BeatleLinks LogoNav Panel New Sites Cool Sites Top Rated Fab Forum Add A Site Link To Us Revolution Radio New Products

Go Back   BeatleLinks Fab Forum > Solo Forums > Menlove Avenue

Old Dec 16, 2011, 07:48 AM   #1
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Thumbs down Article "John Lennon "died" long before his official passing"

I came across an odd article, in which the author (a Beatles-fan) claims that John "died" as a musician at 31 years, after the release of "Imagine" and pretends that the last 10 years of John's life were largely "wasteland"

Puh, this is hard to take Although I never thought that it was John's best idea to move to the States, I found John's life in N.Y. musically interesting and it's just ridiculous to say that he lost his talent there. He developped his career in his own way and was still creative.

I really wonder what other fans - especially from the States - think of that article ?

Just read this:

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/2640...es-england.htm

Snoopy
Snoopy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:52 PM   #2
wildewoman
Taxman

Default I can answer that in two words....

Not much.
wildewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2011, 01:40 PM   #3
Fly
Dr. Robert

Default Well I'M not so composed

I just came back from writing the lovely Mr. Ghosh an informative email, telling him precisely when and how he can shove his disrespectful and nasty article up hi a**.

I'm very sorry that I don't have the ability to refrain myself from morons the way you people do, but I have never been able to keep my mouth shut.

This 'highly informed' journalist states that the "last ten or so" years of John's life were already dead. Let's see, that is not conveninently 1971 after he released Imagine, but in fact the years 1970-1980 he is saying. I mean, we have to go by HIS words, right?

So this brilliant man has informed us that everything John did in those years was irrelevant. And all I have to say is ten words into his article and it's already irrelevant. As is he, as is his stupid, heartless point.

Last week my son told me his favorite John song is Whatever Gets You Through The Night. My kid's rooms are heavily influenced by the 'Real Love' collection of drawings and such that were made, coicidentally, in those years John had already died. My two favorite John albums, "Walls and Bridges" and "Mind Games" were also made then so guess I'm into irrelavant music. And one of my favorite books, "Skywriting," was also written then- yep, complete garbage.

I can understand if the person came at it with a little more of a sincere bend, but this article is nothing more than another way to tarnish John. Dumb. Poorly written. Irrelevant.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 02:58 PM   #4
wildewoman
Taxman

The guy used to work on Wall Street. Google him. He's just another d-bag with an opinion (pardon my candor). What, exactly, are his qualifications? I'd say his qualifications are no greater, and probably a lot less, than the people who post on this board.

Last edited by wildewoman : Dec 16, 2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 04:40 PM   #5
Apple Scruff
Sun King

I built myself up to respond with a very scathing rebuttal and decided never mind.

Instead, I am going to play my Walls & Bridges album and all my Rock and Roll out-takes and turn my back on this ignorance.

Sometimes I feel like I don't want to come on the internet anymore because real-life people never react this way to John's music when played in Starbucks, the store, the roller rink, or other places.

But I learn to rub it off and realize that some people are very intelligent, and some are rather dense. And we have to live and love them all despite how much they piss us off.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 07:25 PM   #6
wildewoman
Taxman

"I'm just so sick of pedants and conceited little tearer-downers I could scream."
J.D. Salinger, Franny and Zooey
Old Dec 16, 2011, 07:41 PM   #7
wallrus59
Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildewoman View Post
The guy used to work on Wall Street. Google him. He's just another d-bag with an opinion (pardon my candor). What, exactly, are his qualifications? I'd say his qualifications are no greater, and probably a lot less, than the people who post on this board.
well you know ww, what they say about opinions they are like a$$h**es and everybody has one.....
well this guy can take his opinion and cram it up his other opinion....
i think you get my drift.

something must have happened to his hearing after '71...like he went deaf.

peace,

gk.

Last edited by wallrus59 : Dec 16, 2011 at 07:44 PM. Reason: it's cold out
wallrus59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2011, 05:51 AM   #8
LiverpoolLou
Little Child

"I believe the last ten or so years of John’s life was largely a wasteland where he accomplished very little and simply atrophied creatively, rendering him a virtual recluse and irrelevant."

He can't win really can he? If he'd have carried on engrossed in work, recording maybe touring to boot, he would no doubt have been raked through the mud for that aswell, having the "bad father" tag pinned on him once again... and anyway, seeing as most of John's creativity came from personal experiences it was all work in progress, as we got to see and hear later when he once again gave us some wonderful music, which was no doubt born from his time spent with Sean and all the new ways of looking at life and relationships that brought with it... AND, what about Double Fantasy? Milk and Honey? combine the best of those together and imo, it matches Imagine, easily... and as mentioned by Fly, Walls And Bridges and Mind Games, where was this guy when John gave us those two beauties?...

The indepth interview John gave during the latter half of 80 didn't sound like a man who had "atrophied" and was "irrelevant" he was bursting with creativity, drive and passion - you could hear it, how could you miss it?...

One last niggle... "the dreary grey town of Liverpool" Call it dreary if you will but it's a CITY, and by British standards a large one at that...

Last edited by LiverpoolLou : Dec 17, 2011 at 06:42 AM.
LiverpoolLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:42 AM   #9
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

What surprised me most, is the fact the author pretends to be a Beatles-fan

He writes that John gave up drugs, settled downed and raised his son Sean in America, then asks "was it worth it" ? That's a stupid question indeed

John found in N.Y. what he was looking for: to live a "normal" life and I'm glad that he could enjoy his last years as a husband and father. No really, this writer doesn't "get" John at all...

Snoopy
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:51 AM   #10
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy66 View Post
What surprised me most, is the fact the author pretends to be a Beatles-fan

He writes that John gave up drugs, settled downed and raised his son Sean in America, then asks "was it worth it" ? That's a stupid question indeed

John found in N.Y. what he was looking for: to live a "normal" life and I'm glad that he could enjoy his last years as a husband and father. No really, this writer doesn't "get" John at all...

Snoopy
The thing about it is, people can reminisce had he not moved to New York City... to the high moons and nothing will change the fact. John wanted to leave England. This is something inconceivable to a lot of people (not on here, but elsewhere), but did it ever occur to them he was happy to live there? I mean, aside from his public declarations of love for the city, John was at ease and completely in his element there. It was fast-paced, exciting, colorful, enriching, and the CENTER OF THE WORLD. NYC has the same type of personality as John Lennon, and the people there loved him.

Don't blame New York, blame the gun laws. Maia has said it from the start and I am officially in her camp. That ****** should never have been anywhere in the proximity of a gun. It's sick, sad, twisted.

Much like this article actually. I am with everyone else, and the comments section under the article. There is nothing here valid enough for me to really say more about. They said it all, and better. The guy should be ashamed of himself.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 11:09 AM   #11
Maia 66
Sun King

I haven't even read the article because this kind of crap juts irritates me... and, like wallrus, I think every a$$h*le is entitled to his opinion. But the fact that he's a Wall Street cretin type only furthers my belief that not everyone's cool enough to get John Lennon's music... I mean, what was this guy listening to in 1974, anyway? Was he more the John Denver type... or was it Grand Funk Railroad?

All I want is the truth
Just give me some truth...

Last edited by Maia 66 : Dec 17, 2011 at 11:10 AM.
Maia 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2011, 12:11 PM   #12
Snoopy66
Paperback Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Scruff View Post
Don't blame New York, blame the gun laws. Maia has said it from the start and I am officially in her camp. That ****** should never have been anywhere in the proximity of a gun. It's sick, sad, twisted.
I fully agree with you, Scruffie

It wasn't the city of New York which killed John; the people loved him there, as he loved N.Y.

Snoopy
Old Dec 17, 2011, 11:04 PM   #13
wildewoman
Taxman

F***face McGee was from Hawaii by way of Georgia. New Yorkers had NOTHING to do with John's death.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 11:16 PM   #14
Apple Scruff
Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildewoman View Post
F***face McGee was from Hawaii by way of Georgia. New Yorkers had NOTHING to do with John's death.
Wilde, you remind me (very positively) of this man I spotted at Strawberry Fields on the night of John's 30th anniversary. He was a New Yorker engaged passionately in a conversation with another. He said, "People want to blame New York for what happened, but that isn't true! We LOVED him! That f***** was from Hawaii!!!"

I mean, it's true.