BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Beatles Forums > Abbey Road

Old Feb 28, 2001, 07:56 AM   #1
litlringo
Nowhere Man

Default Today in Beatle History

This topic is for disscusing what event took place in Beatle history on this day. Example: Today in Beatle history Ringo started the shooting of "The Magic Christian".
Please begin each quote with Today in Beatle history.

-Erica
litlringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2001, 02:27 AM   #2
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

Default Re: Today in Beatle History

March 1st
---------

Concert at the Odeon, Southport (Helen Shapiro Tour).

UK single release: `How Do You Do It', debut of Gerry and the Pacemakers.

`Please Please Me' single number 1, 2nd week (UK New Musical Express chart).

Studio 2. 10.00am-1.30pm. Recording: `I'm Happy Just To Dance With You' (takes 1-4); `Long Tall Sally' (take 1); `I Call Your Name' (takes 1-7). Producer: George Martin; Engineer: Norman Smith; 2nd Engineer: Richard Langham.
Start of sessions for `Long Tall Sally' EP.
1st Sunday session.

BBC-TV transmits `The Beatles At The Shea Stadium' film.

Studio 2. 7.00pm-2.15am. Recording: `A Day In The Life' (overdub onto take 6); `Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds' (take 1-7, tape reduction take 7 into take 8). Producer: George Martin; Engineer: Geoff Emerick; 2nd Engineer: Richard Lush.

Day planned for Brian's vacation trip to Mexico.

Fans occupy the Cavern, protesting against its closing.

Ringo and Maureen return to London.

`Yellow Submarine' LP, 7th week in the Top 30 (Billboard).

Transmision, on the Ed Sullivan Show, of `Let It Be' and `Two Of Us' clips. Last time, in life of the group, they appear in the programme.

Extension is granted to John's visa for temporary residence in the USA.

Recording of `Some Time In New York City' begins.

John and Yoko attend the ceremony of Grammy Awards.

Moyzes Hall of the Slovak Philharmonic, Bratislavia. End of recording of `The Beatles Go Baroque', with Peter Breiner and his chamber orchestra. Producer: Leos Komarek; Engineer: Otto Nopp.

------------------
Housing one of THE biggest collection of clues in a single website, Paul is Dead – The Conclusive Evidence will change the way you think about this massive conspiracy.
Harb83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2001, 07:12 AM   #3
litlringo
Nowhere Man

Whoa! That's a lot of dates! I'm gonna post some more, k? I think I know some others!

-Erica
Old Mar 01, 2001, 07:17 AM   #4
litlringo
Nowhere Man

Wait! I know where you went to get all those! And you copied and pasted them too! I was gonna do the same thing, but I went to that site and realized that what it said were the exact same things you posted! Clever indeed...

-Erica
Old Mar 01, 2001, 09:25 AM   #5
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

I think this proves that we're both cheats.

------------------
Housing one of THE biggest collection of clues in a single website, Paul is Dead – The Conclusive Evidence will change the way you think about this massive conspiracy.
Old Mar 02, 2001, 07:20 AM   #7
litlringo
Nowhere Man

Okay it's March 2:
Performance at the Cavern.

`Please Please Me' single number 1, 1st week (UK Melody Market chart).

Concert at the City Hall, Sheffield (Helen Shapiro tour).

US single release: `Twist And Shout'/`There's A Place'.

The `Daily Mail' names Brian among Britain's Most Eligible Bachelors.

Start of work on `A Hard Day's Night' film, at Twickenham Studios. Shooting at Paddington Station, on board a train leaving from it.
6.43pm. After spending all day filming, the Beatles jump off the train at Acton (Main Line) Station, and speed away in a limousine.

[Some day between 2 and 6 March 1964.] After a day of filming in the West Country for `A Hard Day's Night', the Beatles return to Westbourne Park Station, London.

George and Pattie meet.

Brian flies to New York to finish plans for the next Beatles tour.

`Rubber Soul', 13th week in the Top 10 (UK New Musical Express chart).

Studio 2. 7.00pm-3.30am. Recording: `Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds' (overdub onto take 8). Mono mixing: `Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds' (remixes 1-11, from take 8). Producer: George Martin; Engineer: Geoff Emerick; 2nd Engineer: Richard Lush.

The Beatles are awarded two Grammys (`Eleanor Rigby' and `Revolver'). [11 March?]

John and Yoko perform at the Lady Mitchell Hall, Cambridge, in a Jazz Festival. Recording: `Let's Go On Flying'; `Snow Is Falling All The Time'; `Don't Worry Kyoko'; `Song For John'; `Cambridge 1969'.
1st solo performance of a Beatle, and 1st public performance of John and Yoko. Partially included on `Unfinished Music Number 2--Life With The Lions'.

Judge Ira Fieldsteel rules that John must leave the US voluntarily within the next 60 days or face deportation. Yoko is granted permanent residency.

Heehee I beat you, Harb!

-Erica
Old Mar 02, 2001, 08:05 AM   #8
Eleanor_rigby
Wild Honey Pie

Send a message via Yahoo to Eleanor_rigby

Very funny you to should be ashamed!!!!

------------------
Fab 4 Forever!
Gotta visit THE site!

eleanor_rigby_97@hotmail.com

"Give us a Kiss"
Eleanor_rigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2001, 08:23 AM   #9
Harb83
Co-Admin Geezer

So he should be.

------------------
Old Mar 03, 2001, 12:58 AM   #11
Lucy

Send a message via AIM to Lucy Send a message via MSN to Lucy

Well it's March 3 over here so I'm going to take advantage of the timezone:

1961: Performance at St John's Hall, Bootle, Lancashire.

1962: Performance at The Cavern and the boys are released from their 1961 recording contract by Bert Kaempfert at Brian Epstein's request.

1963: The last show on the Helen Shapiro tour. Gaumont Cinema, Hanley in Staffordshire.

1964: Filming AHDN on location between London and Minehead.

I'll leave it at that so you sneaky little people can do your cheating for the rest of the dates. There will probably be some different ones for '61-'64 because I did these ones the honest way....
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2001, 07:35 AM   #12
litlringo
Nowhere Man

Lol, Okay, just a sec. I gotta go copy the date stuff for today!

-Erica
Old Mar 06, 2001, 07:39 AM   #13
litlringo
Nowhere Man

Here's today! I wonder if that guy has to go to his site every day and change it? That'd sure suck!

The Playhouse Theatre, Manchester. 8.00-8.45pm. Recording for BBC's `Here We Go': `Misery'; `Do You Want To Know A Secret'; `Please Please Me'; `I Saw Her Standing There'.
Only live take of `Do You Want To Know A Secret'. 1st time `Do You Want To Know A Secret' and `Misery' are heard by the public.
Last performance for `Here We Go'.

Chile single release: `I Want To Hold Your Hand'/`This Boy'. 1st Beatles single in Chile.

Annual ball held by the Hospital Wing Aid Committee of the Home for Aged Jews, at the Adelphi Hotel, Liverpool. This year the dinner is in honour of Brian. Guests, among others: Brian, Gerry Marsden, Alma Cogan, Lionel Bart, Bernard Delfont, Maurice Kinn.

Shooting of early scenes for `A Hard Day's Night' at Paddington Station, on board a chartered train leaving from Paddington Station.
[Some day between 2 and 6 March 1964.] After a day of filming in the West Country for `A Hard Day's Night', the Beatles return to Westbourne Park Station, London.

`Beatles For Sale' is replaced by `Rolling Stones II' as number 1 (UK Record Retailer chart).

Studio 2. 7.00pm-12.30am. Recording: `Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' (overdub onto take 10). Mono mixing:: `Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' (remixes 2, 3, from take 10). Stereo mixing: `Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' (remixes 1-8, from take 10). Producer: George Martin; Engineer: Geoff Emerick; 2nd Engineer: Richard Lush.
Recording of sound effects, except public screaming.

UK single release: `Let It Be'/`You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)'.

US gold certification: LP `Hey Jude'.

The extension of Lennon's US visa is cancelled by the director of the district of New York, Sol Marks, under a request of the Immigration Service.

UK release: `The Singles Collection' (23 singles).
Old Mar 06, 2001, 02:22 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by litlringo:
Here's today! I wonder if that guy has to go to his site every day and change it? That'd sure suck!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be a bummer, wouldn't it. Luckily for him though I'm sure he's only had to input all the information (dates, events, etc) once, and it's all been set to show up on whatever date it is listed for... so it'll just keep repeating itself year after year.

Old Mar 06, 2001, 09:17 PM   #15
joe
Taxman

i heard that today in 1976 john got his deportation papers. i wish i had the letter in "somewhere in nyc" album that asked for john to stay in the usa but i mailed it in. i wish i had kept it, cause only yoko's pregnancy kept him here. shame, maybe he shouldn't.

------------------
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2001, 07:17 AM   #16
litlringo
Nowhere Man

Haha! Here's today!

The Playhouse Theatre, Hulme, Manchester. 8.00-8.45pm. Recording for BBC's `Teenager's Turn (Here We Go)': `Hello Little Girl'; `Memphis Tennessee'; `Dream Baby'; `Please Mister Postman'.
1st BBC session. In front of a live audience. 1st public performance in the Beno Dorn worsted stage suits.
Pete Best on drums.
1st live show preserved on tape, only recording of `Dream Baby', and only live performances of `Memphis Tennessee' and `Please Mister Postman'.

Brian organizes the 1st of the new concert series, `Mersey Beat Showcase', with The Beatles, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Billy J. Kramer with the Dakotas, and the Big Three.

`With The Beatles' number 1, 14th week (UK Record Retailer chart).
`I Want To Hold Your Hand' number 1, 6th week, 8th week in the Top 100 (Billboard).
`She Loves You', 7th week in the Top 100 (Billboard).
`Please Please Me', 6th week in the Top 100 (Billboard).
`I Saw Her Standing There', 5th week in the Top 100 (Billboard).
`From Me To You', 1st week in the Top 100 (Billboard).

Recording of an extense interview to Brian for `Frankly Speaking', programme of the BBC North-East Home Service.

1st issue of `Gerry and the Pacemakers', edited by Sean O'Mahoney, is published.

Mike Millward, founder and member of the Fourmost, dies in the Bromborough Hospital, Cheshire.

Studio 2. 7.00pm-2.30am. Recording: `Lovely Rita' (overdub onto take 11). Producer: George Martin; Engineer: Geoff Emerick; 2nd Engineer: Richard Lush.
Miscellaneous overdubs for the end.

`Live Peace In Toronto', 9th week in the ranking (Billboard).
`Instant Karma! (We All Shine On)', 3rd week in the ranking (Billboard).

The process of expulsion of John from the USA begins. Federal authorities indicate John Lindsay, New York prefect, how to proceed in the case.

BBC broadcasts a 2-hour radio programme, in celebration of the 20th anniversary of the Beatles 1st BBC session.

Startling Studios. 1st session, recording basic tracks for LP `Old Wave'. Producer: Jim Nipar.

UK single release: `Money (That's What I Want)', with the Backbeat band.
Old Mar 07, 2001, 07:22 AM   #17
litlringo
Nowhere Man

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nowhere Man:
That would be a bummer, wouldn't it. Luckily for him though I'm sure he's only had to input all the information (dates, events, etc) once, and it's all been set to show up on whatever date it is listed for... so it'll just keep repeating itself year after year.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but he'd still have to type all that for all 365 days of the year to make it be on his site! It's a cool site though. It was worth it. I think he's the same guy who made the Beatle portfolio stuff too. Those are real cool too. They have a lot of good facts and info.

-Erica

Old Mar 07, 2001, 06:36 PM   #19
darkhorse
Sun King

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by litlringo:
Chile single release: `I Want To Hold Your Hand'/`This Boy'. 1st Beatles single in Chile.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You all are so copying and pasting... There's no way you could know a thing like that, because there isn't a Beatle book that mentions Chile at all, except the ones that are written by chilean people (and I think that site's webmaster is some guy called Victor Muñoz, who's, guess what, a chilean guy )

I was going to ask that in the trivia forum.
You didn't let me... But I quickly forgive you.

------------------
"It's all within yourself
No-one else can make you change."
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2001, 07:05 PM   #20
jami
Bulldog

Originally posted by darkhorse:
You all are so copying and pasting...

Heeehee! You are so cute, Darkhorse! Look at you being all silly!
jami is offline   Reply With Quote