BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road

Old Aug 31, 2010, 09:26 AM   #81
Unknown Delight
Nowhere Man

I have attended two Fests' in Chicago..and would have to agree that it is a very mixed bag as far as ages respresented.

Everyone here does not need to be told that music, Beatles music in particular, crosses all boundries when it comes to age. This is one of the things i enjoyed about the experience of attending a Fest - the wide age spectrum. There are ALL ages...literally...from toddlers up to senior citizens! The mix is great...young n old...from all walks of life. This is what makes going to such a event interesting and entertaining.

I would'nt say i 'met a lot of people' though. I thought it would be a more open event ...as in, people being more open and forthcoming in conversations for such a large attendence. In the end i felt a bit alienated. Others will of course experience it differently..but for the lone attendee it became a bit depressing for me. The exact opposite effect happened...instead of feeling 'part of the fun' and 'included'..i left feeling a bit 'left out'.

Thus why i stopped attending. That, and losing my Art Show entry ( still hoping for it's return...see previous post i made in this thread)

On a happier note, when i did attend i found these two activities the most enjoyable-

The perpetual improptu musicians' 'jam' under the stairs on the floor level of hotel. Loved just hanging out here watching the folks play and sing...had the most communal vibe of anything else going on...and one does not have to pay for a ticket to expereince this.

'Liverpool'. Nuf' said!

www.youtube.com/user/pizzatimeplayer

Last edited by Unknown Delight : Aug 31, 2010 at 09:31 AM.
Unknown Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2010, 01:35 PM   #82
JohnWOL
Little Child

Thanks for all the input! It will definatly be something I'll attend in the future. I'm sorry that it didn't work out the best for you, and I hope you find your entry!
Old Aug 31, 2010, 02:54 PM   #83
Unknown Delight
Nowhere Man

Thanks John..i hope i do too!

Regarding the Fest- YES, definately check it out when it is back in town next year. They have it at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare every year ( nice place ..) and despite my experience i highly recommend at least trying it once. It really is quite a thing and i am fairly sure you would love it. I did too my first time...

The main attraction is the live entertainment ( exspecially 'Liverpool's concerts each night), the improptu musicians gatherings ( i mentioned above) and the massive marketplace/swap meet. There are also some pretty impressive collections on display, as well as art galore and enough going on to keep every age group entertained and interested. For locals, one can show up and enjoy some aspects of it without paying for a ticket ( mostly the improptu jams and simply hanging out with hundreds of BeatleFreaks). For the hard core stuff, entertainment, and marketplace you will need to purcahse a ticket. For locals i see this event as pretty much a 'must do'...at least once.

Definately make plans for visting next year. It will be in August again, usually they have it the same weekend every year.

www.youtube.com/user/pizzatimeplayer

Last edited by Unknown Delight : Aug 31, 2010 at 02:55 PM.
Unknown Delight is offline   Reply With Quote