BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road

Old Apr 15, 2007, 04:58 PM   #1
nalem
Fool On The Hill

Default Why do people hate Ringo Starr?

Hello, I'm nalem and I'm writing a paper on Ringo Starr.

Over the past few years I've been a Beatles fan. But I know of many people who have a large distaste for Ringo Starr. The hate spans from young adults in their late teens and early twenties to fans from when the band was still together. I thought perhaps the older fans hate Ringo Starr because they preferred Pete Best. But what do the younger fans know of him? Why should they hate Ringo? I just can't find the answer.

If anybody knows with perhaps some proof (any names of sources, like books, essays) that would be swell. Thank you.
nalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2007, 05:43 PM   #2
Revolution1999
Dr. Robert

You Know What, PETE BEST SUCKS! RINGO RULES! I Love Ringos New Album And I Dont Care What Other People Say About Him,Because Every Kid In My CCD Class Likes Ringo The Best!(Well,There's This One Girl Who's A Jerk That Hates The Beatles,But No One Even Talks To Her!)

It's Just A Myth That People Hate Ringo!

Last edited by Revolution1999 : Apr 15, 2007 at 05:50 PM.
Revolution1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2007, 05:51 PM   #3
nalem
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution1999 View Post
You Know What, PETE BEST SUCKS! RINGO RULES! I Love Ringos New Album And I Dont Care What Other People Say About Him,Because Every Kid In My CCD Class Likes Ringo The Best!(Well,There's This One Girl Who's A Jerk That Hates The Beatles,But No One Even Talks To Her!)
Well it's not about what you think, it's about what haters think. :P I don't hate Ringo either but I know people who do. That's why I'm trying to find answers to why people hate Ringo. Oh yeah, I got a kid in my Drawing class who hates the Beatles too.
nalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2007, 05:54 PM   #4
Revolution1999
Dr. Robert

But Maybe People Hate Ringo Because....He Wasnt As Talented As The Other Beatles? I Don't Know. I Think He's Talented.

Maybe People Hate Ringo Because......He Has A Big Nose?

He Has A Big Heart To Me.I Dont Care What His Nose Looks Like.

Last edited by bearkat77 : Apr 16, 2007 at 08:11 PM.
Revolution1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2007, 07:15 PM   #5
Miss Emily
Fool On The Hill

I think the reason some people dislike Ringo is because, as a drummer, he was not John Bonham or Keith Moon. He's not the flashy, in your face drummer. He just always kind of sat behind and kept the beat.

Of course, what people forget about Ringo is that it's not HOW he played, but WHAT he played. He litterally put the BEAT in the Beatles and if the Beatles didn't have that infectious beat, I'd be scared to think where music would be.

Bottom line: Ringo rocks. :)
Miss Emily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 05:30 AM   #6
Exis_Beat
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Emily View Post
I think the reason some people dislike Ringo is because, as a drummer, he was not John Bonham or Keith Moon. He's not the flashy, in your face drummer. He just always kind of sat behind and kept the beat.

Of course, what people forget about Ringo is that it's not HOW he played, but WHAT he played. He litterally put the BEAT in the Beatles and if the Beatles didn't have that infectious beat, I'd be scared to think where music would be.

Couldn't agree more. Sure, ole Ringo wasn't Moon or Bonzo, but I guess those guys, Ginger, Fleetwood et al are kind of a different breed of drummer )drummers, of course, are a strange species--what's the line? "If men are from Mars and women are from Venus, then drummers are from Pluto." Ringo is distinctly Ringo--there's nobody out there like him, especially in percussive prowess. Not just his personality, and we know he's got personality in spades, but his attitude, his drumming style is unique and immediately identifiable. I think that's what makes a great drummer, understated but prominent, vital but with no great hulking ego... Kind of how Charlie is in the Stones, take him out and it would be battle of the ego with Mick and Keith (well, moreso). Sure, Ringo was there doing his job, and doing it fantastically, but in his own distinct way... Who else could do the drum-fills in "A Day in the Life" or the perfect chargin rhythms of "Day Tripper"? for instance? As Ginger Baker said, "A band's only as good as it's drummer," and if that's true, then need I say more. But I will... a great rock drummer propels the rest of the band and hold the whole thing together, rather than veering off in a one hour solo. He made his drum-solo statement once in "The End" and that was enough. Never needed to prove anything else. Ringo does indeed rock, because he IS the rock of the band. As for "haters" of Ringo, well, they're definitely entitled to their opinion, but I'm not sure what they're looking for in a drummer, some kind of megalomanical superstar with arms ablur? Bloated '70s stadium rock proved how horribly wrong and grotesque something like that coudl be and how it could, well, get out of hand... Ringo never overstayed his welcome, and so, making him all that much more lovable.
Old May 04, 2007, 09:57 PM   #7
Duo Jet
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Emily View Post

Nicely put. He was no where near as good of a drummer as John Bonham or Keith Moon. He's also not even close to being as good of a drummer than his son. With that being said his style fit the bad perfectly.

Ringo is cool in my book.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 09:11 PM   #8
pablofanque
Fool On The Hill

Ringo does get crapped on because of his drumming. He wasn't flashy or anything. Many people forget, however, Ringo was the first drummer that had a name. Up until then, the drummer literally was the guy in the back. But Ringo let the world know that drummers are an integeral part of the formula.

Plus to debunk the skill argument. In all of the Beatles recording sessions. Ringo only screwed up a take twice. In all the session time that was logged from 1962-1969. Only on two occasions did the tape stop because Ringo messed up. That's quite a testiment. Ringo was a metronome. He kept perfect time.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 06:08 PM   #9
AmericanBeatle
Day Tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablofanque View Post
Ringo does get crapped on because of his drumming. He wasn't flashy or anything. Many people forget, however, Ringo was the first drummer that had a name. Up until then, the drummer literally was the guy in the back. But Ringo let the world know that drummers are an integeral part of the formula.

Plus to debunk the skill argument. In all of the Beatles recording sessions. Ringo only screwed up a take twice. In all the session time that was logged from 1962-1969. Only on two occasions did the tape stop because Ringo messed up. That's quite a testiment. Ringo was a metronome. He kept perfect time.
No kidding!
I had no idea. That's pretty cool! Maybe that's why he is hated? He hardly ever messes up (pounding the skins, that is), and us mere mortals can't compete.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 03:21 PM   #10
beatles_gal
Rocky Raccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablofanque View Post
wow, i didn't know that--that's awesome! i can't imagine playing for SEVEN YEARS and only messing up twice. surely that's some kind of record?

and to answer the original question, i agree with what several people have already mentioned--ringo isn't keith moon. that doesn't mean he was bad, he just wasn't insanely powerful and flashy.
I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?
--John Lennon
beatles_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2007, 12:23 AM   #11
TheRubiksCube
Day Tripper

Send a message via AIM to TheRubiksCube Send a message via MSN to TheRubiksCube Send a message via Yahoo to TheRubiksCube

I don't know, really... My mom's always told me that Ringo was pretty popular 'back in the day,' and now he's not. I think people have just grown more critical of him over the years. A lot of people think he's a crappy drummer and that he brings the band down and that he has a bad voice and blah, blah, blah.

Also, I suppose he's just gotten kind of lost in the shuffle lately. He's never been a flashy guy - in fact, he's always been pretty carefree and laidback, so he's rarely in the news/tabloids. As people have said, he wasn't/isn't a flashy drummer, so I guess people kind of forget about him sometimes as well.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but maybe that's just because I'm a HUGEEEE Ringo fan... I just can't wrap my mind around it. :P
I am the eggman, they are the eggmen
I am the walrus, goo goo g'joob
TheRubiksCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2007, 03:38 AM   #12
NewScientist
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRubiksCube View Post
I don't know, really... My mom's always told me that Ringo was pretty popular 'back in the day,' and now he's not. I think people have just grown more critical of him over the years. A lot of people think he's a crappy drummer and that he brings the band down and that he has a bad voice and blah, blah, blah.

Also, I suppose he's just gotten kind of lost in the shuffle lately. He's never been a flashy guy - in fact, he's always been pretty carefree and laidback, so he's rarely in the news/tabloids. As people have said, he wasn't/isn't a flashy drummer, so I guess people kind of forget about him sometimes as well.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but maybe that's just because I'm a HUGEEEE Ringo fan... I just can't wrap my mind around it. :P
I actually think people are more appreciative of him as a drummer now. In the 60s, 70s and 80s it was kind of accepted that he wasn't that good. Where as nowadays he is often quoted as one of the greats by people like Dave Grohl and Steve White.
NewScientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2007, 01:12 AM   #13
El Gos Coix
Wild Honey Pie

I've never found anybody who hates Ringo. For most people, he's not their favourite Beatle, although they find him likeable.

It's true many people think he's not a great drummer, but I wouldn't call that "hating" him, but "underestimating" him. And I've found that those people usually "hate" (or "underestimate") Paul and George, too (John, for some reason, seems to be above all that, although in my opinion, technically speaking, he was worse than George or Paul). Simply because, as you've already said, none of them was flashy. The maxim 'less is more' isn't very popular nowadays, but I think that's one of the things the Beatles did best. Why add more notes when the ones there are are already perfect for it? They put their playing at the service of their songs, not the other way round. What's so bad in that?
Old Apr 16, 2007, 03:09 AM   #14
sadie
Sun King

I my experience its been the Paul that has always been disliked (over here anyway) and Ringo thought of very fondly, ok so people knocked his drumming alittle but everybody loves his personality.

Hate is a strong word and not met anybody in my 32 years of being a fan who hated any of them.
sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2007, 02:13 AM   #15
Zimmerman The Gnome
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadie View Post
I my experience its been the Paul that has always been disliked (over here anyway) and Ringo thought of very fondly, ok so people knocked his drumming alittle but everybody loves his personality.

Hate is a strong word and not met anybody in my 32 years of being a fan who hated any of them.

Paul is pretty disliked in the UK although the media love him. He is thought of as arrogant and pretentious which in my opinion is probably fair.
Ringo is liked by most I would say!
Old Apr 21, 2007, 02:41 AM   #16
BadLittleKid
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmerman The Gnome View Post
Paul is pretty disliked in the UK although the media love him. He is thought of as arrogant and pretentious which in my opinion is probably fair.
Ringo is liked by most I would say!
I think people are arrogant at Paul!

- Biggles
BadLittleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2007, 03:15 AM   #17
Zimmerman The Gnome
Sun King

In what way?
Old Apr 16, 2007, 03:54 AM   #18
BadLittleKid
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalem View Post
Hello, I'm nalem and I'm writing a paper on Ringo Starr.

Over the past few years I've been a Beatles fan. But I know of many people who have a large distaste for Ringo Starr. The hate spans from young adults in their late teens and early twenties to fans from when the band was still together. I thought perhaps the older fans hate Ringo Starr because they preferred Pete Best. But what do the younger fans know of him? Why should they hate Ringo? I just can't find the answer.

If anybody knows with perhaps some proof (any names of sources, like books, essays) that would be swell. Thank you.
The "We Want Pete" fans hardly exsist in any great number anymore. The teens who hate Ringo mostly criticize his use of only one bass drum but that is not even a proper argument. The fact that Ringo didn't write as good songs as the other three is ridiculous because many bands don't have even that many good songs as Ringo alone has. About 99% of the criticism Ringo gets is totally off-balance, anachronical and made up by teens whose information is derived from some radio DJ's in-between chatter.

- Biggles
BadLittleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2007, 05:26 AM   #19
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy

I would agree that Paul certiainly has the reputation of being hated more than Ringo....mind you I'm not writing a paper on it so you'd have a better idea nalem!!

An attitude that I have come across before is that Ringo was just very, very lucky and that it could have been anyone and it was just a matter of right place, right time. Don't worry Ringo fans, as if I let anyone get away with that!! I think the reason for any hatred against Ringo would be that people are jealous....that is usually why somone hates someone else when there is absolutely no reason to.
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2007, 08:06 AM   #20
VersusBatman
Sun King

I've never known anyone who hated Ringo. Indifference? Yes.

It looks like they just put a whole lotta movies in a blender and turned it on really fast. - Myster Science Theater 3000

"They're dead grotty!" - George Harrison

Comic Book Guy: But, Aquaman, you cannot marry a woman without gills. You're from two different worlds... Oh, I've wasted my life. - The Simpsons
VersusBatman is offline   Reply With Quote