BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Bootleg Network

Old Feb 01, 2004, 01:11 PM   #1
Legs
Sun King

Default Mythology reviews 2 (Box set 2)

The second set is more enjoyable, even tho it still has many interviews, particulary on cd 1. No doubt that these are fun listening to,
but after a few times I have enough of them, the early interviews often don't give much insight to the life of the Beatles, that will come in later interviews.

Disc 1 includes a deviating version of "A Hard Day's Night", it's the 8 track version that was released in the U.S. of which the end is longer some more "You know I feel alright".Takes 2 and 3 of the song are also included, already known but with better sound, that's the bargain on this set mainly.
I found the "If I fell" version for the BBC from 14 July 1964, really beautiful, and again the sound is very clear.
The Blackpool Night out show from July 19th, was thougth to be lost but is included here for the first time.
"What You're Doing" take 11 is also included on this set for the first time. A real new outtake which is very good. Also on Vigotone's "Turn Me On Dead Man".

Disc 2 is more constructed, it starts out with takes of "That Means A Lot". Take 1 was included on the Anthology and Vigotone choise this set of the Barret tapes for their "Turn Me On Dead Man" cd, which I have so it isn't new to me, but "Strawberry" was first with this release.
"Yes It Is" is a stereo remix from 1965, and does sound better,amazingly, then the "Help!" cd, if that is what you find important, the song is the same ofcourse.

Then we have the New Musical Express Concert from 11 April 1965. A concert in very good sound quality, which can't be said of the concerts on the first box set. A concert I can actually listen to more then one time.
Help take 4 is more complete and has a better sound then any previous releases, great instrumental version.And it's just fantastic to hear Peter Sellers hand over a Grammy for 'Best performance by a vocal group 1964'. After Peter handed over the 'grandma' award, the start to sing "It's A Long Way To Tipperay". Very humorous, but what else can you expect.
Disc 2 concludes with the Pop profiles for John and George. Good cd and worth having.

Disc 3 begins with The Eamon Andrews Show from 11 April 1965. Not complete but a nice thing to have in your colection.Tho again you will probably listen to it once, then once again sometime later, but not all the time.
Next is the complete Blackpool Night Out concert from August 1st, 1965. "I'm Down" and "Act Naturally" are missing from the Anthology, but the sound quality on Anthology is better.

The next songs has been released before on countles other bootlegs, once again the takes of "Run For Your Life", tho it has more talking at the begining, "Norwegian Wood" "I'm Looking Through You" and "12-Bar original", tho "12-Bar" is supose to be the most complete version. It's also on "Turn Me On Dead Man".
The second version of "I'm Looking Through You" is take 4, which is close to the album version but it has 2 false starts. It was released this way in the U.S. and I actually like this version more then the take 1, which I now am officially tired off.

The Word take 3 is also a version released in the U.S.. With John's voice double tracked, but who keeps track of such a thing.Also already known on Soul Sessions for example.
it ends with 7 minutes of the Beatles at the Saturday Club. I only had a small but different part of this.Not so good as the second cd of box 2.

Disc 4 is even worse and I can be very brief about it.
Another unigue concert. Essen, 25 June. But you only hear the public, with the Beatles somewhere in the distance if you listen very closely. A disapoitment had I not known beforehand that the concert would have been this bad, but now I can hear it for myself.
Then we have "She Said, She Said" a set of demo's already known through the Lost Lennon Tapes, sadly these aren't any longer or different then what we had before.Another Award, the pop profiles for Paul and Ringo, another portion of the Saturday Club, but then a different show.
Two mixes of the same take of "She Loves You", RS1 and RS2, which sounds great but otherwise is more of the same, and we're at the end of this disapointing cd.

Review of box set 1

Review of box set 3

[size="1"][ Feb 08, 2004, 07:39 AM: Message Edited By: Legs ][/size]
Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2004, 04:53 PM   #2
friar-park
Day Tripper

Default Re: Mythology reviews 2 (Box set 2)

Once again, I have to say that when I recommend the Mythology set, I always recommend Volume 3. Particularly for the interviews (The Frost Show with John and George specifically) and for the original end of Abbey Road with Her Majesty in its original spot in the middle of the medley.

But Legs will say more (I hope he liked it!!).
friar-park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2004, 03:18 PM   #3
onosideboards
Taxman

Ugh, why did they bother with that Essen show anyway?

I noticed you brought up Turn Me On Dead Man...I think I'm confused. I do have a copy, and I was under the impression that it was new dubs that Barrett did while he was ill. So how could they be included in the Mythology as being from the 60s? Or was it that we first heard these takes and overdubs from Barrett's tape dubs? Sorry, I hope that made sense.
onosideboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2004, 09:05 AM   #4
Legs
Sun King

It seemed that I messed up a bit the first time.
Here is the edited clarification.It's not all Barret on Mythology, also not the complete Barret.

John Barret didn't remix all the tracks, he went through EMI's archive to sort all the different takes out finding some unigue things. He gave some songs a remix. "From Me To You", "Thank You Girl" among others were given a stereo remix in 1982 by John Barret, while he just numbered other songs. "This Boy" is an stereo remix from 1966, and "She Loves You" is a remix from 8 November 1966.

Mythology has the remixes from the 60's, which Barret discovered and put in place. Vigotone has included some of the Barret mixes from 1982, among some of the takes that are also on Mythology, see my reviews.

Barret's work was used for the Abbey Road show in 1983, where EMI opened up the studios, and people could listen to these recordings. Some recordings found there way onto the rejected "Session" album, then again remixed in the 90's they ended up on the "Anthology" set.

[size="1"][ Feb 04, 2004, 10:48 AM: Message Edited By: Legs ][/size]
Old Feb 04, 2004, 01:26 PM   #5
Legs
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted By onosideboards:
Right, I know about Sessions and the Abbey Road Show and Barrett's role in the latter...but are the Barrett tapes the first time these studio outtakes were relased?

Are the Barrett collections mostly off-line recordings? Otherwise why call them Barrett tapes if he didn't do anything but simply play them?
<font size="2" face="Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif">Answer to question one, yes and no.
I'll be back after I get myself some sleep, I kind of lost myself now.
We got some of these takes before, what's "new" is that we get the original Barrett mixes for the first time. The were remixed for sessions and Anthology.
Old Feb 04, 2004, 01:35 PM   #6
Legs
Sun King

Oh yeah why call them John Barret tapes.Simple, since the cd-s are sourced sourced from tapes compiled by John Barrett.
Old Feb 04, 2004, 11:45 PM   #7
onosideboards
Taxman

Right, I know about Sessions and the Abbey Road Show and Barrett's role in the latter...but are the Barrett tapes the first time these studio outtakes were relased?

Are the Barrett collections mostly off-line recordings? Otherwise why call them Barrett tapes if he didn't do anything but simply play them?
Old Feb 05, 2004, 07:27 AM   #8
onosideboards
Taxman

Ok, I think I'm getting it now. But are they off-line recordings? I could probably tell myself by putting the CDs in my stereo, but I never think of it when I'm at home. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old Feb 05, 2004, 08:14 AM   #9
Legs
Sun King

No offline recordings, these are original alternate takes of songs that Barret discovered, and put in place by numbering them.