BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Act Naturally

Old May 07, 2003, 02:09 PM   #1
MaccaOnTheRun
Little Child

Default Movie Day

You know, yesterday I was bored, so I decided to rent some movies that had to do with the Beatles. They were, "How I Won The War", "I Wanna Hold Your Hand", and "The Rutles: All You Need Is Cash". (A bit off topic, but everytime I get a movie nowadays my parents ask me, "So which Beatle is in this one?") I was just wanted to state some things on these movies, and hope that some people might put up their opinions on the movies too! [img]graemlins/dork1.gif[/img]

How I Won The War: Silly movie, and had some cute things to quote. I'm still trying to comprehend all the jokes, but hey, some things are just meant not to be understood. Because of this movie though.. I've fallen in love with John's glasses.

I Wanna Hold Your Hand: Very funny, I've only watched it once though. But I could imagine fans doing some of those stunts just to see the Beatles. It was pretty cute on how almost everyone was touched by the Beatles in some way..

The Rutles: All You Need Is Cash: Ok, a few reasons why I saw this one. Number 1/2: Monty Python's Eric Idle. But I shan't go there. Number 1: GEORGE HARRISON! I spent the entire movie looking for him, and was quite proud when I found out that I spotted him on the first try. (Normally I wouldn't be so proud, but well.. I'm obviously a huge Paul fan, so I thought it would be a challenge for me to find George. Obviously not. Even when he is in desguise.) Very silly movie, and if you replace the words The Rutles with The Beatles, its a great anthology on them. With some humor!

Well, that's all I've got to say. Has anyone else seen these movies and what do you think? [img]graemlins/dork1.gif[/img]

[size="1"][ May 12, 2003, 07:00 AM: Message Edited By: Jerry ][/size]
MaccaOnTheRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 07, 2003, 09:29 PM   #2
lennon4
Paperback Writer

Send a message via AIM to lennon4
Default Re: Movie Day

Yes, I've seen all of them...here are my thoughts:

How I Won The War: Great movie. I pick up more and more each time I watch it. I don't think anyone who is not a huge John fan would be able to watch it more than a few times, though. I wish John had more of a role. Honestly...I don't care about that little red-haired man, anyway. lol...

I Want To Hold Your Hand: It's been a few years since I've seen this one. It was a fun little movie, though. Some of the characters crack me up (i.e. the man who was also in the movie "Splash").

Rutles: LOL!!! My absolute most favorite scene is the "Ouch!" section! I'm sorry, but that large native woman that's chasing them all over the place is hilarious! [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img]

-lennon4

[size="1"][ May 07, 2003, 09:31 PM: Message Edited By: lennon4 ][/size]
lennon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 07, 2003, 09:40 PM   #3
beatlegirl9977
Sgt. Pepper

I've seen at least part of all 3 of them...

How I Won the War: That's the one I haven't seen much of. I remember watching about the first 10 minutes of it on TV when I was about 10 years old, got kind of bored, and shut it off. I'll watch the whole thing one of these days...

I Wanna Hold Your Hand: AWESOME movie! Even my sister the non-Beatle fan loves watching it. My favorite part is when Rosie jumps out of the moving limo to get to the phone booth to win the tickets to the Sullivan show. "It would have been WORTH killing myself if I could have won!!"

The Rutles: Love it, too! I love all the stuff that's being stolen from Rutle Corps. while George is doing his bit (the guy carrying the phones out absolutely cracks me up!) My other favorite moment is "Nasty did not actually say the Rutles were bigger than God. He had said, in fact, that they were bigger than Rod... Rod Stewart would not be famous for another 10 years." [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img]
beatlegirl9977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 07, 2003, 10:06 PM   #4
lennon4
Paperback Writer

Send a message via AIM to lennon4

Quote:
Originally Posted By beatlegirl9977:
My other favorite moment is "Nasty did not actually say the Rutles were bigger than God. He had said, in fact, that they were bigger than Rod... Rod Stewart would not be famous for another 10 years." [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">LOL! I love that part, too (I'm not a huge Rod fan...like to pick on him when I can). The shot of Rod that they show is hilarious... [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img]

-lennon4
lennon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 08, 2003, 04:52 AM   #5
lennonluvr9
Sun King

Send a message via MSN to lennonluvr9

I have not seen How I Won The War yet but I would like to just to see what it's like...

I Wanna Hold Your Hand is in my top 10 fav. movies cuz it's so funny! I was so jealous when the beatles got in Larry Dubois' limo and Grace started takin pics of em even though they weren't the real beatles! Plus that kid Ringo (Richard) Klaus is hilarious I think. I also like how it has a different story with each character.

The Rutles is awesome! Also in my top 10. I love the Rutles! I saw that movie first at beatlefest two years ago when Neil Innes was there and I thought it was very funny! The songs are kinda cute too and my fav. moment in when a reporter guy is talking to Ron Nasty and Nasty says "Why don't you ask me where I've been?" and the reporter says "Where have you been?" and Nasty says "I'm not tellin ya."
lennonluvr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 08, 2003, 08:33 AM   #6
durstie
Dr. Robert

I've only seen 2 of these films
"All You Need Is Cash" whcih I've only seen once and that was many years ago. I do how ever recall thinking it was really funny after having watched Monty Python as a young teenager. I like the music too "Hold My Hand" and "Number One"

"I Wanna Hold Your Hand" it's one my favorites, I've seen it over 20 times and it still makes me laugh.

[size="1"][ May 08, 2003, 08:38 AM: Message Edited By: durstie ][/size]
durstie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 08, 2003, 04:25 PM   #7
Maggie Mae
Mr. Moonlight

Hmmm... I Wanna Hold Your Hand is the only one I haven't seen of the three. But it sounds funny, so maybe I'll rent it one of these days.

HOW I WON THE WAR: Not the greatest film, and to be honest, I nearly fell asleep watching it. It was confusing and hard to follow. I was quite disappointed when I discovered that John perhaps had ten minutes of screen time in total -- proof that his second billing on the front of the movie box was more of a "Hey look, it's a John Lennon movie!" ploy than anything. But Michael Crawford did a great job, and he has fast become one of my favourite actors from the 1960s!

THE RUTLES: ALL YOU NEED IS CASH: I thought this one was absolutely hilarious!!! I rented it for the two really obvious reasons (1: It was the brain-child of Monty Python God Eric Idle, and 2: It was obviously made as a spoof of the Beatles) and I'm glad I did. It's great because, even if you know nothing about the Beatles, you can still get the jokes because they're funny on their own (though you have to be quick to catch them, but if you're familiar with Monty Python, you would be expecting that.) But if you know the Beatles, and you know the little facts, the jokes are just that much funnier!

Great topic!!
Maggie Mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 09, 2003, 09:58 AM   #8
bitagirl
Bulldog

I've seen all three, but its been awhile. I like How I won the War, even though John had a small part.

I wanna hold your hand was really cute, I could picutre myself trying to do some of those stunts to see if the Beatles! LOL

And the Rutles...pure genius! I was dying of laughter and my brother was right along with me,a nd he's not even a Beatles fan! Gotta love Monty Python... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
bitagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 09, 2003, 01:27 PM   #9
MaccaOnTheRun
Little Child

Yay! People respond!

I have to agree with what you guys said about How I Won The War. John's part was small.. But I still giggle over how he let the water out of the roller to make it lighter. Then nobody would listen to him. But that's just me.

I Wanna Hold Your Hand was great. I absolutely loved how both Rosie and I knew all the answers to the quizes.. And everytime both of us were shouting how we knew the answers. It takes a good movie like that to bring out the fan in ya.

The Rutles was so silly, I really liked it. I love how Eric Idle was having troubles keeping up with the camara in the car. And how the Dirk and Nasty met at this spot.. Well, the spot a few feet back. [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img]
MaccaOnTheRun is offline   Reply With Quote