BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > And Your Bird Can Sing

Old Apr 24, 2007, 03:56 PM   #1
62hofner

Default Will Beatle downloads be healthy for THE BEATLES?

I just read a good article on Neil Aspinal's "departure" from Apple, and all that can happen as a result of the Beatles catalog being unleashed onto the digital market...

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/5048

It raises some interesting points that I had not really considered. Will The Beatles be overly exposed and exploited by the coming onslaught? Will The Beatles mystique be compromised now that its greatest protector, Neil Aspinal, is gone?

62hofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2007, 04:21 PM   #2
beatles_gal
Rocky Raccoon

i think i might be in the minority here, but i wish the beatles music wouldn't go online. like the article mentioned, it's something that makes the beatles different, gives them a mystique. it's stupid, i know, but i feel like if the beatles' songs are available for downloading, it's just one more thing to make them like all the other bands out there and one less special, unique thing about them.
i realize being able to download beatles' music will expose their songs to more people, which is great. i just think everyone should buy the CDs if they want to listen to the songs.
just my opinion, of course!
I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?
--John Lennon
beatles_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2007, 04:46 PM   #3
Lady Madonna
Bulldog

Quote:
“Neil always thought it was very cool that the Beatles were the only band that you couldn’t download.”

Correction.......The Beatles were the only band that you couldn't download legally.

They are the most pirated band on the internet. They should have been the first band to be available for download, not one of the last.
Lady Madonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2007, 05:01 PM   #4
62hofner

I agree with both LadyMadonna and beatles_gal at the same time...

I kind'a wish that their remastered music was only going to be made available on CD format, as well. Go out and buy the music if you want it!

But, LadyMadonna makes the good point of how The Beatles have been the most pirated bands ever. Sure, it has made for some fun-fun-fun bootleg collecting. But, in the end, it is done in such volume that they have been getting ripped off and not benefitting from any of it financially.

I'm mostly sorry that Neil is leaving. I always felt their legacy could be in no more capable and loving hands. Who knows what will happen now.....
Old Apr 25, 2007, 02:46 AM   #5
Zimmerman The Gnome
Sun King

Neil Aspinall protected the Beatles legacy far too much. Downloads will open up the music to a whole new generation and at the end of the day all that it is about is the music.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 05:53 AM   #6
FPSHOT
Sun King

I agree. Time moves on and in music you gotta go with the flow. Most people tend to download music these days, which also will have more people buy Beatles music.

If you liked a certain artist/group 10 years ago, the options were to either buy a record or cd or copy it, if possible (LP's).

Thanks to Napster and Co. most people started listening to more music I think. I have so many downloads from so many artists I would never have bought a CD or LP from.

So I think it will contribute to the expansion of Beatles music being listened to, especially within the 'new generation'.

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 09:12 AM   #7
Legs
Sun King

I don't think there is anything mystique about not having Beatles songs available as downloads. It's like when the first cd's started to apair and someone would say, "wouldn't it be cool to only have the Beatles on vinyl and not release any Beatle cd's." Having the songs online will help introduce the Beatles to a new generation, and i don't think it's a bad move.

Also it's time that the U.K. catalogue will be remastered and re-released on cd's. I am glad tho that we don't have the buy the same albums for the third or fourth times, like with some other bands where the catalogue has been re-released for the 4th time or so. But I do think that now is the time for an upgrade.

I must say that I think overall Neil did a good job with the Beatles legacy. Not to many compilation cd's, only "1". Ofcourse "Live at the BBC" and the "Anthology" set were great releases. And you couldn't find a Beatle song on one of those 60's compilation cd's. So he didn't go overboard with Beatle releases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62hofner View Post

It raises some interesting points that I had not really considered. Will The Beatles be overly exposed and exploited by the coming onslaught? Will The Beatles mystique be compromised now that its greatest protector, Neil Aspinal, is gone?

Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 09:18 AM   #8
Legs
Sun King

Quote:

But, LadyMadonna makes the good point of how The Beatles have been the most pirated bands ever. Sure, it has made for some fun-fun-fun bootleg collecting. But, in the end, it is done in such volume that they have been getting ripped off and not benefitting from any of it financially.
Bootleging and pirating are two different things. The official songs someone downloads unofficially on the many download sites is hurting the band financially. So having the catalogue up on sites like Itunes, or my personal choise 7digital, would be a good thing. Bootlegs contain music you can't buy officially, so they wouldn't been making money from the music on bootlegs in the first place.

The best way to listen to the Beatles imo is still on vinyl. But I'll buy the remasters as soon as they are released. I won't download the music, also because you still get mp3 or wma files, which always means quality lose. Wma and mp3 files are far from cd quality. The only time I download is when there are just a few songs I like from an album, or when a band I like releases an compilation cd with just one new song. In that case it's handy to just download the one song.

Last edited by Legs : Apr 25, 2007 at 09:19 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 09:28 AM   #9
62hofner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSHOT View Post
I agree. Time moves on and in music you gotta go with the flow. Most people tend to download music these days, which also will have more people buy Beatles music.

If you liked a certain artist/group 10 years ago, the options were to either buy a record or cd or copy it, if possible (LP's).

Thanks to Napster and Co. most people started listening to more music I think. I have so many downloads from so many artists I would never have bought a CD or LP from.

So I think it will contribute to the expansion of Beatles music being listened to, especially within the 'new generation'.
You make valid points. However for me, personally, ever since I bought my iPod and got hooked up to iTunes and stored away all my CDs once I tranferred them onto said iPod, I found the musical experience a little cold and impersonal. As a result, I find I listen to music less. I will always favor an actual physical entity that I can handle and look at and "collect". The mp3 is not an advance in my opinion. For me, it proved a barrier of sorts. You download a song/album and you get what with it? A little peice of digital artwork? At least with CDs, you got a booklet - however shrunken-down it was from the LP format booklet. The albums I have purchased and have stored on iTunes, I hardly ever listen to - it's like I don't even know they're there. As soon as I can open up some space in my room, I am bringing my CD collection back from "retirement" and it will remain my main musical source. And when the remasters are released, I will buy the CDs. I won't be downloading them.

For the "new generation", this will be a different story I am sure. Kids are being raised on the mp3 format. Young Beatle fans will donwload.

I may have gone off the original topic a little.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 09:41 AM   #10
FPSHOT
Sun King

Quote:
You make valid points. However for me, personally, ever since I bought my iPod and got hooked up to iTunes and stored away all my CDs once I tranferred them onto said iPod, I found the musical experience a little cold and impersonal. As a result, I find I listen to music less. I will always favor an actual physical entity that I can handle and look at and "collect". The mp3 is not an advance in my opinion. For me, it proved a barrier of sorts. You download a song/album and you get what with it? A little peice of digital artwork? At least with CDs, you got a booklet - however shrunken-down it was from the LP format booklet. The albums I have purchased and have stored on iTunes, I hardly ever listen to - it's like I don't even know they're there. As soon as I can open up some space in my room, I am bringing my CD collection back from "retirement" and it will remain my main musical source. And when the remasters are released, I will buy the CDs. I won't be downloading them.

For the "new generation", this will be a different story I am sure. Kids are being raised on the mp3 format. Young Beatle fans will donwload.

I may have gone off the original topic a little.
I understand what you mean.. about the booklets and all.. and at least for me I do not care much about booklets from artists I listen to once in a while.. however when it comes to for instance George and Wilbury material and some more artists I would never settle for just the digital download.

FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 08:06 AM   #11
BadLittleKid
Paperback Writer

There will be no use for Beatles remasters, in both stereo and mono, if they are only presented as downloadables. If you're going to download a full quality record online you have to download a file of about 700 MB's and it will take a longer walk than that with the considerably inferior mp3's.

- Biggles
BadLittleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 06:37 PM   #12
beatles_gal
Rocky Raccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs View Post
I don't think there is anything mystique about not having Beatles songs available as downloads. It's like when the first cd's started to apair and someone would say, "wouldn't it be cool to only have the Beatles on vinyl and not release any Beatle cd's."
good point--i didn't think of it like that. i guess i'll be okay with the beatles songs' available for downloading so more people are exposed to them, but i won't be downloading them.
I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?
--John Lennon
beatles_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2007, 09:49 AM   #13
Kris Wright
Fool On The Hill

That article mentions a green ipod that comes with all the Beatle songs pre-loaded. Am I a total sellout scoundrel because I think this is the coolest thing ever?
Old May 01, 2007, 04:31 PM   #15
kmac
Old Brown Shoe

The Beatles, as we are all aware, painstakingly crafted their music and messages to be shared with all humanity. They expended a great deal of effort to supply the world with messages of Love, Peace and Harmony, attributes that are rarer to find in these tense, complicated times.

Frankly, the more their positive messages fall upon the ears of today's misguided yutes and politicos, all the better.

The only suggestion I would make is that the songs should only be made available as full albums, as they were originally intended to be heard. The major negative for me about downloads permeating the music industry is that the album concept is becoming less and less important in favor of the "Track" mentality.
Old May 01, 2007, 06:11 PM   #16
eppylover
Apple Scruff

Neil was wonderful, and I love him to death. I'm certain he was always operating according to the Beatles' wishes, mainly John's.
So now Apple is primed and ready to oversaturate the market and cheapen The Beatles into becoming just another group. Well, it was nice while it lasted.

From what I recall, the biggest gripe John had involved the greedy business suits who filled their pockets and made themselves rich off the Beatles' sweat.

I may be wrong, but I feel John was the type who would rather keep on forbidding "legal" downloading ~ because that's the kind that profits the company moguls!!! ~ and, if he were here today, he'd be more likely to encourage giving the suits the finger by sharing "illegally" instead ~ maybe even helping us out in that direction ~ just to get a good healthy larf out of all the successful pirating going on. A great way to share his musical messages without the rich dudes ripping off the profits first.

I'm not sure how that would sit with Yoko's business sense, though.
eppylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2007, 08:35 AM   #17
getback
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eppylover View Post
I'm not sure how that would sit with Yoko's business sense, though.
and he would have deffered to her on this, i'm sure. i also think john would've loved ipods, for what it's worth.
getback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2007, 10:35 AM   #18
eppylover
Apple Scruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by getback View Post
and he would have deffered to her on this, i'm sure. i also think john would've loved ipods, for what it's worth.
Oh I am sure you are 100% correct on that one, my dear getback!
Old May 02, 2007, 07:25 PM   #19
AMBOISVERT
Dr. Robert

You know, I have found that the availability online of the Stones, the Who, Bob Dylan, the Kinks, Elvis and so forth hasn't really changed much of anything. I love the same songs, the same albums, that I did before. This change (as with old CD release of the Beatles music) isn't pivotal; merely overdue. I own the entire Beatles catalogue and a great many bootleg tracks, and I listen to them primarily through iTunes now. The time to worry about the Beatles being over-exposed was more than forty years ago.

What has changed for me, and will be very different, I don't doubt, for the next generation of fans no matter what happens, is the way in which people's listening patterns are reverting back to individual songs and away from whole albums. This is the unravelling of an important part of the Beatles legacy, and while I don't think it is a big deal for music in general (it may even be a blessing: think how many albums you ever bought for the sake of only one or two songs. Those days are over), it is a bit of shame for the fabs own music, where the album often makes such a lovely whole.

AMBOISVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2007, 03:44 AM   #20
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMBOISVERT View Post
What has changed for me, and will be very different, I don't doubt, for the next generation of fans no matter what happens, is the way in which people's listening patterns are reverting back to individual songs and away from whole albums. This is the unravelling of an important part of the Beatles legacy, and while I don't think it is a big deal for music in general (it may even be a blessing: think how many albums you ever bought for the sake of only one or two songs. Those days are over), it is a bit of shame for the fabs own music, where the album often makes such a lovely whole.
I do agree, however it's all personal choise. People who like to see the Beatles albums like art, and want the whole package will buy the cd's. Others have no problems just downloading the songs they like. They might not buy a whole cd, but just download the few songs they like. Meaning extra profit which otherwise might been lost.

What can be worrieng tho is that in the not so near future most people will only download songs, and that music will not be made available on cd also. There is already talk that first the Beatles catalogue will be available as downloads and only later on cd.