BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road

Old Jan 09, 2012, 05:19 PM   #101
4iiiis
Mr. Moonlight

I like The Ninth Walrus' diplomatic approach to this subject (Paul loves animals ;-)
God knows she's John fan through and through
As far as Beatles go…
#1 far and above the rest, there is JOHN
Popping up, down the road, is #2 GEORGE
After that, flip a coin my friend!
Speaking of flipping...Ringo gets demerits for flipping off his fans a few years ago…but Paul has certainly outdone all that lately by flipping off just about everyone! So, heads:Ringo tails:Paul…..and the winner is…HEADS!
And I like how ChrisG134 ranked:
Quote:
1. John
2. John
3.George
John again
John again
Ringo
John again
Then Paul
That's pretty much my sentiment exactly!
Long Live John Lennon
MEOW!
4iiiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2012, 05:24 PM   #102
ChrisG134
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4iiiis View Post
I like The Ninth Walrus' diplomatic approach to this subject (Paul loves animals ;-)
God knows she's John fan through and through
As far as Beatles go…
#1 far and above the rest, there is JOHN
Popping up, down the road, is #2 GEORGE
After that, flip a coin my friend!
Speaking of flipping...Ringo gets demerits for flipping off his fans a few years ago…but Paul has certainly outdone all that lately by flipping off just about everyone! So, heads:Ringo tails:Paul…..and the winner is…HEADS!
And I like how ChrisG134 ranked:

That's pretty much my sentiment exactly!
Long Live John Lennon
MEOW!
Thanks,you have great taste!
Old Jan 09, 2012, 11:16 PM   #103
Keri
Fool On The Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly View Post
No, to be specific you said "He just writes arid little diarist songs about Yoko and John and John and Yoko, oh and he does write one about Sean too."
I was objecting to Applescruff's comment about being "completely" wrong, objecting to the use of "arid" is understandable, although that is how it appears to me. I was showing that some of my post was not "completely" wrong and some was opinion.

Quote:
I am not Apple Scruff and you were not talking to me I have been offended by the way you brushed off his career because it doesn't suit your fancy.
My original post was not directed to Apple Scruff. Are we not supposed to be giving our opinions? Yes his solo career doesn't suit my fancy I have even gone to some degree to say why. I am also brushing off John's solo career not his career, if you read my earlier post you'll see that I regard John as my favourite Beatle through much of the Beatles career.

Quote:
Yes! Those are John songs. A pithy few. And two of them are the only that refer specifically to Yoko Ono. The listener doesn't have to assume the other love songs are about her; they are love songs.
Yes I assume they are about Yoko, John speaks of them as being about Yoko, they fit that context better than any other, but yes with an effort of will you could imagine that maybe some of them weren't about Yoko.

Quote:
So what you're saying is that, having love songs, he is less imaginative- even though his language and emotion is chalk full of imagery? I am confused.

Let me list some songs for you:

Instant Karma!
Crippled Inside
What You Got
Whatever Gets You Through The Night
Mind Games
Bring on da Lucie
Tight A$
Give Peace A Chance
Love
Not surprisingly some of those you have listed are some of my favourite Lennon solo tracks, i do like these:

Instant Karma!
Whatever Gets You Through The Night
Mind Games
Love

Quote:
What I disagree with is your theory that a person who uses the first person in their art or writing is NOT as imaginative. Are you kidding? Picasso painted things from his life- his wife, his trials, his pain.
I wouldn't call Picasso a diarist painter, yes there is inspiration from life, but his works are transformed and transfigured though his imagination. I see more similarity in Picasso transformations with Lennon's Pepper period than with his solo work.

Quote:
So basically your saying if someone doesn't make themsels Larry who is a sailor and has a wife who is a cook and make some sort of little story up they have less imagination than someone who can write about their life in a way that touches other people because of their lyrics STILL having a universal appeal? That is something I don't agree with. I prefer personal. I love when someone can take the layers off and expose themself through their art. Always have. To me, there is way more heart and emotions throughout it.
I regard as imaginative those who can throw real feeling into a variety of characters and scenarios. I regard Shakespeare as supremely imaginative, he created a wealth of characters from all walks of life all of whom live in our imaginations, although many inhabit preposterous scenes.

Quote:
Difeerent strokes for different folks, but what Apple Scruff was no doubt reacting to was you saying John ONLY wrote about Yoko and the very snotty way you said "oh and one song about Sean."
You left out John, I said John wrote about John too. I don't see that as particularly controversial John in interviews stresses that his songs are about him and Yoko.

In his song God he laid out his credo of all he didn't believe in and ended it with

"I just believe in me
Yoko and Me...and that's reality"
Keri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:05 AM   #104
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Red face You are right.... and wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keri View Post
Look you're welcome to disagree but give your reasons, what does this comment add to the discussion?

I am not completely wrong. Some things are opinions and some things are facts. I called John's work diarist, John himself spoke of Double Fantasy as being postcards, which is another way of saying the same thing. I said John writes about himself and Yoko. When John Lennon uses the first person in most of his solo work it is almost always as himself,he doesn't tend to take on a character. He has also written a lot of songs about Yoko as i said such as:

Oh Yoko
Oh My Love
(Just Like) Starting Over
I'm Losing You
Woman
Dear Yoko
(Forgive Me) My Little Flower Princess
Out of the Blue

For me this approach just kills imagination and art no matter who the artist. This is where we get to the opinion part and where there is no right or wrong. As you like John's solo work you must be happy with his artistic approach.
Hi Kerri,

Well, it's correct that you aren't completely wrong. John's last albums contains indeed many songs about Yoko (and Sean), but it was also the purpose of DF to give a reflection of his past five years as a husband. Further, John said in an interview that he didn't want to make a record for kids, but for adults who like him have grown up and are husband or having a family.

So what's wrong with that ? John often wrote about himself and his feelings (I'm a loser, Help etc.), not only during the Beatles-day, but even more during his solo-career and that's also a reason (if not the main reason) why many people love him, because they could relate to his songs. I mean, John isn't claim to be "the voice of a whole generation" for nothing, is he ?

Now, if you can't relate to John's songs for whatever reason, it's o.k. for you, so just leave it, but you can't make an overall judgement to call them "unimaginative". This only proves that you haven't get John's message at all, sorry...

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:13 AM   #105
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Yes Keri is indeed entitled to his/her opinion. And I am allowed to say whether I agree or not, right? For me, John's music has everything I could ever want my favorite music to have. Most of all, he had depth and feeling expressed in a tremendously beautiful way.

But we all have our favorites. I don't like that you want to brush off John's solo career, but like I said: you like what you like.

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Jan 10, 2012 at 12:13 AM.
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 01:38 AM   #106
Keri
Fool On The Hill

Cheers Snoopy and Apple Scruff, I appreciate your enthusiasm and I've got to say John does has an amazing voice.
Keri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:49 AM   #107
anthonyvmartinez
Fool On The Hill

My favorite is Paul Mcartney.

Last edited by Jerry : Oct 15, 2012 at 03:35 AM.
anthonyvmartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:59 AM   #108
Fleurette1967
Little Child

Since the question was asked...I'll say Paul McCartney overall but I'm not knocking anyone else. There are songs by John, George and even Ringo (Don't Pass Me By, LOL, that's a JAM) I can't live without either. Artistically, I just love Paul's melodies, frequently clever lyrics, energy and enthusiasm for continuing to create new material, experimentation, charisma, that undying committment to MACH SHAU!
Fleurette1967 is offline   Reply With Quote