BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road

Old Mar 06, 2008, 12:15 PM   #41
edubeltran
Day Tripper

I don't know if I am mistaken but wasn't George the first to play with a 12-string Rickenbacker, later adopted by David Byrne from the BYRDS??
edubeltran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2008, 12:40 PM   #42
feelfab
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by edubeltran View Post
I don't know if I am mistaken but wasn't George the first to play with a 12-string Rickenbacker, later adopted by David Byrne from the BYRDS??
David Byrne was in Talking Heads, Jim (Roger) Mcguinn played the 12 string in the Byrds.
feelfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 09:19 AM   #43
Esmirelda
Sun King

Here's some others that I found by surfing around the web:

The first band to incorporate woodwind instruments, violins, and
symphony orchestras as well as exotic instuments, such as the sitar, into their music.

The first band to have all positions in the top five filled with their songs at one time.

The Beatles made facial hair popular among Rock and Roll musicians and young men everywhere.

The Beatles, along with their producer, George Martin, did away with the long outdated 4-track
recording techniques and introduced higher track recording than had ever been attempted before.
These recording techniques are still used to this day and was a major development in sound recording.
Until then, recording of music was essentially a performance recorded on tape. The Beatles made
it possible to record each sound seperately and then combine them on one single format.

The Beatles introduced "Psychedelic" and "Acid" Rock and by doing so, influenced fashion, music, and
lifestyle everywhere, forever changing how we dress and think.

The Beatles were the first to introduce backward tracking on a song called, "Rain". This was way before Jimi Hendrix ever thought about it!

The Beatles created the first music videos ie. Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane which were called,
"Promotional Films".

The Beatles were the first band to include posters and cut-outs with their albums.

The Beatles produced the first double album ever released by a Rock and Roll band or anyone for that matter.
"The White Album"

The Beatles were the first to produce a vinyl LP that was not "Black". "The White Album" officially titled,
"The Beatles" was produced originally on "white" vinyl.

The Beatles were the first Rock and Roll band whos members composed over 90% of their material themselves.
At a time when most musical groups had record company composers write their material. Because of this,
most groups write their own material to this day.

The Beatles wrote The Rolling Stones VERY FIRST Number #1 hit, "I wanna be your man."!

The Beatles were the first band to create their own record company,
"Apple Records".

The Beatles were the first band to publicize their belief in the legalization of marijuana.

The Beatles were the first band to openly experiment with alternative
forms of religion such as "Indian Mysticism" and "Transcendental Meditation.

The Beatles were the first Rock Band to produce a full length, animated film featuring themselves. "Yellow Submarine".

The Beatles were the first band to incorporate odd sounds, gibberish, and non-sensical phrases into their recordings.

The first song over 4 minutes long to ever be played on the radio was "Hey Jude".
Previously, Radio Stations would not play a song if it was over 3.5 minutes in length without severly shortening them.

The Beatles were the first band to speak out against the Vietnam War. Although it's not widely known, it was John Lennon who coined the phrases,"Make Love, Not War" and
"Give Peace A Chance". The latter is actually a song title.

The Beatles were the first musical group to be honored by it's nation with that nation's highest award.
The MBE, "The Most excellent order of the British Empire" was awarded to all four Beatles but, John Lennon returned his.

The Beatles were the first Rock and Roll band to ever break up by having to go to court to legally sever business relations from each other. "I WANT A DIVORCE!", John Lennon proclaimed.
Old Apr 02, 2008, 01:45 AM   #44
The Duke
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringo_rama View Post
I still wonder what John's solo work would have sounded like if he hadn't died right after the break-up.
Right after? Well, 11 years. And don't wonder what John's solo work would have been like, there are about 16 albums worth on sale right now at your local Tower Records!
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 02, 2008, 04:17 AM   #45
digdad
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmirelda View Post
The Beatles created the first music videos ie. Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane which were called,
"Promotional Films".
Paperback Writer and Rain were done before these.
Quote:
The Beatles produced the first double album ever released by a Rock and Roll band or anyone for that matter.
"The White Album"
Actually the first rock double albums are Bob Dylan's "Blonde on Blonde" and Frank Zappa's "Freak Out!", both 2 years before the "White Album". The first ever was a Benny Goodman album from 1950.
Quote:
The Beatles were the first to produce a vinyl LP that was not "Black". "The White Album" officially titled,
"The Beatles" was produced originally on "white" vinyl.
It was originally released on black vinyl. The white vinyl release didn't occur until 10 years later.

The internet can be an interesting place.

digdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 02, 2008, 05:08 AM   #46
zipp

Quote:
The Beatles were the first musical group to be honored by it's nation with that nation's highest award.
The MBE, "The Most excellent order of the British Empire" was awarded to all four Beatles but, John Lennon returned his.
The MBE is one of the LOWEST orders.
There was a war hero on the radio today who refused the MBE because it didn't reflect the fact that she'd almost been killed on several occasions during the second world war commanding thousands of resistance fighters.
I think the highest order is Knight of the Garter which some royalty get for doing next to nothing!
Old Apr 02, 2008, 12:29 PM   #47
ringo_rama
Old Brown Shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
Right after? Well, 11 years. And don't wonder what John's solo work would have been like, there are about 16 albums worth on sale right now at your local Tower Records!
I know, the comment was in response to someone saying that The Beatles Anthology came 15 years after the break-up, which would put the break-up in 1980.

Tower Records went bankrupt :(

Please visualize this whenever you read my posts:
Yay!!!!!!
-R_R: eradicating stupidity, one post at a time
ringo_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 02, 2008, 03:26 PM   #48
scouseofdistinction
Day Tripper

Quote:

The Beatles were the first Rock Band to produce a full length, animated film featuring themselves. "Yellow Submarine".
I thought they weren't affiliated with the production, or even the idea of that movie. Didn't they once say that they just appeared at the end, and that was their only involvement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp View Post
The MBE is one of the LOWEST orders.
There was a war hero on the radio today who refused the MBE because it didn't reflect the fact that she'd almost been killed on several occasions during the second world war commanding thousands of resistance fighters.
I think the highest order is Knight of the Garter which some royalty get for doing next to nothing!
Yup. The highest order is being knighted. But, the country announcing that they were receiving these awards were enough to create a public uproar on whether or not people believed they should be awarded them them or not. So, even if it is considered the lowest of the Order of the British Empire, it still has a great meaning towards the citizens, majority being those involved in the military.

Weren't they also the first band to make it, or be considered bigger than Elvis?
scouseofdistinction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2020, 10:20 PM   #49
frizxtes
Little Child

Feedback on I Feel Fine? Were they the first?
frizxtes is offline   Reply With Quote