BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:56 PM   #441
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Default Well now...

What can I really say to this? Perhaps "one of" would fit more for me, but I'm not going to throw this confession out of my bed for eating crackers.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:58 PM   #442
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Default Oh please

Too bad for you.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:00 PM   #443
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Default Breaking my heart

I don't want to think about it. Yoko, alive and beautiful at 79, will always be John's 'other half of the sky' to me. I can't even begin to think of her gone. I can't.

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Mar 30, 2012 at 09:00 PM.
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:01 PM   #444
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Default Indeed

I can't say that I have never felt exactly this way about these two beautiful men. Ugh.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 09:14 PM   #445
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Default Hmmm...

I'm guessing I am one of the few people who really never changed my opinion of John based on this song. Well, actually, I thought he was kind of awesome for creating such a brutal, hard-edged tune and including George in one of his BEST GUITAR PIECES ever. I love this song. Then again, I appreciate music that showcases the peaks and valleys of human beings.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 03:35 AM   #446
misfittoy
Dr. Robert

It happens to friends and their swipes at each other can be followed in song ending with nicer sentiments until they both agreed to stop.

I loved How Do you Sleep for the basic fact it gave me the best ammunition to use against PIDers, a creepy group of crazy people who are stalking me horribly.
I always maintained that the so-called clues if they're even clues could have a more-mundane explanation about something happening to Paul. All those things pointing at his head could man he went crazy and ended up in a mental hospital for a few months or something more mundane then being decapitated. (I'm not saying that's what happened, but it's how I interpret the head clues).
John's line "Those freaks were right when they said you was dead," Makes PIDers salivate but they ignore the line after it that sort of backs my interpretation up about "The only problem you have is in your head."

I won't even go into GLass Onion...the walrus and me...as close as can be...
misfittoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 09:34 AM   #447
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfittoy View Post
It happens to friends and their swipes at each other can be followed in song ending with nicer sentiments until they both agreed to stop.
Paul should have expected no less from John... although the lyrics on HDYS do make me cringe a bit, I completely understand where his reaction came from. Paul's little digs were presented in a way where Paul could claim plausible deniability... a specialty of his. And that is friggin' annoying. Yeah, John's reaction was pretty heavy-handed, but hell... what else do you expect from John Lennon??!

Quote:
I loved How Do you Sleep for the basic fact it gave me the best ammunition to use against PIDers, a creepy group of crazy people who are stalking me horribly.
Now that is a unique reason for loving the song!

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:05 AM   #448
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post

What can I really say to this? Perhaps "one of" would fit more for me, but I'm not going to throw this confession out of my bed for eating crackers.
Well, I can live with the statement "the most beautiful man"

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 01, 2012, 10:27 AM   #449
wildewoman
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia 66 View Post
Paul should have expected no less from John... although the lyrics on HDYS do make me cringe a bit, I completely understand where his reaction came from. Paul's little digs were presented in a way where Paul could claim plausible deniability... a specialty of his. And that is friggin' annoying. Yeah, John's reaction was pretty heavy-handed, but hell... what else do you expect from John Lennon.
Paul McCartney is the King of passive aggression. Even as a kid, unravelling threads from the draperies when his parents ticked him off.

That had to be a quality that absolutely annoyed the HELL out of John Lennon, who just was who he was and said what he said and paid the price for it. If nothing else, John's method with dealing with angry, hurt, nasty feelings has the virtue of being honest, which to me is a more admirable quality than feeling secretly as nasty and angry inside and resorting to passive aggressive, sneaky ways to express those feelings and coming out smelling like a rose to society as a whole. UGH.

On the other hand, Paul must have often gotten just as annoyed with John who just said whatever was in his mind and acted out, possibly damaging the group's reputation, which Paul most likely felt the responsibility and pressure to rectify: "Gawdammit, he makes another freaking mess that I get stuck cleaning up," or thoughts of that nature. I'm sure he has probably thought, many times, that in some ways John was incredibly naive and trusting and lacking in strategy, and yet got the credit for being the "Smart" one. That probably stuck in Paul's craw quite a bit.

Last edited by wildewoman : Apr 01, 2012 at 10:34 AM.
wildewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 01, 2012, 01:13 PM   #450
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildewoman View Post

On the other hand, Paul must have often gotten just as annoyed with John who just said whatever was in his mind and acted out, possibly damaging the group's reputation, which Paul most likely felt the responsibility and pressure to rectify: "Gawdammit, he makes another freaking mess that I get stuck cleaning up," or thoughts of that nature. I'm sure he has probably thought, many times, that in some ways John was incredibly naive and trusting and lacking in strategy, and yet got the credit for being the "Smart" one. That probably stuck in Paul's craw quite a bit.
I see it that way too. John was more open and honest in public, but certainly less diplomatic than Paul, who was more reserved and didn't behaved in a provocative way like John. Thus, I find it amazing that both get along so many years together and their different personalities was also the essence of the charisma of the Beatles. So I'm glad that they were so different; it was a good balance.

Snoopy
Old Apr 01, 2012, 01:53 PM   #451
wildewoman
Taxman

Oh yeah. Neither of them really would have made it alone. They needed each other, especially at the beginning.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 02:35 PM   #452
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Exclamation Try to remember the joy

Otherwise, you'll just get caught up in the horror and anger of what did happen to John. George's, to me, was truly sad but John's death was a pure tragedy.
Old May 01, 2012, 07:45 AM   #453
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post

Otherwise, you'll just get caught up in the horror and anger of what did happen to John. George's, to me, was truly sad but John's death was a pure tragedy.
Absolutely, I see it that way too

Snoopy
Old May 01, 2012, 08:21 AM   #454
J.Winston.L
Nowhere Man

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread, I really appreciated it and enjoyed reading it all.
I have been listening to a lot of John's songs from the albums before the Rubber Soul/Revolver era here lately.
I don't think they get enough credit and I hear in them that The Beatles were John's band and he had the songs to prove it.
He just had to be the greatest songwriter ever.
I miss him.
Old May 01, 2012, 10:38 AM   #455
wildewoman
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Winston.L View Post
Thanks to all who contributed to this thread, I really appreciated it and enjoyed reading it all.
I have been listening to a lot of John's songs from the albums before the Rubber Soul/Revolver era here lately.
I don't think they get enough credit and I hear in them that The Beatles were John's band and he had the songs to prove it.
I miss him.
We all do. So glad you're here!
Old May 01, 2012, 11:40 AM   #456
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Winston.L View Post
I miss him.
I think I love you for this comment.

OMG, why don't you post more often? Please? I agree with this sooooo much.
Old May 02, 2012, 05:24 PM   #457
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Thumbs down Oh I see what you did there

Thought you'd be clever and shake some controversy.

BORING.

John and Yoko were perfect for each other. End of.
Old May 02, 2012, 05:27 PM   #458
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Thumbs up This is true for me as well!

It's inexplainable but I never get tired of "Imagine." John's version. There is something pure and ethereal about it, something so normal for me, like air or water. I could hear it 40 times in a row and each time it's just as powerful.
Old May 02, 2012, 05:30 PM   #459
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Thumbs down GTFO!

What is this BS? Cynthia Lennon is far from "dismissed" from any Beatles story. Good night! The woman's had two well-publicized books, given LOADS of interviews, referred to in-depth in nearly every Lennon biography- and just for being his freaking wife! Come on now. Come on.

IMO, we need some more Brian Epstein cred and maybe let up on the Cynthia stanning just a tad. I mean, it won't hurt her.
Old May 02, 2012, 05:33 PM   #460
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Wink Honey, don't put your heroes on golden pedestals...

John Lennon was far from the only icon to be imperfect. And if you consider all the wrongs he fought to right, you should be smiling that you love such an electrifying man that had that much conviction.