BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road

Old Jun 29, 2003, 08:04 AM   #1
SgtPepper1967
Fool On The Hill

Default What does everybody think of Yoko?

I just wanna see everyones opinion on Yoko.
SgtPepper1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2003, 12:31 AM   #2
bearkat77
Administrator

Default Re: What does everybody think of Yoko?

During the three years that I've been here, there have been 129 topics with "Yoko" in the title. Going back and looking over some of them, these four should give you a good idea of want past and present members think of Yoko Ono.

Jun 09, 2000 - Yoko

Jan 11, 2002 - Yoko Ono

Apr 18, 2003 - Do you like Yoko Ono

May 31, 2003 - Yoko Ono

[size="1"][ Jun 30, 2003, 12:32 AM: Message Edited By: bearkat77 ][/size]
bearkat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2003, 01:20 AM   #3
FPSHOT
Sun King

Sgt Pepper, I don't mean this personally at all, believe me, but why are Beatles fans asking these questions since 1970.

Like Bearkat wrote, there have been so many discussions about this already and I am very open for each discussion, but this about Yoko I just don't understand.

She was good for/with John, in most of their time he seemed really really happy and each relation has its ups and downs.

She did not break up the Beatles and besides, I still wonder if the 4 would have given the world the same quality of music as a band in the Seventees and further on than they do till today with the combination of the work as a band and solo.

No one here knows Yoko.

That's my 2 cents, again.

[size="1"][ Jun 30, 2003, 09:05 AM: Message Edited By: FPSHOT ][/size]
FPSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2003, 07:21 AM   #4
ghfan1965
Apple Scruff

All I can add is that John loved Yoko a lot since he wanted her with him all the time. She loved him as much. I don't even know the woman and I certainly can't say that I like or dislike her.
ghfan1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2003, 10:05 AM   #5
lennon4
Paperback Writer

Send a message via AIM to lennon4

Thank you, Kat! I was just about to go find some topics, since they seem to pop up every other week or so, but you did all the work! [img]graemlins/thumbsup1.gif[/img]

-lennon4
lennon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2003, 10:08 AM   #6
lennon4
Paperback Writer

Send a message via AIM to lennon4

Btw, I always find it somewhat funny that a member will ask others' opinions, without giving their own. Be bold! Speak your mind...that way the discussion can actually go somewhere.

And even though I've answered this question a lot in other threads, I like Yoko. My interactions with her have always been positive, so I have no reason not to like her.

-lennon4
lennon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2007, 06:50 PM   #7
Revolution1999
Dr. Robert

Yoko's OK In My Book!
Old Apr 07, 2007, 09:16 PM   #8
LinkTGF
Apple Scruff

Personally I don't like her - neither as a musician or human - that's not to say she's not good at either, it's just my opinion of her and really I have no say in the matter anyways

As for if she was good for John or not, that's a matter of personal debate and I'm not really into that although I'll offer that him and May Pang seemed to be much happier together, and it seemed he had more freedom and was more like his old self (from the accounts) when he was with her

I Buried Paul... There I Admit It, I'll Even Tell You Where, Outside Behind Abbey Road Studios, It Was Great Fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62hofner View Post
Man, when I hear songs like "All You Need Is Love" and "Let It Be" it makes me want to grab a baseball bat and go out to crack some skulls!
LinkTGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2007, 09:31 PM   #9
Lady Madonna
Bulldog

I like her. She provided stability for John, which he needed. I don't "get" her art though. It's over my head.
Lady Madonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 08, 2007, 01:43 AM   #10
BadLittleKid
Paperback Writer

Beatles was going to break-up anyway, she's ok in my book too.

- Biggles
BadLittleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 08, 2007, 06:37 AM   #11
Revolution1999
Dr. Robert

But I Dont Like That Yoko Had To Sit Right Next To John During The "Let It Be" Sessions.
Old Apr 08, 2007, 07:09 AM   #12
milina
Fool On The Hill

Well, I used to dislike her, but I kind of respect her now with all the things she does for charity and John's fans.
I mean people have been b*tching at her for decades, and she's still nice enough to release rare versions of songs and new dvds and things. I think she deserves more respect than she gets. But I'm not a fan of the Beatle-era Yoko.
milina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 08, 2007, 07:11 AM   #13
Revolution1999
Dr. Robert

Welcome To The Fourm,milina!
Old Apr 08, 2007, 07:38 AM   #14
milina
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution1999 View Post
Welcome To The Fourm,milina!
Thank you, Revolution1999. :)
milina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 08, 2007, 11:21 AM   #15
BadLittleKid
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution1999 View Post
But I Dont Like That Yoko Had To Sit Right Next To John During The "Let It Be" Sessions.
She sat next to him in toilet too. Nothing too extraordinary in that studio thing IMHO.

- Biggles
BadLittleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 08, 2007, 01:44 PM   #16
VersusBatman
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Madonna View Post
I like her. She provided stability for John, which he needed. I don't "get" her art though. It's over my head.
I don't get her art either. But then, I never liked avant garde anyway.

It looks like they just put a whole lotta movies in a blender and turned it on really fast. - Myster Science Theater 3000

"They're dead grotty!" - George Harrison

Comic Book Guy: But, Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds... Oh, I've wasted my life. - The Simpsons
VersusBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 08, 2007, 01:53 PM   #17
sourmilkpinky
Sun King

my mother loved Yoko...and her art....
sourmilkpinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 09, 2007, 09:28 AM   #18
AMBOISVERT
Dr. Robert

I don't think about Yoko, beyond the fact that I can't stand her voice when she sings. I don't think about Linda McCartney either, or Patti Harrison, or any of the other Beatle spouses or girlfriends. Its not out of disrespect to them; the Beatle's loves were not Beatles themselves. And I think that, even now, they deserve at least some of the privacy we would hope for for our own families. Imagine an internet thread about anyone you love (or even loved) called "What Do You Think about _________." Isn't it a little bit scary?

I realize that Yoko is hardly shy about publicity or controversy, but I still think that we should bear in mind that just because we are all fans, that doesn't automatically make it our business.

Last edited by AMBOISVERT : Apr 09, 2007 at 05:28 PM.
AMBOISVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 09, 2007, 10:23 AM   #19
Fred_is_Dead_Hoax
Fool On The Hill

She's fine in my book, sure. I like her art. (:
Threads like this bother me though.

The world may never know...

Fred_is_Dead_Hoax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 09, 2007, 10:44 AM   #20
LinkTGF
Apple Scruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMBOISVERT View Post
I don't think about Yoko, beyond the fact that I can't stand her voice when she sings. I don't think about Linda McCartney either, or Patti Harrison, or any of the other Beatle spouses or girlfriends. Its not out of disrespect to them; the Beatle's loves were not Beatles themselves. And I think that, even now, they deserve at least some of the privacy we would hope for for our own families. Imagine an internet thread about anyone you love (or even loved) called "What Do You Think about _________." Isn't it a little bit scary.

I realize that Yoko is hardly shy about publicity or controversy, but I still think that we should bear in mind that just because we are all fans, that doesn't automatically make it our business.
Well I think it's perfectly reasonable to ask others opinions on Yoko - IMO, she put herself into the spotlight with John and unlike the other Beatle wives she pretty much made herself an honorary Beatle, especially during the recordings - I can't recall a time when Heather or Patti came into Abbey Road and told Paul or George how to play their parts

Personally, that's what did it for me in that respect for her involvment with the Beatles - If anyone is familiar with the Metallica documentary "Some Kind of Monster" this might make sense:

It's cool to bring new blood into the space to help break tension or to help get things across better without confrontation, but once that new element starts interacting in a way that disrupts the original way of doing things it becomes a problem.

Case in pont, Phil Towle. Towle was the 'therapist' Metallica hired to mediate the band's meetings and to help them express themselves to each other without causing rifts. Towards the end of his tenure with the band he started to write lyrics for James and become involved with the band in a way as if he WAS in the band. This caused NOTICIBLE problems for the other guys who didn't want this 'outsider' to be part of their inner creative process

I think of Yoko's involvement in the band this way - she was an outsider who started to think she was part of the band and I can understand why everyone else didn't like that - it's perfectly apparent in the Metallica doc how that kind of situation plays out and I'm sure if Let It Be were to be recut it would play out in pretty much the same way.

I don't hate Yoko, but I certainly don't like her. I feel she hindered John's creativity (and for those naysayers, think about her effect on his personal life after the Beatles, not to mention comparing accounts of him when he was with May Pang and when he was with Yoko) he was 2 completely different people.

That's all just my opinion though

I Buried Paul... There I Admit It, I'll Even Tell You Where, Outside Behind Abbey Road Studios, It Was Great Fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62hofner View Post
Man, when I hear songs like "All You Need Is Love" and "Let It Be" it makes me want to grab a baseball bat and go out to crack some skulls!
LinkTGF is offline   Reply With Quote