BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Jan 08, 2012, 06:52 AM   #41
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Smile My favourite passages of the book

Interesting enough, my favourite parts of "Starting over" often have a relation to Yoko

For instance, this quote on page 69 is a real classic to me:

If John didn't agree with Yoko's input, he'd say "Shut up mother, and go sell some fu*** cows !

A similar one is to be found on page 89 (just note that there is a again the number 9 ):

John did a drawing-portrait of himself (on page 88). When Yoko said something which annoyed him, he would hold it up and say: "Yes, dear".

I just love this kind of humour (especially when it's on the cost of Yoko ). Further, I find the way that John used to communicate with drawings very funny. I think it even already influenced me for work; sometimes I add a clip-art on my notes for my boss, before handing it out.

I just wonder, if other readers have also favourite passages to quote ??

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2012, 11:21 PM   #42
Apple Scruff
Sun King

^ Oh those are good ones Snoopy! I'm going to share mine very soon...just give me a little time to compile some.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:08 PM   #43
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Default In The Studio

Snoopy asked if we could post some of our favorite passages, and I thought I would post a few at a time. This comes from the chapter "In The Studio:"

Andy Newmark (drummer): John had cassette demos of the tunes with just guitar or piano, and his voice. He would play us the cassette demo and then sit with the guitar or at the piano and play the tune and sing it. We would listen and eventually pick up our instruments and start playing along. Once we played it awhile, maybe ten or fifteen minutes, he'd stop playing and go into the control room and listen closely to everyone's parts. In the beginning he couldn't remember our names because we were all new people to him, so it took a week before he had our names right. I thought that was funny. He would never try to hide the fact that he didn't know my name. In typical John Lennon fashion, he actually would exploit the fact that he didn't know my name. He'd say, "Hey, drummer, do this and don't do that." He took completely charge musically, right from the first song. If something didn't sound right he'd go, "That sucks guys" or "No, no, I don't like that at all."

Tony Levin (bass): I was not surprised as impressed that when John first would sing a song to us, it was so complete. The form was all worked out, the lyrics were great, and the groove right there in the guitar. You just knew what to play. All you had to do was pick up your instrument and play along. That made it so easy and such a joy for all of us. Playing bass or drums in a situation like that is the easiest thing in the world. There's no searching for the right tempo, or what kind of feel it should have. It's all there for you and you just have a ball. That's the way it was with all of his songs, and I was loving it. What's not to love about suddenly being the bass player and right in front of you is John Lennon singing a John Lennon song?

Last edited by Apple Scruff : Feb 20, 2012 at 02:08 PM.
Apple Scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:20 PM   #44
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Default In The Studio (continued)

Earl Slick (guitar): John was the funniest guy I ever worked with in my life as far as working with other musicians. He was funnier than sh1t. You're looking at a guy who was in the Beatles, a guy who was in the limelight with all the peace movements, but push comes to shove, what you really had was a working-class kid from Liverpool with a damn good sense of humor that loved playing rock and roll music. And he was having a f*****' ball.

Julie Last (assistant engineer): In the studio, John was very enthusiastic, silly, but serious, too. When necessary, he would focus intently on working out the music. I remember he also did these funny little countoffs in the beginning of each take.

George Small (keyboards): His positive energy was infectious. He always had something funny to say. I always felt a sense of respect. He would never get so impatient about something that he would be abusive to anyone in any way.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 01:17 PM   #45
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Thumbs up Great input

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
Earl Slick (guitar): John was the funniest guy I ever worked with in my life as far as working with other musicians. He was funnier than sh1t. You're looking at a guy who was in the Beatles, a guy who was in the limelight with all the peace movements, but push comes to shove, what you really had was a working-class kid from Liverpool with a damn good sense of humor that loved playing rock and roll music. And he was having a f*****' ball.

George Small (keyboards): His positive energy was infectious. He always had something funny to say. I always felt a sense of respect. He would never get so impatient about something that he would be abusive to anyone in any way.
Thank's for those extracts, Scruffie

Oh yes, I remember those very well; they belong to my favourite too. I love to read again and again about John's sense of humour, this is the "trademark" of him I enjoy most, beside his music

Snoopy
Old May 18, 2012, 02:54 PM   #46
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Question The Cheap Tricks Sessions

I thought we could give this thread a revival. I really wonder what you think about the partnership of John and Cheap Trick on DF... ?

Personally, I never quite understood, why they were in the album-project. Though I have nothing against Cheap Trick, but I wonder if their contribution was necessary to DF ? O.k., it was just a few sessions, still.

They had fun recording "Losing you" and had a good time jamming together, according to their statements. But finally, their versions were cut off because they sounded to aggressive for the nature of the album.

It gets highly interesting on page 107 when Jack Douglas quotes "From my perspective those versions didn't make it because Yoko thought we were giving Cheap Trick a free ride. Who were they to be playing on this record ?".

Further on page 108, Jack quotes [i]"John liked that track so much, but it wasn't worth going up against Yoko for that one."

On the other hand, Jon Smith quotes: John said he didn't like the tracks because they sounded too much like "Cold Turkey" and that was the past and he was moving on to a new sound.

Apparantly, both didn't want the Cheap Trick's versions; was that a right or wrong decision ?

According to Tony Davillo, John got upset later on when reading in the "Rolling Stones" features a Random Notes report on Lennon's new albm featuring assistance from Cheap Trick.

So I'd like to start a discussion, whether it was a good or bad thing, that the tracks with Cheap Trick never came out then ?

Snoopy
Old May 27, 2012, 01:40 PM   #47
wildewoman
Taxman

Jack Douglas has his own take on things. This is an example of the passive-aggressive side of him that keeps me side-eyeing him.

I think the Cheap Trick version is great, and I wish they'd have had more of an opportunity to work with John. But, you know, in 1980 it MIGHT have seemed that John was riding on their coattails, in a way. Cheap Trick were then at the height of their popularity then (and how quickly they fell-8 years later I saw them in a local bar for about 15 bucks). And John was so proud...and insecure...don't know how it would have flown.

Would have been interesting, though.
wildewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012, 06:13 PM   #48
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Thumbs up

Hey Snoopy! I am so glad you bumped up this thread again...this book...

I have to say, I'm with wilde on Jack Douglas. What a contradictory man he is. It seems he has an entirely different attitude than he once had, and yet he also seems to have his little asides here and there. Obviously, he flat-out adored John. Revered him. I don't know what to think, though, of him recording John in the studio behind his back, or his explanation of what happened to that video of John from in studio...

I am utterly grateful FOR LIFE for anything leaked of John's musically. It is all we have, which is the bitter gd horror of it all...so I will take any and all and I would revel in anymore I can have. Whenever I hear something new of John's, no matter the quality even, I am just reminded of his utter greatness and I get emotional. It's hard but I love to experience it as well.
Old May 28, 2012, 06:39 AM   #49
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Smile Cheap Trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildewoman View Post
But, you know, in 1980 it MIGHT have seemed that John was riding on their coattails, in a way. Cheap Trick were then at the height of their popularity then (and how quickly they fell-8 years later I saw them in a local bar for about 15 bucks). And John was so proud...and insecure...don't know how it would have flown.
I see it that way too, Wildewoman

Personally, I think it wouldn't have been that comeback of John, if he had given the impression of "riding on" Cheap Trick's coattails. As you say, John was proud and insecure enough, so... I'm glad that finally he didn't. Nothing against Cheap Trick, but I'm sure it was better that way.

Snoopy
Old May 28, 2012, 07:59 AM   #50
friar-park
Day Tripper

Fab Fourum interviewed the author. Great podcast. You need to give it a shot. They have since renamed the show Fab 4 Free 4 all since one of the hosts left the show. Still a great show!!
The Ken Sharp show is Number 52: http://www.fabfourum.com/audio-gallery.html You can find the show on itunes.
friar-park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012, 08:14 AM   #51
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Smile Jack Douglas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
Hey Snoopy! I am so glad you bumped up this thread again...this book...

I have to say, I'm with wilde on Jack Douglas. What a contradictory man he is. It seems he has an entirely different attitude than he once had, and yet he also seems to have his little asides here and there. Obviously, he flat-out adored John. Revered him. I don't know what to think, though, of him recording John in the studio behind his back, or his explanation of what happened to that video of John from in studio...

I am utterly grateful FOR LIFE for anything leaked of John's musically. It is all we have, which is the bitter gd horror of it all...so I will take any and all and I would revel in anymore I can have. Whenever I hear something new of John's, no matter the quality even, I am just reminded of his utter greatness and I get emotional. It's hard but I love to experience it as well.
Hi Scruffie, nice to have you back around here

Like you, I find Jack Douglas very contradictory. I can't "get" him either, as he changed his attitude.

Well, I'm not sure if he really recorded John behind his back; can't imagine that John didn't notice that, can you ? Oh yes, I would know what happened to that mysterious tape too. Well, I guess we'll never know; that's a shame.

Yes, yes, I'm utterly gratefull as well for anything new that leaks out about John's life. Fortunately, nowadays it's much more easy thanks to internet to get such news than 20 years before. Personally, I learnt a lot about John in the past 10 years this way.

Snoopy
Old May 28, 2012, 03:39 PM   #52
wildewoman
Taxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy66 View Post
I see it that way too, Wildewoman

Personally, I think it wouldn't have been that comeback of John, if he had given the impression of "riding on" Cheap Trick's coattails. As you say, John was proud and insecure enough, so... I'm glad that finally he didn't. Nothing against Cheap Trick, but I'm sure it was better that way.

Snoopy
I suppose I didn't express myself clearly enough. I don't think John would have felt he was riding on Cheap Trick's coattails, and I don't think the Cheap Trick guys would have felt that way either. I think they were probably simpatico and could have done some interesting and great music together.

I was speaking more about the public perception of the collaboration. Some of the hipster types and hipster critics might have projected it that way. And I think John probably sensed that when he went apish*t over the Random Note in Rolling Stone. And John was far too proud to relish the thought of anyone having that perception.
wildewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012, 07:24 PM   #53
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
I was speaking more about the public perception of the collaboration. Some of the hipster types and hipster critics might have projected it that way. And I think John probably sensed that when he went apish*t over the Random Note in Rolling Stone. And John was far too proud to relish the thought of anyone having that perception.
This. I agree all the way wilde. One thing that is definite is that John Lennon was no slouch in his PR department. Often times he was flat-out genius that even Sir Paul had to be taking notes...but John's comeback was a very exciting and nerve-wrecking time for him in many ways. He wanted things, I'm sure, to be just so. And any angle that may have presented him as leaning on someone else's notoriety may not have been choice. Not for John.
Old May 28, 2012, 08:50 PM   #54
Maia 66
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar-park View Post
Fab Fourum interviewed the author. Great podcast. You need to give it a shot. They have since renamed the show Fab 4 Free 4 all since one of the hosts left the show. Still a great show!!
The Ken Sharp show is Number 52: http://www.fabfourum.com/audio-gallery.html You can find the show on itunes.
Somehow I missed that episode... Thanks for the link!

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012, 08:54 PM   #55
Apple Scruff
Sun King

I'll be checking that out as well!

Ken Sharp, thank you for bringing this outstanding book into the world! I truly love it for so many reasons, but mainly because it gives a very vivid glimpse into a creative genius, his life, his people and all that came together to make timeless art alive.
Old May 29, 2012, 12:13 AM   #56
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Post Collaboration with Cheap Tricks

Quote:
I suppose I didn't express myself clearly enough. I don't think John would have felt he was riding on Cheap Trick's coattails, and I don't think the Cheap Trick guys would have felt that way either. I think they were probably simpatico and could have done some interesting and great music together.

Well, I think I understood you quite correctly. It's obvious that the public and the critics perception would have projected it that way... and probably many fans too (me included, I must admit).

I mean, it was annoying enough that after 5 years of retirement half of his album was filled up with songs of Yoko (not all John-fans are automatically Yoko fans as well) and I didn't like much the fact that John "forced" his fans to listen to his wife's songs as well, by the way. So if the remaing songs of John would have been a mixed with Cheap Trick's music, then sorry, it wouldn't have been a real John-solo-album to me anymore and I guess that many other fans like me would have been deeply disappointed, however good or bad Cheap Tricks music may be.

Snoopy