1/3, the romanticism and optimism of George Harrison, the happy-go-lucky feel to Gone Troppo, the pop masterpiece that Cloud Nine is and of course the solemnity and simplicity (at the same time) of Brainwashed, the posthumous work.
Well put. George was a musical and mental and emotional virtuoso. His work could take listeners through the full range of feelings. His work was a musical continuum.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw

Last edited by beatlebangs1964 : Aug 06, 2005 at 01:11 PM.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 06, 2005, 01:33 PM   #17
Siobhan
Old Brown Shoe

Favourite: ATMP

Least favourite: Dark Horse. Although there are some very good songs on this album, most notably the title track, the overall feel of the album is a little too depressing for me.
Old Aug 06, 2005, 01:45 PM   #18
luvsthebeatles
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to luvsthebeatles Send a message via Yahoo to luvsthebeatles

My favorite I'd say is either Brainwashed or ATMP.

I don't have a least favorite, but I don't have enough of his albums to really know.
Old Aug 06, 2005, 05:55 PM   #19
BeatleChick
Sgt. Pepper

Oh... um.... I'll give you my top 3 faves, and my least fave:

Top 3 Faves:

Brainwashed
George Harrison
and
Dark Horse

Least fave (easy!):

Electronic Sounds
Old Aug 06, 2005, 06:10 PM   #20
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

ATMP, Brainwashed, Cloud Nine favorites...

least.....well maybe Living in the Material World...or Somewhere In England....but that is for today..
sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote