BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Jul 31, 2011, 08:34 AM   #1
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Default Julian Lennon's music!!!

Since I have made a Sean music thread I thought it only fair Jules should have one as well. After all, he was the one who started in the business long before Sean, and the first Beatles offspring to have major success for his own undeniable talents.

Given Peregrine posted in This Thread about the premiere of his new single this upcoming Monday, it's a timely thing. I can't speak for anyone else, but I for one am excited. I've always loved Julian and he has a lot of really beautiful music. I thought perhaps those who care can discuss your fave songs or albums or anything else related to his music.

Oh! And Julian posted a new picture of himself on his Facebook page, so here it is folks:

Fave songs anyone?

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Jul 31, 2011 at 08:37 AM.
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2011, 08:40 AM   #2
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Check this out!

So pretty. John sort of handed Julian, in a very pretty little package, his voice in a sense. I mean, of COURSE it isn't identical (John's voice is other-worldly to me), but please no one tell me this man doesn't sound like his dad eerily.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 08:42 AM   #3
Peregrine9
Sgt. Pepper

Default Julian Lennon's music

That was a good idea Apple Scruff.That you started a thread for Julian's music to.That a nice looking photograph of Julian.I am also excited and looking forward to getting a copy of his new music CD when it comes out.I have also been a fan of Jules music since his very first album was released many years ago.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 08:44 AM   #4
Apple Scruff
Sun King

This beautiful song! (And yes the original has a SFF-like intro, we all know this).

Oh Julian you and your beautiful voice.

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Jul 31, 2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 09:11 AM   #5
Apple Scruff
Sun King

One of my fave lyrics by Julian, from this song found on my favorite album of his:

Quote:
Walls

You say hello,
Nowhere to go,
Against the wall,
You start to fall.

Under the heavens floating gently,
A vision I long to see will be,
Finding the road to resolution,
Watching the day break over me.
And the walls keep tumbling down,
And the walls keep tumbling down.

I touch you heart,
I feel your pain,
You’re not alone,
You’re not to blame,
There’s no disgrace,
Beyond the shame,
You’re hurt inside,
I feel the same,

Under the heavens floating gently,
A vision I long to see will be,
Finding the road to resolution,
Watching the day break over me.

You look inside your soul and then,
You criticize your life again,
You face the truth without a doubt,
You feel you have to scream and shout,
To let the demons out,
To save you from the depths of darkness,
Free your soul, return to calmness...today.

You say hello,
Nowhere to go,
Against the wall,
You start to fall.

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Jul 31, 2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 09:16 AM   #6
Apple Scruff
Sun King

I have always loved this one. Man...I actually had this album in my home when it came out, ok? I'm old-school Julian, dang!

Old Jul 31, 2011, 07:05 PM   #7
4iiiis
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
Since I have made a Sean music thread I thought it only fair Jules should have one as well. After all, he was the one who started in the business long before Sean, and the first Beatles offspring to have major success for his own undeniable talents.

Given Peregrine posted in This Thread about the premiere of his new single this upcoming Monday, it's a timely thing. I can't speak for anyone else, but I for one am excited. I've always loved Julian and he has a lot of really beautiful music. I thought perhaps those who care can discuss your fave songs or albums or anything else related to his music.

Oh! And Julian posted a new picture of himself on his Facebook page, so here it is folks:

Fave songs anyone?
Well, I'm not quite as enamored about Julian as I am Sean...BUT, I admit I like this song, and remember when it was getting radio play. It really doesn't seem that long ago! But, as Pink Floyd says: "and then one day you find, ten years have got behind you..." 1984?? Holy Smokes! That's more like...err....20...ummm...25...well, let's not try and figure out the years, whatya say? ;-)

4iiiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2011, 08:01 PM   #8
Apple Scruff
Sun King

I remember that song as a child. My dad had the Valotte album, of course, because my dad adored John. And as a rule, it was important to have this album because it was John's first born coming out as an artist, and given the great and inescapable loss of John I believe a lot of people took comfort in Julian's voice and obvious talent.

My fave song on that record is still "Valotte."
Old Jul 31, 2011, 08:17 PM   #9
4iiiis
Mr. Moonlight

Default Sorry...I couldn't resist!

Old Jul 31, 2011, 08:27 PM   #10
beatlelover45223

I can say, in 1984, I turned the radio on in my car, on my way to work, right at the beginning of "Too Late For Goodbyes", I wasn't following the Beatles as avidly, didn't know Julian had an album coming out, I thought I was hearing something John had done in the studios before his death, then the DJ did come on at the end of the song and say the above song was done by Julian on his album "Valotte". It was quite surreal when that radio came on hearing John's voice over the airwaves again, so I thought....

Julian seems to be quite a nice person.... Keep at it, your Dad is proud!

~ Nancy ~

Last edited by beatlelover45223 : Jul 31, 2011 at 08:27 PM. Reason: spelling
beatlelover45223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2011, 08:37 PM   #11
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Very sweet comment beatlelover! I think a lot of people had a similar reaction to yours upon hearing Julian for the first time.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 08:39 PM   #12
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4iiiis View Post

Oh 4iiis, you devilishly brilliant, clever individual. I love it. OMG. Does Julian have some kind of infatuation with social networking or what?

I think it's simply just BRILL what you did. Fab pic by the way.

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Jul 31, 2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 08:41 PM   #13
Apple Scruff
Sun King

"Across the WWW?"

"I Get By With A Little Help From My Facebook Friends"

"2 Friend Her Is 2 <3 Her"

How awesome is this? So I wasn't the only one that thought "Lookin' 4 Luv" sounded just a *tad* Bieberesque?

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Jul 31, 2011 at 10:31 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 04:48 PM   #14
4iiiis
Mr. Moonlight

Quote:
"Across the WWW?"

"I Get By With A Little Help From My Facebook Friends"

"2 Friend Her Is 2 <3 Her"

How awesome is this? So I wasn't the only one that thought "Lookin' 4 Luv" sounded just a *tad* Bieberesque?
Ok now...I think AppleScruff is the only one that understood that the "Ad" for Julian's new album was a parody! SO just to clarify for everyone who was fooled by my brilliant fake ad, NONE of those songs (except the actual "Lookin' 4 Luv") will be on the new album! Though it would be hilarious if he actually DOES end up having songs like "I Get By With A Little Help From My Facebook Friends" or "Why Do You Tweet Me That Way"
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:25 PM   #15
Legs
Sun King

Saltwater was the song that got me into Julian's music. From the mellotron flute intro and mellotron flutes and strings throughout the song, together with some more Beatles and other influences like George's slide (?)and ofcourse Julian's voice, the song became a favourite of mine and it did make me seek out Julian's music.

(?) There is still some debate wheter it was really George playing the slide on the song.

Julian played a nice acoustic version on the dutch program "Two Metre sessions".

Attachment 2947

So "Help Yourself" was the first Julian album I bought.
Just listened to it again and I don't know why I haven't listened to it for such a long time. "Maybe I Was Wrong" was another song I always liked, so beautiful. The opening reminds me a bit of "Running Water" by The Moody Blues. I have the song on repeat now. It's really a good album, tho there are a few songs I don't care for. " New Physics Rant" Julian trying to do a Bowie, producer Bob Ezrin hiring a girl choir like he was producing Pink Floyd's "The Wall " and "Keep The People Working" with its rap. Just give me Julian's voice. I think the album offers enough variation tho, from the beautiful ballads which I think suits Julian's best, till more rocking songs like " Get A Life". The title track is another one of my favourites.

Apart from the Beatles influences, some "Sgt. Pepper's" horns for example on "Maybe I Was Wrong", I hear some Pink Floyd influences as well, thanks to producer Bob Ezrin. Female backing vocals and some of the sound effects.

I can't believe that's already been thirteen years since the release of "Photograph Smile". No it doesn't feel like I just bought it yesterday, but I remember it as being very recent. This might be my favourite album. Some songs I can't just listen to once. "Day after day" and "Faithful" are songs I always put on repeat a few times.

After "Help Yourself" I bought the first few albums as well, but only kept "Valotte", as I didn't like "Mr. Jordan" and "The Secret Value of Daydreaming" at the time. But I just listened to "Valotte" and I think it's much better then I remember it was. I only really liked the title track and "Too Late For Goodbyes", but "Well I don't Know" is a fantastic song. So I am rediscovering lots of Julian's songs now and I might pick the two other albums up again. Yes "Well I don't Know" is another Julian classic imo.

Last edited by Legs : Dec 31, 2011 at 01:03 AM.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2011, 12:38 PM   #16
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
I have always loved this one. Man...I actually had this album in my home when it came out, ok? I'm old-school Julian, dang!

That's another one I always liked when I got the album.
Good I got the album out again to rediscover gems like this.
Not that fond of 'Because" tho, even though it's a piano ballad and I am normaly fond of these. Just something lacking imo.
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2011, 06:09 AM   #17
hibgal
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlelover45223 View Post
I can say, in 1984, I turned the radio on in my car, on my way to work, right at the beginning of "Too Late For Goodbyes", I wasn't following the Beatles as avidly, didn't know Julian had an album coming out, I thought I was hearing something John had done in the studios before his death, then the DJ did come on at the end of the song and say the above song was done by Julian on his album "Valotte".
I remember also reacting to how much Julian sounded like John then except there was something not quite right somehow. Also it didn't seem exactly like a song John would've written. It wasn't bad stuff but just not my thing, at least not then. After that I sort of lost touch with Julian's music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs View Post
Saltwater was the song that got me into Julian's music.
<snip> Julian played a nice acoustic version on the dutch program "Two Metre sessions".

Attachment 2947
That's a good song, particularly the lyrics. Nice acoustic version. Thanks for posting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs View Post
I can't believe that's already been thirteen years since the release of "Photograph Smile". No it doesn't feel like I just bought it yesterday, but I remember it as being very recent. This might be my favourite album.
So would you recommend it as a starting point to rediscover Julian or? What do others think? What album would You recommend?

Sometimes I dream in colors
It always happens when
I find myself with others
Who don't pretend
hibgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2011, 06:52 AM   #18
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibgal View Post

So would you recommend it as a starting point to rediscover Julian or? What do others think? What album would You recommend?
Photograph Smile is, in my opinion, his best album. It's his most mature statement, his Magnum Opus to date. Obviously, Valotte is the most commercial/successful/accessible and has some great songs. In fact, all his albums have great songs (the amounts vary), but PS is special. It's very ballad-driven, which can turn some off. But to me these songs sound truly beautiful and very well written. The only song I don't like on it is that "I Don't Want To Know" song. I think it's weak and a not-so-great attempt at trying to mimic the Beatles sound (which Julian as a a right to pun if anyone does). But songs like "Walls, " "I Should Have Known, " "It's Good To Be Lonely," "Crucified," "And She Cries, " "Day After Day," "Kiss Beyond The Catcher," etc. are so beautiful.

And he can't get away from the 'John' in his voice, it's a beautiful thing imo. His voice is really great. I would say get the album hibgal and "the jury is up" until you've heard it. I love it, but I would really appreciate reading YOUR review.

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Aug 12, 2011 at 06:52 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 06:51 AM   #19
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Photograph Smile is, in my opinion, his best album. It's his most mature statement, his Magnum Opus to date. Obviously, Valotte is the most commercial/successful/accessible and has some great songs. And he can't get away from the 'John' in his voice, it's a beautiful thing imo. His voice is really great. I would say get the album hibgal and "the jury is up" until you've heard it. I love it, but I would really appreciate reading YOUR review.
Hi Scruffie

I fully agree with you, "Photograph Smile" is Julian's best album and I love "Valotte" Unfortunately, I didn't follow his career afterwards, so I can't judge his other albums. I guess, I just sticked to hard on John's post-mortem albums and thought about Julian like "oh well, nice to have, but...". Now I regret it, as it's difficult to find his albums .

Unlike his latest song, his voice sounded at the beginnnig much more like John and that's probably the main reason, why I love his early stuff; not very objective, I have to admit

But it's a pitty that Julian didn't have the musical-success he deserved. It would be nice if his new album would be in the charts now.

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2011, 08:53 AM   #20
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Snoopy,

Yes, I agree with you. I think Julian's voice sounds a little weaker on this single than it did on Photograph Smile. I believe it may be because he hasn't been in the studio for 13 years and was probably still getting into the groove. I love his voice! I hear the John in his slightly nasally intonation, but John's voice was other-worldly OK people? Um, that deserve a thread in and of itself.

I will say that I feel his new album is going to be great. This song is very pretty and well-written and it gives me high hopes for the rest. Can not wait!!!