BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:31 AM   #21
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellevart View Post
LOL, I think it's hilarious that people who've never been there think it's such a dark, dank, depressing place. I've been there 4 or 5 times and I've had GORGEOUS weather and the people there are wonderful and not all dark and depressing. Of course, this is my experience in the 1980's through 2008, not in the 50's...
Yeah, it's true that many think that Liverpool is a grey, poor and depressing city, which isn't true as far as I heard from people who were there. This "cliché" is probably due to the fact that you refer Liverpool to a "typical" harbour and industry-city of North England.

Though I also was surprised that it was never raining in the movie; not sure how realistic this is...

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:50 PM   #22
Fly
Dr. Robert

Thumbs up Great movie

I loved it! I thought it was well-acted, the cinematography was gorgeous, and I truly loved how it depicted John's life. I love my hero to be shown as a human, not a cartoon. I don't want to see some ugly guy with a large nose and little round glasses (because that's how he looked the ENTIRE TIME don't you know?), or some guy with an exaggerated accent try and fake their way through some poorly written "wit." I want real. I want grit. This story is heartbreaking. The lady who played Julia was astonishingly good. Very beautiful, very graceful, delicate, vulnerable, sweet. Mimi was amazing- strong, snappy, loyal, good-hearted.

And then I loved John's character. I don't care if he had blue eyes, that boy really took on the role of who John was. John was a real "tough" person since he was very little, and he had that exterior of force/power- almost too intimidating to approach. But within him was the soul of a poet, a lover, a tender and loving person. I was happy with the film and I want more like this.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 08:12 PM   #23
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly View Post
And then I loved John's character. I don't care if he had blue eyes, that boy really took on the role of who John was. John was a real "tough" person since he was very little, and he had that exterior of force/power- almost too intimidating to approach. But within him was the soul of a poet, a lover, a tender and loving person. I was happy with the film and I want more like this.
I've come to think that since it is impossible for any actor to really, truly capture that indefinable charm that was John Lennon's, I'm okay with the old Hollywood trick of using a super-attractive person to play the lead. Especially since Aaron is a talented actor and he seemed to really understand the very complicated character he was playing... an extremely sensitive, vulnerable, and charismatic yet guarded and cynical and sharp teenager.

Good job, la!

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:09 AM   #24
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly View Post
The lady who played Julia was astonishingly good. Very beautiful, very graceful, delicate, vulnerable, sweet. Mimi was amazing- strong, snappy, loyal, good-hearted.

I was happy with the film and I want more like this.
Hmm, no honestly, I didn't like the acting of the woman who played Julia at all; too childish, too enthousiastic, too sexy (too much of everything) and especially too young to be realistic. When I saw her the first time on the screen, I thought she played the cousin of John, before realizing that she actually was Julia

On the other hand, Mimi was brilliantly played; the best actress (physically and verbally) of the movie to me

Snoopy
Old May 03, 2012, 06:35 AM   #25
J.Winston.L
Nowhere Man

I got the dvd a few months ago and have only watched it once.
I want to watch it again but I keep putting it off.
I can only handle so much reality when concerning Lennon, still heart broken.
Old May 03, 2012, 07:25 AM   #26
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Winston.L View Post
I got the dvd a few months ago and have only watched it once.
I want to watch it again but I keep putting it off.
I can only handle so much reality when concerning Lennon, still heart broken.
I only watched it once and I really want to watch it again too... but I keep putting it off like you, funny... I guess I do that for the same reason.

But tell us what you think about the movie ?

Snoopy
Old May 03, 2012, 07:44 AM   #27
J.Winston.L
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy66 View Post
I only watched it once and I really want to watch it again too... but I keep putting it off like you, funny... I guess I do that for the same reason.

But tell us what you think about the movie ?

Snoopy
Technically speaking, it was a very well made movie and all the actors I thought were very good.
As far as the "facts" go, I don't know I wasn't there.
But it did throw a whole lot of light on why John was like he was.
And I thought that was great because of that hatchet job book done by,...um, I don't even remember the jerk's name.
Also there was a couple of things that I strongly identified with.
Remember when John said, "oh why couldn't I have been born Elvis?!?"
I said that too but about John when I was a teen.
Also I used to steal records from the department stores as a kid.
But unlike John I knew what I was stealing and never threw them away.
And when he got jazz records he said some negative things about jazz, I too didn't like jazz as a teen, but I got heavily into it in my late 20's, I love Miles Davis.

Last edited by J.Winston.L : May 03, 2012 at 07:46 AM.
J.Winston.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2012, 08:22 AM   #28
wildewoman
Taxman

Quote:
Technically speaking, it was a very well made movie and all the actors I thought were very good.
As far as the "facts" go, I don't know I wasn't there.
But it did throw a whole lot of light on why John was like he was.
And I thought that was great because of that hatchet job book done by,...um, I don't even remember the jerk's name.
Also there was a couple of things that I strongly identified with.
Remember when John said, "oh why couldn't I have been born Elvis?!?"
I said that too but about John when I was a teen.
And when he got jazz records he said some negative things about jazz, I too didn't like jazz as a teen, but I got heavily into it in my late 20's, I love Miles Davis.
Especially his hoops playing!
Ever see the video of John and Miles shooting hoops? Let's just say they both made the right decision by not giving up their day jobs for a shot at the NBA. I should look it up and post it; it's hilarious....

I think that the movie (Nowhere Boy) was VERY accurate in SPIRIT. Sure, there were artistic licenses taken, but the SPIRIT and EMOTION of the movie was spot-on.

Last edited by wildewoman : May 03, 2012 at 08:24 AM.
wildewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2012, 08:52 AM   #29
J.Winston.L
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildewoman View Post
Ever see the video of John and Miles shooting hoops? Let's just say they both made the right decision by not giving up their day jobs for a shot at the NBA. I should look it up and post it; it's hilarious....

Hmmm, no I never saw it and not sure I want to.
Wouldn't want to see some of my heros looking bad, neither Lennon or Miles looked very athletic.

Last edited by J.Winston.L : May 03, 2012 at 08:53 AM.
J.Winston.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2012, 05:51 AM   #30
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
John hated jazz because the early Beatles were often turned down by the clubs, as in the late 50's and early 60's, jazz-music was very popular then. That's what they wanted to show in the movie, I guess.

Snoopy
Old May 06, 2012, 08:05 AM   #31
wildewoman
Taxman

Default I can resist everything except temptation.....

Off topic, of course, and the camerawork is worse than "The Blair Witch Project" although I believe it was actually shot by Jonas Mekkas.

wildewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2012, 08:08 AM   #32
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Talking Two sportmen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildewoman View Post
Off topic, of course, and the camerawork is worse than "The Blair Witch Project" although I believe it was actually shot by Jonas Mekkas.

Oh yes, that's great stuff: John and Miles playing basketball together; I love that part...

Snoopy
Old May 06, 2012, 08:17 AM   #33
J.Winston.L
Nowhere Man

That must have been at John's place because of the psychedelic Rolls Royce in the garage.
Old May 06, 2012, 09:41 AM   #34
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy66 View Post
John hated jazz because the early Beatles were often turned down by the clubs
John hated jazz because it was considered a very middle class thing... something enjoyed by hipster college students. He never gave it any chance because of his own hang-ups and insecurities and his natural tendency to rebel against anything he perceived as elitist and/or snobby.

Quote:
That must have been at John's place because of the psychedelic Rolls Royce in the garage.
It was at Allen Klein's place... it was a party for his wife's birthday. But, yeah... that's John's Rolls.

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote