BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old May 28, 2012, 07:44 PM   #141
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Oh no he didn't!!!! 4iiiis, you rascal.

Well, where do we begin on the never-ending, fascinating rollercoaster ride that is the John and Julia relationship? I mean, John obviously adored his mother. And there is no question that theirs was a complex and confusing relationship- especially for a hormonally-active adolescent to try and understand. No doubt she was beautiful, spirited, and the epitome of womanhood to some degree- after Brigitte Bardot of course.

John's feelings were far more normal than some would like to think, especially considering he didn't really know Julia as a mother as much as a fun, youthful aunt. I wouldn't even question the validity of this audio. That is definitely John I hear and he is recounting his youthful thoughts. Maybe in a more exaggerated description than the reality. Maybe not.

What does everyone else think?

Last edited by Apple Scruff : May 28, 2012 at 07:50 PM.
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012, 07:46 PM   #142
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
You know I'm with you on this one, Scruffie!

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012, 03:32 AM   #143
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

I've read that white males who prefer Asian women are often incest victims.
misfittoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012, 03:58 AM   #144
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Cool I need a bit more time...

Quote:
Well, that's an interesting (but also quite hot ) subject.

First, I'll listen to the audio-file, think carefully about it and post my opinon later on, o.k.

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:33 AM   #145
Maia 66
Sun King

Default Bettina Derlien

John and Bettina in 1966:

I was listening to one of the Lost Lennon Tapes episodes in the car the other day, and Tony Sheridan said something interesting that prompted me to do a little research.

We've all heard about the Hamburg barmaid named Bettina who adored John and who used to do him special "favors" behind the bar between sets. Well, according to one site I visited, she was slim when she got knocked up by John, who insisted she get an abortion... which she did, and then supposedly developed some "glandular condition" that made her obese. Sheridan, however, told a different story... he said that Bettina was always very heavy and that she and John had a special bond. Apparently, she could get through to John when he was sad or upset like no one else, and they used to go out for long walks and to the movies.

Then I found this drawing and caption by Klaus:

John And Bettina - Often late at night, John was hanging over the bar, dead tired and sad. Bettina tried to cheer him up.

Wonder what the true story was with the two of them...

All I want is the truth

Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:56 AM   #146
wildewoman
Taxman

Default Ruebenesque girls, rejoice!

Well, well, well. Maybe there is more overlap between President Bubba and our John than we even imagined, Maia!

I have struggled with my weight all my life and it takes a very restrictive diet and immense devotion to regular exercise to keep my weight under control. If I relax on this regime, my body naturally drifts to Rubenesque proportions...so, I can't tell you how strangely happy this makes me....

--Oscar Wilde, The Critic as Artist
wildewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:36 AM   #147
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildewoman View Post
Well, well, well. Maybe there is more overlap between President Bubba and our John than we even imagined, Maia!
Yup... it appears so!

I've always thought it was cool that neither John nor Paul ever married beauty queens... I mean, all four of their wives were/are attractive women, but not exactly glamour goddesses like Pattie or Babs. [EDIT: Oops... looks like I've forgotten a wife. Just wishful thinking, I guess...Ms. Mills doesn't really count, does she??]

[EDIT: Hey, wilde... Chris Carter just mentioned a Beatlefair in San Diego on October 27th. I just checked the website, and it appears Tony Sheridan will be there. I dare you to go and ask him about Bettina! ]

All I want is the truth

Last edited by Maia 66 : Sep 30, 2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:25 AM   #148
wildewoman
Taxman

Default San Diego Beatlefair?

Thanks for the heads up on that one. You bet I'll speak with Sheridan! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:03 PM   #149
Apple Scruff
Sun King

I love how John is sitting LIKE A BOSS in that Bettina photo. He didn't even have to try. That's class right there.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:39 PM   #150
Fly
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post
John and Bettina in 1966:

I was listening to one of the Lost Lennon Tapes episodes in the car the other day, and Tony Sheridan said something interesting that prompted me to do a little research.

We've all heard about the Hamburg barmaid named Bettina who adored John and who used to do him special "favors" behind the bar between sets. Well, according to one site I visited, she was slim when she got knocked up by John, who insisted she get an abortion... which she did, and then supposedly developed some "glandular condition" that made her obese. Sheridan, however, told a different story... he said that Bettina was always very heavy and that she and John had a special bond. Apparently, she could get through to John when he was sad or upset like no one else, and they used to go out for long walks and to the movies.

Then I found this drawing and caption by Klaus:

John And Bettina - Often late at night, John was hanging over the bar, dead tired and sad. Bettina tried to cheer him up.

Wonder what the true story was with the two of them...
This was good! I think she looks like my kind of gal. And the fact that she spent so much time in the bar is testament right there- although current Fly would not doing as much of that as a devoted wife/mother. But old Fly would be chillin' with Bettina the barmaid any day any time. And I would demand her to bring John. Back off b1tches, he's mine.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:07 PM   #151
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up on that one. You bet I'll speak with Sheridan! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
So... how'd it go? D'ya ask him?! What'd he say?!

All I want is the truth

Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:49 AM   #152
wildewoman
Taxman

Unhappy Aww, shite, Maia...

I did go, with the Man of the House. The Man of the House runs his own small business, and his partner in said business, his father, died this summer. So since then, the Man of the House has been running said business by himself, seven days a week. Man of the House also suffers from a hella case of claustrophobia.

Sheridan, of course, was last on the bill, and I have to tell you the Man of the House wouldn't have made it until then.

Even so, I almost got the chance to talk to him. He was standing right behind me sometime hours before his performance, when some weathered old bleached blonde broad who looked like she's been ridden hard and put away wet many a time screamed out across the room, quite loudly in a Liverpudlian accent, "Tony, luv!" and Sheridan made a beeline for the backstage door with a look of terror on his face that was quite comical to behold. Truth was, this lady looked scary...anyway, Sheridan disappeared and Loudmouth Liverpool lady shouted "That's right Tony, slam the bloomin' door in my face, as always!" and huffed off toddling in her spike heels.

Man of the House and I just stood there looking on in amazement.

We waited for another hour but Tony never made a reappearance and the Man of the House was just about falling down.

So, sadly, I didn't get the chance to ask my question about Bettina....

Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:17 PM   #153
Maia 66
Sun King

Aw, too bad. Sounds like an entertaining evening, though...

All I want is the truth

Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:36 PM   #154
Maia 66
Sun King

Wow, who knew that Lunchlady Doris was one of the women in John's life?! Goes to show, ya never can tell...

All I want is the truth

Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:30 PM   #155
wildewoman
Taxman

Default Ahh, it's all so clear now...

Phase I, in which Doris gets her oats!

Makes complete sense now.

Last edited by wildewoman : Nov 19, 2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:23 PM   #156
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Phase I, in which Doris gets her oats!

I don't think this chick was one of the "Women in John's Life," but this photo was taken at the same party as that one of Paul and his girlfriend Dot Rhone.

Anyone know who she is?

All I want is the truth

Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:32 AM   #157
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:

I don't think this chick was one of the "Women in John's Life," but this photo was taken at the same party as that one of Paul and his girlfriend Dot Rhone.

Anyone know who she is?

I'm not so sure but John is looking waaaassssttted. I don't know if she was his girl or not, but I can imagine she may have taken a little bit of John with her that night, based solely on this pic and my own speculation.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:33 AM   #158
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Wow, who knew that Lunchlady Doris was one of the women in John's life?! Goes to show, ya never can tell...

Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:26 PM   #159
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
but John is looking waaaassssttted
Doesn't he, though?! The photo was taken in March of '62, so he was still a "free" man....

All I want is the truth

Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:34 AM   #160
johncharles
Nowhere Man

Does anyone know how Bettina was able to meet John again in 1966? Did he contact her or did she seek him out?