BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Crackerbox Palace

Old Jul 15, 2003, 03:42 AM   #1
Freda_Peeple
Dr. Robert

Default Perkins bros share fond memories of George :)

I was looking for more information about Friar Park when I found this interview with Carl Perkins sons, Greg and Stan, and Wes Henley. It includes some really great, touching stories along with details about Carl's friendship with George, Friar Park, and more. Also features some nice pictures. I think this is a fascinating interview and another example of one in which people who knew George speak of him in a way that easily gives the impression that he made a huge impact in their lives and they really loved and appreciated him, not just for being a famous musician, but for being such a kind, compassionate, wonderful human being. I'm posting the intro to the Q&A here, and if you like, you can read the rest at The Jackson Sun website.

The Beatle ... with a little help from his Jackson friends
By W. MATT MEYER
mmeyer@jacksonsun.com

When he heard George Harrison had died, Greg Perkins, the youngest son of longtime Harrison friend Carl Perkins, sat outside and reminisced about how his favorite Beatle loved gardening.
Greg's brother, Stan, was saddened but smiled as he thought of Harrison at his daddy's funeral. As Harrison stood to honor the fallen legend, he reached out and tapped the casket three times to reconnect with his old friend.
Jackson musician Wes Henley, who played and toured with rockabilly legend Perkins and his sons, grabbed his guitar and played his favorite Harrison tune, "Something."

These three Jackson residents felt a loss more acutely than most after the Beatle's death last month. While many were only fans of the Beatles guitarist, this trio became friends because of their relationship with Carl Perkins. Harrison, an icon to many musicians and songwriters, idolized the man these Jacksonians called father and friend.

"He said 'If it hadn't have been for your daddy, I never would have picked up a guitar,'" Stan, 48, told The Jackson Sun recently during an interview.

Lucky for Beatles fans all over the world, Harrison was a Perkins fanatic. The proof is endless. Harrison's playing on those early Beatles albums was styled after Perkins' sound.

In addition, the Fab Four recorded three of Perkins' songs on their major studio releases: "Honey Don't," "Matchbox" and "Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby", the tune Harrison sang on "Beatles For Sale". That's more than any other artist whose songs they performed.

When the Beatles toured Hamburg, Germany, and greater fame waited just around the corner for them, Harrison, as a tribute, told everyone he met his name was "Carl," not George.

"No one knew him as George there," Stan said, recalling Harrison's pleasure at telling that story.

Harrison admired Perkins so much that when the Beatles performed in St. Louis in the mid-1960s, Harrison rented a car and drove south by himself. His mission, he would later tell Stan, was to find Carl Perkins.

"Now here's a 21-year-old Englishman driving an American-made car, probably on the wrong side of the road - I can just picture it - in search of Carl Perkins," Stan said. "He never did get to Jackson. He went a while and then turned around."

Even later in life, at Friar Park, Harrison's Victorian home in England's Henley-on-Thames, his personal jukebox was filled with Carl Perkins music from the heyday of Sun Records.

Henley and the two Perkins brothers met with Harrison several times in the last 15 years. The first time each met him was at his home in England in the 1980s.

In 1998, Harrison traveled to Jackson to pay his respects at Perkins' funeral. Two months after that, the trio spent a poignant evening with Harrison in Los Angeles, because he wanted to be close to Perkins again. That visit sealed a friendship they treasure more now after Harrison's death.

Read more @ The Jackson Sun
Freda_Peeple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2003, 06:20 AM   #2
DizzymissLizzy909
Sun King

Default Re: Perkins bros share fond memories of George :)

Aww, that's a nice article. Thanks for posting it! I like hearing about other people's memories of the Beatles.
DizzymissLizzy909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2003, 06:31 AM   #3
LuvLennon
Wild Honey Pie

What a heartwarming interview, Thanks!
LuvLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2003, 07:01 AM   #4
Siobhan
Old Brown Shoe

Thanks Freda. That's a great story about George driving off in search of Carl Perkins! Very nice article. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Siobhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2003, 04:33 PM   #5
Kasey1964
Rocky Raccoon

That was so beautiful. I remember watching a bio on Carl Perkins on a country music channel. There was a nice chunk about Carl's friendship with George. Carl's son was talking about George.(I forget which son.) You can tell how much he admired George.
Kasey1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2003, 04:49 PM   #6
Magill
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted By Siobhan:
That's a great story about George driving off in search of Carl Perkins!
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Yeah, that's my favorite part. Great story! Thanks again for posting it. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Magill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2003, 08:53 PM   #7
old_moon_shining
Taxman

Thanks alot for posting all of that Freda. Read it all through.
That photo of George at Carl's funeral has troubled me for a long time. That is the first time that I've seen it in colour. It really is the worst pic I have ever seen of our George.
old_moon_shining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2003, 09:03 PM   #8
FPSHOT
Sun King

Thanks for the article.

There is a recording of the tribute at the funeral. It has Waynonna Judd speaking and asking some people 'brothers' to come on stage amongst others George. And the actual Your True Love performance.

It is on a bootleg and also can be found on WinMX, that's where I got it from.
FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2003, 09:01 PM   #9
Savoy Truffle
Paperback Writer

Yes, I got that performance from WinMX too, a short time ago. What did you think of it FPSHOT, or anyone else who may have it?
Savoy Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2003, 01:10 AM   #10
FPSHOT
Sun King

It is some time ago that I heard it, but it is a short performance and from what I hear quite emotional and George seems somewhat 'shy'. Combined with the intro though it is what a 'tribute' should be.
FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2003, 07:08 AM   #11
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Thank you for posting this. The article was indeed moving and I also appreciate information about the bootlegs and the music.

Moon, I agree that the mustachioed George pic is not a good picture of him. I think a combination of his illness and grief over the loss of his friend, a man who influenced him musically accounts for this. IMHO George looked prime clean shaven.

I love the guitar gallery photo.
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2003, 11:22 AM   #12
Savoy Truffle
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted By FPSHOT:
It is some time ago that I heard it, but it is a short performance and from what I hear quite emotional and George seems somewhat 'shy'. Combined with the intro though it is what a 'tribute' should be.
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Totally. I think I remember reading that this was the first time he tried singing after his operation for throat cancer. His speaking voice seemed a bit weak but I thought his performance was quite good and very touching.

Very classy and brave thing for George to do. But that was very much the way he was!

Thanks for the response, FP [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Savoy Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 02:01 PM   #13
stratcatt
Fool On The Hill

Default Response from Wes Henley

Hello all, Just an interesting note to you folks about the "performance" by George at Carl Perkins funeral. George shared with me later that he was pressured by Wynona Judd to get up and sing. She would not take no for an answer and continued to yell for George and Garth to join her "onstage".He was troubled by this on many levels first he was only there to say goodbye to a friend he loved dearly, (this wasn't about him or The Beatles it was about Carl). Second he had just completed radiation therapy for throat cancer and was not sure what would happen if he tried to sing. He thought nothing would come out because he could barley speak. Third gets back to Wynona. He was angry with her as was Garth Brooks who also resisted getting up to sing. George asked me at our last meeting and I quote " Wesley, who was that red haired woman at the funeral that insisted I sing a song" I told him her name "Wynona Judd" His response speaks volumes about the two worlds he and Wy lived in. He said
"Who's that?"

I ran across this site by accident so I may not return for a while. If any of you would like to email me feel free, weshenley@charter.net
stratcatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 02:56 PM   #14
VersusBatman
Sun King

That was a great article.

It looks like they just put a whole lotta movies in a blender and turned it on really fast. - Myster Science Theater 3000

"They're dead grotty!" - George Harrison

Comic Book Guy: But, Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds... Oh, I've wasted my life. - The Simpsons
VersusBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 07:42 PM   #15
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

It sure was. It is nice to see what people who influenced George had to say and the bond they had with the youngest Beatle.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote