BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products



Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 22, 2007, 11:13 AM   #41
jtal909
Sun King
 
jtal909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 07, 2000
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 6,499

Default

Ringo, like George, had a tremendous amount of personality and originality in his playing, which in no small part made up his/their share of the beatles sound.

Yes, he was lucky to have been asked to join the Beatles, and the Beatles were lucky to have made the right choice by asking him to join and completing the famous chemistry equation.

Originality is everything (along side talent of course).
__________________
Why don't you say it in your famous James Mason impersonation?
jtal909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 04:40 PM   #42
brambiz
Fool On The Hill
 
Join Date: Apr 21, 2007
Posts: 3
Default

Nalem, they don't hate him...
As other people are saying, they just don't care as much as the other 3 members:

1. Because he didn't wrote the songs.
2. Because he didn't got to sing that many songs as John Paul or George.
3. Because he wasn't flashy, and didn't do any solo (Except on "The End" - Abbey road or ..."A Day in the life", if you ask any beatle fan, they'll tell you that Sgt. Pepper's drumming was the best)
4. Because his solo work was the least popular and least interesting.
5. Because the world is round.


But I as a beatle fan, would say that Ringo was essential to the Beatles, if you had another cocky member as Paul or John, the group would just go down in a few years. They needed a good, solid drummer that would let these geniuses play their songs. So I would have to say that I don't know anyone who hates Ringo, just probably isn't everyone's best.
brambiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 06:08 PM   #43
AmericanBeatle
Day Tripper
 
AmericanBeatle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 09, 2002
Location: Dunwoody, Georgia
Posts: 370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablofanque View Post
Ringo does get crapped on because of his drumming. He wasn't flashy or anything. Many people forget, however, Ringo was the first drummer that had a name. Up until then, the drummer literally was the guy in the back. But Ringo let the world know that drummers are an integeral part of the formula.

Plus to debunk the skill argument. In all of the Beatles recording sessions. Ringo only screwed up a take twice. In all the session time that was logged from 1962-1969. Only on two occasions did the tape stop because Ringo messed up. That's quite a testiment. Ringo was a metronome. He kept perfect time.
No kidding!
I had no idea. That's pretty cool! Maybe that's why he is hated? He hardly ever messes up (pounding the skins, that is), and us mere mortals can't compete.
__________________
I've just seen a face, I can't forget the time or place where we just met, she's just the girl for me and I want all the world to see we've met. . .(for my wife).
AmericanBeatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 07:44 PM   #44
beatlebangs1964
Moderator
 
beatlebangs1964's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 23, 2001
Posts: 37,559



Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmerman The Gnome View Post
They are if they have been hit in the face with a frying pan.
Anybody who would hit a dog with a frying pan should be brought up on charges of animal cruelty.
__________________
With a love like that, you know you should be glad, yeah, yeah, yeah!-- Beatles, 1963

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 11:19 PM   #45
NewScientist
Fool On The Hill
 
NewScientist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 14, 2007
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brambiz View Post
Nalem, they don't hate him...
As other people are saying, they just don't care as much as the other 3 members:

1. Because he didn't wrote the songs.
2. Because he didn't got to sing that many songs as John Paul or George.
3. Because he wasn't flashy, and didn't do any solo (Except on "The End" - Abbey road or ..."A Day in the life", if you ask any beatle fan, they'll tell you that Sgt. Pepper's drumming was the best)
4. Because his solo work was the least popular and least interesting.
5. Because the world is round.


But I as a beatle fan, would say that Ringo was essential to the Beatles, if you had another cocky member as Paul or John, the group would just go down in a few years. They needed a good, solid drummer that would let these geniuses play their songs. So I would have to say that I don't know anyone who hates Ringo, just probably isn't everyone's best.
I mainly agree although actually I think compartively, his solo work was pretty successful, and he was more than just a good solid drummer, he seen by many of today's successful drummer as being and innovator.
NewScientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 11:48 PM   #46
sadie
Sun King
 
sadie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 03, 2006
Location: Old Blighty
Posts: 5,818
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadLittleKid View Post
Hating Paul is arrogant.
I don't think he meant hate, i think he meant disliked, most people I know dislike Paul, or rather the least favourite, he is my least fave Beatle too, i think he just comes over across abit "I AM the Beatles" and abit smug but people have warmed to him alittle more since his divorce.....i certainly do not hate him. I think people consider Pauls music abit bland, twee and insipid over here too but anyway this is about Ringo and......

Ringo is well liked over here.

Last edited by sadie : Apr 22, 2007 at 11:50 PM.
sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 03:48 AM   #47
beatlebangs1964
Moderator
 
beatlebangs1964's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 23, 2001
Posts: 37,559



Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964
Default

I never thought Paul was smug. Yeah, Paul and George are my favorite Beatles and to this day I cannot understand how anybody could hate any Beatle.

As for Ringo, perhaps those who are charged with hating him might a) be jealous; b) not take him seriously and c) don't recognize his major contributions to the Beatles and to music in general.
__________________
With a love like that, you know you should be glad, yeah, yeah, yeah!-- Beatles, 1963

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 05:30 AM   #48
Exis_Beat
Day Tripper
 
Exis_Beat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 26, 2002
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Emily View Post
I think the reason some people dislike Ringo is because, as a drummer, he was not John Bonham or Keith Moon. He's not the flashy, in your face drummer. He just always kind of sat behind and kept the beat.

Of course, what people forget about Ringo is that it's not HOW he played, but WHAT he played. He litterally put the BEAT in the Beatles and if the Beatles didn't have that infectious beat, I'd be scared to think where music would be.

Bottom line: Ringo rocks. :)
Couldn't agree more. Sure, ole Ringo wasn't Moon or Bonzo, but I guess those guys, Ginger, Fleetwood et al are kind of a different breed of drummer )drummers, of course, are a strange species--what's the line? "If men are from Mars and women are from Venus, then drummers are from Pluto." Ringo is distinctly Ringo--there's nobody out there like him, especially in percussive prowess. Not just his personality, and we know he's got personality in spades, but his attitude, his drumming style is unique and immediately identifiable. I think that's what makes a great drummer, understated but prominent, vital but with no great hulking ego... Kind of how Charlie is in the Stones, take him out and it would be battle of the ego with Mick and Keith (well, moreso). Sure, Ringo was there doing his job, and doing it fantastically, but in his own distinct way... Who else could do the drum-fills in "A Day in the Life" or the perfect chargin rhythms of "Day Tripper"? for instance? As Ginger Baker said, "A band's only as good as it's drummer," and if that's true, then need I say more. But I will... a great rock drummer propels the rest of the band and hold the whole thing together, rather than veering off in a one hour solo. He made his drum-solo statement once in "The End" and that was enough. Never needed to prove anything else. Ringo does indeed rock, because he IS the rock of the band. As for "haters" of Ringo, well, they're definitely entitled to their opinion, but I'm not sure what they're looking for in a drummer, some kind of megalomanical superstar with arms ablur? Bloated '70s stadium rock proved how horribly wrong and grotesque something like that coudl be and how it could, well, get out of hand... Ringo never overstayed his welcome, and so, making him all that much more lovable.
__________________
If the Beatles or the sixties had a message, it was learn to swim. Period. And once you learn to swim, swim. - John Lennon.
Exis_Beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 05:46 AM   #49
BadLittleKid
Paperback Writer
 
BadLittleKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 01, 2006
Location: Thinking of Blinking
Posts: 2,859
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadie View Post
I don't think he meant hate, i think he meant disliked, most people I know dislike Paul, or rather the least favourite, he is my least fave Beatle too, i think he just comes over across abit "I AM the Beatles" and abit smug but people have warmed to him alittle more since his divorce.....i certainly do not hate him. I think people consider Pauls music abit bland, twee and insipid over here too but anyway this is about Ringo and......

Ringo is well liked over here.
Ah, that's only me and Zimmy starting it again. Two overgrown little boys...
__________________
Yours fictionally,

- Biggles
BadLittleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 07:22 AM   #50
NaomiMcCartney
Paperback Writer
 
NaomiMcCartney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 05, 2003
Location: Central upstate NY
Posts: 2,883
Send a message via Yahoo to NaomiMcCartney
Default

I don't think people hate Ringo, which I'm sure you meant dislike Ringo like BadLittleKid stated.

I think the reasons why people don't particulary care for Ringo have to do with not particularly caring for Ringo's singing and or music style when it comes to the songs that he does sing.

There are only two songs that I really like that Ringo does sing lead in and those are "I Wanna Be Your Man" and "A Little Help From My Friends"

For the most part I don't care for the songs that he sings, yet I do think he's an awesome drummer in many fine Beatle songs like "Strawberry Fields Forever", and "Rain" etc...
__________________
A perfect world could never exist. Perfect is never perfect. If we were all the same we would never be satisfied.




Last edited by NaomiMcCartney : Apr 23, 2007 at 07:23 AM.
NaomiMcCartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 11:43 AM   #51
Buckeye Beatle
Little Child
 
Buckeye Beatle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 10, 2006
Location: Ohio-USA
Posts: 87
Default

I personally like Ringo, let alone all the Beatles. Paul & George are my favorites, but not to the dislike of John or Ringo. I enjoy Ringo's personality. He's no nonsense, but very laid back. He like all the Beatles has a quick wit and could listen to him tell stories all day.
Someday soon I wish someone would sit down with Paul & Ringo together for about 4 hours maybe more and just let them go. Not ask so many direct questions, but give them a subject and let them run with it. That is something I would look forward to.
__________________
"You've got a lucky face.
Buckeye Beatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 12:05 PM   #52
Georgie Girl
Sun King
 
Georgie Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 31, 2005
Location: Sinkhole, Texas
Posts: 17,132

Default

I agree to that, I always enjoy interviews with either, but
both would be good fun.

One of my all-time favorite solo songs by any of the Fabs
is "It Don't Come Easy." I crank it up just as much as any
Beatles song.
__________________

The west is
the best.
Georgie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 12:20 PM   #53
VersusBatman
Sun King
 
VersusBatman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 19, 2006
Posts: 10,937
Default

Photograph is my favorite Ringo song.
__________________
"Truly, this man was the King of Pop." - Nostalgic Critic


It looks like they just put a whole lotta movies in a blender and turned it on really fast. - Myster Science Theater 3000

"They're dead grotty!" - George Harrison

Comic Book Guy: But, Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds... Oh, I've wasted my life. - The Simpsons
VersusBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 12:49 PM   #54
Georgie Girl
Sun King
 
Georgie Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 31, 2005
Location: Sinkhole, Texas
Posts: 17,132

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VersusBatman View Post
Photograph is my favorite Ringo song.
Co-written by you-know-who!
__________________

The west is
the best.
Georgie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 07:27 PM   #55
Beatle_soul
Dr. Robert
 
Beatle_soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 10, 2003
Location: Salt Spring island ,Canada
Posts: 1,179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlebangs1964 View Post
Anybody who would hit a dog with a frying pan should be brought up on charges of animal cruelty.


Basset hounds are not ugly! I want one! BB I was jjust saying things I have heard. and it's true people should be chardged for animal cruelty
__________________
Feed your Obsession at Fabular!
www.geocities.com/fabulararethebeatles
Beatle_soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2007, 12:59 PM   #56
getback
Wild Honey Pie
 
Join Date: Oct 10, 2003
Posts: 575
Default

good time to resurrect this link that includes many famous musicians' opinions on ringo's drumming:

http://web2.airmail.net/gshultz/drumpage.html
getback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 02:56 PM   #57
Ana_Lennon
Old Brown Shoe
 
Ana_Lennon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 08, 2004
Location: La Plata, Argentina
Posts: 3,913
Send a message via MSN to Ana_Lennon
Default

People don't tolerate his work with the beatles. While John, George and Paul were doing great music, making a revolution in that matter, Ringo wouldn't innovate too much, and people who isn't very much into the beatles don't forgive Ringo for that.

I think all he did was great, because the beatles music needed that, not much more. Ringo's drums contributed a lot to give a real style to their music. What he did is exactly what they needed.
__________________
Anabel Lennon
Ana_Lennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 03:21 PM   #58
beatles_gal
Rocky Raccoon
 
beatles_gal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 07, 2007
Location: the middle of beatlemania!
Posts: 455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablofanque View Post
Plus to debunk the skill argument. In all of the Beatles recording sessions. Ringo only screwed up a take twice. In all the session time that was logged from 1962-1969. Only on two occasions did the tape stop because Ringo messed up. That's quite a testiment. Ringo was a metronome. He kept perfect time.
wow, i didn't know that--that's awesome! i can't imagine playing for SEVEN YEARS and only messing up twice. surely that's some kind of record?

and to answer the original question, i agree with what several people have already mentioned--ringo isn't keith moon. that doesn't mean he was bad, he just wasn't insanely powerful and flashy.
__________________
I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?
--John Lennon
beatles_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 07:05 AM   #59
Zimmerman The Gnome
Sun King
 
Zimmerman The Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 02, 2005
Location: Elgin, Scotland
Posts: 5,595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadLittleKid View Post
Ah, that's only me and Zimmy starting it again. Two overgrown little boys...
__________________
HAPPY BEATLELINKS DAY!
Zimmerman The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 11:52 AM   #60
BrazilianFlag
Bulldog
 
BrazilianFlag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 22, 2002
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
Posts: 2,078
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlebangs1964 View Post
I never thought Paul was smug. Yeah, Paul and George are my favorite Beatles and to this day I cannot understand how anybody could hate any Beatle.
Or any musician for that matter... "Hate" is such a strong word to be used lightly...

Well, you know me - I'm a Ringoist. Perhaps because he wasn't a flashy drummer, perhaps because his down-to-Earth persona kept the other three lads in check, perhaps because he always seems to have the time of his life when playing (very important, that!) - or all of the above.

People don't take him seriously precisely of these conditions. He was just the drummer, in their opinion. But the drums are the heart of the band, so I'm bloody glad that Ringo was the heart of the Beatles!
__________________
Ubi spiritus est cantus est
(Where there is spirit there is song)
BrazilianFlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ringo confesses Beatles mayhem 'all pretty weird' beatlz Goodnight Vienna 7 Jun 16, 2010 08:57 PM
Ringo Starr set for Genesee June 24 I am the Paulrus Goodnight Vienna 19 Jun 28, 2005 10:21 AM
Ringo Starr to Save the World in Cartoon Series I am the Paulrus Goodnight Vienna 14 Jan 27, 2005 05:42 AM
1964-03-18 - BBC Radio - Paul McCartney, John Lennon, & Ringo Starr Jerry The Word 0 Jul 09, 2003 07:54 PM
2003-05 - Record Collector Magazine - Ringo Starr Jerry The Word 0 Jun 17, 2003 12:11 AM


Advertisements

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Site Features
Search Links

  Advanced Search
Category Jump



BeatleMail

FREE E-MAIL
@ BEATLEMAIL.COM


Username


Password




New User Sign-Up!
Lost Password?
Beatles History




Donate
The costs of running our database and discussion forum are steadily rising. Any help we receive is greatly appreciated. Click HERE for more information about donating to BeatleLinks.
Extras
» Chat Room
» Current News
» Monthly Contest
» Interviews Database
» Random Site
» Banner Exchange
» F.A.Q.
» Advertise
» Credits
» Legal
» Contact Us
Copyright © 2000-2020 BeatleLinks
All Rights Reserved