BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road

Old Apr 22, 2007, 11:13 AM   #41
jtal909
Sun King

Ringo, like George, had a tremendous amount of personality and originality in his playing, which in no small part made up his/their share of the beatles sound.

Yes, he was lucky to have been asked to join the Beatles, and the Beatles were lucky to have made the right choice by asking him to join and completing the famous chemistry equation.

Originality is everything (along side talent of course).
Old Apr 22, 2007, 04:40 PM   #42
brambiz
Fool On The Hill

Nalem, they don't hate him...
As other people are saying, they just don't care as much as the other 3 members:

1. Because he didn't wrote the songs.
2. Because he didn't got to sing that many songs as John Paul or George.
3. Because he wasn't flashy, and didn't do any solo (Except on "The End" - Abbey road or ..."A Day in the life", if you ask any beatle fan, they'll tell you that Sgt. Pepper's drumming was the best)
4. Because his solo work was the least popular and least interesting.
5. Because the world is round.

But I as a beatle fan, would say that Ringo was essential to the Beatles, if you had another cocky member as Paul or John, the group would just go down in a few years. They needed a good, solid drummer that would let these geniuses play their songs. So I would have to say that I don't know anyone who hates Ringo, just probably isn't everyone's best.
brambiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 06:08 PM   #43
AmericanBeatle
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablofanque View Post
Ringo does get crapped on because of his drumming. He wasn't flashy or anything. Many people forget, however, Ringo was the first drummer that had a name. Up until then, the drummer literally was the guy in the back. But Ringo let the world know that drummers are an integeral part of the formula.

Plus to debunk the skill argument. In all of the Beatles recording sessions. Ringo only screwed up a take twice. In all the session time that was logged from 1962-1969. Only on two occasions did the tape stop because Ringo messed up. That's quite a testiment. Ringo was a metronome. He kept perfect time.
No kidding!
I had no idea. That's pretty cool! Maybe that's why he is hated? He hardly ever messes up (pounding the skins, that is), and us mere mortals can't compete.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 07:44 PM   #44
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmerman The Gnome View Post
They are if they have been hit in the face with a frying pan.
Anybody who would hit a dog with a frying pan should be brought up on charges of animal cruelty.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 11:19 PM   #45
NewScientist
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by brambiz View Post
Nalem, they don't hate him...
As other people are saying, they just don't care as much as the other 3 members:

1. Because he didn't wrote the songs.
2. Because he didn't got to sing that many songs as John Paul or George.
3. Because he wasn't flashy, and didn't do any solo (Except on "The End" - Abbey road or ..."A Day in the life", if you ask any beatle fan, they'll tell you that Sgt. Pepper's drumming was the best)
4. Because his solo work was the least popular and least interesting.
5. Because the world is round.

But I as a beatle fan, would say that Ringo was essential to the Beatles, if you had another cocky member as Paul or John, the group would just go down in a few years. They needed a good, solid drummer that would let these geniuses play their songs. So I would have to say that I don't know anyone who hates Ringo, just probably isn't everyone's best.
I mainly agree although actually I think compartively, his solo work was pretty successful, and he was more than just a good solid drummer, he seen by many of today's successful drummer as being and innovator.
NewScientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 11:48 PM   #46
sadie
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadLittleKid View Post
Hating Paul is arrogant.
I don't think he meant hate, i think he meant disliked, most people I know dislike Paul, or rather the least favourite, he is my least fave Beatle too, i think he just comes over across abit "I AM the Beatles" and abit smug but people have warmed to him alittle more since his divorce.....i certainly do not hate him. I think people consider Pauls music abit bland, twee and insipid over here too but anyway this is about Ringo and......

Ringo is well liked over here.

Last edited by sadie : Apr 22, 2007 at 11:50 PM.
sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 03:48 AM   #47
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

I never thought Paul was smug. Yeah, Paul and George are my favorite Beatles and to this day I cannot understand how anybody could hate any Beatle.

As for Ringo, perhaps those who are charged with hating him might a) be jealous; b) not take him seriously and c) don't recognize his major contributions to the Beatles and to music in general.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 05:30 AM   #48
Exis_Beat
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Emily View Post
I think the reason some people dislike Ringo is because, as a drummer, he was not John Bonham or Keith Moon. He's not the flashy, in your face drummer. He just always kind of sat behind and kept the beat.

Of course, what people forget about Ringo is that it's not HOW he played, but WHAT he played. He litterally put the BEAT in the Beatles and if the Beatles didn't have that infectious beat, I'd be scared to think where music would be.

Bottom line: Ringo rocks. :)
Couldn't agree more. Sure, ole Ringo wasn't Moon or Bonzo, but I guess those guys, Ginger, Fleetwood et al are kind of a different breed of drummer )drummers, of course, are a strange species--what's the line? "If men are from Mars and women are from Venus, then drummers are from Pluto." Ringo is distinctly Ringo--there's nobody out there like him, especially in percussive prowess. Not just his personality, and we know he's got personality in spades, but his attitude, his drumming style is unique and immediately identifiable. I think that's what makes a great drummer, understated but prominent, vital but with no great hulking ego... Kind of how Charlie is in the Stones, take him out and it would be battle of the ego with Mick and Keith (well, moreso). Sure, Ringo was there doing his job, and doing it fantastically, but in his own distinct way... Who else could do the drum-fills in "A Day in the Life" or the perfect chargin rhythms of "Day Tripper"? for instance? As Ginger Baker said, "A band's only as good as it's drummer," and if that's true, then need I say more. But I will... a great rock drummer propels the rest of the band and hold the whole thing together, rather than veering off in a one hour solo. He made his drum-solo statement once in "The End" and that was enough. Never needed to prove anything else. Ringo does indeed rock, because he IS the rock of the band. As for "haters" of Ringo, well, they're definitely entitled to their opinion, but I'm not sure what they're looking for in a drummer, some kind of megalomanical superstar with arms ablur? Bloated '70s stadium rock proved how horribly wrong and grotesque something like that coudl be and how it could, well, get out of hand... Ringo never overstayed his welcome, and so, making him all that much more lovable.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 05:46 AM   #49
BadLittleKid
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadie View Post
I don't think he meant hate, i think he meant disliked, most people I know dislike Paul, or rather the least favourite, he is my least fave Beatle too, i think he just comes over across abit "I AM the Beatles" and abit smug but people have warmed to him alittle more since his divorce.....i certainly do not hate him. I think people consider Pauls music abit bland, twee and insipid over here too but anyway this is about Ringo and......

Ringo is well liked over here.
Ah, that's only me and Zimmy starting it again. Two overgrown little boys...

- Biggles
BadLittleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 07:22 AM   #50
NaomiMcCartney
Paperback Writer

Send a message via Yahoo to NaomiMcCartney

I don't think people hate Ringo, which I'm sure you meant dislike Ringo like BadLittleKid stated.

I think the reasons why people don't particulary care for Ringo have to do with not particularly caring for Ringo's singing and or music style when it comes to the songs that he does sing.

There are only two songs that I really like that Ringo does sing lead in and those are "I Wanna Be Your Man" and "A Little Help From My Friends"

For the most part I don't care for the songs that he sings, yet I do think he's an awesome drummer in many fine Beatle songs like "Strawberry Fields Forever", and "Rain" etc...

Last edited by NaomiMcCartney : Apr 23, 2007 at 07:23 AM.
NaomiMcCartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 11:43 AM   #51
Buckeye Beatle
Little Child

I personally like Ringo, let alone all the Beatles. Paul & George are my favorites, but not to the dislike of John or Ringo. I enjoy Ringo's personality. He's no nonsense, but very laid back. He like all the Beatles has a quick wit and could listen to him tell stories all day.
Someday soon I wish someone would sit down with Paul & Ringo together for about 4 hours maybe more and just let them go. Not ask so many direct questions, but give them a subject and let them run with it. That is something I would look forward to.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 12:05 PM   #52
Georgie Girl
Sun King

I agree to that, I always enjoy interviews with either, but
both would be good fun.

One of my all-time favorite solo songs by any of the Fabs
is "It Don't Come Easy." I crank it up just as much as any
Beatles song.

The west is
the best.
Georgie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 12:20 PM   #53
VersusBatman
Sun King

Photograph is my favorite Ringo song.

It looks like they just put a whole lotta movies in a blender and turned it on really fast. - Myster Science Theater 3000

"They're dead grotty!" - George Harrison

Comic Book Guy: But, Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds... Oh, I've wasted my life. - The Simpsons
VersusBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 12:49 PM   #54
Georgie Girl
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by VersusBatman View Post
Photograph is my favorite Ringo song.
Co-written by you-know-who!

The west is
the best.
Georgie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 07:27 PM   #55
Beatle_soul
Dr. Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlebangs1964 View Post
Anybody who would hit a dog with a frying pan should be brought up on charges of animal cruelty.

Basset hounds are not ugly! I want one! BB I was jjust saying things I have heard. and it's true people should be chardged for animal cruelty
Old Apr 24, 2007, 12:59 PM   #56
getback
Wild Honey Pie

good time to resurrect this link that includes many famous musicians' opinions on ringo's drumming:

http://web2.airmail.net/gshultz/drumpage.html
getback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 02:56 PM   #57
Ana_Lennon
Old Brown Shoe

Send a message via MSN to Ana_Lennon

People don't tolerate his work with the beatles. While John, George and Paul were doing great music, making a revolution in that matter, Ringo wouldn't innovate too much, and people who isn't very much into the beatles don't forgive Ringo for that.

I think all he did was great, because the beatles music needed that, not much more. Ringo's drums contributed a lot to give a real style to their music. What he did is exactly what they needed.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 03:21 PM   #58
beatles_gal
Rocky Raccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablofanque View Post
Plus to debunk the skill argument. In all of the Beatles recording sessions. Ringo only screwed up a take twice. In all the session time that was logged from 1962-1969. Only on two occasions did the tape stop because Ringo messed up. That's quite a testiment. Ringo was a metronome. He kept perfect time.
wow, i didn't know that--that's awesome! i can't imagine playing for SEVEN YEARS and only messing up twice. surely that's some kind of record?

and to answer the original question, i agree with what several people have already mentioned--ringo isn't keith moon. that doesn't mean he was bad, he just wasn't insanely powerful and flashy.
I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?
--John Lennon
beatles_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 07:05 AM   #59
Zimmerman The Gnome
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadLittleKid View Post
Ah, that's only me and Zimmy starting it again. Two overgrown little boys...
Old Apr 26, 2007, 11:52 AM   #60
BrazilianFlag
Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlebangs1964 View Post
I never thought Paul was smug. Yeah, Paul and George are my favorite Beatles and to this day I cannot understand how anybody could hate any Beatle.
Or any musician for that matter... "Hate" is such a strong word to be used lightly...

Well, you know me - I'm a Ringoist. Perhaps because he wasn't a flashy drummer, perhaps because his down-to-Earth persona kept the other three lads in check, perhaps because he always seems to have the time of his life when playing (very important, that!) - or all of the above.

People don't take him seriously precisely of these conditions. He was just the drummer, in their opinion. But the drums are the heart of the band, so I'm bloody glad that Ringo was the heart of the Beatles!