BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > And Your Bird Can Sing

Old Aug 04, 2003, 11:39 PM   #1
nigel64
Apple Scruff

Default White Album In Mono?????

I always heard the story when the White Album was First released that it was released only in the U.K. in Mono and that some of the Tracks like Back in the U.S.S.R., Helter Skelter , Piggies and Blackbird were different than the Stereo Versions, is this true ? Does anybody have a copy and are they different ? Would like to get some feedback on this !!!!!!
nigel64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 05, 2003, 12:51 AM   #2
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

Default Re: White Album In Mono?????

In the UK, the MONO format took a littlewhile longer to die out than it did in America. In America, the last LP to be released in MONO was Magical Mystery Tour, and since that format failed to sell, Capitol decided to release subsequant albums in stereo only. In the UK, the move to stop pressing mono copies didn't go ahead until the LP Yellow Submarine was released.

The MONO UK White Album is very rare and outsold the STEREO formay by a ratio of approximately 7:1. This is because MONO has become obselete. Stereo record players were now on the market as cheap as mono record players were, and the price for stereo copies was reduced so that they cost the same as MONO copies. This meant that everybody bought STEREO, leaving MONO on the shelf for only diehard Beatlenuts to buy [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

The mixes are different in almost every and some are completely different. Below is a list of some of the more notable discrepencies I could find:

</font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">"Back In The U.S.S.R."- The airplane overdubs occur in different places on the mono and stereo versions.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">"Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da"- The stereo version has hand-clapping during the intro, the mono version does not.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">"While My Guitar Gently Weeps"
- The stereo version has some vocal sounds from George at the end, the mono version does not.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">"Blackbird"
- The bird sound effects are quite different between the stereo and the mono release.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">"Piggies"
- The pig sound effects are quite different between the stereo and the mono release.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">"Don't Pass Me By"
- The mono version is much faster than the stereo, and therefore is shorter.
- The violin sounds at the end are markedly different.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">"Why Don't We Do It In The Road"
- The stereo version has hand-clapping during the intro, the mono version does not.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">"I Will"
- The stereo version has more prominent bongos.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">"Birthday"
- The stereo version has extra vocals at the end of the second chorus.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">"Sexy Sadie"
- The stereo version has two taps on the tambourine during the intro, the mono version only has one.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">"Helter Skelter"
-The stereo version has a fade-out/fade-in dummy ending with Ringo's shout of "I've got blisters on my fingers", the mono version does not ! ... this makes the stereo version almost a minute longer.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">"Long, Long, Long"
- The stereo version is fine, but on the mono, George's double-tracked vocal is embarrassingly out of synch.</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">"Honey Pie"
- The stereo version has a shorter guitar solo than the mono version.</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Taken from http://www.jpgr.co.uk - a fantastic discography source

[size="1"][ Aug 05, 2003, 01:55 AM: Message Edited By: Harbidge ][/size]
Harb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 05, 2003, 10:02 PM   #3
bearkat77
Administrator

I see that Harb has done his homework on this one, kiddies. [img]graemlins/wink3.gif[/img]
bearkat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 06, 2003, 06:32 AM   #4
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

LOL, well you have to know these things when you're the UK equilivant to Perry Cox [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old Aug 06, 2003, 07:20 AM   #5
Magill
Sun King

My good friend Dave gave me a boot of this for my birthday! [img]graemlins/thumbsup1.gif[/img] It is indeed different, as Harb illustrated.

[size="1"][ Aug 06, 2003, 08:20 AM: Message Edited By: Magill ][/size]
Magill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 06, 2003, 08:50 AM   #6
Number_09
Nowhere Man

Is there anything different on Revolution 9. 'Cause on the stereo version it kinda pans around a bit... I dunno if it can do that on mono.

[size="1"][ Aug 06, 2003, 09:51 AM: Message Edited By: Number_09 ][/size]
Number_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 04:07 AM   #7
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

Jeez, my ego was inflated there somewhat!