BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Crackerbox Palace

Old Jun 09, 2005, 12:38 AM   #1
GeorgesBabe
Little Child

Send a message via ICQ to GeorgesBabe Send a message via AIM to GeorgesBabe Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgesBabe
Default Very brief George mention in Peggy Lipton Book

Peggy met the Beatles at a private party thrown for children in 1966. Of course she only had eyes for Paul, but she briefly mentioned each one of them. As the children lined up to meet the boys, Peggy stood behind the kids: "George was wiry and agile, adjusting his body to shake as many of the little hands as
he could." Awww
Old Jun 09, 2005, 01:35 AM   #2
AnyRoad69
Banned

Lipton's story is clichéd, and her writing's clunky to boot. But that's no matter, because the main reason readers will pick this book up is for its pages on the sexual encounters Lipton—who played the hip chick of TV's undercover Mod Squad in the late 1960s and early '70s—had with Paul McCartney and Elvis. Born in 1947 and raised on Long Island, Lipton was a model at 15 and had started acting classes by the time her family moved to California a few years later. Hanging out in Hollywood, Lipton soon became a mod version of the "it" girl. After ridding herself of her virginity, her first goal was to seduce McCartney. That accomplished, she slept with a series of alcoholic or abusive married men, meanwhile experimenting with a variety of drugs. Her psychedelic adventures with actor Terence Stamp were quintessential Haight-Ashbury; she even had a fling with Elvis: "He was a great kisser," she allows, "but that was about it." In 1974, she married musician Quincy Jones, who didn't want her to work. A full-time mom until their marriage fell apart, Lipton then struggled with depression and debilitating fatigue, finding strength from her guru, Gurumayi, from acting work and from her two beloved daughters. There's a lot of '60s and '70s color—joints smoked in the bathroom, an interracial marriage, a trip to an Indian ashram—but it all boils down to an old-fashioned kiss-and-tell. 16 b&w photos.
AnyRoad69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 09, 2005, 04:05 AM   #3
beatlebangs1964

Send a message via AIM to beatlebangs1964

Lipton said in a recent interview about this book that she didn't actually "go all the way" with Elvis, but she did enjoy her affair with Paul. Her background and Oprah's share a sad common thread - both were sexually abused as children by members of their families (Lipton by an uncle-in-law) and both acted out sexually. That is not uncommon after this type of trauma.

Still, the book sounds interesting. I wish I could have been among the lucky guests who got to meet the Beatles and shake George's hand!

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/c...rtc/signatures

http://www.reddit.com/r/troubledteen...aten_at_green/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7g0oiJ52Gw
beatlebangs1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 09, 2005, 10:54 AM   #4
GeorgesBabe
Little Child

Send a message via ICQ to GeorgesBabe Send a message via AIM to GeorgesBabe Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgesBabe

Oh I wish I could have shook George's hand too. Yes her book is very interesting. She had a rough life, I never even realized that until I bought and read her book.
Old Jun 09, 2005, 11:49 AM   #5
Georgie Girl
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgesBabe
Peggy met the Beatles at a private party thrown for children in 1966. Of course she only had eyes for Paul, but she briefly mentioned each one of them. As the children lined up to meet the boys, Peggy stood behind the kids: "George was wiry and agile, adjusting his body to shake as many of the little hands as
he could." Awww
That is so sweet! I never heard about this event before. I read of, and have old news footage of a garden party given by the Capitol Records execs as a fundraiser in 1964. I can't help but think that some of these things must have been a drag for the Beatles when they would probably prefer hanging out with the Byrds or something. Sometimes, they could be very nice.
Georgie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 09, 2005, 03:57 PM   #6
Hari's Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlebangs1964
Lipton said in a recent interview about this book that she didn't actually "go all the way" with Elvis, but she did enjoy her affair with Paul. Her background and Oprah's share a sad common thread - both were sexually abused as children by members of their families (Lipton by an uncle-in-law) and both acted out sexually. That is not uncommon after this type of trauma.

Still, the book sounds interesting. I wish I could have been among the lucky guests who got to meet the Beatles and shake George's hand!
I never knew that about Oprah, BB. That is terribly sad.

Thanks GeorgesBabe and AnyRoad, sounds like an interesting read. I'd love to know more about her experiences at the ashram, as well. Gurumayi is a disciple of Muktananda. She is really cool (Gurumayi)~ she loves kids a lot and writes children's books and everything.

LOL about Elvis... Cher talked about meeting Elvis and kind of eluded to more but said in her concert we'd all have to wait for her book to know. Elvis was a lucky man!!

Shaking George's hand would have been woooonderful. I'd be pleased to just hold his gaze, even for a moment!! Hands are so special, mmm, knowing the music which his made, and how he would shake hands would be so sweet I just know...
Old Jun 09, 2005, 04:54 PM   #7
beatlebangs1964

Good point about George's hands, Hari's Chick. Think of the life he nurtured in that garden with those hands as well as the art he created and the normal, natural touching that is done among people who have bonded, e.g. an arm around the shoulder, a friendly touch.

George's gaze...I can't help but think of a child I once knew who was not prone to making eye contact, but when it came to George Harrison, she'd sit raptly looking at him. Whenever she watched a Beatle movie, her eyes were on George. I think George had a way of really reaching into the deeper, more profound part of our psyches...George did a lot to encourage us all to think for ourselves.

If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind. -- George Harrison, 1966

Old Jun 09, 2005, 04:55 PM   #8
GeorgieGirl
Wild Honey Pie

Send a message via MSN to GeorgieGirl Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgieGirl

Beatlebangs1964, where is my review of Lipton's book? Now I can't buy a book until I read your reviews!!! I bought Pepperland. I haven't had time yet to read it.
Old Jun 09, 2005, 05:00 PM   #9
beatlebangs1964

GG,

Thanks! You make a fan blush with pride!

Say, let us know how you liked "Pepperland." It's an ideal novel for a Beatle fan.

Old Jun 09, 2005, 05:58 PM   #10
Hari's Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlebangs1964
Good point about George's hands, Hari's Chick. Think of the life he nurtured in that garden with those hands as well as the art he created and the normal, natural touching that is done among people who have bonded, e.g. an arm around the shoulder, a friendly touch.

George's gaze...I can't help but think of a child I once knew who was not prone to making eye contact, but when it came to George Harrison, she'd sit raptly looking at him. Whenever she watched a Beatle movie, her eyes were on George. I think George had a way of really reaching into the deeper, more profound part of our psyches...George did a lot to encourage us all to think for ourselves.
Oh, that is so beautiful, BB. Yes, yes... how gentle George was with his hands. He ws often a hand shaker where he'd encase the person's hands with both of his... so so sweet, such a love...

Hands tell us so much about a person. Recently I've been watching Cher's final tour video a lot and there is a scene where she comes down the stairs and a male dancer reaches for her hand helping her down the stairs for balance (which was more for effect becuase at other times she was fine going down alone...). But anyway, when she took the man's hand she laced her fingers through and I thought that was so cute, like a little kid in a way.

The story of the little girl and George's gaze makes me want to cry! Yes! He is so genuine, and children sense things like that. Awwww... hasn't George blessed us so much!
Old Jun 09, 2005, 06:27 PM   #11
beatlebangs1964

George had such a rare gift, H.C. I love George. I really do even though I never met him and did not know him personally. His music really touches my heart deeply.

See, George was blessed from the beginning...he was surrounded by love from the very start and I really believe that is what made his work so effective. He was able to impart that on many levels - subliminal; overt; obliquely. As for children who love George, I think it is because they see the "real" George that is often not readily visible to adult eyes -- the boy inside George; the boy who was a rebel in a gentle way. I think of a very young George rebelling by wearing crazy clothing; growing his hair and even naming his first band The Rebels. Very a propos. Unlike John, who was a rabble rouser, George's way was quieter, much more subtle. His rebellion never, as far as I know, ever hurt anyone.

The child who raptly watched George had Asperger's Syndrome. She was, as I said never comfortable about making eye contact, but boy, did she know about George! She could pick him out regardless of whether his back was turned or what clothes he wore or if he was clean shaven. She loved George and used to draw George on any available scrap of paper. No doubt she grew up to be quite a George fan. :)

I still think of George as being like his gardens - nurturing; nurtured; colorful; life flow and blooming with zest.