BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Jan 29, 2012, 08:56 AM   #41
LMW28IF
Wild Honey Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMW28IF View Post
The 1:07 mark of "For You Blue" on Let It Be - Naked, just took on a new meaning.
And again and again!

Come on... Tell me at least ONE of you looked it up and had a laugh?
Old Jan 29, 2012, 09:26 AM   #42
Maia 66
Sun King

Default Go, Johnny, Go!

Quote:
Come on... Tell me at least ONE of you looked it up and had a laugh?

Isn't it the same as the original LIB version?

Sadly for you, we're mostly chicks 'round here, so we tend not to be as enthusiastic about dudes who sleep around a lot.

But I gotta say, I love that John was a cougar-lover!

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:06 AM   #43
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Angry About rumours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post
Hey, that's what I was going to say!

Snoopy, there is soooooooooooo much we don't know. I think you may be shocked to find out what actually happened, especially during Beatlemania. And I doubt very highly Bob Gruen would make up stories, as he has always been very loyal to John.

Anyway, there have been rumors that John had a little fling with Joan Baez. Here's what she has to say about it:
Oh well, I guess you think that I'm rather naive, don't you, Maia ?

Well, I'm not stupid and I know that John and the other Beatles had numerous affairs, as they have so many groupies and occasions, so what ? John wasn't worse than the others. One thing I'm sure of: John was big-mouthed and because of that many people think or regard him as kind of "sex-maniac", which I personally don't believe. Goldman's book contributed a lot to that common belief, unfortunately.

Further, it's fact that John was jealous of Paul and Paul HAD more success with women than John. So I think it may be the reason why John once boasted to Cyn that he had "100 of women", oh well, never believed that quite, coming from a man who sang "I'm only sleeping" and "I'm so tired" I read that many women were scared of John because of his sarcasm and his aggressive behaviour; that doesn't attract much young women, does it ?

Oh well, although I would find it quite funny that my favourite singer had a so-called fling with the favorite singer of my father, hmm.... Honestly, it doesn't sound very realistic to me; John standing in the middle of the night in her room, aaargh, c'mon Maia, you really believe that ? I think Joan might have a nice dream...

Sorry, I still think that many stories are exaggerated....

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:13 PM   #44
Fly
Dr. Robert

Oh come on, Snoopy. John was a womanizer and he had more than his fair of clandestine love affairs. How the he11 do you think he was inspired to write all those incredible songs? From Cynthia? Look, accept that John wasn't an angel, but please don't talk about him being jealous of Paul. Whatever for? John was a sexual beast and gorgeous. Why would he be jealous of Paul for exactly? Maybe because he wasn't able to be as much of a sl*t because he did feel obligated to be faithful (to some degree) to Cynthia? I knowhe turned out earlier than the others or excused himself from various parties because he WAS conscientious of his wife. But let's not overlook that he had his fair share of birds- and then some. Not only that, he had a true animal magnetism. Where are you getting your facts- from Cilla Black? One woman, who didn't even sleep with John, over all the others. Look at the link 4eyes shared. The one chick who Paul got pregnant even preferred John to Paul. I mean, really, I get so annoyed by this "John was jealous of Paul" sh** all the time. Sure, they had a healthy competition. And sure, John maybe wished he was more pretty boy/angel faced at times. But don't act like Paul, in turn, wasn't jealous of John's blatant sexual charisma or natural wit.

They each had their high points and downfalls. But what I HATE is when Beatles fans like to tip the scale and make it seem like John was sitting around pouting because Paul had more chicks than him. If anything, John probably was jealous of the FREEDOM, and not neccesarily Paul's ability to get a bunch of women.

Last edited by Fly : Jan 29, 2012 at 12:13 PM.
Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:19 PM   #45
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy66 View Post
I know that John had some affairs while he was with May...
Any of you guys remember AngelGodiva who used to post on here? she had an interesting story to tell.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:22 PM   #46
Fly
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Any of you guys remember AngelGodiva who used to post on here? she had an interesting story to tell.
I remember her! She had an affair with John as well. Wish I could dig up some of her posts as I always found her quite a fascinating gal.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:24 PM   #47
Lucy

I'm sure they'll be in the archives somewhere....I think she had a link to a site where she had written the full story of their fling if someone can find that if they're interested.
She was a nice woman. I hope she is well because I seem to remember she wasn't in great health back when she used to post.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:26 PM   #48
LMW28IF
Wild Honey Pie

I think the term "womanizer" has a MODERN context that does not apply to The Beatles and a lot of people who took part in the 1960's.

Not that what was going on then was right/wrong or even something that you or I would necessarily do today.

Are some stories exaggerated? Certainly some of them are. Are there potentially hundreds that we don't even know about? Not probably, or even definitely, but YES... many, many things happened that we don't know about. Both with women, drugs, wonderful acts of kindness, acts of anger, etc.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:27 PM   #49
Fly
Dr. Robert

Default AngelGodiva

I hope she's ok as well. That was so long ago, when I was more regular on here. I would love her story placed in this thread. She had so many great things to say about John as a person and I found her accounts really very sincere and interesting.

Last edited by Fly : Jan 29, 2012 at 12:28 PM.
Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:33 PM   #50
Fly
Dr. Robert

Quote:
I think the term "womanizer" has a MODERN context that does not apply to The Beatles and a lot of people who took part in the 1960's.

Not that what was going on then was right/wrong or even something that you or I would necessarily do today.

Are some stories exaggerated? Certainly some of them are. Are there potentially hundreds that we don't even know about? Not probably, or even definitely, but YES... many, many things happened that we don't know about. Both with women, drugs, wonderful acts of kindness, acts of anger, etc.
Yeah well, for my posts I'll refer to him as a womanizer because it's much easier. But I agree with you completely. Back then, nearly every man in the industry had their own little closet of affairs or "encounters" and much of it was swept under the rug. I don't look down upon John, but I won't deny that he had a careless way of behaving in his youth that hurt other people- some times it was done brashly and with no concern for other's feelings and other times he didn't intend to hurt anyone at all. I would say the latter was probably more common. Despite all of these things, John was an incredibly good human being. I wouldn't be a fan of him if this wasnt the case. He hurt people, but on the whole nearly any person he knew or that met him talked him up as one of the kindest, most generous, and loving souls. He was selfish, brash, and could be cruel. But on the whole, he possessed a very deeply feeling heart of gold and, remember Snoopy above all others, he was VERY young when these things happened. When you're young- as I was once- you do things for experience, for fun, and many times without too much thought.

But compared to all these little flings, the women he loved were loved deeply and they knew it.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:36 PM   #51
LMW28IF
Wild Honey Pie

Oh, and I get that my "Go Johnny, Go!" crack as the list grows longer might not be the most revered post of mine. That's ok though, I'm still amused by the fact that's it's part of THIS thread. Much funnier than say, it being placed in a thread about prolific songwriting... Where it would also fit well.

There is also a certain bit of irony to a negative remark or two about "Go Johnny Go!" in a thread about his escapades which is now multiple pages long, full of pictures of lovely ladies, even some posts from fans preferring one over another, comparing their looks to John's wife, etc.

That said, Pattie has them all beat (among most Beatle guys) by the way. Don't forget John once ignored Cyn and was all over Pattie at a costume party. Pattie was in some sort of Belly Dancer costume or something equally revealing.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:41 PM   #52
LMW28IF
Wild Honey Pie

Found it...

On December 21, 1967, the Beatles held a party for Magical Mystery Tour at the Westbourne Suite at the Royal Lancaster Hotel in London.

Pete Shotton: "I had originally planned to turn up as a Musketeer, but at the last minute, John suddenly exclaimed, 'Let's go as Teddy Boys, and dress the way we always wished we could when we were at school. Let's do it properly this time.' We both made a terrific impression at the party, but were nonetheless eclipsed by such inspired impersonations as Peter Brown's periwigged King Louis XIV of France, and Apple press officer Derek Taylor's Nazi-uniformed Hitler. Cilla Black and her husband, Bobby Willis came as, respectively, a Cockney labourer, and a nun. However, Freddie Lennon, who appeared as a trash collector, achieved the most realistic impression of all."

"By the time we were seated for the screening, John had, in best Teddy Boy style, got himself smashed on good old-fashioned booze! An unpleasant scene developed towards the end of the party, when the band, The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band, took the stage and most of the guests paired off to dance. Totally ignoring Cynthia, who was decked out for the occasion as a fairy princess, John instead lavished all his attentions on Pattie Harrison, with whom he actually went so far as to dance, probably for the first time in about five years."

Cynthia Lennon: "John made a bee-line for Pattie, who was looking incredibly sexy in an eastern dancer's seven-veils-and-not-much-else outfit. John hogged Pattie for quite a time and I was left sitting primly and stiffly, very much out in the cold."

Pete Shotton: "Though Pattie had, undeniably, made herself especially desirable as a scantily clad belly dancer, neither Cyn nor George were the least bit amused by John's open flirtation with her. In the end, however, it was Cyn's close friend, the diminutive pop singer Lulu, impersonating Shirley Temple, complete with an over-sized lollipop, who elected herself to give the inebriated Beatle cum Teddy Boy a good talking to."

Cynthia Lennon: "It was such a lovely sight, Lulu cornering John and giving him what for. John was much taken aback by Shirley Temple's serious lecture on how to treat his wife."
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:45 PM   #53
Fly
Dr. Robert

Quote:
That said, Pattie has them all beat (among most Beatle guys) by the way. Don't forget John once ignored Cyn and was all over Pattie at a costume party. Pattie was in some sort of Belly Dancer costume or something equally revealing.
You know, Pattie was hot and all. But she looked HIT when she got with Eric. Her physical decline, for such a young woman, was sad. And she doesn't look all that fantastic now.

I think Linda was gorgeous because a) no makeup and fair skin b) cute body (but ugly clothes I'll give you that) and c) aged well despite terminal illness.

Yoko still has my love, but in an objective way: Pattie was the hottest but just didn't hold it together. Sorry LMW. It lasted for about 10 years stat for her.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 01:15 PM   #54
wildewoman
Taxman

Default The raven-haired girl who haunted John's dreams

Seeing those photos of Alma Cogan and Thelma Pickles and there dark hair reminded me that for years, John imagined a soul mate waiting for him that was a "dark-haired, high-cheekboned, free-spirited artist a la Juliette Greco." This imaginary girl, even more than Brigitte, haunted his dreams. Here is the woman herself:
wildewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2012, 01:19 PM   #55
Apple Scruff
Sun King

I think John's ideal lady was a combination of Brigitte's unabashed natural magnetism and beauty and Juliet's more earthy, sensual/intellectual beauty. I think he loved a hot lady with brains. Maybe the world didn't see it- still can't- but I do understand his draw to Yoko. I think she was/is FAR more beautiful than she is given credit for. And as far as her intelligence, well now, that is undisputed.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 01:22 PM   #56
LMW28IF
Wild Honey Pie

Well fly, everybody has their own opinion. I've read posts that by the time Let It Be came about, John was a mess, treating people poorly more often, high as a kite all the time and the Bed In and Hair Peace nonsense was about as unattractive as a former attractive man could get.

Just someone else's opinion though....

If any self respecting Beatles fan can't give Yoko a HUGE tip of the cap, if only for the joy she brought John, then they've got fandom problems.

Last edited by LMW28IF : Jan 29, 2012 at 01:24 PM.
LMW28IF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2012, 01:23 PM   #57
Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly View Post
I hope she's ok as well. That was so long ago, when I was more regular on here. I would love her story placed in this thread. She had so many great things to say about John as a person and I found her accounts really very sincere and interesting.
Well I found this http://www.beatlelinks.net/forums/ar...hp/t-4881.html but when I went to the address quoted I couldn't find the story. Might have gone by now since it was years ago.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 01:27 PM   #58
Apple Scruff
Sun King

I conversed with AngelGodiva via email and PM for a while. She was a beautiful soul and her experience with John was something that impacted her life greatly. I have nothing but good things to say about her, though we did lose contact after I stopped coming on the Links for a while. I can not remember if she or I stopped visiting first. Anyway, she held John very high in her heart and I remember how she mentioned his sharp wit, intellect, and great heart. He was a very loving and good man, though he did have his flaws of course. She pointed out, though, that the goods outweighed the bad in a big way.

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Jan 29, 2012 at 01:27 PM.
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2012, 01:57 PM   #59
peanut333
Wild Honey Pie

It's good Brian was dead when Derek chose to dress like Hitler at that party in the 60's. I once read a rumor George either flirted or had a fling with Joan Baez. I don't think Patti looked that bad when she was with Eric. Maybe the emotional turmoil of George cheating, her decision regarding Eric, not to mention the substance abuse may have taken their toll.
peanut333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2012, 03:12 PM   #60
Maia 66
Sun King

I've found a link to the story. Here it is.

Wow! Pretty amazing story. What a way to spend your 21st birthday!! John was pretty nice, considering the situation... I'll bet you most rock stars are not anywhere near that decent. I hope Angel pops back up here again, because I'd love to find out the name of the bar she met him at.

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote