BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road

Old Apr 15, 2007, 04:58 PM   #1
nalem
Fool On The Hill

Default Why do people hate Ringo Starr?

Hello, I'm nalem and I'm writing a paper on Ringo Starr.

Over the past few years I've been a Beatles fan. But I know of many people who have a large distaste for Ringo Starr. The hate spans from young adults in their late teens and early twenties to fans from when the band was still together. I thought perhaps the older fans hate Ringo Starr because they preferred Pete Best. But what do the younger fans know of him? Why should they hate Ringo? I just can't find the answer.

If anybody knows with perhaps some proof (any names of sources, like books, essays) that would be swell. Thank you.
nalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2007, 05:43 PM   #2
Revolution1999
Dr. Robert

You Know What, PETE BEST SUCKS! RINGO RULES! I Love Ringos New Album And I Dont Care What Other People Say About Him,Because Every Kid In My CCD Class Likes Ringo The Best!(Well,There's This One Girl Who's A Jerk That Hates The Beatles,But No One Even Talks To Her!)

It's Just A Myth That People Hate Ringo!

Last edited by Revolution1999 : Apr 15, 2007 at 05:50 PM.
Revolution1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2007, 05:51 PM   #3
nalem
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution1999 View Post
You Know What, PETE BEST SUCKS! RINGO RULES! I Love Ringos New Album And I Dont Care What Other People Say About Him,Because Every Kid In My CCD Class Likes Ringo The Best!(Well,There's This One Girl Who's A Jerk That Hates The Beatles,But No One Even Talks To Her!)
Well it's not about what you think, it's about what haters think. :P I don't hate Ringo either but I know people who do. That's why I'm trying to find answers to why people hate Ringo. Oh yeah, I got a kid in my Drawing class who hates the Beatles too.
nalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2007, 05:54 PM   #4
Revolution1999
Dr. Robert

But Maybe People Hate Ringo Because....He Wasnt As Talented As The Other Beatles? I Don't Know. I Think He's Talented.

Maybe People Hate Ringo Because......He Has A Big Nose?

He Has A Big Heart To Me.I Dont Care What His Nose Looks Like.

Last edited by bearkat77 : Apr 16, 2007 at 08:11 PM.
Revolution1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2007, 07:15 PM   #5
Miss Emily
Fool On The Hill

I think the reason some people dislike Ringo is because, as a drummer, he was not John Bonham or Keith Moon. He's not the flashy, in your face drummer. He just always kind of sat behind and kept the beat.

Of course, what people forget about Ringo is that it's not HOW he played, but WHAT he played. He litterally put the BEAT in the Beatles and if the Beatles didn't have that infectious beat, I'd be scared to think where music would be.

Bottom line: Ringo rocks. :)
Miss Emily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2007, 09:11 PM   #6
pablofanque
Fool On The Hill

Ringo does get crapped on because of his drumming. He wasn't flashy or anything. Many people forget, however, Ringo was the first drummer that had a name. Up until then, the drummer literally was the guy in the back. But Ringo let the world know that drummers are an integeral part of the formula.

Plus to debunk the skill argument. In all of the Beatles recording sessions. Ringo only screwed up a take twice. In all the session time that was logged from 1962-1969. Only on two occasions did the tape stop because Ringo messed up. That's quite a testiment. Ringo was a metronome. He kept perfect time.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 12:23 AM   #7
TheRubiksCube
Day Tripper

Send a message via AIM to TheRubiksCube Send a message via MSN to TheRubiksCube Send a message via Yahoo to TheRubiksCube

I don't know, really... My mom's always told me that Ringo was pretty popular 'back in the day,' and now he's not. I think people have just grown more critical of him over the years. A lot of people think he's a crappy drummer and that he brings the band down and that he has a bad voice and blah, blah, blah.

Also, I suppose he's just gotten kind of lost in the shuffle lately. He's never been a flashy guy - in fact, he's always been pretty carefree and laidback, so he's rarely in the news/tabloids. As people have said, he wasn't/isn't a flashy drummer, so I guess people kind of forget about him sometimes as well.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but maybe that's just because I'm a HUGEEEE Ringo fan... I just can't wrap my mind around it. :P
I am the eggman, they are the eggmen
I am the walrus, goo goo g'joob
TheRubiksCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2007, 01:12 AM   #8
El Gos Coix
Wild Honey Pie

I've never found anybody who hates Ringo. For most people, he's not their favourite Beatle, although they find him likeable.

It's true many people think he's not a great drummer, but I wouldn't call that "hating" him, but "underestimating" him. And I've found that those people usually "hate" (or "underestimate") Paul and George, too (John, for some reason, seems to be above all that, although in my opinion, technically speaking, he was worse than George or Paul). Simply because, as you've already said, none of them was flashy. The maxim 'less is more' isn't very popular nowadays, but I think that's one of the things the Beatles did best. Why add more notes when the ones there are are already perfect for it? They put their playing at the service of their songs, not the other way round. What's so bad in that?
Old Apr 16, 2007, 03:09 AM   #9
sadie
Sun King

I my experience its been the Paul that has always been disliked (over here anyway) and Ringo thought of very fondly, ok so people knocked his drumming alittle but everybody loves his personality.

Hate is a strong word and not met anybody in my 32 years of being a fan who hated any of them.
sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2007, 03:38 AM   #10
NewScientist
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRubiksCube View Post
I don't know, really... My mom's always told me that Ringo was pretty popular 'back in the day,' and now he's not. I think people have just grown more critical of him over the years. A lot of people think he's a crappy drummer and that he brings the band down and that he has a bad voice and blah, blah, blah.

Also, I suppose he's just gotten kind of lost in the shuffle lately. He's never been a flashy guy - in fact, he's always been pretty carefree and laidback, so he's rarely in the news/tabloids. As people have said, he wasn't/isn't a flashy drummer, so I guess people kind of forget about him sometimes as well.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but maybe that's just because I'm a HUGEEEE Ringo fan... I just can't wrap my mind around it. :P
I actually think people are more appreciative of him as a drummer now. In the 60s, 70s and 80s it was kind of accepted that he wasn't that good. Where as nowadays he is often quoted as one of the greats by people like Dave Grohl and Steve White.
NewScientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2007, 03:54 AM   #11
BadLittleKid
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalem View Post
Hello, I'm nalem and I'm writing a paper on Ringo Starr.

Over the past few years I've been a Beatles fan. But I know of many people who have a large distaste for Ringo Starr. The hate spans from young adults in their late teens and early twenties to fans from when the band was still together. I thought perhaps the older fans hate Ringo Starr because they preferred Pete Best. But what do the younger fans know of him? Why should they hate Ringo? I just can't find the answer.

If anybody knows with perhaps some proof (any names of sources, like books, essays) that would be swell. Thank you.
The "We Want Pete" fans hardly exsist in any great number anymore. The teens who hate Ringo mostly criticize his use of only one bass drum but that is not even a proper argument. The fact that Ringo didn't write as good songs as the other three is ridiculous because many bands don't have even that many good songs as Ringo alone has. About 99% of the criticism Ringo gets is totally off-balance, anachronical and made up by teens whose information is derived from some radio DJ's in-between chatter.

- Biggles
BadLittleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2007, 05:26 AM   #12
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy

I would agree that Paul certiainly has the reputation of being hated more than Ringo....mind you I'm not writing a paper on it so you'd have a better idea nalem!!

An attitude that I have come across before is that Ringo was just very, very lucky and that it could have been anyone and it was just a matter of right place, right time. Don't worry Ringo fans, as if I let anyone get away with that!! I think the reason for any hatred against Ringo would be that people are jealous....that is usually why somone hates someone else when there is absolutely no reason to.
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2007, 08:06 AM   #13
VersusBatman
Sun King

I've never known anyone who hated Ringo. Indifference? Yes.

It looks like they just put a whole lotta movies in a blender and turned it on really fast. - Myster Science Theater 3000

"They're dead grotty!" - George Harrison

Comic Book Guy: But, Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds... Oh, I've wasted my life. - The Simpsons
VersusBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2007, 09:00 AM   #14
Georgie Girl
Sun King

I think people have underestimated Ringo's importance to the Beatles. For one thing, drummers are often undervalued in general anyway, and Ringo was not one of the creative forces in the Beatles. He was, however, one of the most versatile drummers in rock--would have to be to play on the variety of songs the Beatles played throughout their years together. Plus, in the early years of their fame, Ringo helped give the band recognizability and personality. He was their comic relief and their "show-biz" side. Maybe that did not serve him well later, as he went into a solo career, and he was not remembered by the general public as being a "serious" musician, although most Beatle fans know better.

The west is
the best.
Georgie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2007, 12:11 PM   #15
Siobhan
Old Brown Shoe

I remember my mum didn't like Ringo very much. She was always a fan of the music more than anything else, and she didn't think much of him musically, particularly his voice, and I think she thought he was just a bit daft. But then when they first aired the Anthology she watched bits and pieces of it and afterwards she actually said he seemed like a really nice bloke.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 12:24 PM   #16
BadLittleKid
Paperback Writer

The simple reason why someone would hate Ringo is that he is a star and a drummer. Not many reach that status, and he was a star (in Liverpool) even before he joined the Rolling Stones.

- Biggles
Old Apr 16, 2007, 07:41 PM   #17
AMBOISVERT
Dr. Robert

I think there was a time when some people felt that perhaps Ringo had become a bit of an embarrassment, mostly in the seventies and eighties. I am not exactly sure why this is—his solo music is actually pretty good. But the drinking problems, the embarassing acting decisions (Caveman!). I think there was a sense that Ringo had "forgotten his place" as a drummer, which was, as someone astutely pointed out, in the back of a band. Why was the weakest singer and songwriter of the Beatles trying to make it as a frontman? And he wasn't even a flashy drummer, like Ginger Baker.

I hasten to add that I don't believe any of this personally. Ringo's drumming makes me sit up and pay attention where a lot of "better" drummers just leave me bored or annoyed by their self-indulgence. But Nalem is right, it is a common prejudice; and it is true to the origin of that word: these people have usually decided Ringo is lame without seriously listening to him

AMBOISVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2007, 10:44 PM   #18
LovinLennon909
Taxman

Nobody hates Ringo. Some people may hate John, some may hate Paul (very few hate George) but absolutely no one hates Ringo.

Ringo may not be a flashy drummer, but I read somewhere that recording only broke down about half a dozen times because of an error on Ringo's part, during the Beatles' entire career. I have no way of knowing if that's true or not, but I do know he's super consistent, even if he's not quite that consistent.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 01:29 AM   #19
BadLittleKid
Paperback Writer

Not sure about that Caveman being too bad, embarrassing it may be but it belongs to those stupid movies you may need to watch at times.

- Biggles
Old Apr 17, 2007, 08:11 AM   #20
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Maybe they are jealous of his hair.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote