BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Aug 28, 2011, 08:00 AM   #41
george_on_cloud9
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4iiiis View Post

trust me...you don't need to see the uncensored version!
Worse than the "two virgins" album cover?

Favorite Beatle: George (1943-2001)

Favorite Beatle year(s): 1966, 1967*, 1968

(*1967 was the year that My Guy was born... my favorite Guy...)

My Quote for George:
"A Butterfly Flying Around Me Saying Goodbye!"
(29/11/2001)
God Bless You, George... Love ya...

"GEORGE ! You just give me stripes, moustache and a smile... cause You're So Fine!"

Song to remember the Past: "In My Life"

Just call me Cloud or GOC9
george_on_cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2011, 08:50 AM   #42
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy66 View Post
Hi

Aaaah, THIS would highly interest me, as I'm looking since a long time for demos of John

Can you please tell me WHERE you find this "Dakota Demos" ??? Can't wait till you start this discussion. However, I understand if you'll wait a bit, as the "Imagine" discussion" has just started.Snoopy
Hi Snoopy-I don't know if your have the "Dakota Demos" yet, but here is a site that you can listen to the individual tracks, or preview them. Someone mentioned the "At Home" set too and they are also some of my favorite bootlegs (it's 2 CDs worth). I did check and there are sites that still have "Dakota Demos" for download--you can google it and you will see them, otherwise PM me and I can help you out if you wish. I like the discussion you mentioned Ms. Scruff about different demos, etc., and I can't think of anyone who would be better at it than you to get that whole dealio going whenever you have the inspiration. http://translate.google.com/translat...prmd%3Divnsfdo

Last edited by 834 : Aug 28, 2011 at 08:52 AM.
834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2011, 10:46 AM   #43
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by 834 View Post
Hi Snoopy-I don't know if your have the "Dakota Demos" yet, but here is a site that you can listen to the individual tracks, or preview them. Someone mentioned the "At Home" set too and they are also some of my favorite bootlegs (it's 2 CDs worth). I did check and there are sites that still have "Dakota Demos" for download--you can google it and you will see them, otherwise PM me and I can help you out if you wish. I like the discussion you mentioned Ms. Scruff about different demos, etc., and I can't think of anyone who would be better at it than you to get that whole dealio going whenever you have the inspiration. http://translate.google.com/translat...prmd%3Divnsfdo
834, thank you for providing us with this link! I am absolutely planning on starting a thread about John's demos. I was hoping to do it after the studio albums further down the road. This way, if need be, I can gather some of mine together. I won't lie, some of you are FAR more knowledgeable about chronology than myself. And in fact, many of you have in your possession demos I may not have even heard. So this thread idea has me intrigued. Perhaps in a little while, after the studio album analyses are finished, we can venture into the path of the demos or the compilations... I think it's up to everyone. Any discussion that interests others is the way I like it.(I mean, I could sit here and talk about John's hairstyles but would that be fair to those who are much more interested in deeper things? I think not!)

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Aug 28, 2011 at 10:47 AM.
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:10 PM   #44
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Hi

Thank's for reminding me of the "Dakota Demos"; I almost forgot that I mentioned them on the forum No, in fact I'm still looking for them(unfortunately I couldn't open your link). I will try again through Google; there are many links, but only few of them are actually of any help.

By the way, are the "Lost Lennon tapes", the "Dakota demos" and the demos "at home" all the same ? It's a bit confusing to me... I have some of the Lost Lennon Tapes though, but only 3 CD's.

To sum up, I'd be VERY grateful of any help and useful links

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 08:51 AM   #45
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy66 View Post
By the way, are the "Lost Lennon tapes", the "Dakota demos" and the demos "at home" all the same ? It's a bit confusing to me... I have some of the Lost Lennon Tapes though, but only 3 CD's.Snoopy
I'd have to check but I think some of the 'Dakota Demos' songs are part of "At Home" and most if not all of them are somewhere in all of the volumes of the 'Lost Lennon Tapes'. I'll check, otherwise no doubt someone here will correct me if I am wrong (that's what's nice about having all these Beatlebrains around). But the 'Dakota Demos' do have some different versions of those (same) songs included on the others and they sound clearer.

Last edited by 834 : Aug 29, 2011 at 08:59 AM.
834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 07:28 PM   #46
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
I'd have to check but I think some of the 'Dakota Demos' songs are part of "At Home" and most if not all of them are somewhere in all of the volumes of the 'Lost Lennon Tapes'.
The Dakota Demos is the same thing as At Home... and, yeah, I think just about all of the songs are also in The Lost Lennon Tapes. (What's NOT in The Lost Lennon Tapes??)

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 07:44 PM   #47
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post
The Dakota Demos is the same thing as At Home... and, yeah, I think just about all of the songs are also in The Lost Lennon Tapes. (What's NOT in The Lost Lennon Tapes??)
The only song I compared was "She's A Friend of Dorothy" and I think the "Dakota Demos" is a different version. "At Home" is nice because of quantity and "Dakota Demos" is a nice distillation. Makes me sad though when I listen to it. The songs are so dirge-like and you just get the feeling he is so alone.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 08:06 PM   #48
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
The songs are so dirge-like and you just get the feeling he is so alone.
Oh, yeah... I have always felt the same way about those demos. There's kind of a beauty in the sadness, though... I guess because John was just such a gifted songwriter that the loveliness of the melodies just took over. But definitely there's a heaviness and a lack of exuberance.

All I want is the truth

Old Aug 29, 2011, 09:03 PM   #49
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Make that a third person who agrees about the melancholy vibe of many of those demos. I get very touched by them, and then other times slightly saddened, and yet still other times I feel like "Damn! This man was so good at conveying emotions in his music." It's really amazing how many different ways those demos can move me.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 03:23 AM   #50
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
Make that a third person who agrees about the melancholy vibe of many of those demos. I get very touched by them, and then other times slightly saddened, and yet still other times I feel like "Damn! This man was so good at conveying emotions in his music." It's really amazing how many different ways those demos can move me.
Hi Scruffie

It's true that many of those tapes are rather sad. Obviously, John wasn't always full of enthousiasm at the the end of the 70's, like when he recorded "Double Fantasy". It seems that he felt quite lonely, so it doesn't match well with the image of the "happy couple" which John and Yoko were eager to show (or should I say trying to prove) in their last pictures, don't you think so ?

Still, as you say, I found these songs very emotional and that's the reason I'd like to collect them. I consider them sort of John's last musical testimony .

Snoopy
Old Aug 30, 2011, 06:39 AM   #51
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
I'd have to check but I think some of the 'Dakota Demos' songs are part of "At Home" and most if not all of them are somewhere in all of the volumes of the 'Lost Lennon Tapes'. I'll check, otherwise no doubt someone here will correct me if I am wrong (that's what's nice about having all these Beatlebrains around). But the 'Dakota Demos' do have some different versions of those (same) songs included on the others and they sound clearer.
Hi

Yeah, there actually exist different versions of certain songs, as I've already noticed in youtube. Some of them are in better quality, other are worse.. this makes the whole thing even more complicated...

Thank's for checking

Snoopy
Old Sep 06, 2011, 07:06 PM   #52
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Default Back on topic, lol!

What in tarnations is this tragedy? From the waist down, his outfit is perfectly normal but then he's got on some skin-tight pleather-like shirt and that little sweater vest...I usually ALWAYS love that sweater vest on him but maybe the way it's hanging or the length with the rest of the outfit is just not working. Johnny, you're only lucky you've got a perfect figure to somehow not look deplorable while wearing a cropped sweater vest over a vinyl or whatever shirt. And the pin, I can take the pin. I LOVE John in buttons and pins...but then he's wearing the man-purse and the strange smile. It's like he got dressed in the dark and really wanted to be happy.

And then poor Yoko. 1970's lighting on this pic is saving us all from whatever catastrophe is going on with her top, but perhaps a little, ahem, support could have been helpful. I guess I'm not sure if it's a monochromatic top and shorts over a striped sweater or a tweed jumper but it is NOT cute. Not cute at all.

I can only save John's belt and man-purse form this horrible array of mismatch and style failure. I will not remember this pic when I post in the fashion icon thread. I can forgive John this and maybe a handful of other moments. I mean, for someone who was constantly in the public eye he didn't have too many bad outfit combinations. But this is clearly an off day.
Old Sep 06, 2011, 07:21 PM   #53
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
but then he's got on some skin-tight pleather-like shirt
Yikes... could it actually be... polyester?!

Quote:
I usually ALWAYS love that sweater vest on him but maybe the way it's hanging or the length with the rest of the outfit is just not working.
It's just a bad hang in that shot... the vest is only waist-length, but usually that worked well on John.

Quote:
I guess I'm not sure if it's a monochromatic top and shorts over a striped sweater or a tweed jumper but it is NOT cute. Not cute at all.
Definitely in the "tragic" category. (FWIW, I think it's a hot pants jumper over a striped sweater.) Yoko was rockin' some very hip sexy hot pants looks in those days, but this one is a definite miss.

All I want is the truth

Old Sep 06, 2011, 07:37 PM   #54
Apple Scruff
Sun King

I normally LOVE Yoko's hotpants. I just can't get with this tweed version. And now that I look at John's outfit again I have to conclude it is the shirt that is destroying everything. That shirt is simply awful. He wore that same vest again a year or so later and looked stunning. But he had all his accessories and the rest of his outfit together. Damn that awful shirt.

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Sep 06, 2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old Sep 06, 2011, 09:42 PM   #55
Dr. Robert

1971 was not a good year for John fashionwise. I was thinking about that when one of youze said the New York years were the most interesting or whatever, but those Tittenhurst pictures and the vids from the 'Imagine' sessions are not John at his finest. 'Clumpy' is about the best adjective I can think of. His hair, the bad 70's vests are just..clumpy. The front of Yoko's shirts were especially big and low during that period.
Old Sep 07, 2011, 04:46 PM   #56
4iiiis
Mr. Moonlight

Ok, I will let the QUEEN of CAPTIONS, AppleScruff, give us something witty for this strange, weird picture!

4iiiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 07, 2011, 04:56 PM   #57
Apple Scruff
Sun King

John looks like a hipster king, Ringo looks infatuated with John, and George seems to want to get his knee as close to Ringo's knee as he can. Sweet, adorable picture. Lots of love for it. John looks so cool and definitely like the cool leader flocked by his two identically-dressed minions.

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Sep 07, 2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2011, 02:11 AM   #58
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4iiiis View Post
Ok, I will let the QUEEN of CAPTIONS, AppleScruff, give us something witty for this strange, weird picture!

Woow... and John looks like Buddy Holly with those thick glasses

Snoopy
Old Sep 08, 2011, 11:39 AM   #59
Maia 66
Sun King

^ Which one would you kick out of bed for eating crackers?

All I want is the truth

Old Sep 09, 2011, 06:31 AM   #60
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post
^ Which one would you kick out of bed for eating crackers?
Just Ringo & George

Snoopy